Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Man the presentation is just so weird. It's like they had one team for the combat and realtime cutscenes and then another team for everything else. I'm not sure if they were deliberately trying to invoke the PS2 but who made this case:

Extra Tasty posted:

Is there a purpose to the rewind function as opposed to just loading a save?

The Normies(c) don't stagger saves so it's possible to save yourself into a trap due to Persona's timed progression. Being able to roll back and grind another night in Tartarus removes that restriction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I'm so excited to dig into this because persona 3 is the first of a lot of things for me. The original release came with a soundtrack that was my first videogame ost. I must have listened to these songs hundreds of times over the years. Reloaded's remixes don't hit as hard, so it always throws me off a bit. It's like a weird audio version of Uncanny Valley.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Extra Tasty posted:

Is there a purpose to the rewind function as opposed to just loading a save?

I definitely remember being able to get soft locked in the original release, so maybe it's to prevent that?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

DrManiac posted:

I'm so excited to dig into this because persona 3 is the first of a lot of things for me. The original release came with a soundtrack that was my first videogame ost. I must have listened to these songs hundreds of times over the years. Reloaded's remixes don't hit as hard, so it always throws me off a bit. It's like a weird audio version of Uncanny Valley.

I'm not even sure they aren't hitting as hard so much as our brains expect them to go one way, and we're disappointed when they don't.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Not hearing "SO DAAAAANCE" is getting to me

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Persona 3 Reload: A game by Swery

I don't know about anyone else, but I sure feel this is a

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Is it just me, or does the homeroom teacher look almost exactly like Yukari now? They have the same hair and color scheme, they could easily be sisters. It's been a while but I don't remember them being that similar before.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

She always looked like that.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Yeah, I remember joke(?) theories about Yukari going back in time.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I always assumed they were related in some way and was confused the game never brought it up.

Though according to Persona 5, Yukari eventually becomes a Sentai actor, so it's not her unless she's a career-changing time traveler

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
not being able to use the analog stick for menu selection is screwing me up bad

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I always assumed they were related in some way and was confused the game never brought it up.

Though according to Persona 5, Yukari eventually becomes a Sentai actor, so it's not her unless she's a career-changing time traveler

I feel like changing careers is both easier and more likely than traveling through time, personally.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The new Mitsuru voice actor is very close sounding to the original.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Clarste posted:

I feel like changing careers is both easier and more likely than traveling through time, personally.

I think evidence points to the contrary, (actual persona 5 royal spoilers), the only successful career change I can recall is Maruki's, and you had to do a whole Palace, beat his rear end like five times and shoot him in the face to make it happen. On the contrary, dude reached backwards through time and rewrote history, including resurrecting dudes from literal death, like it was nothing.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
the ending of royal always get me so stressed because I get overly concerned about maruki's finances after he turned into a cab driver

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I didn't think Yukari becoming Feather Pink was a spoiler. It's like her whole schitck in P4U.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Harlock posted:

The new Mitsuru voice actor is very close sounding to the original.

most of them are a close match so far. the only one really tripping me up is Igor - Kirk Thornton can’t quite match that breathy lilting affect Dan Woren used

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't love Thornton's Igor in P5 but to be fair to him, Woren's Igor only really worked for me in P4, he was way too breathy in 3, probably to distinguish from his Ikutsuki voice.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Is Officer Kurosawa Liam O'Brien?

E: he is! Why isn't he Akihiko again?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yes. To my understanding basically every original VA (except Fuuka, Ken, and Junpei's, the former two because they probably aren't working anymore and the latter for obvious reasons) has a bit role somewhere.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it might have been a genuine casting concern. he sounded a bit weird as a teenager twenty years ago, doubt that’s improved now

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I read the other day that an original VA was asked about it and they were told that SEGA wanted to bring in fresher talent for the main cast. Also, from what I can tell any weirdness with Alejandro Saab's performance is primarily direction. He wanted to do "I'll be waiting for this" basically 1-to-1 but he was told to do something different. I believe that, because I think if they wanted something more in the spirit of O'Brien's original performance they could have just gotten Kyle McCarley to do his Ei voice from 13 Sentinels.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I would assume that, once they realized that they were definitely going to have to replace at least 1 and probably 3 or more of the original main cast they decided it would be better to just recast the lot. Like, they can't keep Junpei, and they probably can't or don't want to keep Fuuka and Ken, so you might as well.

tracks with the fact that they recast Tara Platt's Mitsuru but kept her as Elizabeth when in the original she did both. The new Mitsuru VA sounds very similar to the old performance to me, and the old VA is still in the cast and has a fairly major part, so an overarching decision to redo the entire main cast is the most likely reasoning as I see it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
considering that Sega/Atlus put out that terrible live action ad for the game, maybe theyre trying to do some weird marketing stuff. kinda reminds me of the VA interactions for FE:3Hs but that seems more organic than anything.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Anybody else getting choppiness when some animations load for the first time? the first time I used Orpheus's Agi on 4/9 it happened, but not the second time.

Similarly, the first time the transition between portions of the day (black background with moving second hand) happened, it was choppy as gently caress, but was fine after.

Running the game on a 5800X3D + 6700XT with a 1440p monitor, so I was surprised I was encountering this.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also, let's be honest, the original P3 dub was not the finest work of a lot of the cast.

e: there are good VAs in there, of course, I especially think O'Brien, George, and Platt were doing pretty well, but there's also, like, Fuuka.

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 2, 2024

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

anakha posted:

Anybody else getting choppiness when some animations load for the first time? the first time I used Orpheus's Agi on 4/9 it happened, but not the second time.

Similarly, the first time the transition between portions of the day (black background with moving second hand) happened, it was choppy as gently caress, but was fine after.

Running the game on a 5800X3D + 6700XT with a 1440p monitor, so I was surprised I was encountering this.

That's almost definitely shader compilation stutter. Not much you can do about that, unfortunately, except for poking the dev to add a precompilation step (or improving that if it already exists).

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

For context, here are the main Persona Steam releases ranked in terms of 24-hour peaks during launch:

• Persona 3 Reload - 42,112
  • Persona 5 Royal - 35,474
  • Persona 4 Golden - 29,984
  • Persona 5 Strikers - 8,730
  • Persona 4 Arena Ultimax - 7,099

Guess the simultaneous launch worked.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Considering it's day 1 on gamepass that seems pretty good. Certainly if I was going to play it right now I would be tempted to go that way

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

70 bucks is steep for a remake of a game I still vibrantly remember playing new. But not paying anything more to play it on gamepass makes it a no brainer.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I got that €1 gamepass trial and it seems like a pretty nice price for a game I've owned 4 copies of

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Looked at a walkthrough and that's, uh, a lot of arcade money. I think I did a three hour stint thwacking everything up to floor 22, then fusing and going back to fill up personas. If I sold the accessories and all the sale-only loot I'd only hit ~30k.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

How the gently caress is there a 100% guide for a game released today

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think all the big guide sites, powerpyx probably first among them, generally get early copies as part of the SEO stew of promoting the game

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

SettingSun posted:

How the gently caress is there a 100% guide for a game released today

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Yeah it would make sense if other guide sites like got early release copies too.

Also, I watched like a 69 part LP and it's actually not that bad since each part was close to 30-45min so I could watched it before I went to bed :v:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

anakha posted:

For context, here are the main Persona Steam releases ranked in terms of 24-hour peaks during launch:

• Persona 3 Reload - 42,112
  • Persona 5 Royal - 35,474
  • Persona 4 Golden - 29,984
  • Persona 5 Strikers - 8,730
  • Persona 4 Arena Ultimax - 7,099

Guess the simultaneous launch worked.

Just how bad was Tactica?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Some significant differences to the general Tartarus Experience I've noticed so far:

- Money seems easier to come by (at least early), largely due to the Arcana Burst thing making all the money cards give like ~1500. Plus all the breakable things. I think I ended up with like 25k (before selling any items) just from reaching floor 22.
- Unless I've gotten really unlucky, non-twilight chests appear to never give weapons or non-accessory armor. I remember having a bunch of copies of various weapons after grinding Thebel on P3P, but I don't have a single weapon/armor looted from a chest this time.
- Merciless seems pretty hard. Bosses and stronger enemies very easily 1-shot characters.

Mailer posted:

Looked at a walkthrough and that's, uh, a lot of arcade money. I think I did a three hour stint thwacking everything up to floor 22, then fusing and going back to fill up personas. If I sold the accessories and all the sale-only loot I'd only hit ~30k.

One thing to keep in mind (that the guides like that don't mention and the game itself is also slow to mention) is that Twilight Fragments are just sitting around throughout the world. And they're necessary to do the full heal (and I have no idea how you'd reach the max floor without that on max difficulty). I also suspect that specific guide might be a modified P3P guide (though maybe this is because you can max all S-Links by following that guide with minor modifications).

edit: I feel like Twilight Fragments might be more plentiful once the missions and stuff unlock, since I think they're rewarded by those? As is, I absolutely wasn't able to open most twilight chests I encountered in Thebel (though you can always go back and open them later, it looks like). Granted, that's partly because I spent 7 on a full heal, but even if I hadn't I still wouldn't have been able to open them, since some require 3 fragments (I'd be willing to bet those might have special weapons/armor).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 2, 2024

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)
Hum. I have 41k in base funds from forcing all out attacks on the first few floors since the protagonist doesn't 1hko the Cowardly Mayas with his basic slash attack. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Harlock posted:

Just how bad was Tactica?

4,344. Woof.