Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

We really need to normalize being child free

the phrase "child free" has a whole lot of bad baggage ("how DARE they allow a CHILD to exist in the same vicinity as my perfect golden self!!!!!!!!!")

it's not just kids though, i think it's a bigger concept of "don't make big decisions like getting married and/or having kids just because you think it's the 'next step', do it because you sincerely want to do it for its own sake"

also "and extremely do not do these things because you think it will 'fix' a relationship"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

InsertPotPun posted:

ears work in multiple directions!
Yours, perhaps.

It's also just normal to make eye contact frequently during conversation, if that appeals to you.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

the phrase "child free" has a whole lot of bad baggage ("how DARE they allow a CHILD to exist in the same vicinity as my perfect golden self!!!!!!!!!")

it's not just kids though, i think it's a bigger concept of "don't make big decisions like getting married and/or having kids just because you think it's the 'next step', do it because you sincerely want to do it for its own sake"

also "and extremely do not do these things because you think it will 'fix' a relationship"

every generation since subsistence farming went out of fashion has had a shitton of DINKs, not having kids as a lifestyle choice/way things panned out and not a deliberately fringe identity is about as normal as it comes. "childfree" is just to being an adult who hasn't watched Frozen 47 times what the Dawkins New Atheist types are to sleeping in on Sunday

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 2, 2024

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

My parents treated raising me as a chore and didn't really want to be with each other. At least neither tried to demand lots of contact with me after I became an adult so I went and found cooler people who wanted me around and no one tries to get me to come to family holidays. Those parents need to just accept the situation, they made it way more dramatic than it needs to be which just made their kid feel worse.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Troublemaker posted:

AITA for taking one of my husband's cheeseburgers?

My husband has this habit of buying himself 3 extra cheeseburgers (the little thin ones) when he goes to McDonalds so that he can eat them for breakfast the next day. He puts them in the waffle iron to reheat them.

I want to try this now :mad:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it's got to be incredibly repulsive, those things turn to shoe leather within 10 minutes of ordering

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

But waffle irons make things crispy and delightful

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Space Kablooey posted:

I had no idea ramen was supposed to be served in a bowl until i was like 20, and i still put instant ramen on a plate because i couldn't care less (and i don't have the proper bowls). And that's when i don't eat it straight off the pot, like an animal

This is from a few pages ago, but you can have ramen without broth, by substituting it with an appropriately flavoured sauce. There are, in fact, ramen places around Japan that are dedicated to this style of ramen.

Alternatively, you can have all the noodles & toppings on one plate, and the broth in another, and eaten by dipping what you've grasped with your chopsticks in the broth to your liking.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Larry Cum Free posted:

I want to try this now :mad:

please don't do McDonalds as breakfast

But if you do, i hear freezing them overnight and nuking them works a treat

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I love mcdonald's as breakfast and every single time I wish I'd not 20 min layer, but I keep coming back. Idk what it is about their breakfast but it's on a grease factor well well well above their daytime menu.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

every generation since subsistence farming went out of fashion has had a shitton of DINKs, not having kids as a lifestyle choice/way things panned out and not a deliberately fringe identity is about as normal as it comes. "childfree" is just to being an adult who hasn't watched Frozen 47 times what the Dawkins New Atheist types are to sleeping in on Sunday

jesus christ i wasn't trying to defend the "childfree" dipshits i just think there ought to be more explicit messaging that marriage and kids should be active choices and not just "well, i don't hate you, so i guess we ought to take the 'next step' and see what happens" going with the flow

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i remember hearing some dipshit years ago saying "we're going to try for a baby, not sure what else to do" and while that's not the absolute worst decision it's still a bad choice

selec
Sep 6, 2003

The pressure to Just Have a Kid, C’mon, It’s Just One Kid, C’mon I Need A Grandbaby is insane in American culture and it absolutely should be countermessaged against. Ideologically child-free people are the worst possible group for this purpose, however.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
tbf i don't think that one's specifically on america

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Gwely Mernans posted:

My grandpa would tell my mom that he would never want a Catholic doctor to deliver his child because if it was a choice between his wife and baby they would save the baby.

If I could get pregnant, I would absolutely be grilling the doctors about this. I'd rather be alive than leave my husband as a single dad. This is a perfectly reasonable reason to not want a Catholic or other overly-religious doctor. Way too many doctors these days would let the mom die for the baby, and I would never, ever want that to happen to my daughter either. I'd totally be warning her that doctors can be terrible and not have a woman's best interest in mind.

There's probably a much nicer way to put that that hopefully wouldn't traumatize your daughter though. Like there's gotta be a better way to frame it rather than "I'd like your mom to live and you're expendable" even if it's the truth.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I went to a ramen bar near the Korean bit of Tokyo that did Taiwanese-style dry ramen like that. Don't know if the Taiwanese thing was a weird translation, so don't ask.

They thoughtfully offered a scoop of rice after you'd finished your noodles to sop up any remaining sauce.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

i remember hearing some dipshit years ago saying "we're going to try for a baby, not sure what else to do" and while that's not the absolute worst decision it's still a bad choice

"Not sure what else to do" as in, we've checked everything else off our bucket lists and now we don't know what to do with ourselves? Or, our marriage is terrible and nothing else has fixed it so we're gonna try this?

Ah hell, I already know the answer.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"We've run out of things to talk about, haven't we?"
"Want something to argue about?"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

artsy fartsy posted:

"Not sure what else to do" as in, we've checked everything else off our bucket lists and now we don't know what to do with ourselves? Or, our marriage is terrible and nothing else has fixed it so we're gonna try this?

As in, schedule's open for the weekend

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
my favorite are the ones who are shocked - flabbergasted, even, when she "falls pregnant". Who could have foreseen this?!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I was a pact baby to a teen mom who slept with her drug dealer to get pregnant without telling him and then they were forced to get married because her parents were strict Catholics and threatened to turn him in if he didn't.

It turned out about as well as you might imagine.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Hey crappy family buddy! :hfive:

I'm the second kid my mom had, she gave the first one away (her adoptive family sucked too) and frankly we both should have been aborted. My mom would have been way better off and not stayed with abusive Catholic men.

I rarely speak to her anymore since she compared me to pedos for being queer.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Grey Cat posted:

I love mcdonald's as breakfast and every single time I wish I'd not 20 min layer, but I keep coming back. Idk what it is about their breakfast but it's on a grease factor well well well above their daytime menu.

They get kind of annoyed when you ask them to break out the silvered/quarter pounder onions for your bacon egg and cheese bagel but they will do it and it is wonderful.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Space Kablooey posted:

please don't do McDonalds as breakfast

But if you do, i hear freezing them overnight and nuking them works a treat

Oh I want to try eating it but no way before like 10 pm minimum. This is a treat for the intoxicated.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

I don't understand the "your kids are only with you for a little while, but your partner is forever, so spend more time/energy/emotion on your partner!" mindset. I mean, the fact that your kids are only little for a few years, then they get a little older and make friends they want to spend time with, then grow up and leave and start their own lives and families away from you should be MORE incentive to spend all the time you can with the little monsters.

My oldest turns 15 this year and it's killing me to think I only have him for 3 more years before he'll be independent. He's always talked about moving overseas when he grows up, so if that happens I go from seeing him every day (when he's not sleeping or training or running around with friends) to maybe once a year or so. That doesn't mean I'm going to smother him or anything for the next 3 years, but I'll definitely make time for him, however much time he wants to spend with us. Usually he'll do sports and movie nights with his dad and go on walks or rides with me where we'll just talk about everything. I can't imagine ignoring him or his little brothers just because eh, gently caress it, they'll all be out of the house in the next 8 years. poo poo, what's the point of having them if you don't want to take them on vacations and share new places and experiences with them? Of course I enjoy couple time, but family vacations are so much fun. These parents act so shocked that their children, these helpless little lives that they brought into the world, need them and depend on them; for a long time, parents are a kid's entire world. They need them for everything. Having the two most important human beings in their lives treat them as unimportant will definitely gently caress up their sense of self-worth.

That story about leaving the 3-year-old who just woke up crying from a nightmare out in the hall so they could finish loving had to be so traumatic for that little guy's development. "Sorry, I know you're scared shitless and need to feel safe and comforted, but Daddy wants an orgasm."

"But . . . but ... we did everything we were supposed to!" gently caress off, you piece of poo poo. You did everything but love and raise your kid.

Troublemaker fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 3, 2024

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Scathach posted:

If I could get pregnant, I would absolutely be grilling the doctors about this. I'd rather be alive than leave my husband as a single dad. This is a perfectly reasonable reason to not want a Catholic or other overly-religious doctor. Way too many doctors these days would let the mom die for the baby, and I would never, ever want that to happen to my daughter either. I'd totally be warning her that doctors can be terrible and not have a woman's best interest in mind.

There's probably a much nicer way to put that that hopefully wouldn't traumatize your daughter though. Like there's gotta be a better way to frame it rather than "I'd like your mom to live and you're expendable" even if it's the truth.

I talked to a doctor about this once (just like, casually, not as a patient) and he said that is just a TV trope. Apparently there really are very few, if any, scenarios where it's an emergency and "you have to choose, wife or baby!" Generally if something goes wrong during delivery they just, y'know, try their best to save both.

The exception is things like cancer where chemo would probably kill a fetus, but delaying chemo would allow cancer to spread. But that isn't a "heat of the moment" decision and generally the mother gets to choose for herself.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

artsy fartsy posted:

pretty sure it was basically something along the lines of 'our relationship is unfulfilling but we lack the impetus to break up so maybe we need to take it to the 'next step''

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The common theme is that the child is considered an object, a prop, a means to an end, rather than a person whom they will spend at least two decades entirely responsible for.

Pratchett definitely had it right when he wrote that evil begins when you treat people as things.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Elissimpark posted:

I went to a ramen bar near the Korean bit of Tokyo that did Taiwanese-style dry ramen like that. Don't know if the Taiwanese thing was a weird translation, so don't ask.

They thoughtfully offered a scoop of rice after you'd finished your noodles to sop up any remaining sauce.

Dry noodles are a thing in Taiwan yeah but I don’t know enough food history to know where it started.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Gwely Mernans posted:

My grandparents prioritized each other over my mom and uncles and they are now all low contact with them.

My grandpa would tell my mom that he would never want a Catholic doctor to deliver his child because if it was a choice between his wife and baby they would save the baby.
Your grandpa was completely wrong. The Catholic doctrine is that if you have to make a choice between the lives of mother and child, you don't. They die together. The exception is that if you're removing the organs for another reason and the baby comes with, that's okay. In particular, when you have an ectopic pregnancy, it is moral to remove the Fallopian tube, but it is immoral to open the Fallopian tube, remove the embryo, and repair it.

e: And as whitepuppy said, this almost never happens nowadays; there are things like HELLP syndrome, where you have to remove the pregnancy immediately or the mother dies, but the "either the mother or the baby can be saved" is really rare.

Extremely gross 19th-century medical info (do not read if you're pregnant!)
In the 1800s, an obstetrician's kit included devices to kill and collapse the baby so that it could pass through hips too narrow to deliver. C-sections and better childhood health care mercifully put an end to that.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 3, 2024

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

AKA Pseudonym posted:

The fact that this person is convinced that the call-center employee they're talking to is somehow behind all this makes me think that they aren't the savviest. Like maybe they aren't clear on what exactly co-signing a loan means or something like that.

Feel free to insult the person who chose to take a job harassing poor people. But maybe also get to the bottom of how your name came up?

it may not be your name, they may be calling someone else’s old phone number which is now your number.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

On one hand, getting community input is great for making sure that stakeholders are represented in planning. On the other hand, somehow only the most insufferable people have the time and energy to engage with planning boards. There's a reason it's impossible to build apartments in most of Austin (and probably a lot of other cities), and it's mostly entitled old white people with opinions about ~property values~ and ~neighborhood character~.

Running for local office on a single-issue platform of moving all zoning & council meetings to 11PM saturday night

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Jaxts posted:

You find out a lot about a potential spouse during a trip. You find out even more if it's a road trip. You survive that, you'll make it just fine.

I knew poo poo was real real with my girlfriend when our flights got cancelled and suddenly we were instead doing a 32-hour round trip on the road and It. Was. Better. Than. Driving. Alone.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Hughlander posted:

I was just going to post that...

Totally reminds me of the guy who went NC after college because the parents were taking 5 vacations a year leaving him home because marriage is forever, children are just until they're adults.

Like hoarders who are like, "People can leave if you don't make (literal) room for them in your life, objects never leave. They degrade over time and get covered with roach poop and eventually they are taken away from you by the city and you're put in a home, but they don't leave!"

:smith:

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Women are a slot machine into which you feed money and time in order to receive sex, and your children are a slot machine into which you insert money and time in order to receive validation.
drat

also, :smith:

Grey Cat posted:

I got to McDonalds for their pancakes. Somehow they manage to keep the pancakes both fluffy and fully-cooked even when you douse them in butter and syrup. I also really like the steak bagels sandwiches. It's good I go there about three times a year because when I go I eat both and I am a fatass who doesn't need more calories.

trickybiscuits fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 3, 2024

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Miss Manners: I don’t want anything to do with him. How should I handle it in a mature way?, teen asks

quote:

DEAR MISS MANNERS: I’m a junior in high school, and there is a boy in one of my classes who has feelings for me. I don’t feel the same way, and have told him that.

We’ve been sending notes back and forth for the last three weeks, and now I realize that we have nothing in common. I like K-pop and J-pop (Korean and Japanese music) and he likes Metallica and other rock music. He keeps talking about his band and the music he makes, and I’m not interested in hearing that.

Yesterday, he gave me a note that was all about him and creating his band. At the end of the letter, he signed his name, then put, “P.S. How are you and did you listen to my song?”

I didn’t respond because I’m tired of dealing with him, and don’t want anything to do with him anymore. He sits behind me because he likes me, and I don’t want him behind me anymore. How should I handle it in a mature way? Just continue to ignore him?

quote:

GENTLE READER: It is an unfortunate truth that a gentleman in love will seize any opportunity to get attention from his paramour, even one who has expressly told him that she does not reciprocate his feelings.

Miss Manners suspects that is what is happening here -- and that by your politely continuing to indulge the friendship, he is holding out hope of something more.

You have already told him your feelings, and he has chosen to press on. If there is any way that you can pick your seat after he chooses his, that would solve the immediate problem. Telling him (again) that you do not wish to lead him on should solve the more general one.

Along with the sympathy for a teenager having to deal with an annoying guy who likes her, I'm also gently amused by young people talking about music. And laughing at the guy and his museic, who remind me of something I read a few years ago where somebody wanted advice about someone they wanted to ask out and compared the person to a . . . Justin Beiber song? Oh, young people.

eta: sorry, double post

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Never apologize, never back down, never show weakness :justpost:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4i1yAOKUI4

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

quantumwell posted:

One of the interesting ones was the horndog couple who left their son with the grandparents while they were busy swinging and attending orgies constantly as well as taking long vacations without him. Don't know how to find it but they were shocked when the son finally confronted them.

I remember that one.

And to my eyes, they are not as bad as the recent ones. Because if I remember the story rightly, they explained to their son "Hey, mummy and daddy are going away with this stranger to have "adult fun". You wouldn't like it, and you would get in the way. We still love you and support you in every other way." Which still sucks arse, and they are indeed the weirdo arsehole swingers.

But the recent ones who just straight out ignore their child, and treat it as a burden/secondary responsibility always lesser than their spouse without a word of explanation, are true monsters.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Your grandpa was completely wrong. The Catholic doctrine is that if you have to make a choice between the lives of mother and child, you don't. They die together. The exception is that if you're removing the organs for another reason and the baby comes with, that's okay. In particular, when you have an ectopic pregnancy, it is moral to remove the Fallopian tube, but it is immoral to open the Fallopian tube, remove the embryo, and repair it.
??? I can kind of see how the doctrine ended up at that point from arguing other situations, but it's so baffling to me because an ectopic pregnancy is never going to be able to develop to viability anyway, but removing the tube as a way to save the mother is the kind of thing that'd interfere with fertility, so I'd have thought that'd fall under birth control if there was another option possible (opening, extracting, and then repairing the tube).

I guess it's the sort of situation where your three options are 'abort the fetus', 'perform a surgery that reduces fertility', and 'everyone dies', so it's just about picking the least bad option via the doctrine? Like, especially bc 'welp I'm less likely to get pregnant' isn't the point of the surgery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Regardless I still don't want religious nuts around my body. Same group is horrible to kids anyway. Spooky and disturbing all around, much like r/relationships.