Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

They'll be even more upset when Burnes is a Cub in 2025.

lol if you think we're spending ace money on a pitcher instead of vaguely gesturing at the farm and getting interviews from Hottovy about how he knows in his heart of hearts Wesneski has the tools to be an impact starter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

Cubs are still probably a worse team than last year

Until they sign Belli :hmmyes:

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Is it time for baseballs yet cause gently caress the Superbowl this year lol

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

gently caress. The timeline is looping, now?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1753486940350157080

Dang poor Stripling

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Nah, good for him. That just means he's gonna be a free agent soon.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Yankees thought their 2023 team was actually really good and they just got super unlucky so they basically just did the Soto trade to try to calm down the fans (the ultimate low hanging fruit) and basically nothing else to try to actually change the makeup of the team. I'm not hopeful that it's going to work.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

tadashi posted:

Nah, good for him. That just means he's gonna be a free agent soon.

He'll either be a full-time SP all season and hopefully get a good deal out of it next offseason, or he'll get flipped to a contender. Win-win.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

MrMidnight posted:

Is it time for baseballs yet cause gently caress the Superbowl this year lol

Yeah we've entered the boring month of sports. There's only one football game left (between two boring teams) midseason hockey, midseason basketball, and no baseball. Things don't pick up again until March Madness.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

mcmagic posted:

(the ultimate low hanging fruit)

lmao

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

these MOTHERFUCKERS traded for the best young hitter in baseball, what a bunch of dummies!!!!!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

if Rubenstein really wanted to announce his presence in Baltimore he should try to sign Soto next offseason

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What do you a think about his drop on K/9 from his peak

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

these MOTHERFUCKERS traded for the best young hitter in baseball, what a bunch of dummies!!!!!

The Yankees could use the incantations of some elder god and conjure up Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle and Lou Gehrig in their primes and mcmagic would say they were just trying to run it back with a lovely team that hadn't improved at all.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

AndrewP posted:

if Rubenstein really wanted to announce his presence in Baltimore he should try to sign Soto next offseason

Get Under Armor to chip in.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

live with fruit posted:

Get Under Armor to chip in.

It is a little surprising Kevin Plank isn’t somehow included in the investment group

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

R.D. Mangles posted:

They finished 19 games out of first last year. One guy might make that up but I doubt it.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

surely Rodon improves from... whatever that was last season

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

mcmagic posted:

The Yankees thought their 2023 team was actually really good and they just got super unlucky so they basically just did the Soto trade to try to calm down the fans (the ultimate low hanging fruit) and basically nothing else to try to actually change the makeup of the team. I'm not hopeful that it's going to work.

Outside of the Os hasnt the rest of the division also basically stayed the same or gotten worse? Wild card might not be what youre hoping for, but it seems possible if the Yankees roster at the very least stays healthy?

I could be way off though, im not exactly a die hard baseball fan. All I know is Rogers will continue to settle for mediocre with the Jays as long as they are the only Canadian team.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yankees season is going to live and die on Judge and Rodon being healthy or not. If they are then they're a force. If not they're gonna get dumpstered by the O's and Rays.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Furnaceface posted:

Outside of the Os hasnt the rest of the division also basically stayed the same or gotten worse? Wild card might not be what youre hoping for, but it seems possible if the Yankees roster at the very least stays healthy?

I could be way off though, im not exactly a die hard baseball fan. All I know is Rogers will continue to settle for mediocre with the Jays as long as they are the only Canadian team.

Yea it's possible for sure but is this team trying to finish 7 games back instead of 19 or are they trying to win the world series? They "say" they are trying to win the world series.......

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
how big is the actual payoff between "in the playoffs" and "in the playoffs with a bye round"? i.e. what is the diminishing return on wins past the point of "enough for the postseason"

i may be wording this ineptly but i mean the question seriously

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

Yankees season is going to live and die on Judge and Rodon being healthy or not. If they are then they're a force. If not they're gonna get dumpstered by the O's and Rays.

I think it's more on Rizzo and to a lesser extent Stanton. Judge's injury in 2023 was a freak thing.

elentar posted:

how big is the actual payoff between "in the playoffs" and "in the playoffs with a bye round"? i.e. what is the diminishing return on wins past the point of "enough for the postseason"

i may be wording this ineptly but i mean the question seriously

I mean, if you listen to a bunch of players and pundits the bye might be a bad thing!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

not having to play a wild card round roughly doubles your odds of winning it all, from maybe 5 to 10% if you're good

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

I think it's more on Rizzo and to a lesser extent Stanton. Judge's injury in 2023 was a freak thing.

Stanton is toast and shouldn't be relied on in any capacity. Rizzo though yeah if he bounces back to being an >.800 OPS guy it'd be huge.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Hopefully Rizzo has actually gotten real treatment for a scombled brain because if not all I can tell ya is that getting back to his hold production is... unlikely.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Hand Row posted:

The state funding thing has gotten smarter by framing it with the income tax they collect on the players. I dunno how states without an income tax are shoving these giveaways in this era.

Usually hotel taxes, I thought.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean, if you listen to a bunch of players and pundits the bye might be a bad thing!

Rizzo was a sub 3 win player even in his full, healthy season as a Yankee and Stanton is completely cooked. Anything they get from him would be shocking. They had to move away from those guys and they didn't even try.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

Judge is obviously incredible but he's had 3 healthy seasons in his career and he's now in his 30s

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mcmagic posted:

Rizzo was a sub 3 win player even in his full, healthy season as a Yankee and Stanton is completely cooked. Anything they get from him would be shocking. They had to move away from those guys and they didn't even try.

It's kind of hard to move away from a guy when he's been experiencing post-concussion syndrome for two-thirds of the season and your medical staff doesn't pick up on it and bench him.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

mcmagic posted:

They finished 19 games out of first last year. One guy might make that up but I doubt it.

Inshallah.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Not looking forward to Soto the Dodger after they lose to the Reds in the NLDS

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1753625624755785732

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
smooth

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

it's a move that probably makes the twins better but man Carlos Santana as your bigish free agent move is depressing for a team favored to win its division

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

TheFlyingLlama posted:

it's a move that probably makes the twins better but man Carlos Santana as your bigish free agent move is depressing for a team favored to win its division

especially after losing the guy who finished second in cy young voting

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

TheFlyingLlama posted:

The AL Central is a scam.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TheFlyingLlama posted:

They already set expectations at the start of the offseason so it wasn't really much of a shock. Any big move was always going to have to come via trade.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1753892571443589325?s=20

Trader Jerry has one more in him I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How old is Santana now? 45?