Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

repiv posted:

when are they going to free yoko taro from the gacha mines and let him make a real game again

Never

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

When he can make more sexy women like 2b

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

repiv posted:

when are they going to free yoko taro from the gacha mines and let him make a real game again

He will only leave when they stop paying him.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Bro is doing the nier orchestra international circuit adding new story and lore content to their performance, he's living his best life

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Harvester : it is all pointless, and the ending of this game would be replicated nearly bit for bit by Neil gaiman in his short story for a matrix movie anthology (that really exists).

goddamn really

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Impermanent posted:

spec ops is just gaming's version of funny games and its very funny that people melt down about its heavy handed and extremely obvious critique because they have post traumatic jack thompson disorder. you don't have to like what something is saying for it to be saying something

I haven't played Spec Ops: The Line (I do have it on Steam), but I think the issue with it isn't that people don't get what it's saying, or are mad that it's trying to make a statement. The general sentiment I've seen about it is that it tries to be smarter and deeper than it actually is, and people think the game sucks because it disappears up its own rear end.

I remember someone held up Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days as an alternative (albeit not a direct one) to Spec Ops: The Line. The argument was that the design of K&L2 was (and I don't it was wholly intentional) done in such a way that the whole experience of the game is meant to be miserable: not just in terms of the content, but in how it's depicted (in that it uses a handheld shaky cam perspective with bad image quality and pixelization, etc.)

Again, I've also not played K&L2, but the gist I got from it was that Spec Ops: The Line is game that goes, 'this is bad, and you should feel bad', whereas K&L2 just makes you feel bad, if that makes sense.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

K&L2 is one of the most aggressively ugly and vile feeling games I have played. It is all intentional and well executed but it's the closest a game came to make me feel gross for playing it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Harvester : it is all pointless, and the ending of this game would be replicated nearly bit for bit by Neil gaiman in his short story for a matrix movie anthology (that really exists).

What?

https://matrix.fandom.com/wiki/Goliath#Story posted:

In an unknown date in the Real World, an alien spaceship attacked the Machine-controlled Earth by hurling asteroids at the planet. One of these asteroids struck a central processing unit in London and killed the 200,000 people it contained. The explosion briefly disconnected London from the Matrix and allowed an unnamed man to have a redpill experience, conversing with some sort of Agent-like program during the disconnection, and slightly learning some truths about the Matrix. Upon reconnecting to the Matrix, the man started to experience a Déjà vu. In fact, the man increasingly experienced it as the invasion of the Real World waged on and, at some point, he even replayed years of his life instead of just moments or days. He would later learn, from the same Agent, that he had been living in an overclocked Matrix and that only minutes have passed in the Real World in the years that had gone by in the Matrix.

The Machines retaliated by producing a spacecraft to destroy the aliens, which the man learned to fly in his latest reincarnation as a pilot. He was soon woken up from the Matrix, given the spacecraft, and ordered to destroy the alien ship. He completed his mission only to be told that there was no return to Earth. Granting his final request and on his final hour, he was reconnected to the Matrix, allowing him to live out fifteen more years of a simulated but happy life.

I mean, I guess that sounds vaguely similar to the bad ending of Harvester.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sydin posted:

SpecOps is absolutely trying to judge the player imo, but yeah agree with you that if that is the case then it's trite and I don't particularly feel bad about the "bad" things the characters I control do in video games.

I can capitulate that it maybe probably does want you to think about the genre and maybe the U.S. military complex and how it's represented a bit critically but I cannot whole heartedly say that the game is calling you, a human born 51 or less years ago, a monster for playing a game in which Richard Pearsey and Walt Williams depict captain Martin Walker suffering a mental breakdown after killing possibly hundreds of innocent civilians and inventing a monster behind everything to justify his actions.

But I also really think a 60$ third person shooter is not the place to get a real deep dive into how the military is a blight on the planet and needs to be dismantled.

CelticPredator posted:

I think people just don’t like being told what they are for playing a silly game

I'm starting to get the impression that large segment of gamers do in fact want to be called a horrendous dogshit failure of a human being considering how often they keep jumping out to try and twist as many games into telling them they're a plague on humanity.

Max Wilco posted:

I haven't played Spec Ops: The Line (I do have it on Steam), but I think the issue with it isn't that people don't get what it's saying, or are mad that it's trying to make a statement. The general sentiment I've seen about it is that it tries to be smarter and deeper than it actually is, and people think the game sucks because it disappears up its own rear end.

I remember someone held up Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days as an alternative (albeit not a direct one) to Spec Ops: The Line. The argument was that the design of K&L2 was (and I don't it was wholly intentional) done in such a way that the whole experience of the game is meant to be miserable: not just in terms of the content, but in how it's depicted (in that it uses a handheld shaky cam perspective with bad image quality and pixelization, etc.)

Again, I've also not played K&L2, but the gist I got from it was that Spec Ops: The Line is game that goes, 'this is bad, and you should feel bad', whereas K&L2 just makes you feel bad, if that makes sense.

You know, there's something really funny about that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76wEMo6ZTd4&t=1534s

Spaced God posted:

Can a creator please do something so we don't have to keep talking about video games

F.D Signifier's been having a blast playing Tekken 8 so far

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I was being facetious but the matrix story gaiman wrote featured a main character who was awaken by the machines to kill a bunch of rebels on a mission he suspected was suicidal but confirmed once it was done. It ended with the machines granting him the reward of living the last minutes of his life in a simulated space at a dilated speed that felt like a whole lifetime. In harvester, Choosing not to kill your "neighbour's daughter" will have the Ai simulation put you in a "nice and happy life" that is at a dilated speed when they were executing you in real life . I'm pretty sure it was a coincidence but I remember reading the gaiman story in a bookstore just after finishing reading a harvester lp and being thoroughly bugged out

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Endorph posted:

like if instead of a cool boss fight the genocide route just dumped you in an endless room with 500 generic enemies and then when you got to the end this repeated and then you had to do this 1000 times and then the game ended id buy these arguments.

The sequel to Katamari Damacy was kinda like that: the creator was given the "make one or we will for you" ultimatum so the final challenge is just rolling around to collect 1,000,000 roses on a circular track while the King pops in periodically to ask if you'd rather go outside instead or such.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

You always were a kidder, saddest rhino

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Spaced God posted:

You always were a kidder, saddest rhino

loving beat me to it!!!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Harvester does certainly have some interesting ideas even as it's really bad at getting them over. For more on this, watch Grimbeard's review and join the Goth Gamer Nation.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Harvester is a masterpiece, and I will not tolerate slander of it. :colbert: Also, Gilbert Austin should sue Neil Gaiman for stealing his ending.

I am also being facetious, but I do think Harvester is good.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Harvester knows what it wants to be and goes for it. It's thematically and artistically coherent and has some good horror content buried within. I think the actual execution is pretty uneven and could use polish but as weird little horror adventure games go you could do a lot worse.

Compare Darkseed 2, which is dealing in a lot of the same horror archetypes and the same genre of gameplay but is just miserable and uninteresting.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 3, 2024

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I was being facetious but the matrix story gaiman wrote featured a main character who was awaken by the machines to kill a bunch of rebels on a mission he suspected was suicidal but confirmed once it was done. It ended with the machines granting him the reward of living the last minutes of his life in a simulated space at a dilated speed that felt like a whole lifetime. In harvester, Choosing not to kill your "neighbour's daughter" will have the Ai simulation put you in a "nice and happy life" that is at a dilated speed when they were executing you in real life . I'm pretty sure it was a coincidence but I remember reading the gaiman story in a bookstore just after finishing reading a harvester lp and being thoroughly bugged out
they're just both an occurrence at owl creek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAoC8svYXts

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

mycatscrimes posted:

Compare Darkseed 2, which is dealing in a lot of the same horror archetypes and the same genre of gameplay but is just miserable and uninteresting.

Ehhhhhh...

You missed pal!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JIfxSaMmgI&t=41s

Mother: Was it...suicide?
Sheriff: Never heard of anyone pulling their own spinal cord out before. Off the record, I'd have to say no. No, all in all, I'd say this was death by natural causes.
Steve: "Natural causes?!"
Sheriff: Ya can't live without a spinal cord, son. Nothing unnatural about that.
Think I will have some more pie!

That "you can't live without a spinal cord, nothing unnatural about that" has to be one of the greatest lines in any video game.

Dawgstar posted:

Harvester does certainly have some interesting ideas even as it's really bad at getting them over. For more on this, watch Grimbeard's review and join the Goth Gamer Nation.

It was pretty good, thanks for suggesting it.

mycatscrimes posted:

Harvester knows what it wants to be and goes for it. It's thematically and artistically coherent and has some good horror content buried within. I think the actual execution is pretty uneven and could use polish but as weird little horror adventure games go you could do a lot worse.

I remember slowbeeef commenting he interviewed the writer of DS2 who said, yes, he was influenced by Lynch while writing it. Both Darkseed 2 and Harvester seem to want to do this "mundane horror" thing where the horror is everything happening behind the face of a simple, normal town. Only Harvester does this with...I'd say a wink-and-a-nudge but it's far, far too blatant for that. Meanwhile, Darksed 2 actually is "mundane" to the point of mindless tedium. Mike and the town he lives in both feel very "realistic" in the sense they are boring as gently caress. Any comedy in it feels unintentional, while Harvester is clearly intended to be very silly.

I guess Mike is an actual character and not a bland stand-in for the player like Steve is, but I'm not sure if this is to his credit as he's the most inept, whiny, and un-heroic protagonist I know of that isn't a straight-up antihero or villain protagonist.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

mycatscrimes posted:

You leave Mike Dawson alone! He showed great courage.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mycatscrimes posted:

The game would be beautiful if it's flesh wasn't decayed...

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

RareAcumen posted:

But I also really think a 60$ third person shooter is not the place to get a real deep dive into how the military is a blight on the planet and needs to be dismantled.

Pretty much, yeah. It's not that I actually disagree with what Spec Ops was trying to say, I just think they chose a dogshit way to say it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycatscrimes posted:

darkseed 2 is one of the best games ever made (accidentally)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

not the hall of death! the only way out of here is death!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Spec Ops ftw

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Nier automata: it is all pointless, but it is for ourselves to forge our own purpose.

Outer Wilds : it is all pointless, but we create meaning through knowledge and our companions, and the comfort of knowing nothing lasts forever.

Undertale : it is all pointless, but you yourself determine your actions and how they change those around you.

Hades : it is all pointless, but everyone deserves a better chance in life and death, and the cost is worth it.

Pizza tower : it is all pointless, but wait there is apparently lore that peppino is a war veteran with severe ptsd which explains the different game mechanics and retro wave soundtrack of that one level? Pizza is everything.

Death Stranding : it is all pointless, but we cannot allow our self imposed isolation and nihilism consume us, Sam.

Dark seed : it is all pointless, but this will explain everything.

Scorn : it is all pointless. Itchy. Tasty.

Yakuza : it is all pointless. Time for karaoke.

Silent hill 2 : it is all pointless, and you deserve every bad thing you got you loving piece of poo poo.

Sonic series : it is all pointless, but I'll still buy your idiot 3d games because I deserve every bad thing I got I'm a loving piece of poo poo.

Streets of rage 2 : it is all pointless. Only trust your fists.

Spec ops the line : it is all pointless. You are still a good person 🇺🇸

Marathon: It is all pointless, but that's okay because you are %HERO, Destiny 2 tm and Mjolnir Recon 54.

Warhammer 40K (In general I guess, there's a fuckload of games): It is all pointless, Chaos Reigns lol.

Killer7: It is all pointless, everything that happened is part of some endless cyclical loop played out for the fleeting amusement of godlike beings beyond our comprehension.

Cruelty Squad: It is all pointless because we are trapped in a capitalist nightmare and the only escape is to burn it all down and start from scratch.

EYE Divine Cybermancy: It is all pointless because we are trapped in the cycles of guilt and the only escape is to remove ourselves from reality entirely.

Also a book series, not a game series, but gently caress it I've been slowly chewing through 8 books of this poo poo over the last two years
Malazan Book of the Fallen: It is all pointless, but we cannot allow our self imposed ennui and nihilism to consume us, wait what the gently caress did someone just get eaten by a house!?!?

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 3, 2024

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
"This will explain everything!" is pretty amazing lol

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

EYE Divine Cybermancy: It is all pointless because we are trapped in the cycles of guilt and the only escape is to remove ourselves from reality entirely.
IMO this is the only one that earned "turning off the game is the real ending"

And then they patched in a true ending for people who couldn't escape the cycle on their own.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
wh40k sucks

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Max Wilco posted:

I feel like a large portion of the issue with Spec Ops is just that there were two drastically different audiences involved: people who were deep in on the CoD/MW oorah this game makes me feel like I'm doing real soldier cosplay from my couch types, and all the people who heard it had a sick story and/or message and/or twist and it was one of the few-if-only milsim games they ever played so they have no context of how incredibly straight the propaganda is usually played in that genre

I could see it gutpunching the former audience but for everyone else it just comes off as a game where the message is "this is all going to poo poo and the only control you have is turning the game off, that's the game fucko get used to it"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

IMO this is the only one that earned "turning off the game is the real ending"

And then they patched in a true ending for people who couldn't escape the cycle on their own.
it is hard to resist the allure of brozouf

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
All the talk about Spec OPs and COD is reminding me of one of Jacob Geller's better videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtCV421T52s

I've kinda really wanted him to do a redo/retrospective on this topic with the further reboot COD games, because it's gotten so much worse.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

The 7th Guest posted:

it is hard to escape the cycle when your legs are broken

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Crain posted:

All the talk about Spec OPs and COD is reminding me of one of Jacob Geller's better videos:

I've kinda really wanted him to do a redo/retrospective on this topic with the further reboot COD games, because it's gotten so much worse.

Is the answer "Making lots and lots of money"?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Endorph posted:

the genocide route is a condemnation of you the player and anyone who plays it, thats why the games most iconic song that they use in all promo material for the game is exclusive to it, as well as all the games most iconic quotes. weve all played the thing youre bad for playing.

This is the biggest problem with the route, and one that Deltarune FELT like it was going to avoid but looks like it isn't. I can't look at the Genocide Route as other than a thematic failure that makes Undertale feel like a muddled internet project rather than something with a story to tell.

Crain posted:

Oh this! I remember this! There is a major error in it that made me really rethink a whooole lot of things during a time when I was already rethinking a whoooole lot of things.

The Highway of Death that's referenced isn't actually what happened in Iraq at all. They didn't take something the US did, make it worse, and then attribute it to the Russians. What they did is take something Russia did in Chechnya, move it into Syria,(where they did the same poo poo too) and called it the catchy name that everyone in the English Speaking world knows because it was a super big deal when the US obliterated retreating Iraqi military units. I don't know why they did that.
Rather than being a whitewashing of the US military's actions, its confusingly referencing something the Russian military has done a whole bunch of times but calling it a name everyone remembers because it was discussed and debated voraciously for decades.

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 3, 2024

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I've never played Undertale.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Is the answer "Making lots and lots of money"?

Obviously it does but that comes from the multiplayer side of things more than the singleplayer (which is the focus of the video).

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Grondoth posted:

This is the biggest problem with the route, and one that Deltarune FELT like it was going to avoid but looks like it isn't. I can't look at the Genocide Route as other than a thematic failure that makes Undertale feel like a muddled internet project rather than something with a story to tell.

You don't have to play all the way through the genocide route to come to that conclusion. I love Undertale, but it's def a hodgepodge of different ideas sewn together and the seams aren't exactly hidden.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I've never played Undertale.

This forum gave me all the undertale content I’ll ever need via the fan art thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Harvester just felt gross and unpleasant to me, probably like how Kane and Lynch 2 felt to most people who played it.

I think I enjoyed Spec Ops as a straightforward tragedy. If Yaeger wanted me to feel personal guilt for the things Walker did during the game, they should have made him a silent protagonist.

Undertale is Literally Me.