Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019

Elissimpark posted:

Apparently it's the sequel, Dracula II: the Ascension, that has it. Can't find a clip though, because it sounds awesome/poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
What if a vampire is numerically dyslexic?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Crespolini posted:

It was basically the complete opposite. When the priest starts to trust in the cross itself, rather than in God, the cross stops working.

Ah you're right, I was confusing my vampire King mythos with other ones. Doesn't he even say something like without faith in God, wine is just sour grapes?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The 90s TV show 'Ultraviolet' handles vampire weaknesses in a fun way. The weakness to Christianity in general - and Catholic symbolism in particular - is definitely real, and not just based on the faith of either the wielder or the vampire. You see vampires affected badly by the presence of a Catholic priest who doesn't generally dress as one, for example. But the not-quite-police unit that deals with vampires keeps that quiet and avoids talking about it too much because none of them want to accidentally start a theocracy.

Well worth watching, especially if you like Idris Elba.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
^^ Idris Elba before he was a big name, but you could tell he was going to go right to the top.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

One of my favorite vampire moments where they gotta count.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsZjYCW8VF4

God, that was an amazing episode of the X-Files. Just all round classic.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 15:15 on Jan 28, 2024

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

HopperUK posted:

The 90s TV show 'Ultraviolet' handles vampire weaknesses in a fun way. The weakness to Christianity in general - and Catholic symbolism in particular - is definitely real, and not just based on the faith of either the wielder or the vampire. You see vampires affected badly by the presence of a Catholic priest who doesn't generally dress as one, for example. But the not-quite-police unit that deals with vampires keeps that quiet and avoids talking about it too much because none of them want to accidentally start a theocracy.

Well worth watching, especially if you like Idris Elba.

I maintain that one of the best tense moments in genre fiction is Idris locked in that warehouse with the timers counting down on those vampire coffins.

Fil5000 has a new favorite as of 16:04 on Jan 28, 2024

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Fil5000 posted:

I maintain that one of the best tense moments in genre fiction is Idris locked in thst warehouse with the timers counting down on those vampire coffins.

Yeeeesss it's so good! I'm gonna watch that show again.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Hell yes. That whole scene was great. You were so sure he was hosed.

No, 'well I suppose he can fight one or two of them off'. No, even one would have just torn him apart without even trying.

The scene was amazing for how hopeless and desperate it felt.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Watching The Dark Knight and at the scene when Joker crashes Dent's party. Batman shows up, joker lets go of Rachel near the window, Batman jumps after her.

Did… the Joker just stop looking for Dent after Batman & Rachel left? If he spent another 10 minutes or so he probably would've seen the closet with the broom handle through the handles.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

OwlFancier posted:

If vampires were vulnerable to running water it would present problems in modern environments because of plumbing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3q_9NsxIeQ

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Elissimpark posted:

Apparently it's the sequel, Dracula II: the Ascension, that has it. Can't find a clip though, because it sounds awesome/poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-9eDJ4maak

I went ahead and put the scene on Youtube. They also make him untie knots for all the good that it does.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Android Apocalypse posted:

Watching The Dark Knight and at the scene when Joker crashes Dent's party. Batman shows up, joker lets go of Rachel near the window, Batman jumps after her.

Did… the Joker just stop looking for Dent after Batman & Rachel left? If he spent another 10 minutes or so he probably would've seen the closet with the broom handle through the handles.
I guess the excuse is that he says later on he thought Batman was Dent because he jumped out the window after her but yeah, those films are written like poo poo :v:

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Cowslips Warren posted:

Ah you're right, I was confusing my vampire King mythos with other ones. Doesn't he even say something like without faith in God, wine is just sour grapes?

And the bread is only baked wheat, and so on. He anyway gets to do some good gloating about how Callahan is an absolute failure of a priest.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

I maintain that one of the best tense moments in genre fiction is Idris locked in that warehouse with the timers counting down on those vampire coffins.

In that scene I though that figuring out how to weaponize an exploding vampire on contact with the sun was pretty clever and also hilarious.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Poldarn posted:

In that scene I though that figuring out how to weaponize an exploding vampire on contact with the sun was pretty clever and also hilarious.

It definitely feels like a show where they worked out the rules in advance and then stuff like that came out as a consequence. I remember it being pretty consistent with how all the vampire lore interacted and why the vampire hunting agency worked the way it did and the gear they had.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Android Apocalypse posted:

I mean, yeah? Batman wasn’t falling for like an hour. Batman is going to be back there in 5-10 min and he knows he’ll lose at that point unless his plan is to just throw everyone out of windows. Joker knows he’s not a fighter, so he gets out ASAP.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Crespolini posted:

And the bread is only baked wheat, and so on. He anyway gets to do some good gloating about how Callahan is an absolute failure of a priest.

I know he appeared again in one of the Dark Tower books, and wasn't there some comparison of vampirism to HIV/AIDS?

One thing that bugged me about Salem's Lot is that the heroes say that vampires can't feel love, but there's two times when newly turned or woken vamps ask for their loved ones: the town drunk and the boarding house widow, and Danny's mom waking on the gurney: the first thing she does is call out and go to look for him. gently caress, it might be lust, but even the affair partner came back to his lover's house to rescue her/get revenge on her husband.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Salems Lot vampires are basically just undead vermin. They exist only to be parasites on the living.

Except for the head vampire who is a proper Dracula.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

I'd guess that's where the word "avarice" comes from.

This was back a bit, but sorry, "avarice", which means "greed", is unrelated to the story of Avaricum, and the similarity is apparently a coincidence. "Avarice" does trace back to Latin, though!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Black Stones posted:

I mean, yeah? Batman wasn’t falling for like an hour. Batman is going to be back there in 5-10 min and he knows he’ll lose at that point unless his plan is to just throw everyone out of windows. Joker knows he’s not a fighter, so he gets out ASAP.

The Joker is like a dog and just kind of does things arbitrarily.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I know he appeared again in one of the Dark Tower books, and wasn't there some comparison of vampirism to HIV/AIDS?

One thing that bugged me about Salem's Lot is that the heroes say that vampires can't feel love, but there's two times when newly turned or woken vamps ask for their loved ones: the town drunk and the boarding house widow, and Danny's mom waking on the gurney: the first thing she does is call out and go to look for him. gently caress, it might be lust, but even the affair partner came back to his lover's house to rescue her/get revenge on her husband.

A lot of vampire lore has undead be more pale reflections of who they used to be- they seek out their former loved ones and people they knew, but might not be able to stop themselves from eating them if they find them. It's also not uncommon to have more senior vampires have more self-control and defined personalities while lesser ones are basically animals. See Dracula again, with the implication the Brides are almost animalistic while Dracula himself is by comparison a paragon of self-control and long-term planning.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
The Creator: The dude is there to look for his wife. They go in and just shoot every single person in a lab coat. Then he looks at a screen and sees a picture of her, also wearing a lab coat. He makes the connection: she's here! but at no point checks to see if anyone they just murdered might be her or, you know, any kind of reflection on what they just did :confused:

Also The Creator: Man they sure yadda yadda yadda escaping from an army to easily getting on a shuttle at the airport.

And at the end, WHY are all these people running TOWARD the debris falling from space?! So many of you are going to die!

And finally: Can we please retrie Clair de Lune ffs

credburn has a new favorite as of 08:44 on Jan 30, 2024

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'd also like to take this time to mention there is a hilarious segment on one of the VHS movies where a bunch of maga yokels kidnap a vampire because their blood explodes in sunlight, so they want to do the usual domestic terrorism except with an "untraceable" bomb equivalent, except things do not go well, and all I'll add to that is there are a lot more explosions than you'd expect.

Definitely worth a watch.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Joker is like a dog and just kind of does things arbitrarily.

Yeah, nah. Joker tells Harvey a whole bunch of horse poo poo about how he is chaos personified and doesn't really know what he's doing, in the midst of a whole bunch of extremely complicated heists, each of which requires multi-stage in depth planning to accomplish. He is absolutely full of it and the notion of him being chaotic or of taking a arbitrary approach is a deliberate facade.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Breetai posted:

Yeah, nah. Joker tells Harvey a whole bunch of horse poo poo about how he is chaos personified and doesn't really know what he's doing, in the midst of a whole bunch of extremely complicated heists, each of which requires multi-stage in depth planning to accomplish. He is absolutely full of it and the notion of him being chaotic or of taking a arbitrary approach is a deliberate facade.

I know, it's just a joke I can't resist.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Mr. Belpit posted:

This was back a bit, but sorry, "avarice", which means "greed", is unrelated to the story of Avaricum, and the similarity is apparently a coincidence. "Avarice" does trace back to Latin, though!
Tracing the etymology back, "avarice" could easily come from the same root that "I'll have that" does but there's no way to prove it.

"Avarice" comes from the Latin aveo ("to desire, wish/long for, crave") from the Proto-Indo-European h₂ew (i do not know how to pronounce this, "to enjoy/consume")

The English word "have" comes from Germanic roots like haben" ("to have", surprisingly) from the PIE *kap- (i also don't know how to pronounce this, "to grasp") which is also where we get words like "capture" from Romance languages.

Anyway there's probably a shared root somewhere thousands of years ago but there isn't enough written evidence to say for certain. Also apparently that PIE root of aveo could also mean "to be alert, to be happy", which is a cool basis for the name of a town even if it didn't work out in the end.

Note: I am not a linguist, this is just from spree-browsing some etymology.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I can imagine one of the gauls saying, while running for their lives: "You know, it's ironic that romans would massacre and burn down our town when you consider the PIE root of the name of the town."

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Alhazred posted:

I can imagine one of the gauls saying, while running for their lives: "You know, it's ironic that romans would massacre and burn down our town when you consider the PIE root of the name of the town."

"By Toutatis, Pendantix, this is not the time."

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
The loving telephones you use to talk to inmates during visitation serve a singular purpose: to record every single word exchanged between you two

This is a REALLY SIMPLE THING

Why does every movie not get it? It's not a SAFETY thing. In fact, in MOST jails and prisons, you DON'T have to talk through a telephone.

BUT IF YOU DO IT IS 100% RECORDED and if you say something like this you WILL BE ARRESTED

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

credburn posted:

BUT IF YOU DO IT IS 100% RECORDED and if you say something like this you WILL BE ARRESTED

Unless the guards are sufficiently in your pocket.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Lone Badger posted:

Unless the guards are sufficiently in your pocket.

In which case you don't leave a recorded message of you talking to an inmate about offing the prisoner, you talk to the guards.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

credburn posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing someone play around with this.

"My employer wants someone in this jail murdered"
"Oh, and you want me to..."
"Tell him that the boss is still pissed off at him and to keep his rear end in jail, yes. Fucker still owes me $500."

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

credburn posted:

The Creator: The dude is there to look for his wife. They go in and just shoot every single person in a lab coat. Then he looks at a screen and sees a picture of her, also wearing a lab coat. He makes the connection: she's here! but at no point checks to see if anyone they just murdered might be her or, you know, any kind of reflection on what they just did :confused:

Also The Creator: Man they sure yadda yadda yadda escaping from an army to easily getting on a shuttle at the airport.

And at the end, WHY are all these people running TOWARD the debris falling from space?! So many of you are going to die!

And finally: Can we please retrie Clair de Lune ffs

The Creator of Groans

- Nighttime special forces raid and the soldiers all have body mounted flashlights turned on
- that one US soldier leaves ridiculous tank to retrieve objective in the middle of a bridge. Good guys have rifles and multiple fortified positions but they can’t stop him while lone soldier holds them off with a pistol
- grenades with a display showing the countdown (did they beep as well?)
- remote bombs made up of lights
- how low can space station go?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Currently rewatching Predator to commemorate Carl Weathers' passing, and it reminds that I first saw Predator when I was way too young and how I thought the dead scorpion had some kind of significance to the Predator and maybe it just wanted to avenge its dead scorpion buddy.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

Grendels Dad posted:

Currently rewatching Predator to commemorate Carl Weathers' passing, and it reminds that I first saw Predator when I was way too young and how I thought the dead scorpion had some kind of significance to the Predator and maybe it just wanted to avenge its dead scorpion buddy.

thats a fun read.

normally a scorpion symbolizes danger, but in this case the danger is a bunch of psychos who come and kill everyone, including the scorpion

a lone warrior must stop them,

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Grendels Dad posted:

Not the meme thread for once.

:smith:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Admiralty Flag posted:

Not the meme thread for once.

:smith:

It's just a scorpion, it's probably been dead for like 30 years.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

the holy poopacy posted:

It's just a scorpion, it's probably been dead for like 30 years.

:rip:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

We’ve suffered a tremendous loss today

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Planes: What is a 'dog' in the everything in Animalia is a vehicle world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Foyle's War episode Broken Souls: why is the "murder" considered a murder? The victim is a German soldier in uniform running around the British countryside during World War II. Yes, he's a POW, but he's an escaped one, and certainly not a captive anymore when he's killed running around the forest unsupervised alone at midnight. And there's never any question of "What if he was murdered by the POW camp guards and they just made it look like he escaped?" or anything like that; he really did escape and nobody ever believes otherwise. But the characters and the narrative all treat this as a murder. Not sure how they imagine they'll ever find a jury willing to convict.