Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
“You should prioritize what you want to do over what your kid wants”

“Okay, I want to go on a trip with my kid and have some one on one bonding time with them.”

“Wrong, idiot.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I have this weird obsession where I like to look at the person I'm talking to without turning my head 90 degrees.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Biplane posted:

Completely unhinged behavior. And the air of innocent bewilderment; "did we do something wrong by ignoring our son for 20 years?"
Infuriating.
"The worst part is that since he doesn't need us financially anymore he can cut us out his life with no drawbacks." - a quote from the world's greatest parents.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I prefer them to sit in the booth directly behind me so we can have a conversation without looking like we're together like in the spy movies.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Halloween Jack posted:

I have this weird obsession where I like to look at the person I'm talking to without turning my head 90 degrees.

That's what facetime is for

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

BrideOfUglycat posted:

Eh, people still talk about how much fun my wedding was. But that has less to do with the wedding and more to do with the company, I think.

Haha, I was gonna say there are definitely a few weddings that I’m never going to forget, but like you say it mostly boils down to the people you were with. Nothing too fancy, either; most of them were DYI affairs but just with immaculate vibes.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Defiance Industries posted:

BF realized he doesn't want to be part of the family that produced brother, wisely pulls ejection seat.

Guarantee he's seen/experienced plenty of the picky eating fiasco in the year he's been with OP & he's sick of their pandering. Can't blame him, parents needed to nip that poo poo like a decade ago.

FMguru posted:

Three-to-four multi-week "couples only" vacations, year after year, with the kid dumped at the grandparents. Plus "date nights" every weekend while your kid stayed home alone (or was dumped off at the GPs.)

It's amazing.

Them showing him vacation photos while he bawled his eyes out...goddamn that's cruel :smith:

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

AITA for using Chat GPT to tell my extended family about my wife’s pregnancy?

quote:

I’ve gotten myself into a bit of a ridiculous situation here, but I need some outside perspective.

So, I (23M) have a very complicated relationship with my family, especially on my father’s side. My parents got divorced when I was a teenager due to infidelity, and since then I’ve really distanced myself from my father. I also don’t appreciate how he and his family make a production out of every last thing. You didn’t send a birthday card to the aunt you haven’t seen in years? The entire family is messaging you on facebook berating you. They also have a tendency to make comments about my mother, which I am quick to shut down.

Anyways, my wife and I found out she was pregnant a few months ago. I am extremely excited to become a parent, but also have some major projects at work right now that have kept me busy and exhausted. I told my mom, dad, and brother in person.

This is where I might the rear end in a top hat… Obviously it was really important to me to give my wife the support she needs during her pregnancy, especially because my own father didn’t. Between that and work, accomplishing anything except taking care of my house and wife felt exhausting. I also knew if I didn’t send a personal announcement to every last relation I’d never hear the end of it. (I feel like I should note my dad’s family is HUGE. Dozens of nosey aunties.)
So, I used Chat GPT. Basically asked it “Text message for (aunt/cousin) from (nephew/cousin) announcing first pregnancy”.

Apparently I wasn’t as sneaky as I thought, because two of my aunts compared their messages and noticed they were similar. This led one of them (who is a teacher) to run it through an AI detector. The results were pretty damning, and now everyone on my dad’s side young enough to understand what I did is royally pissed off at me.

I basically told anyone who asked that I knew they would be offended if they didn’t receive a message (similar family drama occurred a few years earlier) and that I didn’t have time to message people I haven’t seen in years individually to thank them for their involvement in my life up to this point.

My wife is more amused than anything. She knows about my history with my family and probably could care less if I didn’t tell them at all. My good friend told me I just shouldn’t have messaged them at all.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Dude you shouldn't have messaged them at all. And lol at the thought that they both needed to know, AND needed the announcement to be personalized. Stupid doormat.

(I'm saying thus as a reformed, formerly abused doormat myself. Don't be a stupid doormat, kids.)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That seems like way more effort than typing "We're pregnant" and CCing all

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

haveblue posted:

That seems like way more effort than typing "We're pregnant" and CCing all

His lovely family compares their notes to see if they're identical, I think the only solution is to cut them off hard and send them nothing. "If you're going to make a scene about a basic announcement, you get none."

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Tobermory posted:

AITA for using Chat GPT to tell my extended family about my wife’s pregnancy?

two of my aunts compared their messages and noticed they were similar

yeah these definitely sound like reasonable people you want in your life OP

That being said, not wise trying to sneak chatGPT past a teacher — depending on the subject she teaches, there's no profession in the world with a better-honed sense of when things are AI-written.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Halloween Jack posted:

ears work in multiple directions!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

FMguru posted:

One of the commenters links to this similar story from two years ago, also about parents who largely ignored their kid because they were so focused on being a ~*lOvInG cOuPle*~

Did we mess up with our son? He blew up at us during dinner + UPDATE

e: Correction - the original story (and update) are from five years ago.

I was just going to post that...

Totally reminds me of the guy who went NC after college because the parents were taking 5 vacations a year leaving him home because marriage is forever, children are just until they're adults.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

My wife died, she left her trust (house) for a cult

quote:

My wife joined a cult 1.5 years ago. Last year I was away because I needed to get my green card done, and it took a really long time, finally I got it right before Christmas. In November 2023 we found out she had cancer in her internal organs, so when I arrived in her house in California, she did not even want to see me and promised to call cops if I don't go away. I am staying with a friend in Florida, because I lost my job also around November (but hopefully I will get work tomorrow, got my first interview). Basically my "crimes" against here were: not proving that I am the full member of the cult, and that I stop her from seeking the truth.

My wife's house in California is worth about 1 million dollars and according to what she told me is in a trust with the beneficiary being the cult leader. My wife also had over 200K in credit card debt and loans (no mortgage). I borrowed her money before the marriage, and continually supported her during the marriage with finances and anything else she needed.

Her sister also filed a probate case in Riverside CA court, she listed her as administrator, her nieces and son as interested parties, but my name is not included - sister has no lawyer.

My questions are:

1) How can I find out more about my wife's estate - is the house in a trust? is the trust / house already transfered to the beneficiary?

2) will I be liable for my wife's credit card debt if someone else gets all her estate benefits?

3) Should I file my own probate case and how can I do it myself? (I dont have any money for lawyer right now, although hopefully that can change soon)

But there's a twist!

quote:

OP made a post a few months ago asking “AITA for wanting to divorce my wife after I found out she had cancer?” But sure, a cult poisoned her against him.

And another!

quote:

In addition to a post about wanting to leave his wife for having cancer this guy also posted about cheating in chess

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
I don't have a problem with somebody looking up "birth announcement for extended family template" on google, or a 1973 readers digest copy of Miss Manners, but using GPT to write it feels dumber to me.

I'd make fun of a nephew who did that.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

FMguru posted:

One of the commenters links to this similar story from two years ago, also about parents who largely ignored their kid because they were so focused on being a ~*lOvInG cOuPle*~

Did we mess up with our son? He blew up at us during dinner + UPDATE

e: Correction - the original story (and update) are from five years ago.

quote:

we mostly went without him and "dumped him at our parents places" ( it's true

lol

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

John Wick of Dogs posted:

My parents anniversary is on the same day as operation overlord. You know it by a different name. D-day

My grandmother's 19th birthday party was cancelled when the Japanese bombed pearl harbor

E: she took that better than some of these OPs

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

tactlessbastard posted:

My grandmother's 19th birthday party was cancelled when the Japanese bombed pearl harbor

E: she took that better than some of these OPs

Is your grandmother from Hawaii, or was it vibes thing like an afternoon at Chuck E Cheese on 9/11 would just be super depressing?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Is your grandmother from Hawaii, or was it vibes thing like an afternoon at Chuck E Cheese on 9/11 would just be super depressing?

She was in the imperial Japanese navy, duh

Yeah, vibes

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
There's only room in history for 365 things to happen, and whoever caused the 366th was a huge jerk! (Except on leap years).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Midnight Voyager posted:

His lovely family compares their notes to see if they're identical, I think the only solution is to cut them off hard and send them nothing. "If you're going to make a scene about a basic announcement, you get none."

Well yeah but if everyone received exactly identical messages there's no deception

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I would assume that the chatbot was because each distant family member demanded a personalized address and a whole involved one-on-one interview session but as presented it doesn't really make sense, more someone workshopping a funny scenario without really thinking through how it'd work

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I would assume that the chatbot was because each distant family member demanded a personalized address and a whole involved one-on-one interview session but as presented it doesn't really make sense, more someone workshopping a funny scenario without really thinking through how it'd work

It wasn't a chatbot. OP just generated generic texts for each of their relatives and sent out to them.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah exactly, it doesn't really make any sense as written, all it can do there is the same generic announcement you would just write once and send to everyone it's not going to automatically thank your aunt Marnie for the pencil set she got you for your 14th birthday or whatever they're talking about

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 2, 2024

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

FMguru posted:

It sucks when your kids don't get it.

But how can your kids be just as important as your spouse?

jesus fuckin christ I don’t think it’s the kids who aren’t getting it. What a psycho

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
and why is it weird to receive identical messages about an announcement? I would not be surprised at all to receive the exact same announcement text wording as another relative did. Who the hell needs it to be personalized? his friend is right, he should've just never sent it bc there's no winning here, those aunties are so loving bored they're just looking for poo poo to be upset about.

I have a relative that used to get upset if they saw me announcing poo poo on FB instead of contacting them personally, because they percieved it as rude, and I'd get a call every time an FB post upset them. Just simple poo poo too, not pregnancy announcement, just like, daily poo poo and they'd call and hassle me for not calling them personally to tell them this thing. 'How do you think I feel when you're willing to tell all of Facebook, but I'm not important enough to reach out to me first?'

You can bet they're now blocked on FB and are lucky if they do hear from me, on a good day.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 2, 2024

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
My grandparents prioritized each other over my mom and uncles and they are now all low contact with them.

My grandpa would tell my mom that he would never want a Catholic doctor to deliver his child because if it was a choice between his wife and baby they would save the baby.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

yeah exactly, it doesn't really make any sense as written, all it can do there is the same generic announcement you would just write once and send to everyone it's not going to automatically thank your aunt Marnie for the pencil set she got you for your 14th birthday or whatever they're talking about

the aunts are crazy and demand announcements, and personalized announcements on top of that. op thought he was being clever and decided to play this game stupidly. he then got stupid prizes

e: fwiw i dont think the op is an rear end in a top hat. those people sound exhausting to be around and OP would be better off if he just ignored all those people. but he went about this in a very stupid way

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 2, 2024

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
he fed the drama golems prime meat and they went wild

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Space Kablooey posted:

the aunts are crazy and demand announcements, and personalized announcements on top of that. op thought he was being clever and decided to play this game stupidly. he then got stupid prizes

Yeah I understand the post dude literally the only "personalization" it can offer here is changing the name on an otherwise perfectly generic announcement, best case scenario it's going to much higher effort to achieve the same effect as an unsigned Hallmark card

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I was supposed to have my birthday at Dave and Busters the day Dave committed murder suicide with Buster

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

quote:

The worst part is that since he doesn't need us financially anymore he can cut us out his life with no drawbacks

I physically recoiled when I read this line because it is so telling

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

FMguru posted:

Here's a weird estranged parent story.

It sucks when your kids don't get it.

What a strange way to grow up. Your parents don't abuse or neglect you, but they do take every single opportunity to demonstrate that you are of secondary importance to ~*ThEiR sOuLmAtE aNd PaRtNeR*~. I'd say I hope the parents enjoy their twilight years together when their kids move away, refuse to visit, and go low contact, but would they even notice?

Also, literally nobody actually concerned has a problem with the current plan. The daughter is fine. Her husband is fine. The grandson is fine. There is zero reason to instead ditch the child, who is looking forward to a vacation with his mom, and go on a couple vacation instead because nobody who is actually involved wants this!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Women are a slot machine into which you feed money and time in order to receive sex, and your children are a slot machine into which you insert money and time in order to receive validation.

"I fell for the classic gambler's error" these terrible. parents think "By getting stuck on one machine"

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

We really need to normalize being child free

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Cloacamazing! posted:

Also, literally nobody actually concerned has a problem with the current plan. The daughter is fine. Her husband is fine. The grandson is fine. There is zero reason to instead ditch the child, who is looking forward to a vacation with his mom, and go on a couple vacation instead because nobody who is actually involved wants this!
It's so bizarre to me, because my wife and I will individually go on short vacations (like a long weekend to the beach or w/e) once every 1-2 years, because you can love someone more than life itself and still sometimes want to get the gently caress away from them for a couple days. And every time I've explained this plan to a relative or friend, every single one of them has said something like "yeah, that's a great idea, it's really healthy for a marriage."

Are there really people out there who feel like they're hurting their relationship if they're not together with their partner 24/7/365? :psyduck:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There are people who think the second you are one city away from your spouse you are gonna cheat because they could see themselves doing that

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Are there really people out there who feel like they're hurting their relationship if they're not together with their partner 24/7/365? :psyduck:

more than you think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Hughlander posted:

Totally reminds me of the guy who went NC after college because the parents were taking 5 vacations a year leaving him home because marriage is forever, children are just until they're adults.

One of the interesting ones was the horndog couple who left their son with the grandparents while they were busy swinging and attending orgies constantly as well as taking long vacations without him. Don't know how to find it but they were shocked when the son finally confronted them.