Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Confusion regarding the broader jobs data? Isn't some of this going to be tied to how you might be hiring more people, but giving them less hours because you're no longer (theoretically) squeezing more hours from fewer employees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

it's as if that other jobs data is made up bullshit that is always significantly changed later on

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lol 🤔

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Eric Cantonese posted:

Confusion regarding the broader jobs data? Isn't some of this going to be tied to how you might be hiring more people, but giving them less hours because you're no longer (theoretically) squeezing more hours from fewer employees?

:sam:

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

it's coming, vindication for Doomsday Economics thread

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
It's not as bad as Econ coursework but engineering classes also frequently devolve into using functions that are loosely-at-best tethered to the physical underpinnings of a situation and frequently devolve into just plugging in numbers because it works, kinda.

Its been a while but I'm thinking back to gear tooth design guidelines, laminar vs turbulent flow (hell, almost all of thermofluids), and most of the metallurgy stuff.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Edit: Nevermind

Eric Cantonese has issued a correction as of 16:57 on Feb 2, 2024

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Xaris posted:

whatever happened to that guy saying all this onshoring is DEFINITELY* happening and profitable and it’s just a matter of time before domestic production skyrockets?

there’s a bfc economics thread where all the worst people in the world and the boat guy post

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Mandel Brotset posted:

there’s a bfc economics thread where all the worst people in the world and the boat guy post

The guy who ate off paper plates at his $8k dining room table because he's too fat to load a dishwasher posts there now

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

guillotine

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1753423336409899212

It's just the weather guys!

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

how many loving charts do these guys need?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol Ohioans thought they’d actually be a silicon hub

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

CBus real estate gonna feel the intel news bump?

nahh keep going up

Apr 7, 2003

extremely funny since people don't get snow days anymore, you get your rear end to work no matter what

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

err posted:

it's coming, vindication for Doomsday Economics thread

Yeah, any day now. Aaaany day.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Regarde Aduck posted:

Oh drat, whats worse than a kulak? A poor kulak.

though i agree with your premise that all good leftists must unite to make sure no one makes it out of the crab bucket, i don't know if computer touchers all own a particular acreage of land; do you have any data to back that up

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

extremely funny since people don't get snow days anymore, you get your rear end to work no matter what

Did regular jobs ever get snow days? When I was a kid, my mom's manager at a call center would drive out in his truck to pick people up on snow days and threaten to fire them if they were afraid to get into the car with him. I don't think I've known anyone who ever got off on snowy days unless the state shut down.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Paradoxish posted:

Did regular jobs ever get snow days? When I was a kid, my mom's manager at a call center would drive out in his truck to pick people up on snow days and threaten to fire them if they were afraid to get into the car with him. I don't think I've known anyone who ever got off on snowy days unless the state shut down.

Only management, in my experience.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Woke Mind Virus posted:

how many loving charts do these guys need?

I will become chart

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Salvor_Hardin posted:

It's not as bad as Econ coursework but engineering classes also frequently devolve into using functions that are loosely-at-best tethered to the physical underpinnings of a situation and frequently devolve into just plugging in numbers because it works, kinda.

Its been a while but I'm thinking back to gear tooth design guidelines, laminar vs turbulent flow (hell, almost all of thermofluids), and most of the metallurgy stuff.

yeah but those numbers and equations have been determined empirically through actual testing and physical experiments, and most importantly are repeatable and verifiable, not just made up entirely and don't apply to any real world examples

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

One of my employers did this to me once but wouldn't promise a ride home after work. (I said no)

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Paradoxish posted:

whats a snow days?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the economy is now collapsing as business isn’t sure the Democrats are finished yet. throwing everybody into chaos should seal the deal

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Also gasoline went up in price 60 cents in 12 hours.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

economists demand mass unemployment however the unseen airborne vascular disease keeps killing people, many sides

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

CBus real estate gonna feel the intel news bump?

nahh keep going up

ya I mean where else are you gonna live? Dayton? lmao

err
Apr 11, 2005

Slow News Day posted:

Yeah, any day now. Aaaany day.

i want an apology from you when the rates start getting cut

Apr 7, 2003

Scarabrae posted:

economists demand mass unemployment however the unseen airborne vascular disease keeps killing people, many sides

Over 2,000 deaths a week for the past four weeks in the US and nobody seems to give a poo poo lmao

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Over 2,000 deaths a week for the past four weeks in the US and nobody seems to give a poo poo lmao

That's not even three full 9/11s per month, how am I supposed to remember that anything is happening.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Nonsense posted:

Also gasoline went up in price 60 cents in 12 hours.

In the Michigan, Indiana, Ohio region?

https://twitter.com/GasBuddyGuy/status/1753155317137801546?t=SAzAUMUjhqjxXPW4MGFKSQ&s=19

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
Banks are being rocked again as real estate losses mount

Get ready to get your butt into work and do your duty to the banks.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
China builds bridges and trains, but we have snow days!!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

love how banks lose money in real estate and treasuries

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Texas.

It was 2.39 on Wednesday and 2.99 Thursday and today.

err
Apr 11, 2005

MickeyFinn posted:

Banks are being rocked again as real estate losses mount

Get ready to get your butt into work and do your duty to the banks.

"On Thursday, Japan’s Aozora Bank said bad loans tied to US offices were partly to blame for its projected annual loss of 28 billion yen ($190 million) last year. The lender had previously expected to make a net profit of 24 billion yen ($160 million). The news sent its shares plunging over 21%."

Contagion

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Looking forward to the Future American Results Guarantee Act which will make real estate investment pay out as much as the past performance would say it does. The FARGA bill will make our wonderful oligarchs whole and grant them the continued success and grandeur they are owed by society.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

I think there are sectors where you cannot deny that work cannot go on during inclement weather (like construction and any blue collar work involving outdoor facilities and any kind of worksite where the weather caused property damage). I can understand the skepticism, but businesses may have insurance coverage for this kind of event and will declare that no one has to come in so they can get their coverage.

Also, another cynical sounding point, there may be some businesses that are so afraid of liability that might come from employees suing in case they get injured while traveling in horrifically bad weather that they decided to stay closed.

There was probably a lot of off-the-books snow days of people eating some of their PTO allowances rather than risking themselves if their employer didn't already declare their offices/facilities closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

B1 Heavy Bombers are billions of dollars a piece, and several are on their way going into combat.