Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

CapnAndy posted:

Coward Sanderson, let Adolin and Kaladin smooch

Huge mega big spoilers (technically a Rhythm of War spoiler if you look closely enough)

https://www.tumblr.com/cosmeretrek/740853920130351104/link?source=share

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's always great to have new Sanderson readers in the thread! We're usually pretty good about spoilers, so please be considerate to other and return the favor ;)

I had one thought regarding Rhythm of War, so big Rhythm of War spoilers: So in the meeting to plan the invasion of Urithiru, Raboniel says they have to lure Jasnah and Dalinar away, because their powers will likely work even with the corrupted suppression fabrials. And it's obvious why she didn't want Jasnah there, as she's on the fourth ideal. But Dalinar is still only on his third ideal. Why should he be able to overcome the suppression fabrials? Did I miss something? Or is it because he's a Bondsmith?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Torrannor posted:

It's always great to have new Sanderson readers in the thread! We're usually pretty good about spoilers, so please be considerate to other and return the favor ;)

I had one thought regarding Rhythm of War, so big Rhythm of War spoilers: So in the meeting to plan the invasion of Urithiru, Raboniel says they have to lure Jasnah and Dalinar away, because their powers will likely work even with the corrupted suppression fabrials. And it's obvious why she didn't want Jasnah there, as she's on the fourth ideal. But Dalinar is still only on his third ideal. Why should he be able to overcome the suppression fabrials? Did I miss something? Or is it because he's a Bondsmith?

Yeah, for Dalinar it feels very similar to Kaladin's resistance due to his closeness and use of the surge of Adhesion (which Raboniel suggested wasn't even a true Surgebinding), which Windrunners and Bondsmiths share. Imagine if Dalinar just opened up a perpendicularity inside the tower.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

pik_d posted:

Yeah, for my man and certain others, I'm pretty sure it's an Adhesion thing.

You all know it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

pik_d posted:

Huge mega big spoilers (technically a Rhythm of War spoiler if you look closely enough)

I'll bite, where's the spoiler? Kaladin has his slave brand and I don't see a wedding band on Shallan's hand, the shameful hussy.

Torrannor posted:

Probably a combination of that he's close enough to the Fourth that he could probably push through and that he's a Bondsmith. There's no way she could suppress the Stormfather and literally nobody knows how powerful an unbound Bondsmith can be; he's a major threat.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

CapnAndy posted:

I'll bite, where's the spoiler? Kaladin has his slave brand and I don't see a wedding band on Shallan's hand, the shameful hussy.

Highmarshal promotion! I said you'd have to look close, it's not really that big a deal

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

pik_d posted:

Highmarshal promotion! I said you'd have to look close, it's not really that big a deal
Wasn't that since Oathbringer?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

CapnAndy posted:

Wasn't that since Oathbringer?

(Oathbringer/Rhythm of War) Don't think so, there's plenty of use of "highmarshal" in Oathbringer but that's Azure, I couldn't find any use of that rank referring to Kaladin until the beginning of RoW

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I don’t know what I was expecting when I clicked that, but a horny fanfic comic was not it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

I don’t know what I was expecting when I clicked that, but a horny fanfic comic was not it.
It was entirely clear from context that that's what you'd be getting!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm very sorry you had to see that, please have this instead

(Words of Radiance or maybe Oathbringer depending on how on the ball you are)

https://www.tumblr.com/cosmeretrek/740682212585947136/link?source=share

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

pik_d posted:

I'm very sorry you had to see that, please have this instead

(Words of Radiance or maybe Oathbringer depending on how on the ball you are)

https://www.tumblr.com/cosmeretrek/740682212585947136/link?source=share

lol okay yeah.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

pik_d posted:

"so indecent!" I'm dead

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Adolin's hair should have more black in it, though, and be less blended. He's got Yugioh hair.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

If it ever gets adapted, good lord I hope they do not keep that little tidbit. It would look so bad

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Taffer posted:

If it ever gets adapted, good lord I hope they do not keep that little tidbit. It would look so bad

I think the anime hair fits right in with the anime (Way of Kings) sword, the anime armor, the anime monsters, and the anime superpowers.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's great to see pik_d being free to look into the wider internet for Cosmere stuff, now that he's read all the books. There's some amazing fanart for Sanderson's stuff, especially for the Stormlight Archive, of course.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

pik_d posted:

Yeah, for Dalinar it feels very similar to Kaladin's resistance due to his closeness and use of the surge of Adhesion (which Raboniel suggested wasn't even a true Surgebinding), which Windrunners and Bondsmiths share. Imagine if Dalinar just opened up a perpendicularity inside the tower.

I think Raboniels suggestion was... well she was just petty, it's the closest surge to Honor and the one they lack, so she denigrates it as a defense. "oh that, well I didn't even want it anyway and it sucks too!" That's how I interpreted that personally.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

I think Raboniels suggestion was... well she was just petty, it's the closest surge to Honor and the one they lack, so she denigrates it as a defense. "oh that, well I didn't even want it anyway and it sucks too!" That's how I interpreted that personally.

Oh, no, she's totally correct, there was a post book 4 magic system retcon

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

pik_d posted:

That makes sense, on my Kobo it was reading more pages than the physical copies, less words on screen makes for more pages. Still, getting that far in 4-5 days is quite fast!

Glad you're loving it, please share your thoughts when you're done, or now, or both!

Well I stayed up too late, and then woke up early and finished it off.

Definitely a slow build at the start of the book, and all the action/reveals at the end. I wasn't a huge fan of the point of view swaps so frequently - but maybe I just really wanted the Kaladin reveal. In hindsight, it wasn't so bad.

I didn't quite enjoy Shallan's POV as much as the rest. She just felt kind of flat character wise. I had hoped for a bit bigger reveal on what her drawing talent meant (unless I missed that part, or its in the next book)
Kaladin/Dalinar's battle was pretty epic w/all the storm powers he finally started using. I have to be honest too, I didn't quite see the backstab from Sadeas coming as bad as he did.

I'm now trying to source the next book in the series. Can't wait.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

diapermeat posted:

Well I stayed up too late, and then woke up early and finished it off.

Definitely a slow build at the start of the book, and all the action/reveals at the end. I wasn't a huge fan of the point of view swaps so frequently - but maybe I just really wanted the Kaladin reveal. In hindsight, it wasn't so bad.

I didn't quite enjoy Shallan's POV as much as the rest. She just felt kind of flat character wise. I had hoped for a bit bigger reveal on what her drawing talent meant (unless I missed that part, or its in the next book)
Kaladin/Dalinar's battle was pretty epic w/all the storm powers he finally started using. I have to be honest too, I didn't quite see the backstab from Sadeas coming as bad as he did.

I'm now trying to source the next book in the series. Can't wait.

Shallan can be a contentious character but the next book is her book so you will get much more of an idea of what she is about.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
No context Words of Radiance:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Mordiceius posted:

No context Words of Radiance:

How did I do?

pik_d posted:

I know you're a long way off, but I want you to know (vibes spoiler, no content) you'll get everything you want by (and honestly before) the end of WoR.

Edit: You're probably not done quite yet, but it still seems like things are going well!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

pik_d posted:

How did I do?

Oh, I'm not at the end yet. Still have 12 hours left in the audiobook. :negative:

I was just referencing one specific moment (WoR Part 4): when Dalinar goes to the feast and the flyers about his visions were spread around. When he confronts Sadeas, Sadeas just shoves food in his mouth and comments how good it is. Could help but just think of that gif.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I just started reading The Way of Kings because video games are getting boring, and I wanted to get into reading. I was browsing TikTok late at night last week, and this one video popped up, basically saying Sanderson was the next Tolkien, Martin, etc. So I bought the first book and well. 4 pages in and ordered the rest of the series. How have I been missing out?

Sanderson is the anti-GRRM in that he not only is actually writing more than excuses, but he writes a lot. Long flight? Write a novella. Feeling a bit burned out writing during COVID? Write several new books.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Sanderson is the anti-GRRM in that he not only is actually writing more than excuses, but he writes a lot. Long flight? Write a novella. Feeling a bit burned out writing during COVID? Write several new books.

I genuinely love that Wax & Wayne was because he had a cool idea on a plane ride, wrote an extended fight scene, and spun it out into a 4-book series.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
His editors are terrified when he springs 4 new books on them and has them scheduled to be published every three months, the gears of publication at Tor are forced to be a well oiled machine because of him.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Sanderson is a GRRM accolyte, right? Maybe he consumed all of his mentor's ability to write books.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
They have arrived.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

CapnAndy posted:

Sanderson is a GRRM accolyte, right? Maybe he consumed all of his mentor's ability to write books.

I'd say he came from the Robert Jordan area, since he finished Wheel of Time.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Fezz posted:

I'd say he came from the Robert Jordan area, since he finished Wheel of Time.

So he drained GRRM's writing ability and straight up murdered RJ, got it.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

They have arrived.

Good start, can't wait to see your journey :allears:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

CapnAndy posted:

I don't know if he's an acolyte but Sanderson certainly references GRRM in many livestreams or postscripts. GRRM was once a prolific and truly gifted writer but seems fame and pressure to produce under a timeframe effectively did him in. Pretty sure too the James SA Corey duo jumping over to Expanse didn't help.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Louisgod posted:

I don't know if he's an acolyte but Sanderson certainly references GRRM in many livestreams or postscripts. GRRM was once a prolific and truly gifted writer but seems fame and pressure to produce under a timeframe effectively did him in. Pretty sure too the James SA Corey duo jumping over to Expanse didn't help.

Patrick Rothfuss seems like he's in the same boat.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Louisgod posted:

Were they assistants? I knew they were accolytes too.

I'm still assuming that we'll get Winds of Winter and Dream of Spring after GRRM kicks it as a Sanderson/Corey joint project.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Mordiceius posted:

We don't speak that name around here

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Were they assistants? I knew they were accolytes too.

I'm still assuming that we'll get Winds of Winter and Dream of Spring after GRRM kicks it as a Sanderson/Corey joint project.

Sanderson has been asked about "finishing ASOIAF" multiple times and his response is always the same: Heck no.

1 - He's far far far far too busy with the Cosmere and his own personal projects to take that on.
2 - He's not the right person, tonally, to finish it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Mordiceius posted:

Rothfus has neither the talant nor the work ethic to even be in the same paragraph as GRRM, Sanderson, and Jordan.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
TWoK - Part 2

Kaladin going from War hero to enslaved person is pretty depressing as hell. Also, how many sprens are there in this world? I can only imagine that whenever this series of books get turned into a TV series at some point, they will oversexualize the hell out of the windspren that talks with him.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
You can think of (most) Spren as those anime emotes and loopy loony toons stars, except diegetic to the world around the characters. Stormlight is *~The most Anime~* of books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

A Sneaker Broker posted:

TWoK - Part 2

Kaladin going from War hero to enslaved person is pretty depressing as hell. Also, how many sprens are there in this world? I can only imagine that whenever this series of books get turned into a TV series at some point, they will oversexualize the hell out of the windspren that talks with him.

Many, many, many. One of the biggest roadblocks in any possible adaptation of SA is that they're going to tone the spren way down to prevent everything from coming off all Looney Tunes, and even if they do, practically every shot is still going to need CGI.

e: Still the best sprenpost:

Mordiceius posted:

Though... you could argue that Way of Kings actually has the highest anime frequency in just the world building.

Here are some anger spren

A shocked spren has appeared next to this person

And with this character, some lust spren have appeared

And this person is affected by some confusion spren

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 2, 2024