Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

What super power does he have to keep getting people to lie for him under oath over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Murgos posted:

I’d think twice before I opened a door to a room that had a better than even chance of being Trumps Sex Dungeon.

That’s not the kind of thing you can unsee.

Yeah, that would be like opening a meat freezer that's sat unplugged all summer

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

PainterofCrap posted:

It’s not called the “meat tape”.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If they hurry and get another warrant, chances are very good that he's too dumb and lazy to have moved anything out of the rooms.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

SpeedFreek posted:

I know stealing documents classified as TS is nowhere near as dangerous someone dying of cancer growing pot in their basement, but did they even try?

How many documents classified as Taylor Swift could he even have?

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Gyges posted:

If they hurry and get another warrant, chances are very good that he's too dumb and lazy to have moved anything out of the rooms.

I wonder if he's got a new aide lined up to take some federal charges for him or maybe Walt is still all in.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Murgos posted:

I’d think twice before I opened a door to a room that had a better than even chance of being Trumps Sex Dungeon.

That’s not the kind of thing you can unsee.

Imagine thinking trump, a documented never nude, actually fucks, he probably uses that room to watch the “gorilla channel “ in peace and quiet!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

PainterofCrap posted:

A dumpster full of water and drowned rats

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
World reacts to horrible Donald Trump news

Do you have any idea how little that narrows it down?

quote:

Former United States President Donald Trump has been facing scrutiny from courts regarding his alleged overinflating of property values as he faced a massive civil fraud case in the state of New York. However, it seems that the added scrutiny did not stop him from continuing to overinflate the value of his golf courses.

According to a report from Newsweek, Donald Trump did not account for any depreciation on any of the equipment – tractors, lawn mowers and other machinery – at any of his golf courses, which caused the value of all of that equipment to be overinflated.

“Donald Trump overinflated the value of his golf courses to a financial company even while under court scrutiny, an independent monitor’s report has found,” Sean O’Driscoll wrote for Newsweek. “Monitor Barbara Jones wrote that Trump put zero depreciation on equipment at his golf courses, thereby giving his properties an inflated value.”

Trump’s lawyer, Chris Kise, was not happy with these findings, calling it “shameful” that the courts would place such emphasis on the equipment, but it’s still pretty horrible news that Trump was still over-inflating the value of his assets while in the midst of such scrutiny.

So that's going to add another week or two to that trial.

I've lost track of which trial that is.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Gyges posted:

You can't just go busting down doors and trashing the place with a search warrant. Dude isn't a powerless poor or something.

Read this but in the !~y0u cAnT' jUsT sH0Ot 4 h0L3 1nt0 Th3 SurFaC3 0f M4r$~! DOOM voice.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
How do law enforcement decide whether to stand outside your locked bedroom asking you politely if you’ll please provide the key because their warrant is about to expire vs. pulling two sides of your house off with a tank? There’s literally no meaningful different between the people who get one and the people who get the other, unless for some bizarre reason the FBI are employing some kind of algorithm that combines financial parameters and melanin concentration? But why would they even bother? The science required to develop such an algorithm without inadvertently making it unfair to protected classes of citizens would surely outweigh any value they derived from using it. They’re hardly going to risk being caught out propagating racial injustice, they’d lose their careers.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

The Artificial Kid posted:

How do law enforcement decide whether to stand outside your locked bedroom asking you politely if you’ll please provide the key because their warrant is about to expire vs. pulling two sides of your house off with a tank? There’s literally no meaningful different between the people who get one and the people who get the other, unless for some bizarre reason the FBI are employing some kind of algorithm that combines financial parameters and melanin concentration? But why would they even bother? The science required to develop such an algorithm without inadvertently making it unfair to protected classes of citizens would surely outweigh any value they derived from using it. They’re hardly going to risk being caught out propagating racial injustice, they’d lose their careers.
They would prefer to use kid gloves on someone who has the power to fight that poo poo tooth and nail because you don't want to end up with a scenario where whoops there's now court precedent and/or a law that says the police can't wreck your poo poo and find nothing, and then where would all the police departments that raze the wrong home be? Actually paying for damages? Scary poo poo bro

Oh and Trump's a power bottom and quite frankly doesn't have the intelligence or imagination required to get very creative with that so it's probably not too crazy of a sex dungeon

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

There's no computer program or complicated decision tree that they consult. It's all done in their lizard subconscious, where they just know whether they can gently caress you up without consequence or not. Rich and powerful people, especially white ones, are treated different automatically. It's the same unwritten rules that determine if the cops are going to treat you like a criminal or a citizen from the second they begin any interaction.

Plus the FBI is the agency most stuffed with Trump worshipping shitheads among the Feds. Maybe Border Patrol gives them a run for their money.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
I think I just figured out why Trump is so averse to new wars. Bush Jr. got memory holed for it and that's the worst fate imaginable to him.

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Feb 2, 2024

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

The Islamic Shock posted:

They would prefer to use kid gloves on someone who has the power to fight that poo poo tooth and nail because you don't want to end up with a scenario where whoops there's now court precedent and/or a law that says the police can't wreck your poo poo and find nothing, and then where would all the police departments that raze the wrong home be? Actually paying for damages? Scary poo poo bro
Obviously I was being massive sarcastic but you make an interesting point in response. I was making the assumption that it all just comes down to prejudice, but I guess it does also make sense for law enforcement to avoid creating precedent by forcing high powered lawyers to take them to court.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Probably the fact that the FBI had already found a bunch of classified documents and a fuckton of unclassified documents, and figured they had plenty of evidence for the prosecutor already?

Or maybe the fact that Mar-a-Lago staff were (as far as the FBI knew) completely cooperative with the FBI's search warrant and made no noticeable attempt to obstruct them? (they weren't lying about not having the key)

Or maybe the fact that Mar-a-Lago even had staff (and guests), and wasn't solely inhabited by the person they were investigating and his immediate family?

Or maybe the fact that Mar a Lago is loving huge, with over a hundred rooms covering more than 62,000 square feet (about an acre and a half)?

Or maybe the fact that the room in question had had its key managed by the Secret Service until a couple of months before the FBI raid?

Or maybe the fact that the FBI isn't a SWAT team and doesn't typically roll in with overwhelming firepower when doing nonviolent searches? Rolling in with heavy firepower is typically the province of their Hostage Rescue Team, which (as the name implies) doesn't typically get mobilized to search the home of a cooperative target for evidence of white-collar crime. Violent drug busts are typically done by local police.

There's actually a fuckton of differences between the two situations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
And yet having clear evidence of hundreds of counts of potentially the worst espionage and treason case ever seen they left a locked door unopened that was adjacent to the seized materials.

I get what you are saying but that's not actually a, 'Trivial and totally understandable oversight totally within the norms of the situation'.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Comstar posted:

What super power does he have to keep getting people to lie for him under oath over and over again.

Stupidity and Narcissism. Trump crimes so blatantly and without care that everyone around him grifts as far as their own meager morals let them. Throw in Trump being notorious for under/NEVER paying people and it's no shock everyone just grabs what they want around him.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
What a ridiculous baby
https://edition.cnn.com/2024/02/01/politics/roberta-kaplan-donald-trump-deposition-maralago/index.html

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran

Exactly like the people who vote for him.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Well, he threw papers at the opposing attorney, stormed out. Told her he asked the staff to make her really bad sandwiches, then called her a c*nt on his way out.

Then the lawsuit was dismissed. Can't blame a stupid tactic if it works.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Must have been some really bad sandwiches.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

We have firmly established that the punishment for repeatedly harassing and endangering court staff and court staffs' family members is a minor fine and the judge giving a smirk for the photographer to publish in the news. So yeah, why not?

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

NGL if I worked in the kitchen of a place and the owner barged in to tell me to make some awful sandwiches for someone he hates I'd have fun with it.

Open-faced pickle and mayonnaise sammies fresh out of the microwave, coming right up!

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

quote:

In a separate anecdote, Kaplan detailed the end of the deposition when she was set to leave, saying that Trump told her: “See you next Tuesday” – a phrase that is often used as a derogatory euphemism directed at women.
I've never heard this. Am I just an old now, or is this something confined to a particular region, or is this something Trump came up with himself?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

"C U Next Tuesday" is ancient

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Inferior Third Season posted:

I've never heard this. Am I just an old now, or is this something confined to a particular region, or is this something Trump came up with himself?

It's just something you've never heard. It's been around for ages. C U Next Tuesday.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Inferior Third Season posted:

Its been around forever he didn’t make it up lol. Probably a good thing you didn’t know it though.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Scags McDouglas posted:

Well, he threw papers at the opposing attorney, stormed out. Told her he asked the staff to make her really bad sandwiches, then called her a c*nt on his way out.

Then the lawsuit was dismissed. Can't blame a stupid tactic if it works.

The lawsuit getting dismissed didn't have anything to do with his behavior at the deposition, or even the merits of the case. The judge just thought it was better suited for state court, not federal court.

Being a huge pissbaby during a deposition isn't something he should get sanctioned for or punished for, it's just mildly embarrassing and humiliating.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's just something you've never heard. It's been around for ages. C U Next Tuesday.

She was on a podcast I was listening too the other day and told that story and I was loving baffled about why See you next Tuesday was so obnoxious. Now I get it.

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2024/02/02/fani-willis-response-accusations/

I swear, we just can't ever have nice things.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

jfc lol. Literally one of the most important cases in the country and your ego can’t let you step aside and you just walk around with shoe-drop fever hoping this never comes out. Ambition is a mental illness I swear.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Anybody got a non-paywalled link. I think the Post was the first to get the scoop so I don't see it covered anywhere else.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Eric Cantonese posted:

Anybody got a non-paywalled link. I think the Post was the first to get the scoop so I don't see it covered anywhere else.

Archive.ph is your friend! https://archive.ph/XZTk2

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

https://archive.ph/XZTk2

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
The Archive.ph links often fail on me. I'm not sure why.

Anyway, I found something from a much less prestigious source:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/fani-willis-finally-admits-personal-relationship-with-trump-special-prosecutor-nathan-wade?ref=home?ref=home

quote:

The motion also states that Wade and Willis did not have a personal relationship in Nov. 2021, when he was hired to oversee and investigate claims that Trump and his allies sought to interfere with the 2020 Georgia election. But, in Wade’s affidavit submitted in the filing, the special prosecutor admits, “attorney Willis and I developed a personal relationship in addition to our professional association and friendship.”

“While the allegations raised in the various motions are salacious and garnered the media attention they were designed to obtain, none provide this Court with any basis upon which to order the relief they seek,” the filing states.

The filing is a formal response to a Feb. 15 hearing to review the misconduct allegations before Fulton County Superior Court Judge Scott McAfee, who is handling Trump’s Georgia case. Trump aide Mike Roman’s attorney said in a Tuesday lawsuit that Willis and Wade were subpoenaed to testify at the hearing.

The filing also states that Willis and Wade do not have any “personal or financial interest” in the conviction of the defendants in the Trump racketeering case. It added that the defendants don’t point to any specific action taken by her or her staff “that has been outside the character of an office of the law” and that their request should be denied.

“Instead, the motions attempt to cobble together entirely unremarkable circumstances of Special Prosecutor Wade’s appointment with completely irrelevant allegations about his personal family life into a manufactured conflict of interest on the part of the District Attorney,” the filing states. “Conflict arises when a prosecutor has a personal interest or stake in a defendant’s conviction—a charge that no defendant offers any support for beyond fantastical theories and rank speculation.”

What a mess.

EDIT: Thanks to you guys for trying, but I tried clicking on those Archive.ph links and I get an error screen saying "archive.ph unexpectedly closed the connection."

Is this browser dependent?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

quote:

ATLANTA — Fulton County District Attorney Fani T. Willis (D) admitted she had a personal relationship with an outside prosecutor she appointed to manage the election interference case against former president Donald Trump and his allies but denied claims that the relationship had tainted the proceedings.

In a 176-page court filing on Friday, Willis called the claims against her “meritless” and “salacious.” She asked a judge to reject motions from Trump and other co-defendants that seek to disqualify her and her office from the case and to do so without a hearing. Willis denied claims of misconduct and said there was no evidence that the relationship between her and special prosecutor Nathan Wade had prejudiced the case.

Willis’s response came more than three weeks after Mike Roman, one of Trump’s remaining 14 co-defendants in the criminal case and a former high-ranking campaign aide during the 2020 election, alleged in a court filing that Willis was engaged in a “personal, romantic relationship” with Wade, whose firm has been paid more than $653,000 by the district attorney’s office since he was tapped as an outside prosecutor on the case in November 2021.

Roman claimed Willis may have broken the law by hiring Wade and then allowing him to pay for “vacations across the world” with her that were unrelated to their work on the case. Wade and Willis, Roman’s filing claimed, were “profiting significantly from this prosecution at the expense of the taxpayers.” Roman’s filing, which offered no proof to back up the sensational claims, called for the prosecutors to be disqualified and for the charges against him to be dismissed.

Roman’s motion was later joined by Trump and another co-defendant in the case, Atlanta-area attorney Bob Cheeley, who are also seeking to have the case moved out of Fulton County and charges dismissed.

Fulton County Superior Court Judge Scott McAfee, who is overseeing the case, has scheduled a Feb. 15 evidentiary hearing on the allegations. Ashleigh Merchant, Roman’s attorney, has said she plans to issue subpoenas for witnesses and documents to back up her client’s claims of misconduct. Merchant said in a lawsuit this week that she has subpoenaed Willis and Wade to testify, and she is expected to seek testimony from Wade’s current and former law partners and others associated with the district attorney’s office.

Until now, neither Willis nor Wade had directly addressed or denied the allegations. Bank records made public as part of Wade’s divorce proceedings showed Wade purchased plane tickets for himself and Willis on two occasions — a trip to Aruba purchased in October 2022 on American Airlines, and a second trip purchased in April 2023 to San Francisco on Delta Air Lines. It is unclear if Willis reimbursed Wade for the tickets or went on the trips. A spokesman for Willis has declined to comment. Wade has not responded to requests for comment, and his divorce attorney has declined to comment.

Merchant has told The Washington Post the claims against Willis and Wade were based on sources that she did not name as well as records she said had been disclosed as part of Wade’s divorce proceedings but were under seal. While some documents from the divorce were subsequently made public, discovery materials were not, including Wade’s bank statements and subpoenaed records from the district attorney’s office.

Ahead of a Feb. 15 evidentiary hearing in Fulton County, Merchant subpoenaed several banks — including American Express and Capitol One — seeking financial records tied to Wade and his law firm. She has also subpoenaed Willis, Wade and nearly a dozen staffers and associates of the district attorney’s office to testify at the hearing as she seeks to back up her client’s claims of misconduct.

On Tuesday, Wade reached a temporary settlement in his divorce case, avoiding a scheduled hearing where he had been expected to be questioned under oath about his finances — including his income as a special prosecutor in the Trump case and his purchase of airline tickets for him and Willis.

Roman’s motion has proven to be both legally and politically fraught in a high-profile case that has already drawn intense public scrutiny and attacks from Trump and his supporters. The former president and his allies have seized on the details outlined in Roman’s motion, with Trump repeatedly referring to Willis and Wade as “lovebirds” and claiming “that case is totally compromised.”

Willis indirectly addressed some of the allegations leveled by Roman and other critics in a fiery Jan. 14 speech before a historic Black church in Atlanta — accusing critics of playing the “race card” by questioning her right to appoint Wade, whom she did not name but described as a legal “superstar.”

Steve Sadow, Trump’s attorney, later accused Willis of violating Georgia’s rules of professional conduct in her remarks at the church, accusing her of making racially charged accusations against the defendants that could prejudice a future jury. In a filing seeking to remove Willis and dismiss the indictment, Sadow noted the maximum penalty for such a violation is disbarment.

Willis’s lingering silence on the more salacious allegations leveled by Roman led to fears even among her allies that the case against Trump already was imperiled. They worry that by allowing Trump and others to fill the vacuum with attacks on her decision-making and questions about her management of the case that the public’s trust in the prosecution has been irreparably undermined.

Developments in Wade’s messy divorce proceedings, which began more than two years ago, have fed into the allegations against Wade and Willis, who was served a subpoena in the case by Wade’s estranged wife on Jan. 8 — the same day Roman’s attorney filed a motion accusing Wade and Willis of being in a romantic relationship.

In her motion to quash that subpoena, Willis accused Wade’s estranged wife, Joycelyn Mayfield Wade, of using the divorce case “to harass and embarrass” her and of colluding with others to disrupt the racketeering case against Trump and his allies. Willis’s motion pointed out the close timing between the subpoena and the filing from Roman.

“Joycelyn Wade is using the legal process to harass and embarrass District Attorney Willis, and in doing so, is obstructing and interfering with an ongoing criminal prosecutions,” Cinque Axam, an attorney for Willis, wrote.

Willis’s motion in the divorce case claimed Wade’s marriage was “irretrievably broken” after Joycelyn Wade “confessed to an adulterous relationship with (Nathan Wade’s) longtime friend” — a claim strongly refuted by Joycelyn Wade’s attorney.

Andrea Dyer Hastings, an attorney for Joycelyn Wade, told a judge the claim was not only “false” but that adultery had never been mentioned as a cause of the marriage’s demise in the proceedings until Willis raised it — undermining Willis’s legal claim that she had no “unique” knowledge about Wade’s marriage and should not be forced to testify.

Hastings accused Willis of making an “implied threat” to charge her client with obstruction of the Trump case and of trying to use her elected office to avoid testimony about her relationship with Wade.

A judge subsequently stayed Joycelyn Wade’s subpoena for Willis to testify until Wade had testified in the divorce case. The last-minute divorce agreement, albeit “temporary” for now, allowed Wade and Willis to avoid public testimony.

Willis’s formal legal response, promised weeks ago, is unlikely to end the scrutiny of the alleged actions by the two prosecutors — including by her political critics, who have seized on the scandal as an opening to attack her and the Trump case.

Last week, Republicans in the Georgia Senate established an investigatory committee with subpoena power to probe whether Willis was in a romantic relationship with Wade when she appointed him as a special prosecutor. That’s in addition to a separate investigatory panel being established in the Georgia legislature to examine and potentially remove local prosecutors who are accused of not doing their jobs. And Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) has filed a complaint with the State Ethics Commission seeking an investigation.

While McAfee could find that Willis and Wade did not do anything legally wrong, Cheeley, one of the co-defendants, has pointed to an ethical misstep earlier in the Trump investigation that blocked Willis and her office from developing a criminal case against Burt Jones, a 2020 Trump elector who was later elected as Georgia’s lieutenant governor.

In July 2022, Fulton County Superior Court Judge Robert McBurney, who presided over a special grand jury that investigated 2020 election interference by Trump and his allies, disqualified Willis after she sponsored a primary fundraiser for a Democrat who went on to face Jones in the general election.

While McBurney allowed that Willis had not done anything legally wrong, the judge called it a “what are you thinking moment” and said she had compromised public trust in the investigation.

“An investigation of this significance, garnering the public attention it necessarily does and touching so many political nerves in our society, cannot be burdened by legitimate doubts about the District Attorney’s motives,” McBurney wrote in his order disqualifying her from the case.

Attorneys for Cheeley have cited McBurney’s decision as an avenue that McAfee should consider, writing that McBurney’s ruling that the mere “appearance” of conflict disqualified her from investigating Jones and that the “appearance of impropriety” now involving Wade “requires disqualification.”

In any case, the actually important question was never whether Willis was in a relationship with Wade, it was whether she was engaging in improper financial conduct to ensure that Wade could "[profit] significantly from this prosecution at the expense of the taxpayers". And there has yet to be any evidence of that.

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

If anything, that ALMOST makes it worse. You just shat where you ate in one of the biggest and most important cases this country has seen in a while. Everyone is human, etc, whatever. But dude, this is a historic moment and you blew it (maybe even literally).

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

In any case, the actually important question was never whether Willis was in a relationship with Wade, it was whether she was engaging in improper financial conduct to ensure that Wade could "[profit] significantly from this prosecution at the expense of the taxpayers". And there has yet to be any evidence of that.

I was always taught to avoid even the appearance of impropriety, which seems like it would be a good guideline to follow if the stakes are as high as people say they are. Seems like an entirely self-inflicted wound by people who couldn’t figure out how to date someone that wouldn’t potentially destroy the biggest case of their careers, but I dunno, maybe it wasn’t a priority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
It may be time to consider that trump has divine and or demonic protection of some kind. The guy can Mr. Magoo his way through crime after crime and it's beyond comical. My suspension of disbelief is being severely strained at this point.