Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

don't like ghosts, don't watch my movies. don't like ghosts, don't watch my movies. What's the matter, too many ghosts for you?

I'm a Ghostbuster, it's my job to challenge the afterlife!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Kevyn posted:

Reginald VelJohnson for mayor.

A man born to play civil servants his entire career.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Hasbro have subtly announced a 1984 neutrona wand.

https://hasbropulse.com/products/ghostbusters-plasma-series-neutrona-wand-1984

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

I can't say I'm shocked, it seemed like a logical way to double-dip on a majority of tooling for this mold. I have the original Spengler wand from many years ago and I'll probably grab this one as well as it's my preferred design (minus the orange cap). That said, the Spengler wand is good and I've grown fond of the faux wood and faux tape grips.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
:lol: I was just thinking about trying to sell my old Mattel wand yesterday, probably worth a lot less today.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Wow that does look pretty nice. Maybe I should get one....

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I'm so torn on this trailer - everything involving the ice demon looks really cool, I'm hyped to see New York again (even if modern New York doesn't have the romance of grungy New York), but every lazy callback makes me fizz with rage. I'm going to see this, aren't I?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Disco Pope posted:

I'm so torn on this trailer - everything involving the ice demon looks really cool, I'm hyped to see New York again (even if modern New York doesn't have the romance of grungy New York), but every lazy callback makes me fizz with rage. I'm going to see this, aren't I?

Repeatedly, yes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Disco Pope posted:

You don’t have too.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'll probably watch it once, then go back to just watching the original and the cartoons occasionally.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Call backs can be done well and they can be enjoyable, I think it's a mistake to put them in a trailer though. It comes off as desperate, sends a bad message that the movie you made is dependent on them. Sell fans on the new story, then let them be surprised by the call backs when they actually watch the movie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Basebf555 posted:

Call backs can be done well and they can be enjoyable, I think it's a mistake to put them in a trailer though. It comes off as desperate, sends a bad message that the movie you made is dependent on them. Sell fans on the new story, then let them be surprised by the call backs when they actually watch the movie.

There was a massive backlash when the 2016 film didn't pander to people's nostalgia sufficiently and they've been massively overcorrecting ever since

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Ok, so I watched the trailer a few times and where's Podcast? According to IMDB he's in it

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Ok, so I watched the trailer a few times and where's Podcast? According to IMDB he's in it

He's in it for like half a second

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Basebf555 posted:

He's in it for like half a second

Thank god.

Edit: Oh you meant the trailer, not the movie. Dammit

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's around 50 secs, then he also appears in the background later in the trailer but he's all blurry.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lobok posted:

Thank god.

Edit: Oh you meant the trailer, not the movie. Dammit

The Empire preview article says that Ray's primary role in the movie--beyond delivering the monster lore--is being a mentor to Podcast.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
The thing that feels off to me about the trailer is the part where the frozen person crumbles to bits like the T1000. Original GB and GB2 (and probably Afterlife for that matter, I don't really remember) had the ghosts be very menacing and brought a sense of 'peril', but I don't think anyone actually died in any one of those? (EDIT: except Egon in Afterlife, I guess. but that was kind of the point)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

The thing that feels off to me about the trailer is the part where the frozen person crumbles to bits like the T1000. Original GB and GB2 (and probably Afterlife for that matter, I don't really remember) had the ghosts be very menacing and brought a sense of 'peril', but I don't think anyone actually died in any one of those? (EDIT: except Egon in Afterlife, I guess. but that was kind of the point)

Yeah, and like... There's no way that everyone makes it off the beach and, I don't know, out of the ferris wheel, before being frozen, likely to death.

I'm guessing that they'll do it but then there'll be a way to reverse the damage done and anyone who died comes back to life.

Also, Gozer ripped Ivo Shandor in half within 3 seconds of meeting him.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Surely that ghoul cab driver in the first movie caused some accidents and killed folks. Otherwise people would have known immediately he wasn't a cab driver.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Yeah but Shandor was already some kind of half zombie undead abomination anyway so that doesn't count.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I honestly wish they’d expanded on Shandor being alive in Afterlife. He’s there for 30 seconds, and then done.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

I honestly wish they’d expanded on Shandor being alive in Afterlife. He’s there for 30 seconds, and then done.

Especially since they cast fucken JK Simmons as Shandor.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Did the Shandor part get cut down to just a cameo?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

Especially since they cast fucken JK Simmons as Shandor.

I always enjoy a gag like that though, where they cast a known actor and then off them within minutes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Casting JK makes sense because he worked with him in Juno

It’s Olivia Wilde was Gozer that is crazy to me lmao

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

HJE-Cobra posted:

Wow that does look pretty nice. Maybe I should get one....

The Spengler wand was totally worth the $125, and I’m double dipping for this one. It’s fun to fiddle with, but the best thing is showing someone else how to use it. The way their eyes light up when it starts humming is great.

Had AEW wrestlers Sammy Guevara and Tay Conti come to our booth at a con, and got to show them how the wands work. Sammy was giddy, and I don’t think Tay ever saw Ghostbusters.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Casting JK makes sense because he worked with him in Juno

It’s Olivia Wilde was Gozer that is crazy to me lmao

And Shohreh Aghdashloo for the voice, which was extremely on point.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

The Spengler wand was totally worth the $125, and I’m double dipping for this one. It’s fun to fiddle with, but the best thing is showing someone else how to use it. The way their eyes light up when it starts humming is great.

Isn't it? :haw:

When something works exactly how it does in a movie, their inner child comes out, and it's so wonderful to see. :3:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The_Doctor posted:

When something works exactly how it does in a movie, their inner child comes out, and it's so wonderful to see. :3:

I got to show off my wand and proton pack at work on Halloween and I blew so many coworkers’ minds, it was fantastic. Handling the wand is just such a fun tactile experience.

I have the Spengler wand and I love it, I’m not in a rush to get the 84 wand though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
One thing about the trailers for GB:FE I forgot to mention is that the line "We might be looking at a second ice age!" really irks me because the most recent ice age (the Quaternary glaciation) is still ongoing, we're just in the Holocene interglacial where the ice sheets have mostly receded to the Antarctic and Greenland. If there's ice sheets then we're in an ice age, that's the definition of the term.

But on the other hand there's a whole lot of conspiracy crackpots who have a poor understanding of glaciology and climate science who love to throw around lines like that so I guess it's also completely on brand for Ray to say it. :v:
Phoebe better fuckin' call him on that, Egon would never have stood for it. :colbert:

E:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

One thing about the trailers for GB:FE I forgot to mention is that the line "We might be looking at a second ice age!" really irks me because the most recent ice age (the Quaternary glaciation) is still ongoing, we're just in the Holocene interglacial where the ice sheets have mostly receded to the Antarctic and Greenland. If there's ice sheets then we're in an ice age, that's the definition of the term.

But on the other hand there's a whole lot of conspiracy crackpots who have a poor understanding of glaciology and climate science who love to throw around lines like that so I guess it's also completely on brand for Ray to say it. :v:
Phoebe better fuckin' call him on that, Egon would never have stood for it. :colbert:

E:

Never has a username been so... oddly apt for a goonsay post.

And I'm not even trying to say you're wrong, I don't know poo poo about gently caress.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

I always enjoy a gag like that though, where they cast a known actor and then off them within minutes.

It also worked with Shandor thinking he was going to achieve godhood too, what a worthless speck a warlock to a god.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The_Doctor posted:

My pack had a wire come loose at an event that I still need to fix, so I wish it worked a little better for the price tag.

I did get my ‘84 wand today though. Was not expecting to get it so quick. Just a little paint for the orange tip, and it’ll be ready to replace my Spengler one.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Basebf555 posted:

Yeah, that's it exactly. Even when watching RGB as a kid, it was like "what hosed up poo poo are they going to encounter this week" or the toy line was like "a football player that turns into some kind of John Carpenter alligator?! Okay". Even Ghostbusters 2 was like "gently caress it. Phantom jogger and here's a living coat", so when the monster zoo is reduced to 'memberberries it a real loss. But maybe Ray will get that blow job for real this time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Season 1 of RGB is truly great. Punched way above its weight as far as Saturday morning cartoons went in the '80s. JMS took the writing assignment seriously.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
almost any episode with the full original voice cast i.e. Lorenzo Music as Peter, Arsenio Hall as Winston and Laura Summer as Janine is worth watching. Yes, even the JMS episode where the guy makes a pact with a demon to rid the world of chickens which to be fair has an amazing title ("Chicken, He Clucked")

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ragnarok and Roll is about a disfigured guy with an Igor-like manservant who's so heartbroken about getting dumped that he played a flute that violently flooded the city. Like it's assumed hundreds of thousands, if not millions, died. He was able to reverse it, but :stare: at that whole premise.

Edit: oh right, he was possessed.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 5, 2024

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

There was definitely an A team and B team for the animation (or at least a good animation house and an ok one). Some RGB eps are stunning to look at, like Venkman’s Ghost Repellers or the afore-mentioned Ragnarok’n’Roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

There was definitely an A studio, Tokyo Movie Shinsa worked on several episodes - particularly the pilot and the specials - among other shows that they worked on like the first seasons and openings of Ducktales and Rescue Rangers, Gargoyles, Tiny Toons (in fact the ninety minute special How I Spent My Vacation is 100% TMS), and so on.

You might also know Tokyo Movie Shinsa for their most famous work

AKIRA.

Believe it or not, production on this movie was worked on side by side with Ducktales and Gummi Bears episodes