Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

wow. abominations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I've given up on dodging entirely at this point on kbm. I should rebind it to something that doesn't require two keys hit in the correct quick succession, but I haven't found a button I like and parrying is still right mouse button for me so I've just been doing that and praying whatever I'm fighting isn't hitting so hard that I take damage through it.

edit: sailed around until we found a swamp that we're totally not ready for and I decided to do a mad dash to find a turnip seed. 2 days, and several stamina potions later I have established that turnips are not native, but at least the greydwarves or something appear to have killed a wraith so early chain I guess.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 2, 2024

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

What do you mean about two keys in quick succession? All you need to do to dodge is hold block and press space while moving in a direction, even forwards.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Althalin posted:

Honestly the bears are one of the bigger things. Otherwise the config is mostly small tweaks for (perceived) balance, nerfing things like the Plateautem and Surtling Boats mods.

Bears by default can be tamed with carrots (struck me as odd), can spawn at elevations between 10-1000, require no world keys (boss kills), and will hunt the players as soon as they spawn. It seemed like a bit much, especially since we've got some newbies on the server; probably the biggest change I made to that config was requiring the Elder to be downed before bears start spawning.

Ah, cool. Yeah I've beaten Eikthyr and around that time most players should be able to handle a bear so I'll be fine moving forward I guess. Thanks again for the modpack!

Burns
May 10, 2008

I trust you mean boar. There are currently no bears in valheim (unless you mod list added bears).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
That's all mod, and yes the bears are assholes

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Combat outside of the boss fights feels really good for a survival game, but I'm getting extremely tired of poo poo like getting chased by two lox, parry-stunning one of them, and then having the other lift it into the air before I can stab it. I paid dearly for that stun with my hard-earned stamina bar, let me have a few swings before it's back to running in circles for a minute. :argh:

Really surprised this sort of thing and, like, the atrocious vertical hitboxes never got changed since the start of early access.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

What do you mean about two keys in quick succession? All you need to do to dodge is hold block and press space while moving in a direction, even forwards.

In my experience it wants a fresh press of block and then space bar, and never registers it unless I get the space pressed exactly after that new block press

edit: I'm bad at video games so that might have something to do with it

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

e: nevermind, Bing answered my question

giZm fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 2, 2024

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Guildenstern Mother posted:

In my experience it wants a fresh press of block and then space bar, and never registers it unless I get the space pressed exactly after that new block press

That's definitely not how its supposed to work unless I've just been subconsciously doing it "right" the entire time, I'll have to check this evening. How to possibly fix it I have no idea.

Burns
May 10, 2008

The dodge system is awful and should have a dedicated button. Its not like its a controller limitation.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

:shrug: In any given moment where you'd want to dodge it is also useful to have your shield up as insurance, there's no good reason not to bind them together

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

If you have a basic keyboard you may also be hitting an input limit. I don't remember the technicals but sometimes you will only be able to press so many of a certain subset of keys at once. Back in my TF2 days my old keyboard could not process hitting Space in conjunction with W and A, so I couldn't jump while moving diagonally forward left. You could be having similar issues.

Burns
May 10, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

:shrug: In any given moment where you'd want to dodge it is also useful to have your shield up as insurance, there's no good reason not to bind them together

Its a 2 sided problem because they also tied blocking and getting stunned to your hitpoints. At very hard difficulty, blocking a tier for tier enemy (fuling v black steel shield for example - especially a 1star or god forbid a 2star) will generally get you stunned and killed. Its parry or nothing. The current block/dodge/parry system needs improvement.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I agree that having your blocking potential tied to your current health is really weird. Should be based on your equipment and your skill level, not whether you've eaten meat or vegetables.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

My quest for turnips continues, 2 full sized swamps in and none to be found. I pulled my boat up at a likely looking spot, little peninsula on the tip of the swamp, no visible enemies except one leech, and a nice indestructible tree to stick a portal on. As soon as I jump off the boat the abomination spawns under my feet and takes me and the boat out. I think this is going to be a 12 step corpse run at this point.

edit:

Portal at top left, corpse bottom right. RIP me.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 3, 2024

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

My quest for turnips continues, 2 full sized swamps in and none to be found. I pulled my boat up at a likely looking spot, little peninsula on the tip of the swamp, no visible enemies except one leech, and a nice indestructible tree to stick a portal on. As soon as I jump off the boat the abomination spawns under my feet and takes me and the boat out. I think this is going to be a 12 step corpse run at this point.

edit:

Portal at top left, corpse bottom right. RIP me.

Cheat. I'm having more fun that way after a year plus break. zoooooom

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I'm finally making my way through the Mistlands uh tech tree and it sure is a lot more convoluted than previous stages. I'd probably never have figured out what to do with the roots if not for spoilers because why'd I start a fight with the dvergr?? They're helping me debug! So we never got any sap. It also took us forever to find a dungeon so we didn't even have the crafting station for the longest time.

It's also a huge pain to explore anything because, obviously, the mist, but also because the map is basically useless and there's steep cliffs in the way everywhere. I like that they seem to try to get me to for real build a base in the Mistlands this time but I'm really not happy to hang out in that base because I still don't know where anything is and it feels like any moment I could be assaulted by a loudly honking zerg overlord out of nowhere.

The stuff to craft this tier being a lot less formulaic and the teleport restrions being different makes me kinda annoyed at how boring all the previous tiers are.

Also this:

Eifert Posting posted:

My buddy is going to wait for "the bugs to work out"

Man

The bugs have been working out. They wrecked me like 4 times last night.

Vanadium fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 3, 2024

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Is installing mods easy? I remember I had a valheim plus mod that I played around the settings with but now it just doesn't work even after updating and reinstalling. This was about a year ago but I'm getting the val-itch again.

Althalin
Nov 19, 2019

Putting the ham in Chamon
Pork Pro

Spudd posted:

Is installing mods easy? I remember I had a valheim plus mod that I played around the settings with but now it just doesn't work even after updating and reinstalling. This was about a year ago but I'm getting the val-itch again.

It's pretty slick, so long as you use r2modman

Download that one manually, install it, and you can pick the game (Valheim, in this case) and create profiles in case you want to play around with different sets of mods. They install with all of their dependencies by default, and the mod manager has a human-readable config editor so you don't have to dick around with a text editor. Just note that you have to launch the game with the mod enabled at least once for the config files to generate and, thus, be editable.

A fair number of mods out there are outdated, so be aware that mods that haven't been updated in the last 2-3 months might be broken.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Althalin posted:

It's pretty slick, so long as you use r2modman

Download that one manually, install it, and you can pick the game (Valheim, in this case) and create profiles in case you want to play around with different sets of mods. They install with all of their dependencies by default, and the mod manager has a human-readable config editor so you don't have to dick around with a text editor. Just note that you have to launch the game with the mod enabled at least once for the config files to generate and, thus, be editable.

A fair number of mods out there are outdated, so be aware that mods that haven't been updated in the last 2-3 months might be broken.

Thank you so much for this, I'll sit down and work out what I want to use. :)

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Ne Cede Malis posted:

Cheat. I'm having more fun that way after a year plus break. zoooooom

It wasn't as bad as I thought, it only took a new boat, 2 rafts and 3 deaths to get my stuff back.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Elder’s altar spawned halfway into the water; never seen that before. Probably still a trivial fight, but we’ll see. Maybe it’ll be even more trivial than usual if it means he can’t walk around to the water side.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Spudd posted:

Thank you so much for this, I'll sit down and work out what I want to use. :)

Must haves I recommend that don't break the basic loop much:

• Advize's PlantEasily and PlantEverything. Do more or less what they say.
  • A build camera mod. There's a few different ones now I think, I'm using Azumatt's
  • Blast Furnace Take All. Lets you put lower tier metals into the higher tier furnace you get. It's very dumb that it isn't this way by default
  • TimedTorchesStayLit. Lets your wall torches burn without fuel, turns them off during the day.
  • Advanced Terrain Modifiers. A more precise version of the hoe.
  • Cartography skill, again by Advize. Makes the map exploration radius line up better with your actual LoS.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Must haves I recommend that don't break the basic loop much:

• Advize's PlantEasily and PlantEverything. Do more or less what they say.
  • A build camera mod. There's a few different ones now I think, I'm using Azumatt's
  • Blast Furnace Take All. Lets you put lower tier metals into the higher tier furnace you get. It's very dumb that it isn't this way by default
  • TimedTorchesStayLit. Lets your wall torches burn without fuel, turns them off during the day.
  • Advanced Terrain Modifiers. A more precise version of the hoe.
  • Cartography skill, again by Advize. Makes the map exploration radius line up better with your actual LoS.
I don't use the Advanced Terrain Modifiers and I need to re-add the Cartography and Sailing skills, but otherwise these are what I use.

I also use a Craft from Containers mod but I'm not sure which one because I can't be bothered with loving around with them.

(What I'd really love is a mod that makes it so that putting blackmetal into a regular furnace makes iron)

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Vanadium posted:

It's also a huge pain to explore anything because, obviously, the mist, but also because the map is basically useless and there's steep cliffs in the way everywhere. I like that they seem to try to get me to for real build a base in the Mistlands this time but I'm really not happy to hang out in that base because I still don't know where anything is and it feels like any moment I could be assaulted by a loudly honking zerg overlord out of nowhere.

As someone in the middle of mistlands in a fresh ashlands prep world, I feel like Mistlands’ biggest problem is worldgen. It has varied wildly every time if progged it, and my current run is probably the worst one. The easiest to access half of the biome was pure archipelago which was annoying as hell to get through. And if you look at the map, there is no water, just pure purple/brown mistlands terrain lol. The rest was fine, but still gets a little wonky because of a little mountain in the middle of the biome which pushes everything up.

This is the first time I’ve run though a mistlands without a plains beachhead so that’s probably the problem. Without plains, the terrain seems to run too close to the water line and lacks form.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
That sounds like what my experience has been if i take an old map seed and open it on the new versions, although yes it sounds like that's not what's happening here.

Wonder if other areas of the seed are like that? Is this just in one area, or all over?

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

The mistlands coastal areas look cool as hell, I'm just mad that the map doesn't indicate where there's relatively even ground that I can just walk across vs mountainous bullshit where every five map pixels take one and a half stamina bars to traverse (which is most of the biome from what I can tell).

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
Until the feather cloak happens i hate the mistlands

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
With the forest or plains, you’re almost guaranteed to find something useful in any particular zone unless it’s obviously just some tiny patch on the edge of a different biome. Mistlands is more like the swamps or mountains, where exploration sometimes reveals that a zone is basically empty, so you need to go set up somewhere else. Like those biomes, there are signs you can learn to read that a Mistlands zone is more likely to be productive. The archipelagos will sometimes have a few spawns in them — maybe a mine over here, a dwervr dock over there — but they’ll be scattered and annoying to get to. What you’re looking for is a wide zone, especially one that goes deep into a large continent. Don’t put a ton of effort into building a base up before you know it’s worthwhile, and be ready to just make a second or third base in the same zone if it ends up being a better location. The great thing about the biome is that pretty much everything you need to keep exploring for goes through portals, so you’re not as tied to the sea as you are elsewhere.

Continental Mistlands is generally a lot of long, twisty valleys that turn choppy near the sea. You can actually read this on the map, sort of: black is flat, and purple is chop. It’s not perfect, but it helps. Mostly you spend a lot of time in a particular set of valleys and get used to them.
Public works projects in the Mistlands pay immediate dividends, and I personally love doing them. Always have a built path to places you go a lot instead of forcing yourself to sprint up hillsides constantly. You can make crazy bridges basically everywhere with 4x1x2 blocks; jam one into the side of a sheer cliff for support, then build your path on that. Bugs will land on them, but then they’re nicely lined up for you instead of swarming you from all sides.

Althalin
Nov 19, 2019

Putting the ham in Chamon
Pork Pro
Haven't really played since the Hildir update came out. Broke into my first Sealed Tower tonight - what a fun little setpiece. Not entirely sure I'm keen on repeating the experience, mind.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Took a break from the game and am now diving back in a little. Is there a mod that allows one to increase the build height restrictions (not neccessarily doing away with them altogether)

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There’s a building skill mod that lets you have better structural integrity the higher your skill. Easily configurable.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Vasudus posted:

There’s a building skill mod that lets you have better structural integrity the higher your skill. Easily configurable.

Is it the one simply named "building"? Trying to find reviews and such... but the name is not all that google friendly.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yes I think that is the name. I've played it in the past and it definitely works, you can get like a 50% increase in verticality and like the other poster said I think it's configurable so you could go pretty hog wild with it.

If it helps, I think the author of that mod also has other skill mods like sailing, ranching, etc.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Does that mean you can die, lose skill, and suddenly your entire precariously balanced house collapses?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Vanadium posted:

Does that mean you can die, lose skill, and suddenly your entire precariously balanced house collapses?

Also how would that work on a multiplayer server if the builder is not online and a noob logs in?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I believe the bonus gets applied at the time of construction and stays constant. That's the way it worked when I played that mod a few months ago anyway.

As far as multiplayer goes, this could be an issue if one player has the mod and another does not. If the player without the model logs in and loads the scene, the structure could be impacted.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
That’s why you have all your mods off r2modman with a mod code, force server syncing, and use an anti cheat mod to enforce the mod list. Letting players have any freedom with any kind of impacting variable in a config is a recipe for disaster even when you fully trust your players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I think there should be a cooking skill. Sure, leave the food items as they are, but your cooking skill increases the more you cook, and that gets applied as a buff onto the stats of the food. Like it lasts longer, or the health/stamina amounts increase. Or there's more of a yield.

It would only apply when using the crafting interface for cooking, so cauldron, oven, etc. Just cooking raw meat or fish wouldn't change.