Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

anakha posted:

For context, here are the main Persona Steam releases ranked in terms of 24-hour peaks during launch:

• Persona 3 Reload - 42,112
  • Persona 5 Royal - 35,474
  • Persona 4 Golden - 29,984
  • Persona 5 Strikers - 8,730
  • Persona 4 Arena Ultimax - 7,099

Guess the simultaneous launch worked.

I thought P5R would have it beat for sure. But I guess P5R was just a rerelease, and P3 is a remake of a nearly 20 year old game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

All of a sudden it feels really hard to drop $70 on this despite having been someone who bought and played Tactica, especially when Rebirth is out in less than four weeks.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Does using the toilet have different effects now?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Shoehead posted:

Persona Megathread: Does using the toilet have different effects now?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shoehead posted:

If you don't use the toilet you increase the chance of acquiring the debuff "shat your pants" when enemies hit you in Tartarus.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

not being able to use the analog stick for menu selection is screwing me up bad

I HATE IT IT DOESNT MAKE ANY loving SENSE *sweeps everything off table*

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

if you think that's bad, the key you need to use to quit the game from the title screen on PC is H

H

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

On pc Game Pass the game won’t detect PlayStation controllers, but lets you display to PlayStation glyphs (not useless, since you can still use PS controllers by emulating an Xbox controller with DS4Windows or the like)

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Rinkles posted:

On pc Game Pass the game won’t detect PlayStation controllers, but lets you display to PlayStation glyphs (not useless, since you can still use PS controllers by emulating an Xbox controller with DS4Windows or the like)

The game detects my dualsense just fine. Wired, not bluetooth, though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Really? I didn't see the option to change to playstation prompts

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I think it’s under gameplay at the bottom.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Look all I'm saying is if I can't take a poo poo so good that i makes me fight better for a whole day then is it really Persona 3?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Oxxidation posted:

not being able to use the analog stick for menu selection is screwing me up bad
Why would you use the analog stick for menuing?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Why wouldn't you?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/antumbral/status/1753506346853634463

lmao

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

P5R was my first persona game and I'm checking out the P3 remake and immediately I am jiving far less with this soundtrack. P5R sets a high bar to clear I know but this one's not doing it for me so far. Still super early on though.

Edit: ^^^ that is hosed lmao

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
drat it's weird hearing the MC talk so much. hosed up IMO.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Did they change it so you get penalized for dating more than one girl? Need to know if I’m going to be a cheating rear end in a top hat or not.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Flowing Thot posted:

Did they change it so you get penalized for dating more than one girl? Need to know if I’m going to be a cheating rear end in a top hat or not.

you already got massively penalized for dating more than one girl in the original and now I think it's substantially less penalized because s links can't break anymore

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah that was the whole issue in vanilla p3. you got hugely punished for dating more than 1 girl but you couldnt do an s. link with most girls without dating them so it felt like the developers didnt conceive of the idea that you might see women as people and want to hang out with them

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I was looking for new mods out of boredom and I noticed fans finally letting the true Joker experience be real now.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

explosivo posted:

P5R was my first persona game and I'm checking out the P3 remake and immediately I am jiving far less with this soundtrack. P5R sets a high bar to clear I know but this one's not doing it for me so far. Still super early on though.

As someone unfamiliar with original, I'd be curious to hear what you think about the original version of the P3 soundtrack compared with the new one.

These (the original versions linked) are probably the main two (that show up early on) where I find the new version a significant downgrade. I generally prefer the originals for pretty much everything that has an original version, though in most cases it's pretty minor. I think the new vocalist is just really poorly suited to the old songs (she sounds great in all the new ones, though - Color Your Night is great, and the new battle them is at least as good as Mass Destruction). But the P3 soundtrack is also basically pure distilled nostalgia, so that definitely factors into the equation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iupq4GUgiQ8 (I think the new version of this one bugs me the most; the new vocals just really don't work for it at all and it just feels a lot more "anemic")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzRqtW1C0Zo (despite definitely being goofier than the Reload version I feel like the vibes work better for this, though the dorm vibes in general are pretty radically different in Reload; it originally had much darker lightning and a vaguely "seedy" feel to it)

What, your favorite method of listening to music isn't "booting up the program for your favorite album on your PC"?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Ytlaya posted:

edit: I feel like Twilight Fragments might be more plentiful once the missions and stuff unlock, since I think they're rewarded by those? As is, I absolutely wasn't able to open most twilight chests I encountered in Thebel (though you can always go back and open them later, it looks like). Granted, that's partly because I spent 7 on a full heal, but even if I hadn't I still wouldn't have been able to open them, since some require 3 fragments (I'd be willing to bet those might have special weapons/armor).

I never healed, but I also didn't scour the overworld beforehand for loose fragments, so I was (at least on my generated run) at zero by the end and had only missed a single two-fragment chest. The two 3s I opened were both weapons, Poison Bow for Yukari and... some sword for me. I'm not sure if the breakable statue things containing fragments respawn randomly like the others, but with how many repeats I did I suspect not.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I just realized I kept checking the register in the dorm lobby the past 5 days running even if there's no save option there anymore.

loving ingrained habits LMFAO

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Mailer posted:

I never healed, but I also didn't scour the overworld beforehand for loose fragments, so I was (at least on my generated run) at zero by the end and had only missed a single two-fragment chest. The two 3s I opened were both weapons, Poison Bow for Yukari and... some sword for me. I'm not sure if the breakable statue things containing fragments respawn randomly like the others, but with how many repeats I did I suspect not.

They do, I found a fresh random one in a subsequent reclear. They just seem very rare.

I got one in my first real Tartarus run and when I came back to finish the highest floor I went back to lower floors to burn off the rest of my sp loot hunting and ran into another shard breakable container

Sloober fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 3, 2024

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Namnesor posted:

The game detects my dualsense just fine. Wired, not bluetooth, though.

yup seems to work fine wired but not wireless

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

they did it. finally the sins of p3p and p5 are washed away by the perfect persona game. oh and of course its going down now instantly singlehandedly demolishes the entire p5 ost;. p3p ai upscale buyers seething 🙏 thank you based atlus

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

drat, the first full moon boss is a close call on Merciless. Only had like 2 minutes left (on the second try, where I mostly ignored the adds and just attacked constantly while keeping Rakunda up).

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

P4 > P5 > P3 in terms of soundtracks.

This also bares out since P3 dancing is the worst one to play too. Although Our Moment is a good title song.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
boy i forgot how grating some of these social links could be

would someone please upend a bucket of icewater over kenji's head

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

boy i forgot how grating some of these social links could be

would someone please upend a bucket of icewater over kenji's head

My plan is to mash skip through every moment he is on screen.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Endorph posted:

yeah that was the whole issue in vanilla p3. you got hugely punished for dating more than 1 girl but you couldnt do an s. link with most girls without dating them so it felt like the developers didnt conceive of the idea that you might see women as people and want to hang out with them

It's not just how it feels, the director specifically said that in an interview. That he didn't believe it was possible to be friends with a woman.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Clarste posted:

It's not just how it feels, the director specifically said that in an interview. That he didn't believe it was possible to be friends with a woman.

That is the single nerdiest game dev thing I have ever heard in my life, Jesus.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Very early into P3R but I think the 'emotion cut-ins' during conversations don't flow as well compared to P5R. They seem to just do the cut-in without any dialogue in P3R, which kinda makes them feel more like an interruption.

Also Junpei's new VA is really close to the original which is good. A couple lines feel like you can hear him really trying to stick as close to the original delivery, but otherwise it's been a smooth transition.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ruinedstego/status/1753631595603321281

It's not Persona 3 Reload Golden Royal, it's an expansion pass!

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
The DLC news is very depressing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/ruinedstego/status/1753631595603321281

It's not Persona 3 Reload Golden Royal, it's an expansion pass!

I mean that's a shitload better than telling us to buy the game a second time.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

stev posted:

I mean that's a shitload better than telling us to buy the game a second third fourth fifth time.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Japan as a whole is really bad on fair use on music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
lmao at the one conspicuously missing item on the DLC list