Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
update on the tencent buying dnd thing

tl;dr, no Wizco is not going to sell dnd to Tencent. It's possible/probable that more licensing will happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I wonder what the chinese ttrpg scene is like.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

apparently they're real big on elaborate murder mystery larps.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
amazing things are happening in china

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

other than the jubensha, they're mostly into Call of Cthulhu, apparently, which is a trend they and Korea have imported from Japan

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
https://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/50588/site-news/a-second-historical-note-on-xandering-the-dungeon

An apology?

Eastmabl fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 2, 2024

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Megazver posted:

other than the jubensha, they're mostly into Call of Cthulhu, apparently, which is a trend they and Korea have imported from Japan

Hell yeah. Next step: get them into Glorantha.

China is big enough that there's probably some really interesting obscure hobby scenes.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Counterpoint (and a "Today I Learned...")

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hey all! I'd just like to remind everyone sharing personal experiences and being very open about themselves that this thread is publicly visible and that bad actors have pulled dirt on people from SA posts before. Not once or twice, but many times. Just please be careful, and remember that the audience here isn't just decent and reasonable people.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

dwarf74 posted:

Hey all! I'd just like to remind everyone sharing personal experiences and being very open about themselves that this thread is publicly visible and that bad actors have pulled dirt on people from SA posts before. Not once or twice, but many times. Just please be careful, and remember that the audience here isn't just decent and reasonable people.

We'll just have to fuzz the radar a little. There's a secret word you can say and if I hear it I have to give you a dollar and leave the room every time. Also I think Wentworth Miller was super hot on the Flash.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

theironjef posted:

We'll just have to fuzz the radar a little. There's a secret word you can say and if I hear it I have to give you a dollar and leave the room every time. Also I think Wentworth Miller was super hot on the Flash.
He was so fuckin great. On that note, Legends of Tomorrow was the greatest DC TV show of all time (not counting season 1), and this is a hill I will absolutely die on.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

theironjef posted:

Is the cobbler offer still valid?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Not being on any form of social media except these dead-rear end forums makes me fairly safe.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Midjack posted:

Is the cobbler offer still valid?

I feel weird carrying around cobbler now that I have to be sugar free myself. I might have a lemon-cake flavored quest bar, but those things are like three bucks each.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

FMguru posted:

Counterpoint (and a "Today I Learned...")

There's a dreamlands supplement for CoC?!?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

All I know is, don't try to sell your new Winnie the Pooh RPG there.

"Eeyore, roll to Mope, difficulty 3."
"Why bother, I'll probably just fail the roll anyway..."

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

DalaranJ posted:

I don't know if you're thinking of a different Dreamlands, but HP Lovecraft wrote a lot of stories in his Dreamlands setting so it shouldn't be too surprising that Call of Cthulhu has something that takes place there.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

He was so fuckin great. On that note, Legends of Tomorrow was the greatest DC TV show of all time (not counting season 1), and this is a hill I will absolutely die on.

You’re not wrong.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

DalaranJ posted:

There's been a couple. Not enoguh if you ask me.

Lol, remember when Cthulhutech just nuked the Dreamnlands offscreen?

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I try not to remember anything about Cthulhutech.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

DalaranJ posted:

Since the earliest edition. Here's the original boxed version from 1986

Quite a coup, to have your have sandwiched in the credits between Sandy Petersen and Keith Herber at age 17.

It's been updated and republished for later editions, and there have been some scenarios and campaigns published to go along with it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FMguru posted:

Quite a coup, to have your have sandwiched in the credits between Sandy Petersen and Keith Herber at age 17.

It's been updated and republished for later editions, and there have been some scenarios and campaigns published to go along with it.

that looks quite... bucolic

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

that looks quite... bucolic
I may still have my copy kicking around but yes it's basically Lovecraftian Isekai with space cats.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Why, I myself played a zoog on CthulhuMUD.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

Qualify that with a "live action" or prepare to know my displeasure.

Like I won't actually do anything, I'll just be sad.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

theironjef posted:

Qualify that with a "live action" or prepare to know my displeasure.

Like I won't actually do anything, I'll just be sad.
I can get behind the animated stuff for sure, but none of it has given me such pure joy as watching the Legends go to the set of LotR to convince the actual real voice actor for the season's fictional big bad to read some lines so they could fool someone. I mean, how do you get away with that?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

FMguru posted:

that cockatrice is pretty pleased to see P.T. Barnum riding a zebra to Whiterun, I've had that dream a few times before job interviews

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

I can get behind the animated stuff for sure, but none of it has given me such pure joy as watching the Legends go to the set of LotR to convince the actual real voice actor for the season's fictional big bad to read some lines so they could fool someone. I mean, how do you get away with that?

It's good, but I'll trade it for having the voice actor for the Flash (Michael Rosenbaum who played Lex on Smallville) get an accidental brain transplant so now he's voicing Lex on Justice League Unlimited and saying stuff like "No, I won't wash my hands. Because I'm evil" in a sad attempt to blend in. Though admittedly the best part was when he called very minor Green Lantern villain Evil Star "You. Star Face Guy" and got a response. Evil Star knew how minor he was.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FMguru posted:

I feel like this is a ridiculous thing to say, but I noticed it so I'm gonna say it:
Who the hell holds a telescope up to their right eye with their left hand? The dreamlands are so messed up!

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Leperflesh posted:

I feel like this is a ridiculous thing to say, but I noticed it so I'm gonna say it:
Who the hell holds a telescope up to their right eye with their left hand? The dreamlands are so messed up!

Because the other eye is covered by an eye patch duh

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/01/arts/jennell-jaquays-dead.html

Jennell got an obit in NYT

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

theironjef posted:

It's good, but I'll trade it for having the voice actor for the Flash (Michael Rosenbaum who played Lex on Smallville) get an accidental brain transplant so now he's voicing Lex on Justice League Unlimited and saying stuff like "No, I won't wash my hands. Because I'm evil" in a sad attempt to blend in. Though admittedly the best part was when he called very minor Green Lantern villain Evil Star "You. Star Face Guy" and got a response. Evil Star knew how minor he was.
Oh that's some good poo poo too.

Okay fine. I know what I'm watching today.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

theironjef posted:

And being better in bed than Lex according to Lex's girlfriend Tala, because Lex is obviously a very selfish lover.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You know how you get to be Eternal Champion? Perfect bilateral symmetry.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Notice how you can’t see his right hand? That’s because instead of a hand, he has an entire miniature city populated with thousands of tiny people sticking out of the end of his arm.

That one time he forgot and scratched himself was a disaster of Biblical proportions for the populace.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

If you were to say greatest live action DC TV show I might join you on that hill. But DCAU >> DC Live Action.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Text of the first Kamigakari expansion just dropped, but, weirdly, I didn't get an email notifying me of the KS update. Anyone waiting for that'll probably have to check the KS page.

EDIT: And there's the email, never mind.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 2, 2024

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Narsham posted:

Notice how you can’t see his right hand? That’s because instead of a hand, he has an entire miniature city populated with thousands of tiny people sticking out of the end of his arm.

That one time he forgot and scratched himself was a disaster of Biblical proportions for the populace.

There was a classic sf short story with more or less this premise.

ETA: It was "Starting from Scratch" by Robert Schekley. https://web.archive.org/web/20150317014706/http://www.american-buddha.com/sheckleycanyoufeel.7.htm

fritz fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 2, 2024

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Narsham posted:

fritz posted:

There was a classic sf short story with more or less this premise.

Heluso and Milonda have entered the chat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Lovecraft gets stereotyped a lot but his stories did pretty much run the gamut from more standard pulp horror to gonzo fantasy, some of which went unpublished because it's not what the magazines wanted. And then there's his parody of melodrama, Sweet Ermengarde.