Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

A Fancy Hat posted:

A ton of Argento movies hit Shudder, I'm going to check out that documentary tonight but I attempted to revisit Dracula 3D over my lunch break.

It's so bad. It feels like it's a joke that the viewer hasn't been let in on or something. It looks cheap, some of the acting is horrendous, the CGI is about as bad as you'll ever find, and the music is so loving cheesy and not in a fun way. Not even Rutger Hauer can save this thing.

Yea I'm a big Dracula guy, I seek out every Dracula I can possibly find. I keep going back to Argento's Dracula in hopes that I'll find a different perspective on it or discover some elements of it that are worthwhile but it really is a pile of crap. I've watched it 3 times I think(and one of those times I quit halfway through).

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Halloween 5 loving sucks but I can't help but love Donald Pleasance's performance.

COOKIE WOMAN?!

The movie isn't good but I watch it anyway because it has one of my favorite Pleasance/Michael scenes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhFz3wQPIb8

I just love the way he says "goddamn you..."

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CelticPredator posted:

This is correct

That movie looks like loving poo poo. How did that get made? Who funded it?

gotta wash drug money somehow.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm about 20 minutes into the Argento documentary. I like that Guillermo del Toro and Gaspar Noe are among the interviewees, and if nothing else I hope that gets more people to check out Noe's Vortex starring Argento

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

John Yossarian posted:

I was on Tubi today and I noticed so many Amityville movies that I've never heard of. There was one movie set in space I think, I didn't watch it because it looked really bad. I honestly didn't know that they were so many movies based on it.

Having done the Amityville franchise for the movie challenges and reading up on all the behind the scenes stuff, it boils down to George Lutz was a litigious and greedy sob, and movie studios can be incredibly petty.

Pretty much George wanted to market the poo poo out of Amityville Horror. He was even thinking toys and board games level of run this poo poo into the ground. This also meant he was determined to have his fingers in all the pies possible. He was pissed that the studio was making a sequel and that he wasn't a part of it. So he sued and this is why the sequel's Amityville II and not Amityville Horror II because the courts ruled that George only could lay claim to the title Amityville Horror. From there, the studios just kept cranking out films under the Amityville title or rebranding films that hadn't been too successful under their original title into the Amityville franchise to squeeze a few more bucks out of things. This, of course pissed George off more since as far as he was concerned, the studios were stealing money from him and at one point he tried to claim rights to the name Amityville despite the actual town, y'know, existing before he was born.

So, there's actually very few of the films in the franchise that are connected to the original story or the real DeFeo murders, everything else kinda tries to mention the name Amityville somewhere and calls it good. Case in point, Amityville Vibrator.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Amityville is a real town on Long Island and the murders actually happened. The only thing Lutz owned was his own ghost story and the name "Amityville Horror" It's also why they went with a "prequel" of sorts for Amityville II, which then had it's own set of problems when they had to change the name of the DeFeos and a few other details because they were portraying a family of murder victims as incestuous rapists.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Amityville II is totally bizarre

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

A Fancy Hat posted:

A ton of Argento movies hit Shudder, I'm going to check out that documentary tonight but I attempted to revisit Dracula 3D over my lunch break.

It's so bad. It feels like it's a joke that the viewer hasn't been let in on or something. It looks cheap, some of the acting is horrendous, the CGI is about as bad as you'll ever find, and the music is so loving cheesy and not in a fun way. Not even Rutger Hauer can save this thing.

Speaking of Rutger Hauer, on a whim decided to watch The Hitcher last night, that movie rules, almost entirely down to him.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Halloween 5 loving sucks but I can't help but love Donald Pleasance's performance.

COOKIE WOMAN?!

Halloween 5 was the first Halloween I saw as a child and my soft spot for it comes entirely from this sequence.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Longlegs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48wg-_VzD04

Day one

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Amityville is a real town on Long Island and the murders actually happened. The only thing Lutz owned was his own ghost story and the name "Amityville Horror" It's also why they went with a "prequel" of sorts for Amityville II, which then had it's own set of problems when they had to change the name of the DeFeos and a few other details because they were portraying a family of murder victims as incestuous rapists.

Wow, guess I'm not showing you the script I'm working on.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I still have no idea what the gently caress this is about but hell yeah

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Opopanax posted:

I still have no idea what the gently caress this is about but hell yeah

From what I understand, Maika Monroe is (very basic plot overview) a cop investigating a serial killer played by Nicolas Cage.

So yea....hard to put together a sentence that would get me more interested in a horror movie than that.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Basebf555 posted:

From what I understand, Maika Monroe is (very basic plot overview) a cop investigating a serial killer played by Nicolas Cage.

So yea....hard to put together a sentence that would get me more interested in a horror movie than that.

"...and John Carpenter comes out of retirement to direct."

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just watched Studio 666, it was pretty fun, was John Carpenter playing himself or just doing a cameo as an audio engineer?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

If I were to watch a single classic Hammer flick, which would it be?

Dracula/Horror of Dracula?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Zwabu posted:

No way, all the FRANKENSTEIN movies.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

ruddiger posted:

Just watched Studio 666, it was pretty fun, was John Carpenter playing himself or just doing a cameo as an audio engineer?

he was playing the engineer.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Zwabu posted:

I mean honestly I'd say Horror of Dracula

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Zwabu posted:

I'm fond of The Devil Rides Out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you're gonna watch one Hammer movie it might as well have the unholy trinity(Cushing/Lee/Fisher). So that means Horror of Dracula, Curse of Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Gorgon, and The Hound of the Baskervilles.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Thanks for the recs. I would be inclined to go with The Devil Rides Out just based on the name, but I don't see it for stream anyplace right now. Since I'm more of a Dracula guy I think I'll start with Horror of Dracula, although I have heard from other sources that the Frankenstein ones are the best.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

The Frankenstein series is better overall but Horror of Dracula is still Hammer at the top of their game and you can't go wrong with either it or Curse of Frankenstein. I like most of the other Dracula entries a lot but the only other one I'd say is really good is Brides of Dracula.

I wish The Devil Rides Out was more readily available because it's also one of their best.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea the rights to The Devil Rides Out must be a problem because a few years ago I tried to record it on Youtube TV but it wouldn't let me because it said they didn't have the rights to it.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

My only complaint about HotC is that I wanted more creepy poo poo. One of the early scares with the all-black figure with the pinpoint eyes was awesome, and I wanted to see more of him, and there wasn't much more. Don't show me neat things to get me all curious and then cut me off, dawg, I need them spoops!

What was that thing anyway? I should re-watch it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I feel like if you are going to watch one horror film from Hammer then it has to have Cushing, Lee, Fisher and agree with the post that said of those 3. I don't recommend Curse of Frankenstein because Lee doesn't have much dialogue, but he does not have any dialogue in Dracula either.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Panico, the Argento doc on Shudder, is pretty drat good.

This might be a personal thing since I’m from Pittsburgh but I was a little bummed we got nothing about Argento and Romero’s friendship and collaborations. But otherwise it’s a pretty nice (but far from exhaustive) look back at his career’s highs and lows.

One kinda slight warning thing; Asia Argento recounts filming a sex scene for Phantom of the Opera and it weirded me out pretty bad. Normally I’m not bothered by much but I think she has a kinda hosed up view of her father and it definitely made itself known at that point. Just skip those 5 min or whatever.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

She groomed a minor so yeah I can buy that

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

This is a public service announcement : Season 4 of True Detective is 100% horror. The other seasons flirted with it or maybe your horror-genre tent is big enough to contain them, but season 4 is from the jump a horror.

You know how I’m always talking about how my most beloved little sub-genre is a spooky investigative mystery of some really hosed up poo poo with a bunch of great actors? Yeah. The only way it isn’t perfectly aimed at me is that it’s not a period piece, and even I don’t need that all the time. Jodie Foster is loving phenomenal as always and is nailing some real complex and specific tones. John Hawkes has done his usual wizardry where he reveals he’s always been a [whatever the hell you need], and you think of course John Hawkes has always been like that. The setting clicks, the actual horror is compelling, complex characters, they’re playing with a lot of good themes : I’m totally hooked.

I’m only two episodes in, planning to dole them out in little chunks, but this is season 1 levels of good so far. At least to me. I admit it might have been made specifically for me.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I still need to watch S3 at some point

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

They are unconnected. Skip ahead.

Although yeah, it’s pretty loving solid in its own right.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
It's alright. The writing is kind of ponderous and they haven't done a great job fleshing out the town or characters yet. The thread on it in TV/IV is all over the place liking it or condemning it. It's definitely horror and has an interesting first episode hook the corpseburg. The actors are doing well with what they're given. Going to wait for it all to come out before judging it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

jodie foster is also so fun to watch and there's heaps of The Thing callouts, it's a wild fun time

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Just popping in to say that Neon has been absolutely killing it with the marketing of this so far. Every one of the little 30 second teasers they've released and the awesome posters have got me so hyped.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Circling back, this looks good. Curious about the story though. I like the guy, but story structure isn’t really his strong suit, so I’m curious what he does with this.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Great imagery. neon really lucked out on a great looking picture for a trailer. I hope the entire production is good.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Yeah, sorry. Perkins’ imagery is always so brooding and stark and yummy I was sort of taking it as a given.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Like I said I think Neon lucked out, but I can’t help but feel a bit of “Gabbo Gabbo Gabbo!” When I see this much great advertising material (especially coming from the game industry where you want to pull all the tricks in the promotional materials just to get those early sales even if they’re not indicative of the final product. All parties involved I hope it’s good. That’s a lot of talent right there.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the marketing is great but really you put Cage and Maika M in anything horror and I'll watch the hell out of it regardless

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Maybe falling asleep while watching Videodrome wasn’t the smartest idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
Condolences on feeling weird when you look at VHS machines now.