Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Remember this lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Welcome back, Parapug.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

It's also true in real life! The American military is a global force of evil.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

My position is that any game designer who thinks "quit the game" is a valid story-telling device should also be prepared to refund the purchase price of the game. Metal Gear Solid 3 excepted.

Are Nier and Undertale safe or are they double dead

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

mycot posted:

I mean, Undertale at least offered the pacifist route so you can play through it without being the baddie and where everyone gets a happy ending.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Randalor posted:

I mean, Undertale at least offered the pacifist route so you can play through it without being the baddie and where everyone gets a happy ending.

You'll be surprised how heated people got at launch over the game "forcing" them to kill everyone because there was content behind it.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

mycot posted:

You'll be surprised how heated people got at launch over the game "forcing" them to kill everyone because there was content behind it.

"If I don't explore every nook and cranny to 100% the game I have wasted my money."

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mycot posted:

mycot posted:

I think Undertale does the whole "shame the player for their bad choices" shtick better than anything else I've played specifically because you have to go out of your way to get on the bad route and once you're there most of it is a boring slog. The the whole meta-commentary of "wow you're a loving psycho who'd do anything to squeeze a little extra content out of a video game huh" actually manages to land because not only are you doing really bad things in the game, but it's probably a boring as gently caress grind outside the game as well. You're actively choosing to make everybody miserable - including yourself - because you wanna get dunked on by Sans Undertale.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

My position is that any game designer who thinks "quit the game" is a valid story-telling device should also be prepared to refund the purchase price of the game. Metal Gear Solid 3 excepted.

I think everyone should be allowed and encouraged to say 'gently caress this' and leave. If you're 40 minutes into a movie and you're uninterested, you should leave. Your only option isn't to stick it out like you're at a job you hate, you can go somewhere else and find something else you enjoy. If you're not trapped in a space with something like a subway train and some musical entertainment is just doing their thing there, you should exercise your freedom to just not deal with it if you don't want to.

Yeah it sucks that you have to pay to find out that you hate it afterwards but that's life. Did everyone perfectly divinate the degree that they'd hate Rise of Skywalker before going in and seeing it themselves?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Sardonik posted:

For the interested, I dropped my quarterly big video today on the wild dystopias of Stargate SG1 :toot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0_pVvGqPKU

Good video and was a nice trip down nostalgia lane.

If you wanted more Dystopia fodder, this video reminded me of Sliders. Another great TV sci-fi, "planet/dimension of the week" show. Though Sliders' whole thing was each new dimension was a dystopia to escape so the core group could Slide again to try and get home.

My favorite was the "All Drugs are not only legal but mandatory" world. Where taking some sci-fi equivalent to narcan was the only real "high" to chase for the underground counter culture. I should go back through that show some day.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

RareAcumen posted:

I think everyone should be allowed and encouraged to say 'gently caress this' and leave. If you're 40 minutes into a movie and you're uninterested, you should leave. Your only option isn't to stick it out like you're at a job you hate, you can go somewhere else and find something else you enjoy. If you're not trapped in a space with something like a subway train and some musical entertainment is just doing their thing there, you should exercise your freedom to just not deal with it if you don't want to.

Yeah it sucks that you have to pay to find out that you hate it afterwards but that's life. Did everyone perfectly divinate the degree that they'd hate Rise of Skywalker before going in and seeing it themselves?

There's a difference between choosing to stop consuming a piece of media because you do not like it, vs the media itself actively calling you a piece of poo poo for choosing not to stop.

That said it's funny SpecOps got so much discourse when it really didn't do anything all that special. Like the CoD games were already war crimes simulators and had wonderful scenes of stuff like the SAS brutally torturing and then extra-judiciously killing a foreign head of state, Soap and Roach shooting up a favela, No Russian, Price heroically firing off nukes, etc. All SpecOps did was actually be self-aware that the things it's genre of game asks the player to do were kinda hosed up, and that in turn it was kinda hosed up these are the kinds of things you the player consider entertaining.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

there should be an ending in Spec Ops where all the characters you've met in the game including the dead ones all get together to give Walker a surprise party and sing that they declare him the King of Limbo

this

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The Dark Souls series, Bloodborne, and Elden Ring all bake the "your options are to progress or give up" into the conceits of the game and it's fine. Maybe people get distracted by the fact that those all come with a few endings that are ambiguous levels of "well, this might be a good outcome?" to argue over eternally?

And Shadow of the Colossus is good. I don't know if it's The One True Art Game it's gotten pushed as every time it's ported or remade, but worth playing at least. Maybe it helps that the conceit there is more like "you're watching a tragic ancient myth play out" without making some commentary on the military industrial complex or modern day colonialism.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Annointed posted:

https://www.tumblr.com/pleasetiemyshoe/740992115034750976/how-i-know-lily-molestedraped-me-in-my-sleep-she?source=blog_view_login_wall

Oh, Lily Orchard Sexually abused her sister

Okay, then, it wasn't bad enough to have bad opinions. we also got sexual abuse.

holy gently caress. who could have know, oh wait she wrote pony fanfiction out and out endorcing this poo poo and saying how cool and good it was.

Bar Crow posted:

The military sent the first wave of psychos. The military sent the second wave to deal with the first wave who end up making everything worse. The third wave are not the good guys.

You can’t pretend to not be an arsonist by lighting a house on fire and then ordering it to stop burning.

i believe its. the military sends in walker to provide aid to the city, they try to leave and poo poo goes bad, he basicaly goes full martial law and leaves standing order then eats a gun, he keeps broadcasts and that radio guy running things sorta. civil war somewhere in there.
CIA comes to clean house because its bad look for america and probably some idea of "just end the horror show" they back rebels who are probably all loving workers/slaves who survieved.
military not knowing this send walker and co into check if life is there and then leave.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Whoolighams posted:

the entire Far Cry series from 2 on has been "oh did you think you were the hero you stupid gently caress? you lovely little gently caress??" there's a part in 5 where you're running through a hypnosis hallucination and it ends with an unagressive ally and when I first played I stopped shooting because I thought "ah, they were trying to trick me, the reticule is green so I'm sure I just need to let the time run out to really win the objective." nope, you have to kill him then characters get mad at you for it.

TLOU is firmly in the genre of "mid-at-best gameplay but CINEMA" which okay great you made a movie game but I'm here to play a game so hard pass. see also every Uncharted, new Tomb Raider, Horizon, God of War 2018, Jedi Fallen Order. this ain't an original criticism, I know

weird thing is with far cry 6 is you and the rebels are straight up the good guys fighting against Not batistas facist son who won on right wing populism and then turned into an even bigger dickhead. there is no twist about "hur lol he was the good guy" he is a broken piece of poo poo and the rebels while having some mixed goals are all unified.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Crain posted:

Good video and was a nice trip down nostalgia lane.

If you wanted more Dystopia fodder, this video reminded me of Sliders. Another great TV sci-fi, "planet/dimension of the week" show. Though Sliders' whole thing was each new dimension was a dystopia to escape so the core group could Slide again to try and get home.

My favorite was the "All Drugs are not only legal but mandatory" world. Where taking some sci-fi equivalent to narcan was the only real "high" to chase for the underground counter culture. I should go back through that show some day.
Thank you! And I may just have to check that out as that sounds pretty wild.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

egg tats posted:

yeah a mistake I people see make with spec ops the line pretty often is that they've only played it years after the fact and don't consider the time it came out. the modern military shooter where you need to commit warcrimes in the service of america was one of, if not the, most popular types of video games. Spec ops is just the one that looks at the player and says "hey this is all super hosed up. you should probably pause before you do a warcrime."

the other mistake is that people see criticism of the genre as criticism of themselves. I don't think spec ops ever says "you, the player, are an evil person for dropping white phosphorus on these civilians".

The third mistake is not remembering what the game actually says

quote:

LoadingScreenTips_097=The US military does not condone the killing of unarmed combatants. But this isn't real, so why should you care?

LoadingScreenTips_098=If Lugo were still alive, he would likely suffer from PTSD. So, really, he's the lucky one.

LoadingScreenTips_099=Collateral damage can be justified, if the gain outweighs the cost. How much do you think Adams and Lugo are worth?

LoadingScreenTips_100=Can you even remember why you came here?

LoadingScreenTips_101=This is all your fault.

LoadingScreenTips_102=Do you feel like a hero yet?

LoadingScreenTips_103=How many Americans have you killed today?

LoadingScreenTips_104=It's time for you to wake up.

LoadingScreenTips_105=If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

mycot posted:

Nier always sticks in my head because before I ever played it al I heard was "lol Father Nier killed everyone," like he's the unambiguous villain of the piece. It's really not that simple. The Shades are attempting to bodyjack a bunch of innocent people, their goal is explicitly evil and wrong. Based on what the other Yonah says, this is definitely not jus timmoral, it's painful and terrifying for the one possessed. So they're hardly innocent in all this.

Plus, nobody ever tries to explain anything to Father Nier. The Twins only say something when it is far, far too late, and they also leave out vital information like the sterility and inevitable death of the Replicants from that disease.

It's a case of misunderstanding, not just genocidal disregard or whatever.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Piell posted:

The US military does not condone the killing of unarmed combatants. But this isn't real, so why should you care?

I really like this one

e: also all the lines are clearly aimed at Walker, not at the player, except maybe this one? Though Walker *is* having an interesting relationship with reality at that point

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

i would be okay with being refunded for my rise of skywalker ticket, I think Disney can afford it

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Nuns with Guns posted:

The Dark Souls series, Bloodborne, and Elden Ring all bake the "your options are to progress or give up" into the conceits of the game and it's fine. Maybe people get distracted by the fact that those all come with a few endings that are ambiguous levels of "well, this might be a good outcome?" to argue over eternally?

And Shadow of the Colossus is good. I don't know if it's The One True Art Game it's gotten pushed as every time it's ported or remade, but worth playing at least. Maybe it helps that the conceit there is more like "you're watching a tragic ancient myth play out" without making some commentary on the military industrial complex or modern day colonialism.

Joke answer: nobody understands the plots to those games so it doesn't register that they're doing hosed up poo poo like killing babies and dogs because they want to unlock a door.

OFF is an indie rpg that is mostly remembered for being a Tumblr sensation I think but it actually goes for something similar. It's so surreal and random that it might take a while to realize what the main character is doing even though it's technically not hidden from the player

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

I do think that, certainly when it comes to games of that generation, Spec Ops: The Line does handle choice very well, particularly in that one moment near the end. Big spoiler obviously:

I think it's to the game's credit that even now, a lot of people don't know that there is a choice when you're confronted with the civilians who've just killed Lugo. It feels like you have no choice except to fire into them especially after the game has hammered into you that "choice" is so futile throughout the game, but for once it actually matters here. You can fire up in the air and disperse the crowd...just, y'know, the game doesn't tell you this. It is still a binary "KILL/NOT KILL" choice, but not presented in the way that Bioshock or whatever does, and that makes it feel a lot more like you've let Walker at least cling on to a bit of humanity after all that's happened.

yeah this is the part of spec ops that always sticks with me because of how subtle it is compared to the white phosphorous (and even for that scene i forgive the “forced” choice or w/e as a direct critique of the MW bombing levels)

imo the one thing spec ops hosed up was removing the ending where walker cuts their losses and leaves before he reaches the point of no return

also the multiplayer existing at all but lmao publishers

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sydin posted:

There's a difference between choosing to stop consuming a piece of media because you do not like it, vs the media itself actively calling you a piece of poo poo for choosing not to stop.

That said it's funny SpecOps got so much discourse when it really didn't do anything all that special. Like the CoD games were already war crimes simulators and had wonderful scenes of stuff like the SAS brutally torturing and then extra-judiciously killing a foreign head of state, Soap and Roach shooting up a favela, No Russian, Price heroically firing off nukes, etc. All SpecOps did was actually be self-aware that the things it's genre of game asks the player to do were kinda hosed up, and that in turn it was kinda hosed up these are the kinds of things you the player consider entertaining.

Piell posted:

The third mistake is not remembering what the game actually says

Maybe I'm engaging with media incorrectly but I have a really hard time imprinting myself onto a character that's already defined. And prefer to play games designed that way rather than let you create one. I haven't played Spec Ops but I have played Black Ops 1 and I don't feel like I'm a war criminal for having done so. Nor being a serial murder for any of the reckless destruction in Hulk: Ultimate Destruction or Saints Row 4 as I snap people in half for health pickups.

This is all just entertainment as far as I'm concerned. I don't feel like I'm ever being judged when I'm watching someone yell at my character, I more struggle to just pick the evil options in a game. That's my personal hang up.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think a lot of the time when games get meta with it they're not actually actively condeming video game players as hateful bastards for playing their video game or whatever but more hoping for you to play along with and mull over whatever their weird video game ideas are while understanding that the devs don't actually hate you for the act of giving them money.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the worst criminals depicted in spec ops the line are shown in the credits. dogshit game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the call of duty mission people say its a response to is better criticism of the us military and it was accidental

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

mycot posted:

OFF is an indie rpg that is mostly remembered for being a Tumblr sensation I think but it actually goes for something similar. It's so surreal and random that it might take a while to realize what the main character is doing even though it's technically not hidden from the player

OFF also suffers from a handful of mistranslations from the original French that confuse the main character's actions a bit.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

OFF has a better translation now, but it was pretty bad initially.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

SyntheticPolygon posted:

the devs don't actually hate you for the act of giving them money.

Except if the dev is Jonathan Blow and you are Soulja Boy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i also really never got the Undertale HEH... YOUD KILL ALL THESE PEOPLE... FOR MORE CONTENT...? thing. like yeah? its a fun boss fight. idk what you want me to do here man, sorry i liked the game

granted i also dont think the dev really meant it that way and all and its mostly just people wanting to turn a video game into a morality test. i think toby just played a bunch of indie JP games that did similar things and wanted to do them too

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I can't believe The Last Blade 2 is judging me for finishing these fights using Supers so Hibiki turns evil

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

yeah i feel like the undertale stuff conceptually works better as a nudge on the lines of “why are you, the player, doing this extremely tedious thing to squeeze out the last drops of content from this game you love” rather than any Morality level, but even that approach is kinda shooting itself in the foot by putting the two best and most challenging boss fights in the game on that route lmao

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

dmboogie posted:

yeah i feel like the undertale stuff conceptually works better as a nudge on the lines of “why are you, the player, doing this extremely tedious thing to squeeze out the last drops of content from this game you love” rather than any Morality level, but even that approach is kinda shooting itself in the foot by putting the two best and most challenging boss fights in the game on that route lmao

and the best song.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a much cooler execution of the same idea is the evil route of soul nomad where the final boss battle is against every single bad guy from the main game who have all become good because you were so evil by comparison that they kinda had to. like the guy who laughs about literally eating babies in the main game goes 'IS THIS THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP...? IT FEELS... NICE...' its amazing

and the game actually does something interesting there where the objective just reads 'defeat all enemies' like usual but it also says defeat condition: none. and if you lose the map you get an ending and credits anyway. you are the enemy cause youre so evil. and the ending you get for a loss is just you getting stuck in a soul gem thing and drifting off to sleep peacefully with the game talking about forgiveness and being born again and stuff. thats cool to me

dmboogie posted:

yeah i feel like the undertale stuff conceptually works better as a nudge on the lines of “why are you, the player, doing this extremely tedious thing to squeeze out the last drops of content from this game you love”
cause i love it? like... idk. people just wanna spend time with things they like. if they wanted to make that point it should have taken like 50000 hours and rewarded you with a thumbs up emoji or smth, not taken 3 and rewarded you with cool exclusive content.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the genocide route is a condemnation of you the player and anyone who plays it, thats why the games most iconic song that they use in all promo material for the game is exclusive to it, as well as all the games most iconic quotes. weve all played the thing youre bad for playing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

dmboogie posted:

I guess it works as it asks you how much tedious work you're willing to do to get to the 'good parts' of the game? Maybe?

Honestly I think the Nier Automata 'You can just buy the achievements with money if you don't want to actually do any of that work' shopping cart test works the best. The easy way and the normal way are both available to you, you pick how you're feeling about it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like if instead of a cool boss fight the genocide route just dumped you in an endless room with 500 generic enemies and then when you got to the end this repeated and then you had to do this 1000 times and then the game ended id buy these arguments.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Endorph posted:

i also really never got the Undertale HEH... YOUD KILL ALL THESE PEOPLE... FOR MORE CONTENT...? thing. like yeah? its a fun boss fight. idk what you want me to do here man, sorry i liked the game

granted i also dont think the dev really meant it that way and all and its mostly just people wanting to turn a video game into a morality test. i think toby just played a bunch of indie JP games that did similar things and wanted to do them too

yeah this is what Toby has basically said, that obviously doing the genocide route isn’t actually problematic it was just a great story. Which it was. thank you Mr fox

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

like if instead of a cool boss fight the genocide route just dumped you in an endless room with 500 generic enemies and then when you got to the end this repeated and then you had to do this 1000 times and then the game ended id buy these arguments.

Undertale: Smash TV Mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I played Undertale without knowing there were strongly divergent kill everything/kill nothing routes so I ended up killing only a couple of opponents (the creepy woman who kidnaps you near the start and someone near the end). It meant that a lot of the meta stuff just didn't work and I didn't even know that you were strongly encouraged to replay the game.

I mean I wouldn't have because I didn't enjoy it at all but still.