Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

ummel posted:

It was a poo poo take and a bad post. There's no need to express the views that the poster did on this dead gay comedy forum.

Keep it in cspam where the rules don't matter.

There is nothing wrong with comparing the occupation forces carrying out a genocide to the Nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
The comparison seems apt.
It was wishing death on another posters family members that seemed to cross the line.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Marenghi posted:

The comparison seems apt.
It was wishing death on another posters family members that seemed to cross the line.

Personally, if I had family members who were actively conducting a genocide, I wouldn't be mentioning it online in a thread talking about the ongoing genocide.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fidelitious posted:

Provincial level Canadian politician made some 'interesting' comments in a discussion hosted by B'nai Brith

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/02/01/bc-selina-robinson-israel-comments/amp/

Our governments are full of the absolute worst people. Full-bore Zionists who completely support the genocide. Classic colonialist narratives to justify the worst crimes imaginable.
She has previously spouted the well-worn opinion that really the suffering of Palestinian civilians is Egypt's fault because they won't open their borders to the innocent civilians. So really, Israel has no choice but to keep bombing them since they won't leave.

hahah this is the same thing Joan Peters argued in From Time Immemorial which was eviscerated by Norman Finkelstein almost forty years ago.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

The Sean posted:

If I'm reading this right: "semantics are more important, even though they're dumb"

I can't figure this out otherwise. Like if, for instance, genocide were only classified as a misdemeanor it wouldn't be as bad as murder because it's technically in a different legal category? Really? Even though it would be dumb, that's how it's classified and that's what we should focus on? Categorization is key over substance?

Like this, if they are not classified as military, but they're doing military-seeming things (that are not different than military actions--but the worker isn't classified as such) its technically not military actions?

"I don't agree with it or like it, but that's how it works" is what I'm saying. When it comes to legal bullshit, being accurate is always the best way. It's like how way too many piece of poo poo murderers in America get away with it because prosecutors get ahead of themselves and charge way more than they can prove. Yeah, they totally loving did it and the worst way possible, but the prosecutors couldn't prove the criminal intent so they get off since they only charged for premeditated murder in a state where you actually have to prove that they took steps to plan their murder before commissioning it. That's why I said "I don't condone it, I'm just explaining it."

I hope that clarifies.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Randalor posted:

Personally, if I had family members who were actively conducting a genocide, I wouldn't be mentioning it online in a thread talking about the ongoing genocide.

This is quite the leap from what the poster posted. Go touch grass.

Speleothing posted:

That poster was correct. The IOF are equivalent to the SS and if your family is a part of it, you should at the very minimum sever.

Seriously, you cspam edgelords need loving therapy. No wonder no one takes you seriously outside of insular online communities.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ummel fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 2, 2024

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

ummel posted:

It was a poo poo take and a bad post. There's no need to express the views that the poster did on this dead gay comedy forum.

Keep it in cspam where the rules don't matter.

That poster was correct. The IOF are equivalent to the SS and if your family is a part of it, you should at the very minimum sever.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

ummel posted:

kiminewt posted:

I'd rather the US just sanctioned them to hell so they'll be forced to stop and no one will get killed but I have family members in the IDF.

:shrug:

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

ummel posted:

Seriously, you cspam edgelords need loving therapy. No wonder no one takes you seriously outside of insular online communities.

One can avoid conscription in Israel OP I know several people who have. One has a moral obligation to even risk prison rather than participate in an ethnic cleansing campaign. I disagree with a lot of the cspam adjacent people all the time but this isn't one of their crazy things at all, it's barely hyperbole.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

ummel posted:

I've argued in this subforum quite extensively that it's bad and unproductive to sever ties with meemaw even if she voted for Trump or something, but I think it's quite a bit different when the family member in question is an actual boots-on-the-ground active participant in an ongoing genocide. I don't think there's anyone I'd keep in my life if they've engaged in the wholesale slaughter of innocents, much less on behalf of a nazilike ethnostate's ethnic cleansing project.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I believe there is a difference between being completely callous with so-called "collateral damage" and actively going after civilians. If anyone told me that they gleefully OR ruefully killed civilians I wouldn't want to be in contact with them, but someone simply being in the IDF, I don't think so. None of you had grandparents who served in Vietnam? Nothing will be accomplished by me not saying "hello" to a family member who trained troops at a yearly family dinner.

Furthermore, I was in the IDF myself, so glass house and all. I, personally, don't think I did anything wrong by being conscripted to ride a desk when I was a teenager. I wouldn't do it again and I'm not proud of it but there we are.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

ummel posted:

Say what ya want about "your IDF family should die", but posts like this one are hosed up. Accuse somebody of being a member of some "other", some outgroup, and then call their mental health into question.

Imagine people being upset about tens of thousands killed, and far more yet to die and who knows how many ruined lives. Perpetrated by our allies, with our assistance, and public acceptance (but behind the scenes they're very seriously not ok with it, I mean, we're the good guys!)

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

kiminewt posted:

I believe there is a difference between being completely callous with so-called "collateral damage" and actively going after civilians

the IDF intentionally targets civilians

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

punishedkissinger posted:

the IDF intentionally targets civilians

I don't deny that, though I probably diverge in scope from the concensus in the thread. I just meant to say that it is not necessarily every soldier that is a crazy baby killer, just like I don't believe every Hamas soldier is ready to put babies in the microwave or whatever it was at the drop of a hat.

I did cut off Israeli friends who had horrid opinions from my life, but I still wouldn't wish death on them.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

kiminewt posted:

I believe there is a difference between being completely callous with so-called "collateral damage" and actively going after civilians. If anyone told me that they gleefully OR ruefully killed civilians I wouldn't want to be in contact with them, but someone simply being in the IDF, I don't think so. None of you had grandparents who served in Vietnam? Nothing will be accomplished by me not saying "hello" to a family member who trained troops at a yearly family dinner.

Furthermore, I was in the IDF myself, so glass house and all. I, personally, don't think I did anything wrong by being conscripted to ride a desk when I was a teenager. I wouldn't do it again and I'm not proud of it but there we are.

The deskrider Nazis were still Nazis.

The IDF absolutely is actively going after civilians and engaging in genocide.

kiminewt posted:

I don't deny that, though I probably diverge in scope from the concensus in the thread. I just meant to say that it is not necessarily every soldier that is a crazy baby killer, just like I don't believe every Hamas soldier is ready to put babies in the microwave or whatever it was at the drop of a hat.

No. Long range weapons are used to distance the death of babies from the act. Did a house fall on top of a baby? Welp, that's war.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

kiminewt posted:

None of you had grandparents who served in Vietnam?

My grandfather served in a war. Against Nazis. Does that count for anything?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Randalor posted:

My grandfather served in a war. Against Nazis. Does that count for anything?

Did they see combat?

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I regret bringing my personal poo poo into this. I'm not going to excommunicate my brother and father and every single person I grew up with because they served in the IDF and I feel like most people wouldn't. If you would, perhaps you have a stronger moral fiber than I. Sorry for the poo poo derail.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

small butter posted:

I don't think that anyone has argued that "nothing" can be done to curb Israeli attacks and atrocities in the future. The argument is that given how terrible the attack on October 7 was, the Israeli response that you have seen to it could not have been stopped without a military intervention. No amount of tech sector pressure or whatever would have done anything, and certainly not keeping Israelis from traveling given that Israel drafted 1/5th of their population, anyway.

"Oh no, these things we haven't remotely tried would never have helped but this extremely soft move will yield dividends" doesn't work, from my perspective. Maybe the US should try some of these moves and see what happens instead of getting Matthew Miller up on TV to choke out "Israel has the right to defend itself" or "we'll look into that" again like a gurning, masturbating monkey with no sense of shame?

e:

kiminewt posted:

I'd rather the US just sanctioned them to hell so they'll be forced to stop and no one will get killed but hey I have family members in the IDF.

Your family is actively involved in a genocide. If anyone else's family is in the IDF, they're also actively involved with a genocide. While I wouldn't have leapt to a Dirlewanger comparison, it'd be great if you can let your family know that they've at least one genocidaire in the gene pool.

kiminewt posted:

I regret bringing my personal poo poo into this. I'm not going to excommunicate my brother and father and every single person I grew up with because they served in the IDF and I feel like most people wouldn't. If you would, perhaps you have a stronger moral fiber than I. Sorry for the poo poo derail.

Indeed. You won't ostracise a family member participating in genocide. You won't yell at family members supporting the genocidaires in your family. When they start talking about just following orders, you'll give them a warm hug because they'll always be family.

Hong XiuQuan fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 2, 2024

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Grip it and rip it posted:

Did they see combat?

From what I recall, he had.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
If my grandpa fought in Vietnam he woulda been shooting at NATO forces

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My dad was in vietnam and my grandpa fought for Hitler ama and what is my punishment

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos

kiminewt posted:

I did cut off Israeli friends who had horrid opinions from my life, but I still wouldn't wish death on them.

I don't know, I don't think everyone enlists to do murder, but I do think that if you enlist and then the military starts actively prosecuting a genocide you should probably not continue to aid them in that genocide.

This is a bit of a moot point when we're talking about the IOF doing genocide over decades though.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Maybe this thread needs to be closed for a short while or returned to stricter scrutiny

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Staluigi posted:

Maybe this thread needs to be closed for a short while or returned to stricter scrutiny

The thread should not be closed. It needs to be consistently moderated. The good faith educational discussion subforum should not have a universal heckler's veto.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I think we're done talking about how bad goons and/or their family members serving in the IDF are. It's pretty clearly not going to suddenly go somewhere productive.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I think we're done talking about how bad goons and/or their family members serving in the IDF are. It's pretty clearly not going to suddenly go somewhere productive.

I think discussing what it's like to have family members in a genocidal military is pretty on point.

If we extend the nazi metaphor, how would the thread act to someone saying their cousin is a concentration camp guard?

The genocide is real and real people are doing it in the real world. This isn't some academic exercise.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
No it's weird and gross, and the only thing it is producing is a lot of side eye from the lurkers here like myself.

They specifically brought it up asking for heavy sanctions on Israel so that loss of life was halted on both sides and the reaction to that sentiment was completely disproportionate and jarring, attacking generic people rather than the governments commanding them.

I wonder what some of the people here would have said to someone [e: that had family die on both sides of the American Civil War]

Yawgmoft fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 2, 2024

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

I think discussing what it's like to have family members in a genocidal military is pretty on point.

If we extend the nazi metaphor, how would the thread act to someone saying their cousin is a concentration camp guard?

The genocide is real and real people are doing it in the real world. This isn't some academic exercise.

Telling someone they should wish their family was dead is not "discussing" anything.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Yawgmoft posted:

I wonder what some of the people here would have said to someone [e: that had family die on both sides of the American Civil War]

One of my grandpa's brothers went to fight for the Nazis in WWII (my grandpa and his other brother fought for the US, they were 2nd generation immigrants). Nazi brother died in from combat injuries in an allied POW camp. Neither of them would even mention his name, and to this day the only thing my grandpa (who is 97 and still kickin) will say about Nazi brother is: "I'm glad that Nazi traitor bastard died, wish I could have pulled the trigger."

While I agree that there's not much point in attacking an individual for refusing to wish death upon their family, I don't think it's that outrageous to view "willingly associates with IDF soldiers" as a moral stain akin to "willingly associates with Nazis" or more generally "willingly associates with organizations that actively perpetrated a genocide". Maybe it's not the most important topic, but a decent number of the IDF genocide doers are citizens of the US/European countries to which they will presumably return at some point. A nontrivial number of people are going to have to reckon with the fact that their friend/brother/sister/etc is a genocide doer.

Yawgmoft posted:

the reaction to that sentiment was completely disproportionate and jarring, attacking generic people rather than the governments commanding them.

To move the discussion in a more productive direction: Do you think that individual IDF soldiers doing the genocide bear no moral culpability for their actions? If so, do you believe the same thing with respect to Nazis (or Hutu militia members or members of Myanmar's military or Serbian police members who participated in their respective genocide campaigns)? You don't outright say it, but your response here seems to imply that you view a "just following orders" defense as sufficient to absolve a genocide do-er of moral culpability. If attacking "generic people" (I assume you mean "specific people"? Not super clear) doing a genocide isn't acceptable, and you do not believe that a "just following orders" defense absolves them of culpability, could you please explain why you believe that?

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

Telling someone they should wish their family was dead is not "discussing" anything.

Yeah whatever is going on in here is gross and should be treated harshly.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

socialsecurity posted:

One person did that, and that is indeed across the line.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

socialsecurity posted:

yeah this. dunno how my post was "cheerleading" tbh but w/e

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

I don't know when it's a line to draw, but I'm sure there's lots of interesting and maybe even productive (if provocative and hard to moderate) discussion about it. But it may go beyond the scope of the thread.

People are people. Myself and everybody I know are guilty just being Americans, our everyday lives and culture and consumption requiring ravaging the world and obliterating people just to chug along, and sure enough we validate and support it just by playing ball. But redacted or self terminating doesn't solve this either.

Humanity and empathy are something we cannot lose our grip on, even (and especially) when voting and talking has failed, even when it may be time to destroy and kill.

We have to meet people where they are before we write them off, because writing somebody off may soon mean something far more drastic than some impotent severing.

Edit: no I am not summoning nightcrawler.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
What's important is that all the moderation steps we need to keep things in step have already been taken, by probating one person that mentioned a subforum.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

What's important is that all the moderation steps we need to keep things in step have already been taken, by probating one person that mentioned a subforum.

Actually a few people got probated, and that's just so far. I mean, a lot of people are dead and more are dying or will die. Considering that, I'd eat a probe just to say your post sucks! Nobody's even leveled my house or killed everybody I know and love yet.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

It's just incredibly jarring to see an earnest "clean Wehrmacht" argument in this, of all contexts

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

It's just incredibly jarring to see an earnest "clean Wehrmacht" argument in this, of all contexts

Where did that happen?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

BRJurgis posted:

We have to meet people where they are before we write them off, because writing somebody off may soon mean something far more drastic than some impotent severing.

I wonder if my grandad, who was in a concentration camp (while his wife was a forced labourer), would feel this way about the nazis who brutalised them.

I'm gonna say. Lmao loving no.

e: Which isn't to say that's how I feel about IDF, just commenting on the "let's not be too harsh on nazis" bit.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Where did that happen?

The part where someone riding a desk doesn't have culpability in a genocide/apartheid

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)