Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It seems like it, finally going against the cliche that T7 players hate playing women, I guess being a Mishima is more important lol

https://twitter.com/AlietteFaye/status/1753217490971246997

I was torn between maining Dragunov, Victor, and Leroy so I guess it’s gotta be Leroy for the sake of contrarianism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Not experienced enough at her to really say since I'm only just starting to learn her as well, but can you link the docs? I've got a link to the cheatsheet one which is great, but more info is pretty much always better

For sure! Again, I dunno how relevant this stuff is but this is what I've got

Big Lili Doc
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AxMveeafPJQzgBIhJXv_JHV4lEOn4L3glTlQuUlZJU0/

I also have a bunch of "Lili starter guide" videos from YT laying around but I won't spam the thread with those cause they're abundant and easy to find.

Edit: found this also on Lili discord, here's a playlist from YT with individual lessons on how to play Lili, like individual vids on dew glide, punishers, etc
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmkdAQ_mWKc5oNo2xzqm3XHJpnDWaZhjR

eggrolled fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 2, 2024

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Not experienced enough at her to really say since I'm only just starting to learn her as well, but can you link the docs? I've got a link to the cheatsheet one which is great, but more info is pretty much always better

can you link the cheatsheet? is that a list of basic moves, confirms, punishes, etc. for all the characters?

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

Foul Fowl posted:

can you link the cheatsheet? is that a list of basic moves, confirms, punishes, etc. for all the characters?

I gotchu
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTsgbCJNSTKajMNlJvQleJOl0eTiEcV-PbeU0obDg1lsSqmz0lTtcD2k6NzfTPt7Db9Ua2dz1o_34Sv/pubhtml

edit: it is a WIP so not everyone's is done

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Shockeh posted:

I feel like there's a lot of sneaky macro players out there.

Like, absolute shitters who can't block to save their life, have no concept of spacing or movement around the arena, know precisely one combo, but can chain EWGFs flawlessly 9 times in a row.

There were definitely cheaters grinding their way up the leaderboard with varying degrees of brazenness in 7, and I hear they have new tech in 8

For example apparently there's one where they just need to touch you once and then they suddenly win all three rounds lol

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There were definitely cheaters grinding their way up the leaderboard with varying degrees of brazenness in 7, and I hear they have new tech in 8

For example apparently there's one where they just need to touch you once and then they suddenly win all three rounds lol

I read the autoblock client was popular enough to be annoying on PC. I'd that happens I'll turn pff cross play or just manually decline non Xbox and PS matches.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Thank you! :cheers:

Lots of good info here, appreciate it, edit: though dumb question: is the 4.0 guide actually for T8?

I mostly ask because they talk about S! which is screw attack, and Rage Drives which are both T7 systems

Double edit: actually yeah, there's good info for the legacy stuff here for sure, but a decent chunk of it is T7 info and I believe Lili received some pretty substantial buffs in T8. Great for a starting point at minimum though! For example, the Lili doc specifically refers to 2D characters lol. Eyeballing it though, it seems like most of the stuff still totally applies from what I've seen in the T8 docs/vids I've seen?

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 2, 2024

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

hell yeah thank you

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
wait what the gently caress genjutsu stance reverses lows and throws? that explains so much

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Shockeh posted:

Like, absolute shitters who can't block to save their life, have no concept of spacing or movement around the arena, know precisely one combo, but can chain EWGFs flawlessly 9 times in a row.

could be they are using hitbox, those make electrics and perfect kbd very easy

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
The only Zafina I have fought still at this point is my ghost so I see no particular reason to generally argue with the posted demographics. I personally have pulled relatively few Victor or Jin matches and still no Kazuya, but otherwise, yeah, feels right.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Having a problem with this game where when I get matched up against someone I haven't seen much of I want to play them. Really enjoying King as usual (want Armor King tho) and Reina, but just about every single character seems to have a cool thing I want to check out or try in this game. Very happy with T8 overall after not being super excited when it first got announced.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Urethane posted:

could be they are using hitbox, those make electrics and perfect kbd very easy

This is not fully true. There is a leverless trick for electrics, but that one itself actually requires quite a bit of practice to do in an actual match, and it only works on one side unless you have specifically placed, extra movement buttons. It's nice for a video demo. The motion of a kbd is very easy on leverless, but it is actually pretty easy on any controller. Getting it tight and fast is the real story and that requires a lot of practice and training of the fingers (regardless of controller).

Autsj fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 2, 2024

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
So I'm having trouble getting perfect inputs to work consistently.
For example, Lee's Mist Trap Throw (a, a, b) triggers sometimes at 17-19 frames between a-b but not always. Do I have to press the actual buttons for some limited time as well?

Clarification, I'm kind of pressing the previous buttons at the same speed so that the b is on the hit.

Ninja edit
So it seems it's most consistent at exactly 31 frames from the first input. I guess that attack will never happen when I meet an active opponent 💩

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 2, 2024

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

On the topic of Leroy does anyone have any good resources for playing him in T8? After a couple of days of labbing with him I think I've settled on him as my main. Him and Sugar are by far some of the coolest loving characters in Tekken.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

So if I understand the heat system correctly, if I want to blow my resources in a max damage combo it basically goes:

Launcher of some form->Filler high damage moves->string that gives a T!->Activate Heat for the bound or whatever it's called->Heat Engager string + hold forward->Ender or rage art? If I'm using the ender, then ideally we get a wall splat and some damage on the wall as well

So for Lili a really basic example using the spreadsheet:

D/F+2 > D/F+2~B > BT3,4 > b1,4 T! > Dash up activate Heat > Something like 3,1~F > f,f+3~f+1,4

I really should probably sit down and go through the tutorial mode at some point..

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 2, 2024

Enthusiasm
Jul 11, 2010

NEVER go back for any reason.
What should I be doing when I'm knocked down near a wall? It seems to be.. a very bad situation to be in and it feels like I get repeatedly knocked back down in the standing animation.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Weird Pumpkin posted:

So if I understand the heat system correctly, if I want to blow my resources in a max damage combo it basically goes:

Launcher of some form->Filler high damage moves->string that gives a T!->Activate Heat for the bound or whatever it's called->Heat Engager string + hold forward->Ender or rage art? If I'm using the ender, then ideally we get a wall splat and some damage on the wall as well

So for Lili a really basic example using the spreadsheet:

D/F+2 > D/F+2~B > BT3,4 > b1,4 T! > Dash up activate Heat > Something like 3,1~F > f,f+3~f+1,4

I really should probably sit down and go through the tutorial mode at some point..

I don't know Lili really so can't advice you there but the core idea is pretty much that. Mind that "bound" is just the old term for the Tornado state and since a heat burst doesn't use up the "Tornado state" calling it a "bound" is just a bit of unofficial shorthand that I used earlier this thread. I don't think the tutorial will teach you much more beyond this, you seem pretty much at the point to just experiment yourself and see how other people do it and compare/combine/copy.

Enthusiasm posted:

What should I be doing when I'm knocked down near a wall? It seems to be.. a very bad situation to be in and it feels like I get repeatedly knocked back down in the standing animation.

Speaking very generally: sideroll off of the ground, then step-guard out from your predicament (step, b, step, b, step, b). Or until you step/block an attack of your opponent that lets you jab pressure or punish your way out. Some throws can also be used at this point if they switch positions both on break and without.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 2, 2024

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Shockeh posted:

That and/or they're Hitbox players who jumped on the bandwagon and are now learning that they still suck at Tekken.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Autsj posted:

I don't know Lili really so can't advice you there but the core idea is pretty much that. Mind that "bound" is just the old term for the Tornado state and since a heat burst doesn't use up the "Tornado state" calling it a "bound" is just a bit of unofficial shorthand that I used earlier this thread. I don't think the tutorial will teach you much more beyond this, you seem pretty much at the point to just experiment yourself and see how other people do it and compare/combine/copy.

Speaking very generally: sideroll off of the ground, then step-guard out from your predicament (step, b, step, b, step, b). Or until you step/block an attack of your opponent that lets you jab pressure or punish your way out. Some throws can also be used at this point if they switch positions both on break and without.

Yeah I decided to actually look it up rather than just ask the thread shortly after, and it turns out you can do a heat dash, or a heat burst but apparently not both in a combo! So off a regular launch I imagine the best structure is probably: Launcher>Filler>Heat Burst/Dash>Tornado>Ender of your choice. I'll have to test it out when I've got a chance

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Yeah I decided to actually look it up rather than just ask the thread shortly after, and it turns out you can do a heat dash, or a heat burst but apparently not both in a combo! So off a regular launch I imagine the best structure is probably: Launcher>Filler>Heat Burst/Dash>Tornado>Ender of your choice. I'll have to test it out when I've got a chance

No you can absolutely do both, however moves that would give you a full combo after a dash obviously won't anymore---they'll just give you one more hit at the end. So you're spending all your heat for an extra hit (technically the burst is also a hit but it is pretty marginal).

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Autsj posted:

No you can absolutely do both, however moves that would give you a full combo after a dash obviously won't anymore---they'll just give you one more hit at the end. So you're spending all your heat for an extra hit (technically the burst is also a hit but it is pretty marginal).

Ah ok, PhiDX's video mentioned that if you do both, the second one will send them into a special state where you don't really get a follow up so I interpreted that as probably don't mix them

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

combo scaling after a heat dash is extreme so it usually only adds like 5 points of damage usually, unless it gets you to the wall it doesn't really seem like the best use of it

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Mishima that only practiced ewgf is like right next to guy who learned one combo and nothing else in Fighting Game guys

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

~I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.~

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

combo scaling after a heat dash is extreme so it usually only adds like 5 points of damage usually, unless it gets you to the wall it doesn't really seem like the best use of it

No, the scaling is explicitly reset back to 50% after a heat dash (though 100% of that is grey health). And with some moves like stomps you can get the grounded 80% scaling. It's quite doable to add 10-20 damage to your combo depending on your character and options.

Also, far as I can tell you cannot connect an RA after a heat dash during a combo. That makes a sense to me but there might be exceptions.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 2, 2024

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lol i have not learned anything about heat at all apparently, i just learned today that Azucena has moves that are heat-dash-like but aren't actually heat dashes.

It seems like a huge thing and the idea that all the top players are still playing Tekken 7 so whoever starts actually playing 8 will have an advantage is real i guess

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

~I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.~

My friend plays Hwoarang and I can tell you I absolutely fear the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Made it up into the greens. I surely do hate fighting Victor, every single one I've faced does 15 hit juggle combos over and over and I don't get to play.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

It's funny how the most valuable advice I think I've ever received in Tekken is "DO NOT PUSH A BUTTON IN A STRING UNTIL YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE IT"S OVER"

doesn't matter how interruptible it looks, it's almost always a trap until you're more experienced

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

Basticle posted:

Made it up into the greens. I surely do hate fighting Victor, every single one I've faced does 15 hit juggle combos over and over and I don't get to play.

I hate attempting to press a button at any point fighting a victor and they teleport above me and ruin my life

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

It's funny how the most valuable advice I think I've ever received in Tekken is "DO NOT PUSH A BUTTON IN A STRING UNTIL YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE IT"S OVER"

doesn't matter how interruptible it looks, it's almost always a trap until you're more experienced

100% True. Unfortunately, there is also a bunch of people (Jins!) who abuse this to steal turns because they never; ever stop pushing buttons.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I've only fought against like 3 Jins total which is crazy

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I customized my main for the first time since launch day, and when I went back into Ranked and picked the new costume, my next fight had me locked into the special control thingymajig where every button does something completely different than normally. And heat engage did not exist, because I'd removed it as a shortcut in my controller setup on day one. I still beat the garyu-ranked Hwoarang I was matched against though, so now I know the key to that matchup is to forget every move and setup I've ever learned.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Why is it always the coffee queens turn, strings have to end somewhere

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

AndyElusive posted:

On the topic of Leroy does anyone have any good resources for playing him in T8? After a couple of days of labbing with him I think I've settled on him as my main. Him and Sugar are by far some of the coolest loving characters in Tekken.

Bumping this, I'm also settling on Leroy after exploring so many characters (goddamn Tekken giving me choice overload)

My impression is that if you're only getting into Tekken now the newer characters will "feel" better to you.

(I know Leroy was introduced 5 years ago in T7, but he still feel like a "new character" to me compared to say Kazuya)

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Man I need to watch PhiDX's King video clearly cause it's apparently a Wrestlemania tonight, and I'm a jobber

Got absolutely dunked by two kings back to back lol

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Seltzer posted:

How's Feng in t8. Dabbled with him a bit in 7 before he got really strong near the end

I gave him a shot today. I mained him in Tekken 7 so it felt like I was doing war crimes as I climbed the ranks in T8. He plays about the same as T7, with a few differences:

headbutt is 0 on block, so functionally replaced with the new b3 knee which has similar range and startup and is very plus. He doesn't slide in though so it's no longer a mixup, but on the other hand easier to input.

2~1,1 no longer launches, it just knocks down. Also the input is now d1+2, 1. Easier to do input, but having a safe mid high damage launcher used to be nice. Back in the old days if you sidestepped next to someone they were basically in a 50/50 mixup between combo sweep and safe combo mid.

f3,4 now has a safe high f3,2 alternative if you're a coward.

b1 knocks back on every hit if you're in turbo mode or whatever it's called.

4+1 (spinning low kick and face punch) is now a while crouching move, so no longer a goto close range quick low.

db3 is as obnoxious as ever, apply liberally to their shins if they don't block low.

I'm sure there's some new tech out there but if you just play him as a T7 Feng you'll do fine.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Nice Van My Man posted:

I gave him a shot today. I mained him in Tekken 7 so it felt like I was doing war crimes as I climbed the ranks in T8. He plays about the same as T7, with a few differences:

Thanks. Bummer about the headbutt not being plus. It's a rad animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Who's the df1 dispenser in this game?