Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

orcane posted:

Now do XFX' THICC.

"drat, that's card is THICC!!!!!"

e: actually since the thicc models have heat traps, it would probably be
The Heat Is Compromising Components

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
It just means Thicc, you can't put Thicc unless it's certified by the Thiccness council.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

orcane posted:

Now do XFX' THICC.

Xavier Farnsworth Xylophone, THe Insurrectionist Capricious Cpu, I'll see myself out

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

4080 super came, coming from an EVGA FTW 3080, this thing is the most comically huge thing, even the included support bracket wouldn't fit in the o11 dynamic evo with fans in the bottom, ended up using a film canister I found that also somehow had a roll of unused walmart film in it. Also pro tip, get those 40 series drivers now, I couldn't open firefox because it was still trying to open in the old resolution and i had to use......edge...!

wow elden ring finally runs 60 fps 1440p ultra everything including ray tracing

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 2, 2024

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Branch Nvidian posted:

QICK: Quite an Interesting Consumer Kard
SWFT: Superior Whine From The coils
MERC: Many Extreme Radeon Cards
ZERO WB: you don't actually get a water block in the retail box

I unironically think some graphics card manufacturer's marketing departments would benefit from having you as a naming improvement consultant.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

runaway dog posted:

4080 super came, coming from an EVGA FTW 3080, this thing is the most comically huge thing, even the included support bracket wouldn't fit in the o11 dynamic evo with fans in the bottom, ended up using a film canister I found that also somehow had a roll of unused walmart film in it. Also pro tip, get those 40 series drivers now, I couldn't open firefox because it was still trying to open in the old resolution and i had to use......edge...!

wow elden ring finally runs 60 fps 1440p ultra everything including ray tracing

I wish I had gotten a photo of my 2070 and my 4080s side by side as the size difference was quite ridiculous. I’m glad I had also swapped cases from an old Fractal Meshify C to a Fractal North as there was no way it would have fit in the old case I think.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Turmoil posted:

I went with the individually sleeved cables from Corsair and they were the easiest to work with in my situation with the Asus TUF 4070 Ti Super.

eh, I just have mine kind of loosely in there. I did triple check that it was seated all the way on both the card and psu

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

orcane posted:

Now do XFX' THICC.

Too Huge In Compact Cases

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Branch Nvidian posted:

SWFT: Superior Whine From The coils

:negative:

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

chami posted:

I wish I had gotten a photo of my 2070 and my 4080s side by side as the size difference was quite ridiculous. I’m glad I had also swapped cases from an old Fractal Meshify C to a Fractal North as there was no way it would have fit in the old case I think.

I said the exact same thing, I might be able to cobble together an installation before after pic if i still have a pic of the 3080 installed somewhere on my phone

edit: nope

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 2, 2024

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Too Huge In Compact Cases

:D

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

everyone has forgotten the peak of the XFX lineup, the FATBOY

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

FuturePastNow posted:

I do like that this is an actual product name:

XFX SPEEDSTER MERC 310 AMD Radeon™ RX 7900 XTX Black Edition

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

FuturePastNow posted:

Really missed an opportunity to make the FATBOY Slim

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Kinda sucks there's no support for the Tuf 4080 super yet in Signalrgb, I'm stuck with it in rainbow mode until it does, because I'm not letting armory crate within a mile of this installation.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

runaway dog posted:

Kinda sucks there's no support for the Tuf 4080 super yet in Signalrgb, I'm stuck with it in rainbow mode until it does, because I'm not letting armory crate within a mile of this installation.

Does anyone sell little curtains to go on the side of tempered glass cases?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Kramjacks posted:

Does anyone sell little curtains to go on the side of tempered glass cases?

That could be an interesting look :thunk:

side panel side note, I couldn't put mine back on with the 12vhpwr adapter on, gotta wait for that right angle one.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 2, 2024

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

chami posted:

I’m glad I had also swapped cases from an old Fractal Meshify C to a Fractal North as there was no way it would have fit in the old case I think.

Does the 4080 Super bump up against the front fans in the Fractal North?

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

chami posted:

Here's a PNY 1060, EVGA 3080, and MSI 4080. Rather surprisingly the 4080 fit in a Define 7 Compact with less than a finger width of space to spare and the adapter fit in nicely as well.

I have to say that seeing the little 1060 makes me appreciate it even more. It was the only card I could find during the first crypto rush and it was great, especially for being my first build in well over 10 years. I had zero complaints with it until RDR2 as that was pretty much the first game that I really started to feel it's limitations and but it was also the gpu that got the pc building hobby really going for me. It was a solid 1080p card paired with a i5-7600k.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Former Human posted:

My 4080 normal doesnt

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Former Human posted:

No, there’s at least 2 CM between the fans and my PNY 2080S.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Given the size of cards it almost makes sense to have the video card be the motherboard and the CPU fit into a smaller slot.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
I usually unplug the rgb header to the gpu board.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i used https://size.link/ just for fun to see just how big the msi gaming x card would be, and even though i knew the dimensions, it's impossible to comprehend how big that mofo is

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

runaway dog posted:

I know im a sucker, but im choosing to look at it like this: I was one of the lucky sons of bitches that was able to snag an MSRP 3080 during gpupocalypse, and I was also one of the lucky sons of bitches who sold my 1080 for $500 so basically I have a $200 3080 Im planning to sell for 400 or so so uh savings?

Similar boat. Got my 3080 for msrp and sold my 1080Ti for $550.

I was also able to buy 8 other Ampere GPUS (one 3060, four 3080s, two 3080Ti's, and one 3090) and resold them for cost plus $50 finders fee for camping out in Discords and watching drops.

What I'm saying is, I could've made out like a bandit and the GPU gods better take that into account.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

runaway dog posted:

I'm not letting armory crate within a mile of this installation.
:hmmorks:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1753729391845056667?t=XPH-Gk2H4NXF9BifmA4y1w&s=19

There was also a story about a model of this that was passively cooled and had a DVI port (which plays into it not needing a power connector)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/gpus/nvidias-top-gaming-gpu-prices-are-out-of-control-in-asia

Likely sensational reporting is saying that 4090s are selling for $2,500 to flippers who will sell them for $7,500 in China, apparently.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Twerk from Home posted:

https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/gpus/nvidias-top-gaming-gpu-prices-are-out-of-control-in-asia

Likely sensational reporting is saying that 4090s are selling for $2,500 to flippers who will sell them for $7,500 in China, apparently.

Wtf

on second thought, anyone willing to pay 7500 for a gaming cpu deserves that price

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

if it's true i assume the people spending that much aren't using them for gaming

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ITAR-violating flipping is advanced fun for sure

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
imagine busting sanctions for only high four figures

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I find it amusing that on my 7800x3d 4080S 3440x1440 platform I can get 90 fps with path tracing and frame gen ultra everything in CP77, completely max out alan wake 2 at some high number I forgot, Control, Tlou, Elden Ring, all maxed out smooth as gently caress, but if I load up a 100k population city in Cities 2 max everything and zoom in a bit it drops to like 25-30 fps, Cities 2 is the new Crysis.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 3, 2024

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

is cities 2 still rendering every citizens teeth

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

repiv posted:

is cities 2 still rendering every citizens teeth

Naw they specifically addressed that one, I remember getting a reasonable boost from completely unplayable to tolerable cinematic fps around the time that fix happened.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Do they have any kind of occlusion culling yet?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

more pressingly does unity have any rendering engineers left

https://twitter.com/gekido/status/1753107847230152820

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Do they have any kind of occlusion culling yet?

I suspect not, that was the other thing and I'm always looking at the steam patch notes, seems like the teeth thing was a big deal because of streamers so they addressed it, but that was months ago and I remember them saying that was going to be the last patch for awhile or something that made me raise an eyebrow. They came out with at least one more but I don't think it did anything the only other thing I've noticed is the water physics seem less comically bad now though oddly still not at the level of CS1's

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Really, the teeth thing was only a problem because they didn't have occlusion culling. That's what should have grabbed headlines, but everyone was obsessed with the fact that the game has decent character detail if you zoom in. I bet that aspect would have been praised if the game actually performed well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

occlusion culling is not simple or free, anything you can do to reduce geometry statically is good. like setting a polygon budget and realizing that teeth are not worth it