Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

The newly-released Like A Dragon 8 has an in-game music player which can also play in-game podcasts.

There are two in-game podcast series. One is in regular conversational English, one is in conversational Japanese.

Neither of these podcasts are subtitled, so uh, yeah enjoy >1hr of incomprehensible background dialogue I guess if that's what you're into.

Also if you get into a battle or a minor cutscene then the audio player pauses, but if you get into a major cutscene then the audio player resets, and these episodes are at least 10 minutes long, I don't know because I've never managed to get to the end of one before something resets it. Kind of a bizarre feature all around.

:lol: How conveniently timed. Thanks for that. This is the exact kind of whack-a-mole never-ending pile of jank I was referring to this kind of feature causing. What made it in the final game is likely a fraction of what that poor dev had to deal with. Glad to see my instincts are still worth something after all that time.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Sapozhnik posted:

Kind of a bizarre feature all around.

yakuza games in a nutshell

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Coming from a town where one of the biggest employers is a military base in a generation where my childhood friends and I just became adults as the War on Terror thing just started to kick off, I have to admit that Spec Ops felt like a pretty powerful memory in terms of video games at the time.

Most of their parents never went to war despite being in the military, and we were all fed the same sanitised jingoistic stuff through things like GI Joe, so the implications of seeing people get maimed and killed, and sometimes being the person doing the maiming and killing just never really crossed their minds until they got there. It really hosed up a lot of people I know.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Redezga posted:

Coming from a town where one of the biggest employers is a military base in a generation where my childhood friends and I just became adults as the War on Terror thing just started to kick off, I have to admit that Spec Ops felt like a pretty powerful memory in terms of video games at the time.

Most of their parents never went to war despite being in the military, and we were all fed the same sanitised jingoistic stuff through things like GI Joe, so the implications of seeing people get maimed and killed, and sometimes being the person doing the maiming and killing just never really crossed their minds until they got there. It really hosed up a lot of people I know.

It honestly sounds cool as gently caress and that's coming from someone who generally loathes that type of game. I love a good bit of genre-bending.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Spec ops the line is the best generic gameplay shooter experience you can have

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Hush coming on when you got taunted over the radio and swarmed was awesome

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 2, 2024

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Chronicles of riddick: escape from butcher Bay is the most overrated videogame I've played

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
someone hasn't played bioshock infinite

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

ymgve posted:

someone hasn't played bioshock infinite

That's not overrated, it's universally loved everywhere except SA.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Don't know about online communities, but the dude who got me into these sorts of games and stuff back in '01 also had strong opinions about the game. Pretty sure he'd never have an account here, even ironically. His wife didn't like it either.

I know that's only like two people, but like you try finding people IRL who enjoy video games and that you'd also want to hold a conversation with. It's hard, man!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Serephina posted:

Don't know about online communities, but the dude who got me into these sorts of games and stuff back in '01 also had strong opinions about the game. Pretty sure he'd never have an account here, even ironically. His wife didn't like it either.

I'm not sure if you mean first person shooters or Deus Ex

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Naw, anyone with half a brain knows how bad it is. It's not just SA.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
You don't get a 94 on metacritic without appealing to people.

Unless your bribery department is on point

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Waltzing Along posted:

Naw, anyone with half a brain knows how bad it is. It's not just SA.

And Burial at Sea was even worse (mainly part 2).

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

You kind of answered your own question, but its also not a game that aged well.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

JollyBoyJohn posted:

You do know that reviewers don't actually play games, right?

Infinite had nice graphics, but as a game it stunk. For a big budget shooter, it might be the worst ever made. There are lots of deep dive analysis vids on youtube if you actually care to understand why it is so bad.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Waltzing Along posted:

Infinite had nice graphics, but as a game it stunk. For a big budget shooter, it might be the worst ever made. There are lots of deep dive analysis vids on youtube if you actually care to understand why it is so bad.

I already watched the giant bomb quick look dude

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I worked with a guy that loved bioshock infinite and he was the most obnoxious guy i ever had the displeasure of meeting

Not sure if one causes the other but boy are they related...

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The game has a neat setting, is visually stunning with great art direction... it's too bad that the gameplay and story range from mediocre to bad. Some people don't care about anything besides the aesthetics.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

QuarkJets posted:

Your orders are "If you see anyone, leave immediately and radio for help", but it's a common video game trope to have the main character ignore "just do some recon" orders and instead go in guns ablazin' so that's what the game has you do

In this game you literally have no other way to interact with the world, the alternative is doing nothing, staring at an unchanging screen.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

itry posted:

The game has a neat setting, is visually stunning with great art direction... it's too bad that the gameplay and story range from mediocre to bad. Some people don't care about anything besides the aesthetics.

This. There were some things to love about Bioshock Infinite, and I tried revisiting it several months ago. The gameplay and mechanics are just bad, even compared to other games from ~2013.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Most people are also happy to play pretty mediocre games and even mediocre games are more fun than things like chores, many jobs and a lot of TV. I'm not excluding myself from this. I finished Fallout 4 3 times.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Disco Pope posted:

I finished Fallout 4 3 times.

:whitewater:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

in 2014 a lot of people would consider it a near perfect game

in 2024 most of those same people would consider it a passable console fps with some really terrible writing.

The franchise of Bioshock's entire legacy was astounding console players who have never heard of System Shock 2 or Deus Ex. They were at best 10 years behind the times on what good story based FPS games could be but regardless everyone shifted trying to make CoD-likes and later when PUBG exploded the same for battle royale.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Twice was after a massive break-up/severe mental health episode, to be fair.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Disco Pope posted:

Twice was after a massive break-up/severe mental health episode, to be fair.

I hope you're doing better :glomp:

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I hope you're doing better :glomp:

Aww, thanks! It was years ago now, I'm good!

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The most disappointing thing about Fallout 4 for me was that it was set in the costal area of Boston, but since the Gamebryo engine is loving garbage they couldn't utilize the ocean at all and just made it another map boundry that killed you if you stepped in it.

I wanted floating garbage flotillas filled with raiders, or semi-working battleships that survived the war. Anything other than the standard fallout wasteland fare.

The Far Harbour DLC sort of improved on this and was the most interesting part of the game for me.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Vakal posted:

The most disappointing thing about Fallout 4 for me was that it was set in the costal area of Boston, but since the Gamebryo engine is loving garbage they couldn't utilize the ocean at all and just made it another map boundry that killed you if you stepped in it.

I wanted floating garbage flotillas filled with raiders, or semi-working battleships that survived the war. Anything other than the standard fallout wasteland fare.

The Far Harbour DLC sort of improved on this and was the most interesting part of the game for me.

There was a raider camp that was made out of islands of marooned ships, if I recall correctly.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Serephina posted:

I know that's only like two people, but like you try finding people IRL who enjoy video games and that you'd also want to hold a conversation with. It's hard, man!

this is true. sometimes I think it would be nice to have friends to talk to who enjoy the same video games I do, but then that would mean having to be friends with gamers.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

This. There were some things to love about Bioshock Infinite, and I tried revisiting it several months ago. The gameplay and mechanics are just bad, even compared to other games from ~2013.
Infinite had a solid aesthetic conceit and it wisely gave sad horny gamers a waifu to latch onto, but somehow managed to slide under the already shaky bar of the first Bioshocks. It has that corporate stink of "oh we realized too late in development we can't actually offend casual bigots or racists, so please make sure everyone is a bad guy."

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
Probably not an unpopular oppinion but i had a super funny experience trying to replay Bioshock with my GF after playing Deus Ex, System Shock 2 and Prey together. I had great memories of playing it, sneaking around my house late at night to get a few extra hours and was talking it up as a great game for us to play after checking out all these immersive sims.

One of the first things we saw was a hallway with a chair blocking it. In a real immersive sim you would just push the chair out of the way, jump over it or blow it up but too bad we were playing Bioshock.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Bioschlock

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Infinite had a solid aesthetic conceit and it wisely gave sad horny gamers a waifu to latch onto, but somehow managed to slide under the already shaky bar of the first Bioshocks. It has that corporate stink of "oh we realized too late in development we can't actually offend casual bigots or racists, so please make sure everyone is a bad guy."

I actually liked the gameplay in Infinite, but the thing that really just pissed me off was that the ending leaned into the dumbest grandfather paradox possible. I mean, loving Star Trek has better time travel plots than what they kludged together there. It was just insultingly stupid.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I actually liked the gameplay in Infinite, but the thing that really just pissed me off was that the ending leaned into the dumbest grandfather paradox possible. I mean, loving Star Trek has better time travel plots than what they kludged together there. It was just insultingly stupid.

Yeah the ending was real dumb, i went to the bioshock infinite thread thinking I'd have a good laugh with some other goons but there seemed to be a lack of consensus over whether it sucked poo poo or was actually the best storytelling of all time lol

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
my favorite part was the nerds saying that the npc who follows you around was so well written and coded that they felt real emotional connection

that game is dumber than poo poo's piss and twice as racist and I can't believe people just ate it up

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

George posted:

my favorite part was the nerds saying that the npc who follows you around was so well written and coded that they felt real emotional connection

that game is dumber than poo poo's piss and twice as racist and I can't believe people just ate it up

And you really can't overstate the racism. From my previous post on the subject:

Breetai posted:

Pictured: Bioshock Infinite's sole moral choice: do you hurl the ball at the young couple who are being publicly vilified for 'race mixing', or do you throw it at the carnival barker who is encouraging you to hurt them?

Note the giga-racist imagery in the background, with similar imagery used throughout the entire game in a ham-fisted attempt to make a point about racism while displaying disturbingly well-crafted racist propaganda imagery, as well as the game's later assertion that "both sides, actually".

Like, I'm not saying that the developers are definitely in actuality a secret cabal of 100% dyed-in-the-wool racists, but the most charitable interpretation of a bunch of stuff in this game is that they attempted to tackle an issue that they were woefully inept at tackling and ended up creating some genuinely ugly poo poo as a result.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
edit: I was thinking of Dishonored

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Thinking about Dishonored right now.

Fighting Elegy posted:

One of the first things we saw was a hallway with a chair blocking it. In a real immersive sim you would just push the chair out of the way, jump over it or blow it up but too bad we were playing Bioshock.

Whenever the game gets mentioned in relation to immsim's, I feel like it should be accompanied with a big disclaimer. Maybe something like "if this didn't have -shock in the title we probably wouldn't be mentioning it".

itry fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Feb 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Not gonna mention the game's terrible politics because its been said, but bullet sponges! Holy poo poo the bullet sponges! It's not even an Uncharted situation where "oh you're actually supposed to punch them because punches are way deadlier than shooting guys in the head", everything just starts taking an eternity to kill.