Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
Whenever Herm Edwards's not getting an interview, all the other posters should be asking, "where's Hermie?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
White Hot Hermie

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Is there a brief, non-paywall rundown of all the poo poo that went down at ASU while he was there? I remember it starting with him describing himself as a CEO coach and it ending in scandal, but don't really know what happened

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Simplex posted:

Is there a brief, non-paywall rundown of all the poo poo that went down at ASU while he was there? I remember it starting with him describing himself as a CEO coach and it ending in scandal, but don't really know what happened

I don't have time to go through all of that right now (which is a lot) but I will note that one of the first things that happened after he was hired was that he didn't know how modern jerseys worked and thought something was wrong at first. He looked at one and didn't realize they stretched.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/wrongopinionman/status/1753434959421817158?t=Fa8ci7-9_Vy2kWkMEkyClg&s=19

Sloppy seconds Washington.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Florio reporting. Comedy, regardless.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

For those not in the southeast, Evangelicals are notorious for hiring other Evangelicals or only keeping company with others etc . No reason for me mentioning this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8qzAH03P0w

also christ Idzik sounds like a dumbass.

lol he was a loving get back coach in 2021 shoot me.

Coldforge posted:

Florio reporting. Comedy, regardless.

If there's any team he actually has sources with it's the Redskins. that was how he got his start. Rampant speculation about 31 teams, racist and incendiary commentary on other articles, and very accurate poo poo about the Bruce Allen era Redskins because everyone hated that guy so much.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 2, 2024

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

FizFashizzle posted:

For those not in the southeast, Evangelicals are notorious for hiring other Evangelicals or only keeping company with others etc . No reason for me mentioning this.

Panthers to hire Easterby confirmed.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mega64 posted:

Panthers to hire Easterby confirmed.

If Easterby gets himself shadow GM of another franchise just give him the job dude has earned it

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8qzAH03P0w

also christ Idzik sounds like a dumbass.

lol he was a loving get back coach in 2021 shoot me.

If there's any team he actually has sources with it's the Redskins. that was how he got his start. Rampant speculation about 31 teams, racist and incendiary commentary on other articles, and very accurate poo poo about the Bruce Allen era Redskins because everyone hated that guy so much.

They have like 7 years working together from their time in seattle and tampa, he's not calling plays and he'll be on the same page as Canales. Last year Brown and Reich couldn't agree on philosophy, alignment, personnel, who should call plays, who should start, how the line should block and the list goes on.

You take a coaching team of midwits that works together and it'll be better than a team of geniuses who can't agree on a single thing.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

this is coming from someone who insisted the commanders were targeting belichick hard

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/1753510014642233352?t=-IKxkhSxRV77oZfz1JK8bw&s=19

:thunk:

if it's true, quite the meteoric rise

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1753552722630971624

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Ok

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

It's like the raiders are stocking up on spare HC's for the inevitable.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Lowkey, he's an insane coach. He wanted to keep his family in Baltimore instead of dealing with us drunk cheeseheads. And I get it. Fortunately for us, Jeff Hafley is the anti-Joe Barry.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Sure why not

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/1753565575673004449

I'm not sure about the source here, I'm a little bit skeptical of the Dolphins hiring an DL coach to run DC.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde

Is this good? I honestly don't know

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

Is this good? I honestly don't know

It’s a veteran presence to help a first time head coach find his footing, so yes, it’s probably a good thing. Frazier isn’t known as a tremendous rear end in a top hat or anything.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Ravens staff has just gotten raided to hell this offseason

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Lowkey, he's an insane coach. He wanted to keep his family in Baltimore instead of dealing with us drunk cheeseheads. And I get it. Fortunately for us, Jeff Hafley is the anti-Joe Barry.

Speaking as someone who lived in Green Bay for a year and Baltimore for a year, I'd choose Baltimore every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Hamhandler posted:

https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/1753565575673004449

I'm not sure about the source here, I'm a little bit skeptical of the Dolphins hiring an DL coach to run DC.

I think this is legit, the best Ravens beat guy has been saying that he might be hired by the Dolphins because, besides the good job Weaver done this season, he's friends with McDaniel. he was in the mix for Commanders HC but they went with Quinn and Orr was promoted instead of him, so it seems very believable

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s a veteran presence to help a first time head coach find his footing, so yes, it’s probably a good thing. Frazier isn’t known as a tremendous rear end in a top hat or anything.

Yeah it's this. Same reason McVay brought in Wade Phillips when he first started.

Macdonald has already confirmed that he's calling defensive plays so "assistant head coach" is about as ceremonial as it gets.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Panthers retaining evero.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Benne posted:

Yeah it's this. Same reason McVay brought in Wade Phillips when he first started.

Macdonald has already confirmed that he's calling defensive plays so "assistant head coach" is about as ceremonial as it gets.

I mean, there's a fuckload of work as a head coach beyond the gameday, so a veteren presence to help manage that workload as a new HC makes sense.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Benne posted:

IMO it makes a lot of sense for fast-rising coordinators who become coaches to bring on an AHC and delegate a lot of day-to-day "basic" HC stuff to them for at least the first year.

The coordinator was hired based off of their talents on one side of the ball or another, and now they'll want to install that system in a brand new organization with likely an entirely new set of players, barring FAs and trades.

But if they're a first-time HC then there's all sorts of responsibilities and expectations which they'll be onboarding that first summer. Seems like a situation likely to result in them having to either stumble a bit on the HC side of things, or end up feeling dissatisfied with the time and dedication they were able to put into implementing the system or approach or organizational mentality which raised their profile in the first place.

With an AHC, they'll have a guy who's both a subordinate and an experienced mentor, who can advise them on which small parts of being an HC they must make their own immediately, and which they can pick up over time via osmosis and general experience within the org.

Managing the on-field football concepts, on-field player vibes, off-field football analysis, and off-field player relationships are all separate challenged, and I'd posit that the one which has historically been overlooked (or recognized as needed but prioritized last) is the ever-vague 'managing of people and their needs, wants, fears, etc'.

IMO it's ideal to experience being a worker for a bunch of different types during the early years, so you have a varied bag of tricks when it's your turn to steer the ship. Otherwise, fast-risers risk having too few models to refer to, and end up acting like inferior clones of the person or persons they drew the greatest inspiration from (hello belichick coaching tree).

It also is a more appealing pitch to GMs I wager. Experienced veterans have a ceiling but there's also a knowledge that they won't* totally gently caress up (* - Urban and Reich did their best to wreck that truism though). So if a young hotshot says they'll be seeking the best grizzled coach seeking a less intensive job that plays to their strengths as a coach, it's like best of both worlds... so long as those worlds can co-exist (hi reich) and adjust as the young coach takes on additional responsibilities and the AHC becomes less of an essential part of the coaching infrastructure.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
PAAAAWWWWLLLLL

https://twitter.com/SeahawksForever/status/1753572280679211370?s=20

ninjaedit: this is obviously pretty shaky evidence! but there's a lot of smoke around Grubb

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Saints got the other KK.

https://x.com/AdamSchefter/status/1753503245257896091?s=20

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

shirts and skins posted:

PAAAAWWWWLLLLL

ninjaedit: this is obviously pretty shaky evidence! but there's a lot of smoke around Grubb

My sources got sources

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde

shirts and skins posted:

PAAAAWWWWLLLLL

This would be great on multiple levels

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

kalensc posted:

IMO it makes a lot of sense for fast-rising coordinators who become coaches to bring on an AHC and delegate a lot of day-to-day "basic" HC stuff to them for at least the first year.

The coordinator was hired based off of their talents on one side of the ball or another, and now they'll want to install that system in a brand new organization with likely an entirely new set of players, barring FAs and trades.

But if they're a first-time HC then there's all sorts of responsibilities and expectations which they'll be onboarding that first summer. Seems like a situation likely to result in them having to either stumble a bit on the HC side of things, or end up feeling dissatisfied with the time and dedication they were able to put into implementing the system or approach or organizational mentality which raised their profile in the first place.

With an AHC, they'll have a guy who's both a subordinate and an experienced mentor, who can advise them on which small parts of being an HC they must make their own immediately, and which they can pick up over time via osmosis and general experience within the org.

Managing the on-field football concepts, on-field player vibes, off-field football analysis, and off-field player relationships are all separate challenged, and I'd posit that the one which has historically been overlooked (or recognized as needed but prioritized last) is the ever-vague 'managing of people and their needs, wants, fears, etc'.

IMO it's ideal to experience being a worker for a bunch of different types during the early years, so you have a varied bag of tricks when it's your turn to steer the ship. Otherwise, fast-risers risk having too few models to refer to, and end up acting like inferior clones of the person or persons they drew the greatest inspiration from (hello belichick coaching tree).

It also is a more appealing pitch to GMs I wager. Experienced veterans have a ceiling but there's also a knowledge that they won't* totally gently caress up (* - Urban and Reich did their best to wreck that truism though). So if a young hotshot says they'll be seeking the best grizzled coach seeking a less intensive job that plays to their strengths as a coach, it's like best of both worlds... so long as those worlds can co-exist (hi reich) and adjust as the young coach takes on additional responsibilities and the AHC becomes less of an essential part of the coaching infrastructure.

What you said was all good and correct, but also, it's just a good show of humility for the first-time HC. He's showing that he won't just barge in acting like he already knows everything and isn't gonna big-time the players, which makes for a healthy work environment, looks good to the media, and might even help keep some players who were looking to bail post-Pete.

It bodes well for Macdonald's staff assembly that this is the first hire he makes. Frazier is well-respected and has connections all around the league, so that will be a big plus for anyone they're trying to recruit. To go back to the McVay example, how much did it help having Wade sitting next to him when he was building his killer staff? It definitely wasn't zero.

I'm excited! This could work!

Benne fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 3, 2024

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Joe Judge brought in Jason Garrett to really add experience to the coaching staff and it was just a great move all around

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Febreeze posted:

Joe Judge brought in Jason Garrett to really add experience to the coaching staff and it was just a great move all around

Hahaha, how far our franchises have fallen.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
Matt LaFleur and Kevin O'Connell both had Mike Pettine around early. Dan Campbell had Dom Capers. Steichen has Gus Bradley.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I was entirely happy when Frazier left Buffalo; it was clear his defence had a ceiling that wasn't good enough for the best teams playing their best football in the playoffs. But he did build a defence that had the fundamentals to be reliable (in pts allowed, his defence was 18th-15th-2nd-16th-1st-2nd over his six years). I believe his strength is probably on the leadership and coaching side, so could be good at the mentoring role that assistant hc will probably be.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Feb 3, 2024

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

https://twitter.com/Seahawks/status/1753601570493591775?t=2HXW4t4_edvrZxNRpoW9oQ&s=19

:qq:

Seattle got a real one

also lol at "Seahawks Nation", Roquan owns

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Ravens gonna draft out of their minds this year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Mostly stuff we already know (Bill wants roster control, teams don't want to give it to him, etc).

https://theathletic.com/5244873/2024/02/02/bill-belichick-nfl-coaching-falcons-patriots/

But this line made me laugh:

quote:

Sources with multiple teams that just hired new head coaches expressed varying degrees of relief Belichick wasn’t joining their team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

https://x.com/schultz_report/status/1753835889334075637?s=46