Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1753267177019355550?t=VoqYKm1SfxxZSkwa1Mg7qw&s=19

These Hiya Toys figures are seriously giving SH Monsterarts competition.

It's beautiful :allears:

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

drat, those Classic Media commentaries provide tons of detail that I haven't seen anywhere else. They actually talk about filmmaking and the various people involved and their careers. not inane trivia like "this is the second feature where Mothras eyes are blue"

(they're on YouTube still)

Once again I will recommend Big Action Bills Making of Godzilla videos. He has one for most of the movies in the franchise now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

And Astromonster down. Only Gigan left of the Showa Godzillas, (not counting the stuff for other monsters).

It's interesting to see a Godzilla dub from the era with an actual Hollywood actor in a major role. It's like when you see a B actor as the only pro in a low budget film, and the guy's actually trying. Makes what you think of as the "default" suddenly impressive.

Not that it's too bad a dub, either. Might be allowing for the time, might be just having my standards lowered by GMK's subpar dub, but the characters have clear personality, the emotional beats are usually the right ones for the scene, and in general, it works for the film. And the film works in turn. The human plot has enough going on to keep your attention when monsters aren't fighting on screen, there's some decent plot payoffs, and the monster fights are solid. (Which is good, because you don't get much of them.) It's what you want from a Saturday night 60s science fiction movie, although it's a little short on kaiju carnage for a monster movie.

It also is interesting how much better this is than Destroy All Monsters. Sure, DAM has the bigger cast of monsters and lets them do more, but the human plot is weaker, and there's not that much more kaiju action to make up for it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Some of the dubs done by the likes of AIP were pretty strong, the actors try to sound like the types their characters are and they’d even sometimes get Asian American actors.

After a certain point most of the dubs were the “international” versions done by a studio that’s generally less good. Some of the 70s ones are fun though because it’s the same voices you would hear in dubbed kung fu movies.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Some of the dubs done by the likes of AIP were pretty strong, the actors try to sound like the types their characters are and they’d even sometimes get Asian American actors.

After a certain point most of the dubs were the “international” versions done by a studio that’s generally less good. Some of the 70s ones are fun though because it’s the same voices you would hear in dubbed kung fu movies.

Yeah, there's definitely a gulf between the films that give a poo poo and the films that don't. Speaking of not giving a poo poo, finished Gigan.

It's disappointing, which is the last thing I expected. I knew going in it wasn't top tier, with a lot of reused footage, but I thought in the first scenes that the human plot could be a fun ride with strongly defined characters, some good gags, and a good flow to balance the monster fights. But it fell apart pretty steadily as it went, moving away from the parts that worked to just wind up as a kind of nothing, with no real conclusion beyond defeating the aliens (unlike Astro-Monster, which resolved the romances by tragically killing off the rebelling alien and letting the dweeb inventor score a win to prove himself to his future brother-in-law). The characters basically stop mattering once Godzilla shows beyond assisting with the dumb tower, but Godzilla figured everything else out on his own long before the humans.

One thing that stood out, in a weird way, (beyond how bad and blatant some of the day-for-night stock footage was. I mean, reusing the neck bite from Destroy All Monsters? Really?) was how much better Gigan and Megalon work as a dynamic than Gigan and Ghidorah. Gigan's constantly laughing at his foes, taunting them, trying to fistbump his partner, but Ghidorah is much less chummy in his assholishness. It just feels like he's leaving Gigan hanging, only showing up out of obligation. Meanwhile Megalon has a full on Beavis and Butthead thing going on with Gigan, where Megalon's stupidity bounces well off Gigan just being a petty rear end in a top hat.

So, yeah. Seen the whole of Showa now. Planning to finish Millenium and Heisei before the year's out, as well as the rest of the Gamera films, but this feels like a good start. (Might even watch the anime movies if I feel particularly self-loathing.)

(Edit: On an unrelated note, I found a smallish Japanese poll on favorite non-Godzilla kaiju from a few years back. Interesting to see Anguirus so high. Guess claims that he was only a fan favorite stateside were as full of crap as a lot of other common fandom beliefs.)

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Feb 3, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I do love when Megalon is uncontrolled he just throws weird tantrums, hopping along. Seatopia only had the one monster, okay?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Blumhouse is recruiting Takashi Yamazaki. Among other things, Jason Blum said that G-1 was his favorite movie of the year.

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/godzilla-minus-one-director-jason-blum/

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Blumhouse is recruiting Takashi Yamazaki. Among other things, Jason Blum said that G-1 was his favorite movie of the year.

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/godzilla-minus-one-director-jason-blum/

Please please please please please please let me be watching a Blumhouse movie thinking as I often do about movies "This would be a lot better if Godzilla showed up" and have it actually happen, please Toho, just this once lol

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Neo Rasa posted:

Please please please please please please let me be watching a Blumhouse movie thinking as I often do about movies "This would be a lot better if Godzilla showed up" and have it actually happen, please Toho, just this once lol

I wonder if the best first use of a Blumhouse-Takashi relationship would be for Blumhouse to co-finance a Minus One sequel, assuming he really does have a story in mind for one. If Blumhouse pitches in their typical budget alongside Toho's, you give Takashi a giant leap in capability (maybe even be able to pay his FX workers enough to eat) without either company spending more than they typically would by themselves. Then Blumhouse uses it's promotional and distribution chops to do a proper release in the U.S.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

When's the blu ray coming out, Toho????

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
I'm trying to decide on the weirdest wildest heisei godzilla. is it biollante? is it destoroyah?

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

i feel like desty takes too long before it goes insane

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

chiasaur11 posted:

One thing that stood out, in a weird way, (beyond how bad and blatant some of the day-for-night stock footage was. I mean, reusing the neck bite from Destroy All Monsters? Really?) was how much better Gigan and Megalon work as a dynamic than Gigan and Ghidorah. Gigan's constantly laughing at his foes, taunting them, trying to fistbump his partner, but Ghidorah is much less chummy in his assholishness. It just feels like he's leaving Gigan hanging, only showing up out of obligation. Meanwhile Megalon has a full on Beavis and Butthead thing going on with Gigan, where Megalon's stupidity bounces well off Gigan just being a petty rear end in a top hat.

beautifully said

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

I'm trying to decide on the weirdest wildest heisei godzilla. is it biollante? is it destoroyah?

biollante for sure, the story is so dense and she's a rose/human/godzilla hybrid soul monster

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I'm gonna get so many Godzilla tattoos

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

i feel like desty takes too long before it goes insane

Agreed, it’s biollante.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

hallo spacedog posted:

I'm gonna get so many Godzilla tattoos

I'm in San Francisco, and if you ever are interested, please consider me.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

When's the blu ray coming out, Toho????

really hope that they actually invest into a solid bells-and-whistles release with special features and stuff, instead of just a forgettable dump release like they did for Shin. Unfortunately, Toho has a weird complex about fans in Japan importing American home video releases (instead of paying inflated prices for Japanese home media releases), so I won't hold my breath. Maybe the fact that Minus One was so unexpectedly successful might make them change their ways though. man can dream.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm in San Francisco, and if you ever are interested, please consider me.

These rule, if I can ever get to SF I will definitely let you know

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's cool that Ultraman is still a guy in the suit in 2024, even after the heretics at Toho have made Godzilla full CGI. Although just scrubbing through it on Youtube it seems like it's a bit more focused on beams and superpowers, compared to the Showa series where Ultraman would just do wrestling moves. It's just really funny to see him jump on a monster and just start wailing on him.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Mantis42 posted:

It's cool that Ultraman is still a guy in the suit in 2024, even after the heretics at Toho have made Godzilla full CGI. Although just scrubbing through it on Youtube it seems like it's a bit more focused on beams and superpowers, compared to the Showa series where Ultraman would just do wrestling moves. It's just really funny to see him jump on a monster and just start wailing on him.

I always think of the costume designer or suit builder or whoever in 1966 watching Ultraman drop kick the poo poo out the suit they just spent forever making.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I can live with more modern fight choreography that means seeing less of Ultraman's taint on screen

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That’s half the charm of the show though

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s half the charm of the show though

Ep. 31: Kanchow! Attack the Monster's Gooch!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm just watching episodes that were on fan made recommended lists because there's too much Ultraman. My favorite moments so far include Ultraman committing genocide in his second ever appearance and that time a bunch of children brought a chalk drawing monster to life and Ultraman beat the poo poo out of it while they cried.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Mantis42 posted:

and that time a bunch of children brought a chalk drawing monster to life and Ultraman beat the poo poo out of it while they cried.

that episode rules for psychopathic ultraman

i love og ultraman because of the variety of monsters, some days it's aliens, some days it's dinosaurs, sometimes it's a giant plant or a mummy. ultraseven's good but every single episode is aliens that want to conquer earth.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah I remember looking up the wiki article for some old Ultraman kaiju one time which was pretty much just the giat monster horse that another kaiju villain rode around on and it was just wandering around aimlessly and only wanted to go back home but of course Ultraman beat the ever lovin' poo poo out of it before they sent it on its way

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

lol

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

lol

he's such a violent unrepentant poo poo

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

lol

he's such a violent unrepentant poo poo

He IS a cop

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I have to vent somewhere because I just saw Shin Godzilla and the atomic breath scene is now one of my favorite scenes in any movie.

I think this is also the first Godzilla movie I've purposefully watched, so recs on what to watch next are appreciated. Out of sheer curiosity I've already obtained and plan to watch the 1954 original.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
If you started with Shin, 1954 and Minus One are the obvious next steps. Legendary 2014 Godzilla if you wanna check out the American side of things. If you want to get into the goofier monster-mash stuff, I would just pick whichever villain monster looks coolest to you and jump right in.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The streak of “drat this Godzilla breath attack owns” has been amazing so far. G14 had a great moment, Shin’s was so terrifying and over the top, then Minus One was just monstrous and such a whiplash. As a fan, I always get hype when Godzilla gets to show off, but the Ginza attack was so mean spirited, purposeful in hurting people, and definitive in just how absolute it was in wiping the town, killing tens of thousands it just knocked me on my rear end. To then have a literal ash rain cover everything was just somber as hell.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Honorable mention to Singular Point's breath attack scene. That puppy had some wind-up to it

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Asterite34 posted:

Honorable mention to Singular Point's breath attack scene. That puppy had some wind-up to it

I was going to say that Singular Point had a great breath scene too. I loved that show. It's a shame nothing new seems to be on the horizon for it.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I feel like Singular Point has a lot of moments where it kinda drags or feels unfocused, but it's the kind of show where once you finish it you pretty much forget about that and just remember all the Cool As poo poo stuff that happened.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Still haven't watched Singular Point so I can't say what it's atomic breath is like. Better or worse than the Monster Planet trilogy where he doesn't even breathe, he just generates a laser in front of his face?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Arc Hammer posted:

Still haven't watched Singular Point so I can't say what it's atomic breath is like. Better or worse than the Monster Planet trilogy where he doesn't even breathe, he just generates a laser in front of his face?

It does both kinda.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

PriorMarcus posted:

I was going to say that Singular Point had a great breath scene too. I loved that show. It's a shame nothing new seems to be on the horizon for it.

I loved it as well. A few years back somebody on twitter was doing synopsis translations of the novel and apparently since it was in written form there was a LOT of science explanation and story expansion in there. I wish I bookmarked them.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

It is a laser created by bioluminescence cycled through a time loop thousands of times.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gripweed posted:

It is a laser created by bioluminescence cycled through a time loop thousands of times.

That explains everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

That explains everything.

Would you believe us if we said it actually makes sense in context?