Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Pingui posted:

Cool poo poo for potential lung repair.
"TGF-βR2 signaling coordinates pulmonary vascular repair after viral injury in mice and human tissue"

News article on the matter:

Silver lining I keep reminding myself of, there are a lot of neat medical discoveries happening parallel to and because of COVID research. Whether anyone but the rich will be able to enjoy these advances in the face of climate collapse is anyone's guess, but it's cool to read about in the meantime.

It took a globe spanning pandemic to get (most of) the medical community to finally admit that post-viral illness is a thing, but that finally happened, I think in large part because of COVID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

yep, I have fairly high confidence that there will be some decent treatments for post-viral conditions within the next two years, which is awesome

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Wife finally got got for the first time 11 days ago (that's when symptoms started, but she only tested positive the next day with a blazing red line). She called her pharmacy to order pax and they said nope, you've been vaccinated too recently (4 months ago) and wouldn't benefit. I walked in and spoke to a different pharmacist and wasn't asked about her vaccination history and he gave it to me. Okay??

Anyway, after finishing the 5 days she was still faintly positive on tests. Four days after that and congestion/runny nose/coughing/sneezing are back and worse than before, so we're each 1/1 on rebounds.

Thanks to masking and air filters I have yet to test positive but I've had symptoms on and off so I don't know what the gently caress. I got novavax a month ago so I should have optimal ~hybrid immunity~ but if I'm fighting off the viral invaders why don't I have detectable antigens? Also I tried to book a PCR test two days ago and have yet to receive a screening call, plus it says up to 7 days for results even if they agree to do it. lol. And I'm supposed to travel on Monday.

Anyway, if I've learned anything - that's debatable - now that I'm trying to sleep masked while not infected, Auras don't work well for me. The chin part lifts up too easily. I found the same trying to do sports in them, if you're gasping for air it's easy to lift them off. Blox duckbills have the opposite problem of the nosepiece being too relaxed. I've had more success with Vitacore "CAN95" bifolds with fabric headstraps. They're not NIOSH-certified (yet? other vitacore masks are) but they stay tight to my face, so I'll try them for sports when it comes to it again.

Some have mentioned preferring the fabric straps to the blue rubbery 3M ones but I'm not sure I agree, they're less likely to snap but slide off my head more easily. The rubbery stuff has some friction to it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

jetz0r posted:

the pandemic ended in 2020, lockdowns ended in 2023

Comment on the article:

quote:

<It’s only now becoming clear how little we understood what the United States experienced during that unforgettable year and how deeply it shaped us

<What he didn’t expect was that the pub would have to remain closed or restricted, on and off, for more than a year

Get out of here with the revisionist history. Lockdowns and the like including school closures happened well into 2022. CMS mandates into 2023. Masks and vax mandates are still ongoing at many places.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Thanks to masking and air filters I have yet to test positive but I've had symptoms on and off so I don't know what the gently caress. I got novavax a month ago so I should have optimal ~hybrid immunity~ but if I'm fighting off the viral invaders why don't I have detectable antigens?

People with an active adaptive immune response early in the infection are going to feel sick with very low viral loads. Antigen tests rely on the swab collecting enough protein to react with enough antigen that you can see it. Your immune system can get activated and you can feel it before that's true, particularly if the initial infection site isn't in the lower part of your nose.

quote:

Some have mentioned preferring the fabric straps to the blue rubbery 3M ones but I'm not sure I agree, they're less likely to snap but slide off my head more easily. The rubbery stuff has some friction to it.

skill issue

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Comment on the article:

quote:

Get out of here with the revisionist history. Lockdowns and the like including school closures happened well into 2022. CMS mandates into 2023. Masks and vax mandates are still ongoing at many places.

is the lockdown here in the room with us

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Platystemon posted:

Comment on the article:

Pennsylvania, but:

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
like, they didn't even cancel high school sports here in 2020. all this gaslighting is driving me insane

e:

https://www.abc27.com/timeline-of-a-year-of-covid-19-in-pennsylvania/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Oldest Man posted:

The lockdown goes to another school… in Canada.

Griz
May 21, 2001

The Oldest Man posted:

lockdown just means they weren't able to get their treats and see no distinction between nonessential businesses closing by govt order and "sorry closed today everyone is sick"

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Platystemon posted:

The lockdown goes to another school… in Canada.

I will gladly give you Covid today for a lockdown next Tuesday.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Oldest Man posted:

People with an active adaptive immune response early in the infection are going to feel sick with very low viral loads. Antigen tests rely on the swab collecting enough protein to react with enough antigen that you can see it. Your immune system can get activated and you can feel it before that's true, particularly if the initial infection site isn't in the lower part of your nose.

I've had a mild sore throat on and off and am swabbing the back of my throat and cheeks first, though.

Besides that, I found a loupe with a built-in LED and it's been handy for scoping the (lack of) test line.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
https://www.huschblackwell.com/pennsylvania-state-by-state-covid-19-guidance

quote:

June 29, 2020:

Governor Tom Wolf announced on June 29 that Lebanon County is slated to move to the green phase of reopening on July 3, putting all 67 counties in green. Twelve counties moved to green, joining 54 already in the least restrictive phase of reopening. Additionally, the majority of new cases in Allegheny County are in people age 19-49 with an average age of 27.

Governor Tom Wolf reminded all Pennsylvania residents and businesses that masks are mandatory when visiting a business. The state’s business guidance outlines mask-wearing requirements. The state’s restaurant industry guidance outlines mask-wearing requirements specific to restaurants.

Governor Tom Wolf also announced that beginning June 30 small businesses across Pennsylvania can apply for grants to offset lost revenue caused by the COVID-19 pandemic and the resulting shutdown order. The COVID-19 Relief Statewide Small Business Assistance program, announced earlier this month, will provide $225 million in grants ranging from $5,000 to $50,000 to eligible businesses through Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act funding. Beginning tomorrow, June 30, eligible businesses may begin applying for the COVID-19 Relief Statewide Small Business Assistance program here.

You could go out and sit in a restaurant in June of 2020 here. Most places didn't even bother enforcing masking rules

All of this is documented

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud has issued a correction as of 21:24 on Feb 2, 2024

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

like, they didn't even cancel high school sports here in 2020. all this gaslighting is driving me insane

e:

https://www.abc27.com/timeline-of-a-year-of-covid-19-in-pennsylvania/

What the gently caress is a coutine

Ah Jesus is it "counties" lmao

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Gunshow Poophole posted:

What the gently caress is a coutine

Ah Jesus is it "counties" lmao

i hear covid may cause brain damage

bred
Oct 24, 2008

we're each 1/1 on rebounds.

This is phase 2, the cytokine storm. Next is the coagulation phase. Take it easy for a long time to clear any clotting and let your body heal. Monitor pulse ox. Mine was in the low 90s for a week after the cytokine storm. Now it is 96-99.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Relevant news for people in (some parts of) :britain:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/02/pharmacies-in-england-and-scotland-to-offer-private-covid-jabs-for-45 posted:

Pharmacies in England and Scotland to offer private Covid jabs – for £45
Pharmadoctor is offering appointments from 1 April for vaccinations and intends to add more pharmacies to its network
(..)
Pharmadoctor – a company that provides clinical service packages to pharmacists – has announced that jabs will be available for patients aged 12 years and over – provided they pass a face-to-face consultation with a pharmacist.

At present, 27 pharmacies in England and Scotland are listed as offering appointments for the jabs and the company said it expected the figure to grow.
(..)
Pharmadoctor said the initial vaccine on offer would be the updated Novavax jab, which targets the Omicron XBB.1.5 subvariant of the Sars-CoV-2 virus.
(..)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/us-flu-markers-show-hint-second-wind posted:

US flu markers show hint of a second wind

After declining trends over the past few weeks, flu activity rose in some parts of the country, while COVID-19 and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) levels continued overall declines, according to the latest updates today from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Though flu indicators declined following the winter holidays, the CDC has said that it is watching for a second peak that sometimes occurs after the winter holidays. In its respiratory virus snapshot, the CDC said some regions are seeing rising flu indicators, especially in the Midwest and South-Central regions.

Signs of a flu comeback?
Also, the percentage of respiratory samples that were positive for flu at clinical labs rose last week to 16.2%, compared to 14.2% the previous week, the CDC said in its weekly flu update. Influenza A is still dominant, with 60.4% of subtyped samples belonging to the 2009 H1N1 subtype. There were increases in the percentages of H3N2 and influenza B detections compared to the previous week.

Outpatient visits for flulike illness held steady and have been above the national baseline since November. However, CDC surveillance shows a rise for one age-group: people ages 5 to 24 years.
(..)

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Graph of most recent 5 months' sublineages and recombinants sampled in Washington state. Everything is put together using data from GISAID and Nextclade Web v3.1.0.
Weeks with fewer than 200 sequences are considered "incomplete" and weeks with fewer than 100 sequences are considered "very incomplete."

Recent changes due to backfill:

Zantie has issued a correction as of 01:22 on Feb 10, 2024

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

You could go out and sit in a restaurant in June of 2020 here. Most places didn't even bother enforcing masking rules

Ah, yes, but could you get the kind of cheese you wanted?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I've had a mild sore throat on and off and am swabbing the back of my throat and cheeks first, though.

Besides that, I found a loupe with a built-in LED and it's been handy for scoping the (lack of) test line.

A mild sore throat can just be your lymph nodes or tonsils getting inflamed or post-nasal drip eg its an immune system response not the virus itself doing that necessarily

Either that or it's psychosomatic and you don't have covid, flip a coin

Baddog
May 12, 2001

...Auras don't work well for me. The chin part lifts up too easily.

Yep I had this when talking or doing anything active, but got these cord locks/stoppers to tighten up the bottom strap just a bit, and they work pretty well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087WMD61K

unavailable now of course, but there are a ton of similar things. I think the bottom strap on almost everything should always just be smaller than the top - because its under your chin to directly behind your neck, not cheeks to above ears. But every mask I've used the straps are the same length.

Baddog has issued a correction as of 01:47 on Feb 3, 2024

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

i've been coughing and having lumps in my throat lately with no other symptoms and thought it had to be mild mild covid but then i found out about silent heart burn and took some prisolec which cleared it right up. if you're getting older, i'm 36, it could be that causing it instead. my smoking a ton of weed didn't help but now i don't even cough with big bong rips so it was just the acid hurting my throat which the weed made worse

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i hear covid may cause brain damage

if that was true somebody would've been talking about it

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

My lymph nodes got real swollen and I ended up with 'cobblestone throat' recently because I cut my leg on a hotel shower, didn't take care of it, and then it got infected. Clean and cover all your wounds even if it doesn't draw blood. :zombie:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
This is something that continually comes up and according to the report, nominally some gains have been made to recover. Said gains are however centered around the non-poor, while the drop was heavily skewed towards the poor. Some may recall that the last time I dug into one of these reports, it turned out that poor children without internet did worst in remote learning, which could help explain why the most destitute of students made larger gains than the slightly less destitute (the report ties it to slightly more Esser money, but considering how little the difference is, this seems extremely unlikely).

A couple of things that should be noted, is that 1) the divide between rich and poor has increased and 2) the testing in both 2022 and 2023 were conducted in the spring, with the implication that 2022 was relatively shortly after the initial Omicron wave and possible during the second. The latter might help explain why some states improved more than others.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/students-regained-pandemic-era-losses-reading-math-report/story?id=106876863 posted:

Many students have still not regained pandemic-era losses in reading, math: Report
Gaps in achievement levels between high and low-income areas continue to remain.

Elementary and middle school students have only made up some of the losses in math and reading they experienced during the COVID-19 pandemic, a new report finds.

For the report, published Wednesday, a collaborative team at the Center for Education Policy Research at Harvard University and The Educational Opportunity Project at Stanford University, looked at the first year of regular testing between spring 2022 and spring 2023 for school districts in 30 states.

Overall, students managed to recover about one-third of the original loss in math and one-quarter of the loss in reading. While these gains are historic, students are still not where they should be, the researchers found.

"Both of those gains were large by historical standards, but the gains in average achievement are masking the dramatic widening in achievement that happened between 2019 and 2022, and just the failure of many of the high poverty districts to catch up," Dr. Thomas Kane, co-author of the report and faculty director of the Center for Education Policy Research, told ABC News.
(..)

The report proper (I won't be digging into it, so mostly just a few graphs):

https://educationrecoveryscorecard.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/ERS-Report-Final-1.31.pdf posted:

The First Year of Pandemic Recovery: A District-Level Analysis
(..)

(..)

(..)

(..)

(..)
Within-District Gaps
In the spring of 2023, we wrote a report exploring the school district and community factors associated with larger achievement losses (Fahle et al, 2023). We identified several district and community-level factors which seemed to play a role. For instance, higher poverty districts stayed closed longer during the 2020-21 school year and, for each week of closure, their students lost more ground than in wealthier communities. Communities with less access to broadband internet, with greater disruptions to social and economic activity (as measured by Google’s data on declines in time spent at retail, recreation establishments and grocery stores, cell phone activity in restaurants, respondents to a Facebook survey reporting going to market/pharmacy/grocery, visiting a bar/restaurant/café in the last 24 hours, seeing anyone outside one’s house or attending large events), with weaker trust in community institutions (as reflected by voter participation), and with higher COVID mortality rates all suffered larger losses in achievement. [ed. note that these are the time can be taken as ~proxies for COVID infection levels]

One striking finding was that, within school districts, White and non-poor students lost about the same amount of ground as Black, Hispanic, and economically disadvantaged students in the same districts. In other words, when a district declined in achievement, subgroups all lost about the same amount of ground. Poor students lost more ground because they were concentrated in districts which lost ground, not because they fell behind their richer peers in the same school district. We interpreted this as implying that the cause of the losses were community-level and district-level factors such as those discussed above, rather than differences in household resources, which would have varied between rich and poor students attending the same school district.

During the recovery, though, just the opposite occurred. Within the average district in the 15 states for which we have data by economic status, non-poor students showed faster recovery – roughly twice faster – than poor students. And poor and non-poor districts in the same state experienced roughly similar average recovery rates. The net result was that the nonpoor-poor achievement gap has widened in most states since 2019, but that widening was due to between-district differences in achievement declines from 2019 to 2022 and to within-district differences in achievement increases from 2022 to 2023. Overall, roughly 60-70% of the widening from 2019-2023 is due to between district differences in test score declines. We do not know the reason for this, but it is troubling.
Even as student achievement has improved rapidly since 2022, those gains have not been equally shared, even within the same school district.
(..)

Anyways, the extra money is mostly used.

quote:

As of the January 2024, school districts had $51 billion of the original $190 billion in federal relief funds remaining.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:thermidor:

https://www.kcur.org/housing-develo...ed-the-money-go posted:

Missouri landlords took COVID relief funds but left tenants high and dry: 'Where’d the money go?'
Missouri landlords were found to cash in on the State Assistance for Housing Relief program — sometimes for upwards of $1 million — even as they failed to provide tenants basic maintenance and upkeep.
(..)
Free money
The idea that a landlord could get federal funds to house tenants and then not only do nothing to improve living conditions, but also soon file to evict those tenants, may seem appalling. But it was all legal under Missouri’s administration of the SAFHR program.

As the River City Journalism Fund previously reported, four of the St. Louis area’s five biggest evictors received significant SAFHR funds from the state. Nothing in the rules barred them from kicking tenants out or even using assembly-line-style tactics to do so.

That was true even during the supposed eviction “moratorium,” which applied only to tenants who could show they were harmed directly by the COVID-19 pandemic (either too sick to work or affected by the slowing economy).
(..)

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Anyway, if I've learned anything - that's debatable - now that I'm trying to sleep masked while not infected, Auras don't work well for me. The chin part lifts up too easily.

I’ve had the same experience with auras. I can only use them in situations where I won’t be talking much, like at the movies or on a walk.

The Powecom KN95s worked well for me the couple of times that I’ve napped in them. If I ever have to sleep in a mask again, I’d probably use a Readimask and use first aid tape on the edges as a security measure.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Ah, yes, but could you get the kind of cheese you wanted?

There's so many guys that came out of this ordeal at least we got some laffs!!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Weekly Australia update: the recent wave continues to ebb

Aged care cases continue to drop nationwide. (There's obvious caveats on this but I consider it to be the best current indicator on caseloads because general testing/reporting is extremely unreliable)

Twitter link

Hospitalizations and wastewater measures continue to drop in Vic:

https://www.health.vic.gov.au/infectious-diseases/victorian-covid-19-surveillance-report

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Thoguh posted:

I noticed that too with Betadine spray. It was double price in early January so I just ordered from Northern Vitality but now it's back to being super cheap on Amazon. I'll probably stick with Northern Vitality from here on out though since it's just the web front of a pharmacy in Vancouver and there's less chance of counterfeits coming from an actual pharmacy.
Yup just found the spray back to somewhat normal prices and picked one up. So glad Covid Is Over.

Now for a my corner of the world Covid update. This week I learned:
- a former colleague was hospitalized with covid
- a coworkers spouse is on their 6th bout of covid, 'but it's not too bad' lol, lmao, as this person tells me this unmasked

Tzen has issued a correction as of 07:41 on Feb 3, 2024

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

bred posted:

This is phase 2, the cytokine storm. Next is the coagulation phase. Take it easy for a long time to clear any clotting and let your body heal. Monitor pulse ox. Mine was in the low 90s for a week after the cytokine storm. Now it is 96-99.

Hmm, when I had a rebound it was 94-95 most of the time (I think it only ever briefly dropped to 92/93 and I'm not sure if these non-medical oximeters are that trustworthy) and I still often felt breathless, enough that I just couldn't sleep with a mask on the worst two nights. I can't imagine what dropping below 90 must feel like, besides going to the hospital.

Anyway, just another reminder that Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome-COV-2 is mild.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

no new posts from bno news on this since jan 29th?https://twitter.com/BNOFeed/status/1752036388105814341covid is over

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Shiroc posted:

Bluesky Liberal Voice: Well, yes, covid was bad but these trends show that we're dramatically declined from the peak and so covid is absolutely less of a problem than ever.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Pingui posted:

I am currently watching the WHO COVID-19 live update and I think this about sums it up (live poll on participants):

Link if anyone else is interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34G7JUxOFf4
lmao

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Mola Yam posted:

lol that "nothing" is the dominant response, even among people who are tuned in to covid enough to attend a WHO briefing
obv i'm not attending WHO but am in that boat of doing 'nothing' and it loving sucks
to stay off a spreadsheet, kids no longer wear masks at school/daycare, all social events happen, all outings happen, and i'm the only one in the household that masks 100% when in public. the rest of the household wears a mask only to grocery shop or the random anonymous indoor thing
somehow someway my household still hasn't gotten got since a single bout in 2023.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/MonicaGandhi9/status/1753500944762114217

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

She thinks they should look inward and know to not do anything at all for the next one.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Just zero ability to self reflect.

She's like "*MY* audience and numbers have gotten larger, everyone else is loving up, lol"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
lmao I am blocked by Monica Gandhi on tweeter dot Com hahaha