Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

BMan posted:

not saying this is definitely impossible for all time, but the physics of flying is heavily against this
how about the physics of not flying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

mystes posted:

how about the physics of not flying

the physics of just getting on a loving boat

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

rotor posted:

theres an easy solution and we all know what it is but everyone is too afraid to say it, so I will:

AIRSHIPS NUCLEAR REACTORS

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yes let me just put a steam engine in my airplane

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

rotor posted:

the physics of just getting on a loving boat

yeah but who has time for that

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if we simply all accept that things will move a little more slowly, we can all enjoy a much better environment.

so much technology is just "X, but faster" that gains early adopters a short-lived adantage until everyone adopts the new tech, then we're all back to where we were to begin with until the cycle begins again.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

rotor posted:

theres an easy solution and we all know what it is but everyone is too afraid to say it, so I will:

AIRSHIPS

brother i bring it up in yospos all the time

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

eh it's been done

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i did a back of the envelope thing a while back and if you took enough jet fuel to fully load up a 787 and burned it in an electric power plant then it would produce enough electricity to power all of new york city for several hours. the entire new york subway, every skyscraper's hvac system, all of the lighting and computers, all of it.

commercial airliners use a crapload of energy

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

i did a back of the envelope thing a while back and if you took enough jet fuel to fully load up a 787 and burned it in an electric power plant then it would produce enough electricity to power all of new york city for several hours. the entire new york subway, every skyscraper's hvac system, all of the lighting and computers, all of it.

commercial airliners use a crapload of energy

You are almost certainly totally wrong.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Spazzle posted:

bout 1200 MWh in 220,000 pounds of jet fuel . nyc is 5k-10k MWh for a day. So yeah

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TheFluff posted:

that owns

the first commercial nuclear reactor in sweden was also primarily used for district heating. they just built it inside of a mountain a few kilometers from a newly constructed stockholm suburb. it was only in operation for about 10 years, 1964-1974. i got to visit it about ten years ago, before they finally started dismantling it. it was almost entirely intact still, at that time. here's an old imgur album from that visit

thanks for sharing, those photos are cool! those old tiny nuclear plants are always interesting

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Trabisnikof posted:

thanks for sharing, those photos are cool! those old tiny nuclear plants are always interesting

100% agree hell yeah

remember when there was a bunch of hubbub about pebble bed reactors? what happened there

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jonny 290 posted:

bout 1200 MWh in 220,000 pounds of jet fuel . nyc is 5k-10k MWh for a day. So yeah

you'd be lucky to get probably 60% of it but that doesn't really impact your points

Jonny 290 posted:

100% agree hell yeah

remember when there was a bunch of hubbub about pebble bed reactors? what happened there

one in china started commercial op in december

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

I'm seeing that NYC uses 5500MW (not MWh) on average. 1200MWh is about 20 minutes at that rate, and any power plant is going to be I dunno, 50% efficient, so maybe 10 minutes of actual power?

Edit: Stop confusing power and energy.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Spazzle posted:

Yeah actually maybe that's an over-estimate. Jet-A's energy density is close to 12 kWh/kg, but that's thermal, by the time it gets converted to electricity you're looking at 5 kWh/kg at the absolute most.

A 787-9 can hold about 100 tons of fuel, so you're looking at 1.2 GWh thermal or 0.5 GWh electrical. NYC's power demand is somewhere between 1 and 10 gigawatts, I think? so yeah maybe you'd get 30 minutes.

The figure I'm least sure about is NYC's power consumption, all of the official figures for that are in idiotic tera-BTU per year units.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Spazzle posted:

One of my all-time pet peeves. Journalists are especially terrible about it

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

rotor posted:

if we simply all accept that things will move a little more slowly, we can all enjoy a much better environment.

so much technology is just "X, but faster" that gains early adopters a short-lived adantage until everyone adopts the new tech, then we're all back to where we were to begin with until the cycle begins again.

yeah

i'm big on slowing everything down, not needing all these 9s of uptime, shorter work weeks, etc, but lol, lmao @ that happening

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

my beef is that a lot of it is needless. In the end its just a no-op except for the fact that we spend more energy to stay in place.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jonny 290 posted:

the pebbles crack and shift around and shed intensely radioactive dust and cant be monitored or controlled

the prototype in germany:

quote:

It was decommissioned on December 1, 1988... During removal of the fuel elements it became apparent that the neutron reflector under the pebble-bed core had cracked during operation. Some hundred fuel elements remained stuck in the crack. During this examination it was revealed that the AVR was the world's most heavily beta-contaminated (strontium-90) nuclear installation and that this contamination was present as dust (the worst form).[17]

Localized fuel temperature instabilities resulted in heavy vessel contamination by Cs-137 and Sr-90. The reactor vessel was filled with light concrete in order to fix the radioactive dust and in 2012 the reactor vessel of 2,100 metric tons (2,100 long tons; 2,300 short tons) was to be moved to intermediate storage until a permanent solution is devised.
it was such a contaminated mess that the best solution they could come up with was "fill it with concrete and then leave it cool off in the woods for a couple of decades until someone figures out how to deal with it

germany built an actual production unit, which also failed in hilarious ways. the wikipedia article on it is p lol, heres a typical sentence: "Pebble debris and graphite dust blocked some of the coolant channels in the bottom reflector, as was discovered during fuel removal after final shut-down. A failure of insulation required frequent reactor shut-downs for inspection, because the insulation could not be repaired"

the fuel would literally crumble and clog up the coolant channels

china just built one, maybe theyve got a design that fixes or avoid these problems. i hope so but i reserve the right to be skeptical

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
molten salt thorium reactors are the good ones

mystes
May 31, 2006

I prefer to use diamond salt in my thorium reactors

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
“a little more slowly”

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Spazzle posted:

I'm seeing that NYC uses 5500MW (not MWh) on average. 1200MWh is about 20 minutes at that rate, and any power plant is going to be I dunno, 50% efficient, so maybe 10 minutes of actual power?

Ah, my bad! Thank you so much for correcting me - I appreciate it.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

rotor posted:

yeah pretty much. like we just have to start accepting that an overseas trip is going to take a long-rear end time and whoever goes will be pretty useless during it.

traveling to the store will take a while because you gotta walk/bike there.

getting a package delivered will take a while because there will be fewer, bigger trucks.

etc.

i guess the exception is digital stuff, often faster digital things can be more efficient. less crazy graphics wars though, we just get ps1 graphics that’s it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the thing that entrains everybody to speed is security, which is always zero sum and always has the red queens race nature built into it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
for sure

mystes
May 31, 2006

as they say, peeps who would entrain speed for security deserve neither

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

haveblue posted:

what's the problem, we've got more than enough hogs

feels like there's a lot more cops than that

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

i'm the million tons of bacon that europe was apparently using to run power plants in 2006 for some loving reason
Just imagine the swine flue

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Radia posted:

feels like there's a lot more cops than that

Missouri was completely filled with cops and now BLM is chasing them out of the state in those migrant patterns you see. Since cops hate migrants they’re quite confused.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

work just handed me a magic leap devkit and said "see if you can make some sort of demo using this." oh my god this is such a garbage piece of technology. why yes, for my AR headset i would like a 45 degree field of vision. this is what i want.

mystes
May 31, 2006

aardvaard posted:

work just handed me a magic leap devkit and said "see if you can make some sort of demo using this." oh my god this is such a garbage piece of technology. why yes, for my AR headset i would like a 45 degree field of vision. this is what i want.
Magic leap in 2024??? Lol

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
magic leap aka the theranos of ar

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

magic leap 2 came out in 2022. apparently they're still going, i was surprised too

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Elder Postsman posted:

yeah

i'm big on slowing everything down, not needing all these 9s of uptime, shorter work weeks, etc, but lol, lmao @ that happening

I have had to explain to actual adults, multiple times, that their new server taking 120 seconds to launch did not warrant paging me on the weekend.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

mystes posted:

Just imagine the swine flue

:laugh:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

rotor posted:

yes let me just put a steam engine in my airplane

that's not how nuclear aircraft work

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FMguru posted:

the pebbles crack and shift around and shed intensely radioactive dust and cant be monitored or controlled

the prototype in germany:

it was such a contaminated mess that the best solution they could come up with was "fill it with concrete and then leave it cool off in the woods for a couple of decades until someone figures out how to deal with it

germany built an actual production unit, which also failed in hilarious ways. the wikipedia article on it is p lol, heres a typical sentence: "Pebble debris and graphite dust blocked some of the coolant channels in the bottom reflector, as was discovered during fuel removal after final shut-down. A failure of insulation required frequent reactor shut-downs for inspection, because the insulation could not be repaired"

the fuel would literally crumble and clog up the coolant channels

china just built one, maybe theyve got a design that fixes or avoid these problems. i hope so but i reserve the right to be skeptical

i read a fun study about pebble bed reactors that basically estimated what would happen if air got into the thing, since everyone always focuses on how they're ~not able to melt down~ but that's only one possible horrible failure mode

the study concluded that if you had a breach that let air into the reactor, all the incredibly hot graphite moderator cladding of the pebbles would immediately burst into flames, the expanding gasses would gently caress attempts to contain it up, and you'd wind up with another chernobyl without it even needing to melt down or anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Shame Boy posted:

i read a fun study about pebble bed reactors that basically estimated what would happen if air got into the thing, since everyone always focuses on how they're ~not able to melt down~ but that's only one possible horrible failure mode

the study concluded that if you had a breach that let air into the reactor, all the incredibly hot graphite moderator cladding of the pebbles would immediately burst into flames, the expanding gasses would gently caress attempts to contain it up, and you'd wind up with another chernobyl without it even needing to melt down or anything
yeah theres a reason im so deeply deeply skeptical about new nuclear technology

the nuscale small modular reactor project also just drove itself off a cliff