Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

yea ok posted:

According to one main roster star, nobody has talked to them about the situation from management, other than to tell them that Vince won’t be back. Instead they were told how successful the Royal Rumble was and how big the new Netflix deal is.

pathetic company

“Vince is gone, all the problems are solved. We had a great show beloved by all. Also we are making a ton of money from the Netflix deal, which will make a ton of money for executives and investors, and isn’t that what’s really important?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The fedbrains are really going all-in on the idea that the rot stopped at Vince and Laurinitis, and that Triple H is just some smol bean who was completely unaware of what was going on and that both Unnamed-Wrestler-Who-Is-Probably-Mox-or-Jericho and Meltzer are just grinding axes by pointing out the obvious conclusion that HHH, if not Corporate Officer #1, was almost certainly aware of what was going on.

After all, it’s not as if Vince was really secretive of the fact he was a serial predator. The amount of “hiding in plain sight” promos and vignettes over the years put the likes of Jimmy Savile to shame.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Not new news but analysis backing up a core argument of the lawsuit:

https://twitter.com/timmarchman/status/1753456402960416779

quote:

Carrie Goldberg, a lawyer who represented victims of Harvey Weinstein, called the document “poorly drafted.” (Weinstein used NDAs to silence some of his victims for at least two decades, and hid some of the payments he made to women by having them come from his brother’s bank account.)

quote:

Goldberg noted other issues with the NDA, among them that the copy Grant filed in federal court in Connecticut wasn’t actually signed by McMahon in either his personal capacity or role as then-chair of WWE; normally, all parties would receive an executed copy of the contract. According to a source familiar with the matter, though, the contract was in fact executed, with McMahon secretly signing on both his behalf and that of WWE after seeking counsel from his longtime attorney, Jerry McDevitt, a seeming conflict of interest Goldberg called “bizarre.”

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 2, 2024

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

TinTower posted:

The fedbrains are really going all-in on the idea that the rot stopped at Vince and Laurinitis, and that Triple H is just some smol bean who was completely unaware of what was going on and that both Unnamed-Wrestler-Who-Is-Probably-Mox-or-Jericho and Meltzer are just grinding axes by pointing out the obvious conclusion that HHH, if not Corporate Officer #1, was almost certainly aware of what was going on.

After all, it’s not as if Vince was really secretive of the fact he was a serial predator. The amount of “hiding in plain sight” promos and vignettes over the years put the likes of Jimmy Savile to shame.

Cool so its exactly like Sandusky and Penn State.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

quote:

Fightful has spoken with a number of people within the industry, at least one of which claims they know more people involved. They've been contacted by reporters, attorneys and the like already, and have indicated that if the additional names involved aren't identified, they'll do it themselves.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

There are mainstream media outlets taking the kind of tips seriously that you would never expect even 2 weeks ago. I was pleasantly surprised to hear how deeply certain things are being investigated.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

👀

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
THIS. IS. A. MOMENT! 🔥 🔥 🔥

absolutely amazed things could actually Matter

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

WWE's lifetime policy of "just pretend it didn't happen and look over there!" seems like it might not actually work for once if this gets big enough.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

https://www.patreon.com/posts/97721626
Free Story: More Details Behind Vince McMahon, John Laurinaitis

quote:

The Vince McMahon, John Laurinaitis situations are not going away any time soon.

In addition to lawsuits, Federal investigations were revealed for the former WWE owner and his longtime crony Laurinaitis. Fightful Select was told earlier this week by longtime employees that they personally expected McMahon to be eventually charged, because "if the feds raided Vince and got his phone, they'll almost surely find something."

Fightful has spoken with a number of people within the industry, at least one of which claims they know more people involved. They've been contacted by reporters, attorneys and the like already, and have indicated that if the additional names involved aren't identified, they'll do it themselves.

Fightful has spoken with multiple mainstream outlets that are looking to navigate the wrestling landscape and collect info, and we've provided some of that to them upon request.

A longtime employee of WWE says that they don't even believe that this lawsuit is "the worst of it," pointing to higher settlements. Fightful can confirm that other potential victims have been identified and contacted by attorneys and media outlets to see if they want to take action.

Laurinaitis himself has turned on Vince McMahon, in what one person who referred to themselves as a longtime former friend of Laurinaitis called "rats jumping off of the sinking ship." Laurinaitis attorney has reached out to several in the industry in what many believe is his team trying to find allies, or find out who has talked to who to help gauge his best options moving forward.

There's still heavy speculation over the source of the original Wall Street Journal leaks, with some thinking it could have been Grant, and others believing it was high up in WWE. It is believed that TKO became very aware of the mess on their hands after the merger, and one source believes they would have handled the rollout much differently had they been aware something like this was imminent. However, they were very aware as of last week when McMahon was present at the NYSE regarding the Netflix deal.

No talent that we've spoken to have had a wide talent meeting, or claimed they've been briefed on the situation at hand, outside of the email announcing McMahon had resigned. Instead, the reactions that we're hearing is that it appears higher ups want to move on past Vince McMahon and put him in the rearview. There are talent we've heard from that believe Vince McMahon is delusional enough to try to work his way back into some kind of role. However, it has been reiterated to several talent that Vince McMahon was done, and has no path to returning to the company. WWE is largely attempting to disassociate.

Though Brock Lesnar was not identified in the suit, he was referenced. Since then, his creative has been halted, he was not brought into Tampa, did not work the Royal Rumble, is not working Elimination Chamber against Dominik Mysterio as planned, or working with Gunther at WrestleMania as planned. There are no creative plans at play for Brock Lesnar at this moment. It was relayed to Fightful that this doesn't mean we'll never see him again, as that situation isn't as cut and dry as others.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/wiretaup/status/1753473690447069221

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Dawgstar posted:

Lawler apparently copied a lot from Shane, as is only right and proper in wrestling.

Did Bobby Shane also sexually assault two kids in his hotel room and get out of statutory rape and sodomy charges by taking a plea deal on a definitely totally not related harassing a witness charge?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Why is "smol bean" being used so much? Is it a reddit thing?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Did Bobby Shane also sexually assault two kids in his hotel room and get out of statutory rape and sodomy charges by taking a plea deal on a definitely totally not related harassing a witness charge?

No, Lawler added his own spin on things.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Dango Bango posted:

It’s more a tumblr aphorism. Both I and the tweeter in question are using it in the sarcastic way that it’s evolved into (as in, attacking the idea that Triple H has a childlike innocence so you better not make any simple observations about his likely involvement in any sexual misconduct cases.)

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

yea ok posted:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/97721626
Free Story: More Details Behind Vince McMahon, John Laurinaitis

Fightful has spoken with multiple mainstream outlets that are looking to navigate the wrestling landscape and collect info, and we've provided some of that to them upon request.

SRS answering Super Chats from the NYT on how to navigate the wrestling landscape.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Dango Bango posted:

feels like a 'people still using twitter' thing

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

1glitch0 posted:

SRS answering Super Chats from the NYT on how to navigate the wrestling landscape.

"Everyone is awful, so you'll have to circle back to those crimes that after doing Vince"

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Shrimpy posted:

"Everyone is awful, so you'll have to circle back to those crimes that after doing Vince"

"Also, NYT, let me explain to you the difference between a worked plane ticket and a shoot plane ticket. It's more complicated than you might think!"

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

That DICK! posted:

it was war. and war is raw

Well, the first hour is.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1glitch0 posted:

He is by far the most qualified person for a journalist to go to about the current WWE locker room.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This is a different allegation that is more company related than Vince but I think it belongs here more than the WWE or Podcast thread.

https://twitter.com/isobelvthompson/status/1701141626645516637

This is an Audible original podcast so it requires a membership or trial and as I said in the podcast thread a few days ago I'd heard nothing about it before. Like a lot of professional podcasts (vs everyone's favorite dude's chattin' podcasts) it is very highly produced and follows that podcast documentary formula. The first three episodes are fairly redundant for wrestling fans. There's interesting details of how she got into the business, some entertaining Long Island characters, but mostly it's a journalist who is not a wrestling fan trying to explain wrestling, getting some things wrong and being shocked by the Diva Search, and rightly so.

The biggest detail early is NYWC confirming Ashley's claim that Stephanie interceded and prevented her from getting proper training.

Episode 4 is about her account of being raped during a Middle East trip. I won't go into details but the key to this with regard to WWE is Ashley is eventually told by Vince that she can't talk about it or she will jeopardize their relationship with the military. The podcast does a very good job explaining why a survivor's account might have inconsistencies and then sets out to try to corroborate it. Ashley's cousin and best friend both confirm that Ashley discussed it to some extent with them at the time. She then talks to Dr. Rios who worked there at the time and Ashley mentions. He confirms she discussed it with him but doesn't remember details of the conversation. Most shocking he shares that he heard wrestlers gossiping about it backstage and that he went to Johnny Ace about it. Johnny Ace wouldn't tell him anything more about it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I remember reading the affidavit, and feeling that Vince McMahon and his cronies deserved to have every word of that document carved on their faces with a rusty knife.

I now believe that the 67-page document from the current allegations should also be carved onto their faces. Every single word.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

but Trench is cooler than either of those dinks. Why would dilute the gimmick??

But seriously the Ashely Massaro stuff is seriously egregious. I remember being a poo poo about her too. Ugh. And gently caress the USO too because that's the not the first time that's been a thing on their time.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
It's insane to me there are still so many folks insisting that no way wrestlers like Cody or whomever knew about how heinous WWE and Vince's crimes were when Ashley's suicide and Vince's recent allegations happened only a few years apart.

MassRafTer posted:

Most shocking he shares that he heard wrestlers gossiping about it backstage and that he went to Johnny Ace about it. Johnny Ace wouldn't tell him anything more about it.

... and of course, just like any of the other poo poo in WWE, people backstage already knew about it before it surfaces outside the company.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Finished the podcast. Melina and Mick Foley are briefly interviewed at Wrestlecon but there isn't a lot there. Paul London agrees to be interviewed at the end after previously declining (he and others didn't seem to trust the story would be done right, which is easy to understand.) I've seen other interviews with him where he relates that she told him about what happened and that she'd be invited on the corporate jet which made her very uncomfortable but I believe he's told that elsewhere. What I'd never heard before is he said that Vince would come to her hotel room after shows and she would have to hide silently in her room all night pretending she wasn't there in fear of him.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

fuckin jet molesters.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

MassRafTer posted:

Goldberg noted other issues with the NDA, among them that the copy Grant filed in federal court in Connecticut wasn’t actually signed by McMahon in either his personal capacity or role as then-chair of WWE; normally, all parties would receive an executed copy of the contract.

Always knew that Goldberg would be the end of Vince eventually

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MassRafTer posted:

Finished the podcast. Melina and Mick Foley are briefly interviewed at Wrestlecon but there isn't a lot there. Paul London agrees to be interviewed at the end after previously declining (he and others didn't seem to trust the story would be done right, which is easy to understand.) I've seen other interviews with him where he relates that she told him about what happened and that she'd be invited on the corporate jet which made her very uncomfortable but I believe he's told that elsewhere. What I'd never heard before is he said that Vince would come to her hotel room after shows and she would have to hide silently in her room all night pretending she wasn't there in fear of him.

God I hope he loving rots. What a miserable pile of poo poo disguised as a human being.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

coconono posted:

But seriously the Ashely Massaro stuff is seriously egregious. I remember being a poo poo about her too. Ugh. And gently caress the USO too because that's the not the first time that's been a thing on their time.

Yeah, I remember wryly it'd be amazing if she learned to wrestle and never knew she... wasn't allowed to.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ganso Bomb posted:

God I hope he loving rots. What a miserable pile of poo poo disguised as a human being.

Pretty harsh on Paul London.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I remember wryly it'd be amazing if she learned to wrestle and never knew she... wasn't allowed to.

I wasn't aware of her attempt to train being sabotaged. I'd just assumed that they just hadn't bothered to do so. I'm just amazed at this company's ability to continuously find ways to take something bad and find ways to make it worse.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Paul London mentioned the bear skin rug in his shoot with Brian Kendrick like…almost 20 years ago.

Open secret about sexual favours for a push

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

MassRafTer posted:

Mick knew.

Also Cane Dewey. For real, this time.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

Also Cane Dewey. For real, this time.

Why?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I've had a hard time following any wrestling since the wave of Me Too came out in 2020. This seems worse, in that it exposes that probably everyone I liked in wrestling from childhood until now was aware and did nothing about it. At best. And how many of them were complicit or participated in it. It just sickens me, and I hope the company gets destroyed because of it. You can't reform something like that.

This thread is really well done, and PSP is full of cool and good posters. Thank you.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Cause Dewey worked for WWE until last year

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

cause we deserve long-term storytelling that leads somewhere for once!!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

stab posted:

Cause Dewey worked for WWE until last year

The way the original poster framed his comment, it implies it's in relation to Mick's alleged knowledge of what happened to Ashley Massaro. Dewey Foley was 14 at the time it happened.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

https://voca.ro/1ggAEJFjSIg0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

^very dark lol

MassRafTer posted:

i posted that itt brother, he talked about Ashley with Rene on his podcast last year (Renes).