Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Shame Boy posted:

i'm the million tons of bacon that europe was apparently using to run power plants in 2006 for some loving reason

europe has a lot of very large scale district heating systems, like for example the public heating utility in stockholm has over 3000 km of pipes and serves 800k people. heat input to these systems typically come mainly from cogeneration plants that burn things like household waste (landfills aren't really a thing here), byproducts from the forestry industry, byproducts from the olive oil industry (crushed olive pits), and yes, sometimes other types of biowaste as well. electricity is kind of a byproduct in these plants, they're don't get used if there's no heating demand. also, unlike in many places in the US where power usage is correlated with sunlight because of air conditioning, at least in scandinavia there's an inverse correlation where power demand increases in winter and with sinking temperature because our heat pumps mostly go the other way; air conditioning for cooling is rare.

speaking of heat pumps, a second important source of heat in district heating systems is gigantic heat pumps that extract waste heat from wherever it might be found, for example there's a plant here in stockholm that has the capacity to extract 225 MW of heat energy from treated sewage wastewater (the cold side of these heatpumps is also used for district cooling, and afterwards the treated water is released into a lake via a turbine, so there's a small amount of electricity generation as well).

solar panels are actually becoming a bit too cheap, there's too many of them, the power grid needs rotating mass to keep the frequency stable

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
i've wanted to do an effort post about district heating for a long time, it's really cool and good, but i don't think anyone cares

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

a family member runs a company that does flywheel power storage (I think), it's a super cool idea, just don't think too hard about the implications of all that kinetic energy being in one place

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
here's a decent introduction youtube if y'like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8Khzns0KIk

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

for scandinavia at least hydro is such a blessing for peak management. some renovations needed to make it a bit more resilient to the spotty usage, but the capacity is there and the investments needed are real easy to make with the way peaks pay.

and with market forces really heavily behind renewables now there's at least some momentum for good things.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

TheFluff posted:

europe has a lot of very large scale district heating systems, like for example the public heating utility in stockholm has over 3000 km of pipes and serves 800k people. heat input to these systems typically come mainly from cogeneration plants that burn things like household waste (landfills aren't really a thing here), byproducts from the forestry industry, byproducts from the olive oil industry (crushed olive pits), and yes, sometimes other types of biowaste as well. a second important source of heat is gigantic heat pumps that extract waste heat from wherever it might be found, for example there's a plant here in stockholm that has the capacity to extract 225 MW of heat energy from treated sewage wastewater (the cold side of these heatpumps is also used for district cooling, and afterwards the treated water is released into a lake via a turbine, so there's a small amount of electricity generation as well).

solar panels are actually becoming a bit too cheap, there's too many of them, the power grid needs rotating mass to keep the frequency stable

i'm plenty aware of europe's district heating systems and how they tend to burn whatever's cheap and lying around, it still seems hella weird to me that that was apparently "1 megaton of animal fat" in 2006. i mean we've spent literally all of human history finding new ways to use every single last bit of animal products so it really feels like "idk just light them on fire" would be absolute last on the list when you've exhausted every other even slightly more useful option

though idk maybe there was a big disease scare that year and they had to destroy a bunch of animals with swine flu or something and I'm guessing that'd automatically eliminate most of the things you can do with it besides light it on fire :shrug:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, real valid question how that came to be, but *certainly* it will have been in one way or another judged unsuitable for food/whatever.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
it would be nice if we had some more nuclear power stations for base load generation

still shaking my head at how germany completely killed all of its nuclear power generation practically overnight after fukushima happened and then replaced it with the shittiest coal generation imaginable.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, real valid question how that came to be, but *certainly* it will have been in one way or another judged unsuitable for food/whatever.

the other possibility i guess is they could just be lumping all the stuff that gets sucked out of restaurant grease traps into that category, which would make a lot more sense cuz yeah that's pretty much all you can do with that

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

TheFluff posted:

i've wanted to do an effort post about district heating for a long time, it's really cool and good, but i don't think anyone cares

lots of folks in here are interested in a wide variety of things, you never know

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah i legitimately loved reading that series of effortposts (in the middle of a pics thread of all places) from some person who worked at a sewage treatment plant

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I mean, what else are you gonna do with 1 million tons of animal fat

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Shame Boy posted:

i'm plenty aware of europe's district heating systems and how they tend to burn whatever's cheap and lying around, it still seems hella weird to me that that was apparently "1 megaton of animal fat" in 2006. i mean we've spent literally all of human history finding new ways to use every single last bit of animal products so it really feels like "idk just light them on fire" would be absolute last on the list when you've exhausted every other even slightly more useful option

though idk maybe there was a big disease scare that year and they had to destroy a bunch of animals with swine flu or something and I'm guessing that'd automatically eliminate most of the things you can do with it besides light it on fire :shrug:

sorry, didn't mean to overexplain at ya, i'm just enthusiastic about district heating

i think the disease explanation seems plausible but idk what it would've been, i think the sars scare was earlier than 2006 and swine flu was later, but idk

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that poo poo rules. denver downtown has the oldest continuously operating steam system in the US! they added chilled water service to attract tech stuff several years ago, too. so 3 pipes: steam, 1c water, and lukewarm return for both

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
that's the neatest part about district heating/cooling, there are a lot of opportunities for just moving heat around from places that don't want it to places that do, and with heat pumps you can use even low grade heat quite efficiently

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also yes i would absolutely read a thread full of effortposting about district heating

i mean i'm sure at least half of yospos watches practical engineering so like, go for it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the town I grew up in had a a power plant across the river and they ran pipes to do steam heat for the downtown area, I always thought it was cool and was disappointed it never got significant expansion

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
new york also has a steam distribution system, when it springs a leak you get one of those iconic orange and white exhaust pipes in the middle of the street blocking traffic

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

TheFluff posted:

i think it’s pretty neat. that’s a big rear end district heating system. in austin i’m on district cooling and i love it. our AC uses chilled water that is cooled overnight in cooling towers around town. they built this one next to my building a couple years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=249xO8fDrI8

it can be 110°F outside and my AC vent temperatures are still a breezy 55°F

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

a family member runs a company that does flywheel power storage (I think), it's a super cool idea, just don't think too hard about the implications of all that kinetic energy being in one place

i've seen some designs for flywheel power storage that sink the flywheel below ground level and encase it in a big drum of concrete, which seems like a good start

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

the state power investment corporation in china has built a nuclear powered district heating system which will eventually cover multiple cities

https://www.world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/Chinese-long-distance-nuclear-heating-project-begi

quote:

The project is the third phase of a commercial heating project called Warm Nuclear No 1 operated by the State Power Investment Corporation (SPIC). After trials the previous winter to provide heat to the plant's dormitory and some local residents, the Haiyang plant officially started providing district heat to the surrounding area in November 2020, and then to the whole Haiyang city.

The Warm Nuclear No 1 project now reaches an area of 12.5 million square metres, and can meet the clean heating needs of about 400,000 people in winter, SPIC said.

Work began on the long-distance supply pipe in February, and the project has required coordination and communication between the different provincial and municipal bodies involved. Since the start of the Warm Nuclear Core No 1 project, some 83 km of nuclear energy heating main network and 11 first-level heat exchange stations have been built, with an investment of nearly CNY4 billion (USD555 million), SPIC said. To date, it has provided a total of 4.56 million Gigajoules (GJ) of zero-carbon heat, replaced 390,000 tons of raw coal consumption, and reduced carbon dioxide emissions by 720,000 tons, as well as improving winter air quality in Haiyang City.

The Haiyang nuclear power plant is home to two AP1000 pressurised water reactors which entered commercial operation in 2018 and 2019 respectively. Two CAP1000 pressurised water reactors are now under construction at the site with grid connection pencilled in for 2027.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

they should run like a giant geothermal heat pump with district heating.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Trabisnikof posted:

the state power investment corporation in china has built a nuclear powered district heating system which will eventually cover multiple cities

https://www.world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/Chinese-long-distance-nuclear-heating-project-begi

that owns

the first commercial nuclear reactor in sweden was also primarily used for district heating. they just built it inside of a mountain a few kilometers from a newly constructed stockholm suburb. it was only in operation for about 10 years, 1964-1974. i got to visit it about ten years ago, before they finally started dismantling it. it was almost entirely intact still, at that time. here's an old imgur album from that visit

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

not district heating, but there is a hot spring resort in Alaska that also runs the lowest temperature commercial geothermal plant in the world

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Eeyo posted:

they should run like a giant geothermal heat pump with district heating.

pretty sure this is quite prevalent in iceland, though it's the "lets get heat from volcanic activity" type of geothermal, not "use the earth as a big heat exchanger by getting below the frost line" geothermal

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MAXlkWLpfM

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

haveblue posted:

new york also has a steam distribution system, when it springs a leak you get one of those iconic orange and white exhaust pipes in the middle of the street blocking traffic

detroit has this too! it's been going away slowly over the last couple decades but downtown still gets the iconic steam plumes too

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

haveblue posted:

those mean the rats elected a new pope

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

raminasi posted:

those mean the rats elected a new pope

i knew rats had a monarchy, but i had no idea they were catholic

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

haveblue posted:

I mean, what else are you gonna do with 1 million tons of animal fat

spend more on candles

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

TheFluff posted:

do you post in the energy megathread in the grey forums? they'd sure as poo poo love the post there lol

Shame Boy posted:

quote:

Use of animal fat biodiesel has doubled in the past decade and is 40 times higher than it was in 2006. Demand for animal fats in biofuels is also projected to triple by 2030 compared to 2021 according to data collected by T&E from Stratas Advisors.

European lawmakers have been promoting the by-product of industrial meat farming as a way of reducing the carbon impact of transport fuels.They are now setting their sights on planes and to a lesser extent ships. However, there is not enough fat to go around.

Nearly half of all European animal fats already go into biodiesel, despite being used extensively in the pet food, soaps and cosmetics industries. With the burning of animal fat biofuels set to triple by 2030, there will not be enough to scale it up sustainably, warns T&E.

Airlines such as Ryanair and Wizz Air have recently struck large deals with oil suppliers for what are termed ‘sustainable aviation fuels’ (SAF). Details of the exact feedstocks used in SAFs are often vague. But projections obtained from Stratas Advisors, a consultancy, shows that animal fats are expected to be the most common waste feedstock used in SAFs, alongside used cooking oil. Like all waste biofuels, the availability of animal fats is limited. Scaling up industrial meat farming is neither doable nor desirable. A flight from Paris to New York needs 8,800 dead pigs, T&E’s calculations show. Applying the current 50% maximum blend of HEFA that can be certified, 4,400 dead pigs per flight would alternatively be needed.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

tech bubble v5.23: Paris to New York needs 8,800 dead pigs

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

rip vegan travelers

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

oh yeah, i forgot about that, but there's a real perverse incentive thing going on in biofuels in a lot of eu countries.

done with the best of intentions, but it is very clear by now that the biofuel-based climate goal plans are entirely nonsense, the fuels are getting expensive enough that there's huge economic forces creating environmental issues just outside the boundaries the regulation judges these things by. just have to stop burning things. which might yet be doable the way things are developing.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

BMan posted:

rip vegan travelers

assuming you're on a large passenger aircraft with about 500 passengers that's a mere 17.6 hogs per seat; practically a rounding error

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Internet Janitor posted:

assuming you're on a large passenger aircraft with about 500 passengers that's a mere 17.6 hogs per seat; practically a rounding error

18 hogs per hog

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mediaphage posted:

18 hogs per hog

(im calling all of us just hogs for the grist mill)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
what's the problem, we've got more than enough hogs

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

oh yeah, i forgot about that, but there's a real perverse incentive thing going on in biofuels in a lot of eu countries.

done with the best of intentions, but it is very clear by now that the biofuel-based climate goal plans are entirely nonsense, the fuels are getting expensive enough that there's huge economic forces creating environmental issues just outside the boundaries the regulation judges these things by. just have to stop burning things. which might yet be doable the way things are developing.

not saying this is definitely impossible for all time, but the physics of flying is heavily against this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

BMan posted:

not saying this is definitely impossible for all time, but the physics of flying is heavily against this

theres an easy solution and we all know what it is but everyone is too afraid to say it, so I will:

AIRSHIPS