Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

pik_d posted:

There's a big reddit thread about how the Lifmunk Effigies actually decrease catch rates:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Palworld/comments/1agnc05/major_bug_lifmunk_effigies_reducing_the_capture/

Outstanding. Ripping off Pokemon right down the Gen 1 bugginess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Do the catch rates ever really improve? Now that I'm pushing level 35 it seems like every high level pal will have a sub 10% catch rate even when near dead and with higher level spheres. I've also maxed out the Lifmunk Effigy catch rate thing, though the impact of that seems unclear.

Sphere capture rates are trash the moment you pass that magical threshold where they want you to rank up to the next sphere tech level. If you see a sub 5% capture rate no matter the damage that sphere rank is tagged as "useless" against them.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Well at least you can use the Memory Wipe medicine since that is bugged to wipe the effigies.

Wait no, they just fixed that bug. lmao

I loving knew the capture rates were rear end. It didn't help that I maxed my effigies really early on because I wanted the best benefit/fewer wasted balls from as early as possible.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

And flying around to pick them all up at night when you can't see anything except them is fun as hell. So sad.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
My chance to capture is definitely higher than it used to be at least for low level pals. Is that just down to level difference?

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

pik_d posted:

There's a big reddit thread about how the Lifmunk Effigies actually decrease catch rates:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Palworld/comments/1agnc05/major_bug_lifmunk_effigies_reducing_the_capture/

Motherfucker.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The capture balls are inert.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

pentyne posted:

Sphere capture rates are trash the moment you pass that magical threshold where they want you to rank up to the next sphere tech level. If you see a sub 5% capture rate no matter the damage that sphere rank is tagged as "useless" against them.
Honestly, I feel like this is good game design. It feels like a very natural way to link your ability to explore the world with your industrial progress. You can go anywhere you want, but if you actually wanna catch the cool pals you meet you better put some work in at home. Better balls is a very compelling reason to set up more robust mining and crafting operations.

There are admittedly some issues with the base management and capture rates right now, but it's good design.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I think the capture rates should taper off smoothly because it at least allows you to make the choice of "Should I just use a better ball?" or "I'm happy with wasting a few of these lower tier balls on a lower catch rate because I'm making better balls now and I still want to get some use out of these old ones rather than sitting on 100+ balls that have suddenly and arbitrarily become useless."

Sudden changes in catch rates just because you've levelled or the devs feel like, "no you have to do this now" feels bad, especially if you burned a shitload of time and resources on things that are completely useless suddenly rather than merely less optimal. It eases you into changing rather than yanks the carpet out from under you.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I agree. Especially with as glitchy as the ball throwing is. My giant heap of common balls should not be literal trash at level 40 when every other ball costs stuff I have to farm

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Eiba posted:

There are admittedly some issues with the base management and capture rates right now, but it's good design.

It's hard to tell what's a design oopsie and what's actually intended but poorly implemented. Better ball == better capture rate is basically self-explanatory, but that's not how the system functions now. Forcing you to ramp up production is fine, but the production side is so slow and wonky that unless you're leaving the game running 24/7 or something you're constantly behind the times. I've got two electric furnaces churning out ingots nonstop but that's nowhere near enough to cover the sheer volume of legendary balls bonking off of enemies.

The loop of exploration/capturing, base management, upgrade, repeat isn't a bad loop but their first draft implementation doesn't work well. They've got a lot of good ideas that just need to be tempered a bit with reality. At the moment it's way too much dicking around in the base and way too little fun when you do get to go hunt down mons.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mailer posted:

The loop of exploration/capturing, base management, upgrade, repeat isn't a bad loop but their first draft implementation doesn't work well. They've got a lot of good ideas that just need to be tempered a bit with reality. At the moment it's way too much dicking around in the base and way too little fun when you do get to go hunt down mons.

Unless you're including it in base management, you left breeding out of the loop. A little bit of cake goes a long way in ball cost and generates a great deal of XP.

Leveling through 10x captures and battling is bad value. Later on things that knock balls away will be 100% for the weakest ball in the game. Hard to catch Pals at most are worth capturing a male and female if you don't wanna experiment with or lookup other combos they can breed with for more of their species. But that experimentation sometimes means making new things you haven't seen yet or haven't bothered catching 10x of yet.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I kind of wrapped all the manual twiddling in as "base management", yeah. The core premise being the loop between base production fueling outdoor adventures fueling base production.

I did give up for the most part and just bred my way towards things, which was not fun given pals want to do anything but bang, but while that solves for the immediate problem while stuff is broken I don't think it's intended. If it is then that's an awful loop that removes pretty much everything from the game. You'd just have three bases in an endless cycle of sex and cake.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Mailer posted:

You'd just have three bases in an endless cycle of sex and cake.

9 1/2 weeks reboot looking weird as gently caress

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I'm surprised the incubating step uses a magitech glass bubble instead of expecting you to park someone's rear end on top of it. It'd eat into your base pal numbers but it would be awesome to see your favorites doing the work. Imagine watching Depresso standing next to the egg and giving it a dead stare.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I thought that was what the heart shaped box lizard was going to be when I first spotted one. I hadn't hatched any eggs yet (I ignored the purple tech collum for a whole oops) and thought she would be the natural high ranked egg sitter, or encourage breeding rates or anything.

If they expand on automation it would be cool if they handled the eggs themselves from the pen. Especially if they added baby forms, instead of egg timer gambling chores, you get a new batch of muppet babies to keep or turn into merge energy lol.

Edit: actually please add an equivalent legendary/lucky/alpha trait that makes pals smaller. That would actually be useful, pathfinding what it is.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

pik_d posted:

I've only played one character and I think I've only gotten about 3 tiers into the Pal statue, but I felt like something was fucky any time I'd see like 85% catch rate options and yet sometimes I'm throwing 6-8 balls at that critter.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

pik_d posted:

I've suspected this but it is hard to figure out.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I wasn't sure if it was a case of the scaling for higher leveled monsters being out of wack or a bug, all I know is its probably faster to breed missing pals than it is to craft spheres and failing every throw.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
as someone that tends to farm in games more than he shoots in games, I like having the option to breed a warsect or an anubis out of pals I have lying around but agree it should not be the primary intended method of making progress

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Between the effigy buff being broken, and the balls competing with everygoddamn thing else you're juggling for your limited supply of ingots, I'm fully on team breeding farm. Just cranking out anubises as fast as I can bake cakes because I am so sick of manually mining and carrying back ore

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
You can pick vulpix up and use it as a flamethrower, what the gently caress is this game....

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i love my AK monkey

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Javid posted:

Between the effigy buff being broken, and the balls competing with everygoddamn thing else you're juggling for your limited supply of ingots, I'm fully on team breeding farm. Just cranking out anubises as fast as I can bake cakes because I am so sick of manually mining and carrying back ore

Blazamut is the mining king. He alone I think can handle my whole coal mining base. I do have someone else around to gather stuff though.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Cardboard Fox posted:

You can pick vulpix up and use it as a flamethrower, what the gently caress is this game....

I don’t loving know myself, yet somehow I have bought myself a copy and have 10 hours in game already. :shrug:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Dumb question here, but Palworld can be played single-player and offline, right? I got the impression that it's an MP only game, but I might be wrong.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You can run an offline game sure, but to be clear it's just a locally hosted private server.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yea I dunno about offline, but certainly you can play singleplayer

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

my singleplayer save is delightfully cozy

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
If I play a game with my friend on his save, is there a way to keep that character and play/advance it on my own, or is it locked to his save?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thumbtacks posted:

If I play a game with my friend on his save, is there a way to keep that character and play/advance it on my own, or is it locked to his save?

Locked to his save. Gotta start over from scratch on another server/save

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Had tons of fun but Uninstalled until the next major update. Base building needs to be streamlined.l, I dislike not being to place a floor tile because it's too far off the ground even though it would be surrounded on three sides by other tiles. Building continuous stairways is also a pain in rear end, as are adding walls that would extend into the terrain.

Still, this is one of the best early access games I've played and I only hit early 30s.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

For anyone that likes the base building aspect, I highly suggest trying Enshrouded.

The building is much more involved and flexible but there's a learning curve.
You also get NPCs to hang out in your base but they are vendors/crafters and don't walk around.

Deffo a different game but the building is much more satisfying.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I like enshrouded, but it's a much more souls like game with (early game) no automation and less QoL things. Can't craft with resources from chests, for example.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
gonna do myth of empires instead since it is coming back to steam now that their lawsuit is over and you can still capture pokemon (humans) and have up to 3 follow you around

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Brandfarlig posted:

I like enshrouded, but it's a much more souls like game with (early game) no automation and less QoL things. Can't craft with resources from chests, for example.

You get chests that do let your pull resources from them to craft pretty quickly, but yes it should be by default

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Edit: actually please add an equivalent legendary/lucky/alpha trait that makes pals smaller. That would actually be useful, pathfinding what it is.

Seriously, the fact that the only level 4 kindling guy is so huge he gets stuck on literally everything is very silly

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
He should be so huge he hits everything on base anyway.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Sandrock forever spoiled me on pulling from chests.

I do not enjoy not crafting something because I forgot to move one arbitrary inventory icon into a different abstract inventory space. If you don't pull from chests then the game it's better be a death stranding situation

Edit: and lol yeah Mini Ifrit is first hatch if they ever add a Tiny trait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
they should just make everyone's collision much smaller than their actual size

i don't really care if dudes clip through walls i just want them to not get stuck