Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

KillHour posted:

There's a weird idea in business that if you invest 30 million to make 31 million back, that was a bad investment. You have to make 60 million back or your shareholders won't be happy. I've seen people laid off who were literally making the company money by existing, just because they were making money at a lower margin.

While I personally agree with you, and think money should be used to make cool things, and even for businesses money should be used to make cool things which make enough money to make more cool things, to a financial mind if you invest 30 million you have choices of what to invest it in: you can invest it in something that will make you 1 million profit, or 30 million profit. There is an opportunity cost here where the money can't be used while your investment is maturing. Thus, if you invest in something which is profitable but not the most profitable possible thing you could have invested in, you lost all the money that was the difference - 29 million dollars, in this case.

Anyway this is why we can't have Deus Ex games. It's a well-established IP with a small fan base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
It was very likely going to be total poo poo guys

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Thank you Captain Sour Grapes.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Cabal Ties posted:

It was very likely going to be total poo poo guys

Shyeah! And we'd all play the poo poo out of it too!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i haven't played any of the eidos exes :shrug:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Doc Hawkins posted:

You’re missing out; they’re both excellent games and I hold Human Revolution in the same high regard as DX1.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Doc Hawkins posted:

You should, they're great.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
they're worth a run taking into account that you're never getting an end to the plot.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Doc Hawkins posted:

I played the first one on release (before Directors Cut, without The Missing Link). It was fine for the most part and complete poop from a butt in others. I believe the Director's Cut fixed some of the worst of it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Doc Hawkins posted:

Read this as "eidos execs" and that significantly changed the tone of the following conversation

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

uber_stoat posted:

they're worth a run taking into account that you're never getting an end to the plot.

I mean, technically we have gotten an end to the plot, because they're prequels. We're just never getting a definitive end to Adam Jensen's story.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Magnetic North posted:

I played the first one on release (before Directors Cut, without The Missing Link). It was fine for the most part and complete poop from a butt in others. I believe the Director's Cut fixed some of the worst of it.

I don’t even think the poop from a butt stuff was guaranteed, the worst of it was running into a boss that your play style wasn’t good for. Miserable if it happens but if it doesn’t, ok. The DC definitely fixed that (though it caused some other issues by forcing you to play Missing Link)

E:And removing the piss filter. At least make it an option!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
It's a pity Deux Ex: The Fall was such a mess because I vaguely remember the plot being quite good, although even more blatantly unfinished.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
That was the mobile game that got a halfassed pc port, right?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah. The plot was unfinished because it was a lead-in to one of the novels.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

The Missing Link was one of the most pointless, filler wastes of time I've seen in DLC and I didn't like how it was shoehorned into the main story. Annoying as hell too since you lose all your augments. If there was an option to skip, that would've been nice.

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

Buy me Bonestorm or go to Hell!

Grimthwacker posted:

The Missing Link was one of the most pointless, filler wastes of time I've seen in DLC and I didn't like how it was shoehorned into the main story. Annoying as hell too since you lose all your augments. If there was an option to skip, that would've been nice.

I liked it fine on its own as standalone DLC as it was originally released, but it really grinds the game to a halt in the Director’s Cut.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I enjoyed it. Once.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I thought the end fight in Missing Link was pretty good. (I’m that guy who saves just before a big fight and then plays it 5-10 times trying to do it “perfect”. My FEAR save folder must be massive at this point.)

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Does Mankind Divided give you the warning that you can't go back to an area when you're entering a new one? And that all side missions will be cancelled? I just got done with the first visit to TF29.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Grimthwacker posted:

Does Mankind Divided give you the warning that you can't go back to an area when you're entering a new one? And that all side missions will be cancelled? I just got done with the first visit to TF29.

Don't remember but there's only one city hub in the game.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That was the mobile game that got a halfassed pc port, right?

It's a pity because the writing and level design is solid Deus Ex stuff, and Panama City is a good hub. Too bad there is no way to experience it that doesn't suck. If they hadn't insisted on this asinine idea of making it for mobile platforms, we could have had another good Deus Ex game. They could have made something like Hitman: Go for mobile instead.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SimonChris posted:

They could have made something like Hitman: Go for mobile instead.

They did that too, actually. It was pretty good!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They did that too, actually. It was pretty good!

Wow, that actually looks good, and ... it's being removed tomorrow, even if you already bought it. I guess I could play it for one day...

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

SimonChris posted:

Wow, that actually looks good, and ... it's being removed tomorrow, even if you already bought it. I guess I could play it for one day...

That's from 2022 unfortunately. It's been gone for a long time now.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Embracer is starting to look like a worse custodian of IP than the insurance company that owned System Shock for a couple decades.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gadzuko posted:

That's from 2022 unfortunately. It's been gone for a long time now.

It was removed from the app store in November 2022, but current owners will lose access January 4th 2023.

Edit: gently caress, it's 2024 now! drat, time flies.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

SimonChris posted:

It was removed from the app store in November 2022, but current owners will lose access January 4th 2023.

Edit: gently caress, it's 2024 now! drat, time flies.

It's also February lol

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gadzuko posted:

It's also February lol

Right... I should probably go to bed soon.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I don't want to poo poo over Revision but I could have done without this addition to the Paris catacombs:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

By popular demand posted:

I don't want to poo poo over Revision but I could have done without this addition to the Paris catacombs:

Revision is bad but now also nazi

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I appreciate someone in Mankind Divided using the word "Jensen" as a noun. I do that a lot, actually.

What I don't appreciate is people hounding me to do main objective stuff through Infolink. I don't want to rush, I want to take my time and explore!

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did you mean verb?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Despite the Catacombs Surprise™ I finished Revision and while the added map content was interesting to explore I can definitely say it's very much overindulgent.
As for the included gameplay mod, I tried all of them and only liked the Human Revolution inspired one.
Though one of the others had a feature giving you XP for flushing stagnant toilets which was fun for an hour.

Now I'm playing GMDX which I find much more caring in it's approach.
And the gunplay feels more solid.
Pity it's missing some of the QOL additions like auto-reject items.

I'll get to Malkavian after, probably.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

brap posted:

Did you mean verb?

Goddammit, I'm not thinking correctly.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_COWXkW2BI

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

played through most of GMDX and my impressions are that most fixes and tweaks are rather good but here are some qualifiers for whoever want to try it:
1. the modders locked down just about every storage container and a whole shitload of them are also indestructible, maxing out the lockpicking skill is recommended.
2. explosives are quite restricted in quantity, stock up.
2a. GEP guns in particular are not to be found right from the midgame to the last act so you may want to always have one around.
3. after maxing out the rifle skill and modding the assault rifle to maximum damage I conclusively conclude it just isn't worth it: enemies just soak it up. keep the mods for the more useful weapons.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The DX assault rifle being some sort of neck massager has always been so idiosyncratic, I can only imagine they made it so bad because it was the primary weapon used vs the player (and the player got no special resistance to it). Either that, or they just thought that shooting people by holding down LMB was dull and wanted the players to use rockets and swords and stuff?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Serephina posted:

The DX assault rifle being some sort of neck massager has always been so idiosyncratic, I can only imagine they made it so bad because it was the primary weapon used vs the player (and the player got no special resistance to it). Either that, or they just thought that shooting people by holding down LMB was dull and wanted the players to use rockets and swords and stuff?

I dunno, I always thought the assault rifle in vanilla was enough to get the job done, once you have one or two levels in rifles. The alt-fire grenades are super sweet, although you won't find many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I might do a sniper rifle playthrough this time (GMDX). I've never used it, that weapon's consistently useful all through the game, right?