Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
do it if you want. nothing is irreplaceable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
almost nothing you have in your bags is worth the effort, probably. this game pours an avalanche of misc poo poo at you

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Popoto posted:

just logged back in for the return campaign, and upon seeing the messy bags, promptly closed the game. I'm really itching at the idea of selling/deleting everything that's not specifically equipped/gear-setted on my character. its either that or restarting on a new character

Purge everything. Nothing important is forever lost. If it's from a seasonal event, you can get it again from the salvager. Otherwise, everything is replaceable.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
gonna donate vendor everything in the doman enclave i think. clean slate. you're all right.

e: maybe not the fantasia though. ill do ONE exception

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Popoto posted:

just logged back in for the return campaign, and upon seeing the messy bags, promptly closed the game. I'm really itching at the idea of selling/deleting everything that's not specifically equipped/gear-setted on my character. its either that or restarting on a new character

whenever there's an upcoming expansion, or i know i'm about to take an extended break, i'll spend an entire afternoon doing a deep clean on my inventory. anything that looks expensive, sell on the mb. anything that isn't, just discard or sell to a vendor. it's pretty refreshing, won't lie.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Might check to see if you can store anything in your armoire in any inn room, especially if you ever bought any cosmetics from the store.
Also if you ditch a relic weapon it could be painful to re-acquire, but if you're tryin' to spark joy now, that's probably not going to be the most major concern.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
My rule is that if you don't remember how to get it, it's not important enough to keep around.

Happy Seafood Guy
Oct 8, 2008

jalapeno_dude posted:

Is there actual data on abandon rates? I'd love to see it. But my suspicion on the 89 trial is that, since the game all but yells at you to do it with a trust, a significant portion of the first timers in it are people who literally couldn't manage to complete the trial with trusts.

How is that even possible? I poo poo the bed on that fight so bad and the trust still managed to drag my rear end through it.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Some people just...can't do a single thing if you have to look at something that's not orange on the floor. Looking at the boss is apparently far too hard. Even at 89, after many hours of gameplay.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If I'm running 89 with one newbie and it disbands because half the raid keeps dying, it's not the newbie's fault.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I always hate trying to clear out my crafting mats, because you honestly never know when you're going to need a potato from two expansions ago for the next tier of raid food.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

the_steve posted:

I always hate trying to clear out my crafting mats, because you honestly never know when you're going to need a potato from two expansions ago for the next tier of raid food.

The next tier of raid food is half a year away.

Personally my "I might need it later" is fishing bait, even though I haven't gone non-ocean fishing in ages.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Happy Seafood Guy posted:

How is that even possible? I poo poo the bed on that fight so bad and the trust still managed to drag my rear end through it.

some people are really loving bad at this game. sometimes it is due to a disability or something so i try not to judge.

i remember one time i joined an anamnesis anyder in progress at the 2nd boss. the one that puts the sword/hammer tiles on the floor that explode. the healer died to the first explosion set every time. even after explaining, telling them not to worry about healing anyone else at all, telling them to follow, etc. they ended up leaving the duty after about 5 wipes.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Bruceski posted:

The next tier of raid food is half a year away.

Personally my "I might need it later" is fishing bait, even though I haven't gone non-ocean fishing in ages.

Sure, but if I already have 400 potatoes, then that frees my retainers and I up to farm radishes.

And yeah, my chocobo saddlebag is loaded with bait because other than certain fish needing scrip bait, I'm never clear on if I just need the highest level freshwater/saltwater bait and that's fine, or if I still need the low level bait for if I ever try to do my fishing log

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The rare case that old mats are required for common items, they're trivial to gather in bulk. Or send your retainers. If you do need a shadowbringers potato, 30 minutes actively gathering will give you a stack, or you can just send our your retainer for like 50 every half hour.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

And if you use something like Teamcraft, it's so easy to be routed to get old mats.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, getting back into fishing has gotten me into full Inventory Hell Mode, and I need to be more ruthless about culling baits and just desynthing fish, because it's not even worth putting these "one of these sells for 100 gil every two weeks" fish on the MB.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

thankfully, after arr the bait situation gets a lot more manageable (going by individual expansions, at least)

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I abandon the 89 trial on principle if there's a newbie because they really should be doing it the way the game all but tells you you should do it and if I leave first they won't get a leavers penalty so have no excuse.

Edit: this was a joke that didn't land.

Rosalind fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 3, 2024

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rosalind posted:

I abandon the 89 trial on principle if there's a newbie because they really should be doing it the way the game all but tells you you should do it and if I leave first they won't get a leavers penalty so have no excuse.

This is truly mad behavior. Why would you admit this?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I'm devoted to ensuring strangers new to the story have the best possible time, anyway time to force them back into trial queue.

Or worse telling them how they should do it before you leave like the nerdiest school marm possible

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 3, 2024

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I regularly clear my inventory by going to my retainers and selling everything, either to the vendor or on the marketboard. I check prices as I go; if the stack of whatever thing I have goes for less than 1k total, I vendor it. I never actually run out of retainer selling space because it turns out most things are trash. I rarely even need to move to my second retainer.

If I need something later I can just buy it from the marketboard. It's like infinite storage for a small fee!

My retainers themselves are full of glamours I wanted to keep but are for a low-priority job (the dresser is full of healer and all-job stuff). My saddlebag is full of dyes.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I tried to off-tank the 89 trial with trusts and this went hilarious wrong because the AI can't handle it and so Thancred kills everyone.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

lines posted:

I tried to off-tank the 89 trial with trusts and this went hilarious wrong because the AI can't handle it and so Thancred kills everyone.

if you're doing it with NPCs i think it assumes you're going to main tank?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

how does it go wrong because, like, there's maybe one thing for a tank to do in the 89 trial that actually matters? (don't point the buster at the party)

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Rosalind posted:

what actually happens is while they're processing who left a person queuing trials in-progress comes in and they finish the instance.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

lines posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-PpwdfTYV0

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The whole point of the duty roulette system is to get bodies that can clear content into content for people who want to clear it. You probably shouldn't queue for a roulette that contains content you're for some reason morally against doing with pubbies cause all you're doing is making a worse experience for everyone, yourself included.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Oneiros posted:

how does it go wrong because, like, there's maybe one thing for a tank to do in the 89 trial that actually matters? (don't point the buster at the party)

He points the buster at the party.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Letting Thancred Tank: Not Even Once

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

lines posted:

He points the buster at the party.

Are they even programmed to main tank over the PC? I assumed if you queue'd in as tank they just expected you to MT.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Rosalind posted:

they really should be doing it the way the game all but tells you you should do it

literally what does this even mean

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Some people are just terrified about playing this multiplayer game with other people and think everyone else is the same.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

literally what does this even mean

It's possible to queue with NPC bots for it and canonically that's how you do it but that's also true of every leveling dungeon since ShB came out so I think they're jsut bein weird

lines
Aug 18, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Are they even programmed to main tank over the PC? I assumed if you queue'd in as tank they just expected you to MT.

Yeah this is the issue basically. I just MT'd it in the end, but I tend to like OTing the first time I do a fight normally because it's lower pressure.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

i did the 89 trial with my friends with minimum ilevel on and silenced echo

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I queued up for the 89 trial immediately, the game doesn't demand you do anything with the trust NPCs since all post fight cutscenes will play out like you did it with them anyway. It's also very story driven and impactful and cool and all but I actually didn't pick up on why it's different from any other fight in the game unless you're really devoted to emotional payoff for the Scions as characters... and the game plays out like you used them anyway! Hell just did the 6.2 dungeon, same deal. Lots of great catharsis for lil bro and Estinien, no actual obligation to use 'em.

The only real hurdle is we wiped once to attrition and then tried again with understanding of the red and green weapon swap aoes. :v:

Oh, is the 89 trial the one time they let you use the Scions for a Trial? That's a little bit of incentive but hardly a push. Hell, I assume most people use roulette for new dungeons and you get the notice that you can "enter the dungeon with Trust NPCs" after you clear it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yes that trial is the only one with npc support so far

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
The after-dungeon notice is actually the separate Trust system of leveling the "Avatars" of each character. Which doesn't reward anything except a nifty title and the ability to swap which glam the NPCs use.

Also, I always do my MSQ run of dungeons with the NPCs, because I do like having that emotional connection to the characters and seeing what they have to say about the dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

if the scions want to run dungeons with me they need to up their game. get out of that loving aoe, urianger, you've already wiped us three times! :argh: