Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Professor Shark posted:

Can I get a Predator gif? You know the one

Probably not the one you meant but I love so much how these are at the start of the credits like it's a loving 80's comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Grendels Dad posted:

Probably not the one you meant but I love so much how these are at the start of the credits like it's a loving 80's comedy.

Weren't those at the end of the movie? Or maybe that was a TV cut.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Yeah sorry they were at the start of the ending credits.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

It's even funnier at the end after you've seen all of them get brutally murdered.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Flying Zamboni posted:

It's even funnier at the end after you've seen all of them get brutally murdered.

Lol I loving know right

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Grendels Dad posted:

I mean... doesn't it kind of play out like a action movie satire in the beginning? Everyone's making dumb quips meant for laughs. The captors kind of die in goofy ways. You're set up for it to be like a Commando-esque movie, where the good guys just power through everything like they're invincible, grab the girl and save the day.

It only gets serious and turns the typical action movie tropes on their head once the squad starts getting killed off, one by one, by something that they're basically powerless to stop despite being presented as the elite.

I'm guessing the OP wanted this gif.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah, it comes up every time with Predator the fun is that it's set up like an Arnie action movie where absurd beefy men mow down nameless hordes with massive guns and save the day, and then suddenly they get treated like idiot teenagers in a horror movie getting picked off one by one, and Arnie is the Final Girl who has to turn the tables.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

DarkSol posted:

I mean... doesn't it kind of play out like a action movie satire in the beginning? Everyone's making dumb quips meant for laughs. The captors kind of die in goofy ways. You're set up for it to be like a Commando-esque movie, where the good guys just power through everything like they're invincible, grab the girl and save the day.

It only gets serious and turns the typical action movie tropes on their head once the squad starts getting killed off, one by one, by something that they're basically powerless to stop despite being presented as the elite.

I'm guessing the OP wanted this gif.

One too many arms 🥴

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He’s really funny as Chubbs Peterson, the guy who coaches Adam Sandler in Happy Gilmore

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

He’s really funny as Chubbs Peterson, the guy who coaches Adam Sandler in Happy Gilmore

Speaking of which...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=lkjXcRLNZHQ&ab_channel=SeanHillery

Also, I just came across Stallone's tribute and I don't think I've seen him so close to tears. Also, the LeRoy Neiman painting of both him and Weathers in Rocky wow.
https://x.com/WhatTheForkLads/status/1753569664355946548?s=20

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 3, 2024

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Carl Weathers, passed away at 76.

Man, 76 is way too young. I take some solace in his manager saying he died peacefully in his sleep.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I know it's been lost in the news of Carl Weathers passing, but Argylle came out and, curious, I went to Wikipedia to look if the "the cat is a minor god" secret was true and it isn't and it's far more disappointing than that.

The reality in the film is Bryce Dallas Howard is basically Jason Borne and she's really "Argylle" and her stories aren't really predictions but her spy career before she got amnesia by the big bad guys of the film, who convinced her she's a spy author so they can delve her mind for secrets using her "mother" as a handler.

Also, they tease a sequel and Kingsman connection with the young Argylle, who is fictional entity in this movie, going to the Kingsman Arms and the title "Argylle: The First Book"

Edit: Might as well add this...
https://x.com/Variety/status/1753994789761196438?s=20

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 4, 2024

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DarkSol posted:

Listening to John McTiernan's commentary it certainly seems that way. For example, the one time where everyone starts to firing all their guns and accomplish nothing.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Since we are talking about Predator I'm going to repost my interpretation of the film. I think I posted a version of this in an old genchat thread 2-3 years ago?

me posted:

First off,  I think the Predator in the movie is a girl, or at least female-coded.  My evidence:

-Long Hair
-Long Fingernails
-Lots of Accessories (cute lil skull and bone charm bracelets/belts/necklaces, clearly goth)
-Carries a Purse (specifically a clutch bag)
-Wears Fishnets
-Explicit plot point that it bleeds (the men in contrast "ain't got time to bleed")
-Has what can reasonably be described as an "Assault Vulva" for a mouth

The indigenous lady in the film calls the creature "the demon that makes trophies of men".

With this context, I argue that the film is an allegory for a sexually aggressive woman working her way through a cadre of macho dude-bros. She takes what she wants from them, but ultimately finds each inadequate. They are a notch on the bedpost, a trophy on her wall, then she moves on. The modern term for this is "fuccboi"

A bit of visual evidence:

After watching the boys assault the camp, where they ambush and gleefully brutalize a group of smaller, less well equipped men, we see through the predators eyes. She's clearly also been watching. She picks up the scorpion, which, outlined against her hand, appears as a model of the female reproductive system. While we watch, it goes cold.

She is not impressed.

(I would put a picture in here, but I am not good at computer.)

Why are they fuccbois? (in order of death)

Hawkins: Hawkins tells nasty jokes that are also stealth complaints about his girlfriend's supposedly oversized genitals.  Hawkins has a small dick, and he's mad at women about it.

Blain: Blain is a homophobe who requires chemical assistance in order to be a "Sexual Tyrannosaurus".

Mac: Mac is a narcissist that is always preening, constantly concerned with his own smooth, pretty face. Also obsessed with Blain in a sus kinda way.

Dillon: Dillon is a liar.  He lies to everyone, he starts the whole operation on false pretenses.

Poncho: Poncho takes himself out of the game with his own log (blatant phallic imagery).  I'm not sure if this is supposed to indicate he's gay, or if he has some kind of sexual dysfunction.

Billy:  Billy is straight up scared of girls.  see this exchange:

Billy: "I'm scared Colonel"

Dutch: "Bullshit! You ain't afraid of no man!"

Billy: "There's something out there waiting for us, and it ain't no man".

cough cough (it's a woman) cough cough

The only one who proves worthy is Dutch, and he only proves worthy once he loses the expensive flashy toys, gets down in the dirt, and plays the game on the predator's terms, as an equal.

In the end, how does Dutch eventually prevail against the predator?

1st: B.D.E.  He smashes her with a frankly tremendous log.

2nd: Honest, Open Communication:  He asks "What the gently caress are you" and she asks the same.

3rd: He makes her laugh.

From the predator's perspective, the movie is reminiscent of  "How Stella Got Her Groove Back" if Stella was 7 feet tall and had a plasma cannon. 

Its my 2nd favorite movie, and Carl Weathers is a huge part of why it works. :(

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Young Freud posted:

I know it's been lost in the news of Carl Weathers passing, but Argylle came out and, curious, I went to Wikipedia to look if the "the cat is a minor god" secret was true and it isn't and it's far more disappointing than that.

The reality in the film is Bryce Dallas Howard is basically Jason Borne and she's really "Argylle" and her stories aren't really predictions but her spy career before she got amnesia by the big bad guys of the film, who convinced her she's a spy author so they can delve her mind for secrets using her "mother" as a handler.

Also, they tease a sequel and Kingsman connection with the young Argylle, who is fictional entity in this movie, going to the Kingsman Arms and the title "Argylle: The First Book"

I spoiled it for myself too see if the twist was fun stupid, or just regular stupid and it's pretty disappointing they went with regular stupid. I might have watched it if they went with something really of the wall. I think I'm pretty confused by Matthew Vaughn as a filmmaker, because he just seems to be getting worse over time.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Since we are talking about Predator I'm going to repost my interpretation of the film. I think I posted a version of this in an old genchat thread 2-3 years ago?

Its my 2nd favorite movie, and Carl Weathers is a huge part of why it works. :(

this reading loving rules. It's more or less how I've always seen it but you put it much better.

Adding to this, each of the team dies in a way that would break the rules of an action movie, but fits perfectly in a horror movie. The genre they're at home in, that they belong in, doesn't account for something like the predator.

Hawkins in the smallest, weakest guy. In an action movie, he'd totally get a moment to rise to the occasion, to prove to the audience and himself that he belongs in the team. Instead he dies first. He's also the most overtly horny. And the horny teenage always dies first.

Blain has the coolest gun, is played by a pro wrestler, has several of the best lines is sniped as he begins to try and avenge Hawkins. Their deaths are exactly the wrong way around.

Mac is going to avenge his friend (JUST FRIENDS! JUST FRIENDS) and is outsmarted while doing so.

Dillon is looking for redemption and dies in a deeply humilating way.

Billy is the most overt rules break (of an action movie) he throws aside his high tech weapons and prepares to take it on blade to blade. He doesn't even get to die on screen. He just gives out a horrified scream and we next see his naked body being butchered.

Poncho has been wounded and is trying to escape. He's headshotted basically as an afterthought.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Young Freud posted:

... so this is not a backdoor way to get Caville into Kisman movies? are they really this stupid ?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I love those takes. Funny thing is there's also a sensible logic to it, from the Predator's perspective. Hawkins is the smallest and weakest, but he's also the radio man, and taking him out severs their lines of communication- the rest can't call for evac or reinforcements, so the Predator can dispatch them at its leisure. Blain has the most powerful weapon and presents the biggest obvious threat, Old Painless used judiciously basically perforates the jungle and all. The Predator wants to toy with them, but isn't invulnerable to their weapons or able to effortlessly shut down their resources- it's hints that they're up against a foe that has vast technological superiority, but isn't infallible nor invincible, and is making decisions and acting in ways that make sense by human logic.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

If you love 30-50 Feral Hogs you will love a movie about a bunch of feral hogs called Feral which is completely unrelated

quote:

Killer hogs will be unleashed in the upcoming survival horror movie Feral, coming soon from Australian director Jesse O’Brien (Two Heads Creek) and currently in pre-production.

Caitlin Stasey and Dougray Scott star in the upcoming creature feature.

In Feral…

“Stranded on a remote highway, a father and his estranged daughter struggle to survive against a pack of merciless feral hogs that begin hunting them in the middle of a state-wide dust storm.”

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3798580/feral-caitlin-stasey-starring-in-australian-horror-movie-about-wild-hogs-in-a-dust-storm/

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
why wait for Disney IP's to go public domain when you can use memes immediately for free

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

why wait for Disney IP's to go public domain when you can use memes immediately for free

I'm honestly surprised this doesn't happen more often. Like, I'm kind of surprised that we didn't get a romcom inspired by the meme of the guy turning away from his girlfriend to look at the passing woman.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Tars Tarkas posted:

If you love 30-50 Feral Hogs you will love a movie about a bunch of feral hogs called Feral which is completely unrelated

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3798580/feral-caitlin-stasey-starring-in-australian-horror-movie-about-wild-hogs-in-a-dust-storm/

Australia has a proud tradition of killer animals and killer animal movies. Including "Razorback" about a killer hog!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

joylessdivision posted:

Australia has a proud tradition of killer animals and killer animal movies. Including "Razorback" about a killer hog!
sir

those are documentaries

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

I heard a suggestion about making a sequel to Cocaine Bear called Cocaine Hippos. It would follow Pablo Escobar's so-called "Cocaine Hippos" as they rampage across Columbia in the style of Night of the Lepus and other "eco-horror" movies. And unlike rabbits hippos can get quite nasty and take some decent firepower to down.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Would the cocaine hippos also be on cocaine?

Hippo's have pretty big nostrils.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Cocaine Hippo$

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Finally, the sequel to Bioshock Infinite that fans have been demanding

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

muscles like this! posted:

So despite saying that he was out Jim Carrey has been confirmed to be returning for Sonic 3. I'm sure they were able to bring a big enough dump truck of money to his house.

The Bart Simpson “I didn’t do it” classroom scene, except it’s Jim Carrey flossing as Robotnik.

Alhazred posted:

Listening to John McTiernan's commentary it certainly seems that way. For example, the one time where everyone starts to firing all their guns and accomplish nothing.

You also get a taste of this in Die Hard, when the “stupid macho rear end in a top hat” cops try to storm the building and just get obliterated because they’re running by a playbook Hans Gruber’s accounted for.

Chairman Capone posted:

I'm honestly surprised this doesn't happen more often. Like, I'm kind of surprised that we didn't get a romcom inspired by the meme of the guy turning away from his girlfriend to look at the passing woman.

It takes so long to get movies made that by the time it’s finished, no one remembers the meme. Zola (2021) was based on a 2015 Twitter thread, and during those inbetween years people stopped making those kinds of threads because everyone realized they were all bullshit. The internet moves too fast for Hollywood to capitalize on.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

dr_rat posted:

Would the cocaine hippos also be on cocaine?

Hippo's have pretty big nostrils.

I'm picturing something like a horse's feedbag but cannisters of cocaine under their nostrils

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ironically cause of constipation, the yeyo-ed up hippos spin their tails to no effect

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I just finished watching Prey for the first time tonight, now that Hulu is on Disney+. Good poo poo, best Predator movie since the original imo.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Prey really is astoundingly good, both when viewed in the context of the Predator franchise and as a sequel to a popular property made in 2023.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I may just be the only person on Earth who prefers Shane Black's The Predator to it

It had strong fan-film stretched to feature length energy, it never transcended it's premise for me.

Whereas I at least thought Black's film was flawed but entertaining

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hated black’s chopped up Frankenstein very hosed up movie

Predators should not be trying to steal autism

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

I hated black’s chopped up Frankenstein very hosed up movie

Predators should not be trying to steal autism

Yeah that movie is a mess. Like how sloppily it kills off Sterling K Brown's character.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The entire ending was shot and then reshot. Not to mention the final scene was retooled so much. I’m sure people know but they shot a scene where loving Ripley or Newt was in the alien pod. It’s insane

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They tried to get Arnold but he didn't want to just do a cameo.

Also don't forget the irl sex pest who was introduced harassing Olivia Munn.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Yeah, The Predator had a million problems that no movie should have, least of all a Predator movie directed by Shane loving Black.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The Predator loving sucked. One of those times where I could feel myself getting increasingly pissed off in the theatre as it went on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Prey is really good.