Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Cop
Jun 29, 2023

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS4_K5_tHbg

I'm always a little frustrated with this channel because it's like, okay, you've managed to fire clay bricks, and smelt iron into a knife, and tap into mechanical power... now please just loving build an industrial society already

except all he ever does is more and more videos of charcoal making and smelting iron prills. There's a next step to that!!!

maybe he just doesn't like the consequences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

nice obelisk idiot posted:

he'd have to start the process of material accumulation via social exploitation. right now, it looks like he's alone in the woods without a shirt on.

yeah that's the limiting factor now. he'd have to have a steam shovel mining ore

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
he's hit the limit. all these survival guys building their little dirt huts. its not big enough for a wife and ten kids, is it? nobody wants to see a youtube video about your staggering, self-inflicted infant mortality rate.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm always a little frustrated with this channel because it's like, okay, you've managed to fire clay bricks, and smelt iron into a knife, and tap into mechanical power... now please just loving build an industrial society already

except all he ever does is more and more videos of charcoal making and smelting iron prills. There's a next step to that!!!

I wonder if he could harness the wind whooshing from this post to stoke his next smelting fire

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
why doesnt he weave a shirt. make some shoes

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

lmao dudes rock

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mantis42 posted:

he should find someone weaker than him and enslave them

He's found them already. It's his audience.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Paladinus posted:

He's found them already. It's his audience.

Also possibly the cameraman

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
If it's wrong to watch a twunk make charcoal I don't want to be right

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I enjoy how there's literally no explanation of what's going on or what he's doing or what why

if you watch enough of the videos you start to recognize patterns in the process and what certain functions do.

I'm always pleased when i can figure out what the gently caress he's trying to accomplish before he gets to the end of a step. like sometimes he'll be curing a kiln and you can predict that he'll salvage some ore from the cavity after the fire is done.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I enjoy how there's literally no explanation of what's going on or what he's doing or what why

if you watch enough of the videos you start to recognize patterns in the process and what certain functions do.

I'm always pleased when i can figure out what the gently caress he's trying to accomplish before he gets to the end of a step. like sometimes he'll be curing a kiln and you can predict that he'll salvage some ore from the cavity after the fire is done.

It's in the subtitles

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's in the subtitles

yeah but I can't read so it's a mystery box still

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/LegoRacers2/status/1753448228513841467?s=20

The first political Wojak

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

thoughts:

hoover was probably as smart as people say he was
digging harding's style
obama you lame new yorker gently caress
lbj and reagan lol

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

lmao

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

as if we needed more proof that all presidents are insane

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i wonder how many samurai swords eisenhower traded for or took from underlings during the war. swinging 'em around and making whooshing noises in the white house

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Of course Obamas is the loving lamest

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I don't know how to feel about the fact that I share doodling habits with Nixon. All my undergraduate notebooks are filled with shaded, semi-tesselated triangles like that

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mr. Lobe posted:

I don't know how to feel about the fact that I share doodling habits with Nixon. All my undergraduate notebooks are filled with shaded, semi-tesselated triangles like that

we are destined for greatness.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://x.com/redrum_panda/status/1753334733881348178?s=20

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

my butt is easily hurt that's why I cover it in protective blue jeans

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

honestly it sounds like the report is quite effective given that they submitted it to the principal

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ArmedZombie posted:

as if we needed more proof that all presidents are insane

What's so insane about doodling?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Tag yourself, im woman like hormones

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I'm 4 and 5

Morbus
May 18, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think the years-long trajectory/objective of that channel has been basically "trying to come up with a reasonable iron-smelting process using stone age technology". And so far, while he's made progress, he really isn't there.

I think it's an interesting goal for a few reasons. For one, just about every technological culture developed iron metallurgy well after copper (and maybe bronze if tin was available). Despite iron's abundance and advantages, smelting it is more difficult, but once societies do develop iron technology, it pretty much invariably becomes dominant. There's no fundamental reason why a culture couldn't shortcut straight to iron metallurgy, and it's an interesting question to wonder how that would have worked and what the consequences might have been.

Secondly, there are a few examples of cultures who developed iron metallurgy relatively early, and some without ever having had a real bronze age. In parts of west africa, this technology seems to have been developed independently and perhaps earlier than the rest of the world, but owing to the difficulties of iron smelting and other socio-technological factors, it never developed into the large-scale production associated with the iron age. What if it had? How close were they? What improvements could have been made using the technology and energy sources of the time? Imo these are really cool questions and taking the time to "develop" this kind of ancient technology is very interesting.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

awesome

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Buck Wildman posted:

my butt is easily hurt that's why I cover it in protective blue jeans

dont you mean "easliy"

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
they closed last year. rip

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

Tag yourself, im woman like hormones

The thing that gets me is that it says "company", no coach would call his team a company so that means I'm the insane business owner who posted it to Facebook for coach to steal.

V-- It being military explains a lot.

nomad2020 has issued a correction as of 22:43 on Feb 2, 2024

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

nomad2020 posted:

The thing that gets me is that it says "company", no coach would call his team a company so that means I'm the insane business owner who posted it to Facebook for coach to steal.

The first time I saw that, years and years ago, it was apparently given out to someone in the military, which also makes the word "company" make sense.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Obama has his own Max Stirner!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

tk posted:

Here we go.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

don’t post yospos in here

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

lumpentroll posted:

don’t post yospos in here

turn your monitor on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

there's extensive captioning. you need to turn the captions on