Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Lt. Lizard posted:

Denken's answer to running out of mana is "Yes.....and?" :allears:

Denken got hands.

Meanwhile, "She's just using basic combat magic." Yeah, and the U.S.S. Missouri just used guns...

Flamme knew that the Demon King would just keep growing in power to counter what anyone like Seres came up with, fancy magic or no. That's the reason for her telling Frieren to stay in secrecy. To let her keep pushing upwards in power to become the greatest weapon possible.

Hell, she wasn't the Missouri. She was the Manhattan Project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
For anyone wondering, Serie is voiced by Mariya Ise, who you've probably totally heard before and not realized.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

For anyone wondering, Serie is voiced by Mariya Ise, who you've probably totally heard before and not realized.

Oh, she was Himeno in Chainsaw Man and Inamoto in Dynazenon. Explains why I recognized the name.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

chiasaur11 posted:

Oh, she was Himeno in Chainsaw Man and Inamoto in Dynazenon. Explains why I recognized the name.

She's also Satoru Gojou from JJK, Reg from "Made In Abyss," and Stocking. A very comprehensive resume.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Well, young Gojo

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

Well, young Gojo

I'm glad you added this because I was going NO WAY.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Absolute banger of an episode. The barrier being broken was very beautiful, and I liked the arcane effect as Frieren prepared the spell. It felt very much like advanced magic, and sold that the barrier was very strong even though Frieren fairly handily (from our perspective anyway) broke it.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Doodles posted:

Is it just me, or did Siere sound a bit like a mob boss? "...this is how you say hello?"

If she gives Frieren "an offer she can't refuse," would we be expecting a beheaded hamburger in Fern's bed later?

TBF, Eisen was like that too when Frieren rolled up and was like "yo I'm here to hang out".

Eisen: Frieren wtf it's been like 30 years.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

pork never goes bad posted:

Absolute banger of an episode. The barrier being broken was very beautiful, and I liked the arcane effect as Frieren prepared the spell. It felt very much like advanced magic, and sold that the barrier was very strong even though Frieren fairly handily (from our perspective anyway) broke it.

Yeah, the visuals used there were very cool. they also did a good job with the visuals of the richter vs kanne/lawine fight in particular, I thought

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Kanne needs to take some basic anatomy classes, circulatory system is like first year and would help her a lot.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Felt Sonny Boy vibes w those fractal effects and colors when she broke the barrier, extremely cool. I really enjoyed this first test arc, it's fun watching these big nerds flex.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
Frieren patting Lawine and Kanne on the head put an absolutely massive grin on my face.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Kanne needs to take some basic anatomy classes, circulatory system is like first year and would help her a lot.

Blood isn't water though. Gotta figure out how to separate/control the water part from the blood part.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

How long did Sense (the long haired instructor woman) say the barrier was being analyzed again? Frieren was multitasking for a while.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Fluffdaddy posted:

I love that this show doesn't have a character I don't like

same in a big way

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Diephoon posted:

How long did Sense (the long haired instructor woman) say the barrier was being analyzed again? Frieren was multitasking for a while.

It started the night before if I remember correctly.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Judging by the effect and the way characters were talking about the barrier and how no matter the brute force you use it won't break, Frieren probably dispelled it/deconstructed the magic used to make it, and literally no one has ever thought to do that before

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Yawgmoft posted:

Judging by the effect and the way characters were talking about the barrier and how no matter the brute force you use it won't break, Frieren probably dispelled it/deconstructed the magic used to make it, and literally no one has ever thought to do that before

I think because the episode talked a lot about how a mage has to imagine being able to do something to do it, I think Frieren just spent 2 days thinking 'I wanna smash that so bad' until she convinced herself she could and then she cast basic offensive magic at it

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 9 days!)

ChronoReverse posted:

Denken probably took a monk dip somewhere along the way. That was a great reveal of his intention there.

The examiner opening her umbrella immediately was cute too.

was interesting that Frieren actually has a subjob in Priest, but she finds it boring so she never really worked on it.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Kwyndig posted:

i think she's kind of a dummy though and more of a 'feel it out' kind of person given the flashbacks we seen

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Kanne is definitely not the kind of person that can bloodbend a motherfucker, in multiple respects

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Okay you're all right, what she really needs is a spell to create water, we know they exist, Frieren has several spells which are adjacent to that or can at least use atmospheric water to fake it.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

she should carry a cup of water around

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
"Denken you're out of mana"

Denken: "I ain't hear no bell"

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Strongest mages in the realm, reduced to brawling like infants by the force known only as Frieren. I love it.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
You caught that stille now you can catch these hands.

Also every time I see Kanne I think of the ligma meme, and she would be the one asking who Steve Jobs is. She's trying her best but man she needs to go back to school.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

like how fern just casually makes fire when they're in the cave.
she's probably like All-Element, but because of Frieren's style, she sticks to basic gun.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
She probably used magic-to-dry-your-clothes given the sudden rainstorm. But not on Ubel, because Ubel was rude.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I wonder if the magic that sees through clothes would tell you if illusion-boy was a ringer or the real thing.

I guess based on what we know, it depends on how thoroughly he's imagining his clones.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Spookydonut posted:

"Denken you're out of mana"

Denken: "I ain't hear no bell"

"I have just enough mana to cast fist to your loving face"

Yawgmoft posted:

It probably helps that we know Flamme put up a couple barriers back in the day when she was training, so Frieren would almost certainly know a lot about those pretty well. And of course Flamme learned barriers from Serie. So even if the one from this arc is a different kind she hasn't seen before, Frieren had way more of a headstart when trying to reverse-engineer the specific bubble they're under and devise a to wreck it.

GateOfD posted:

like how fern just casually makes fire when they're in the cave.
she's probably like All-Element, but because of Frieren's style, she sticks to basic gun.

I fear not the mage who has practiced 10,000 spells once, but I fear the mage who has practiced one laser spell 10,000 times.

-Frieren Lee

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 3, 2024

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Yawgmoft posted:

Given the girls were having trouble using their magic on richter simply because he had much more mana than them, I assume the only way someone could theoretically break it was if they could overpower Serie’s mana, as she made the barrier (Assuming they knew how to break it in the first place).
It’s helpful when you’re a tensai on top of having the most mana. Frieren has it all, except ambition.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I think Denken should have put his whole shirt of to reveal the giant dragon tattoo on his back.
He will probably wait with this until he finds a truly worthy opponent.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well assuming Serie kept up with their magic practice they'd have more mana than Frieren simply by virtue of being older. But Frieren knows all the tricks for fighting opponents with higher mana just in case she runs into the Demon King or whatever so that's how she was able to break the barrier. Finesse

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Tabletops posted:

Given the girls were having trouble using their magic on richter simply because he had much more mana than them, I assume the only way someone could theoretically break it was if they could overpower Serie’s mana, as she made the barrier (Assuming they knew how to break it in the first place).
It’s helpful when you’re a tensai on top of having the most mana. Frieren has it all, except ambition.

The only reason I disagree is that overpowering a mage using more mana than them would not be "turning the world of magic upside-down"

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah a simple brute force approach simply established Frieren as the new top dog, it doesn't overthrow magic. It's not inherently revolutionary. Also it didn't look like a brute force approach.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

as well as creditless videos for ED1, ED2, and the special ED.

ED1 absolutely annihilates itself on youtube's compression, so this'll be the only good creditless version available.

Sindai posted:

I love how you know what's going to happen the moment the examiner mentions someone's been analyzing the barrier.

More like knew it was gonna happen the moment there was a water caster and it was blocking the rain.

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Had it pinned as someone from Houseki as well, but Antarcticite not Bort.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Frieren analyzing the barrier isn't that farfetched either.
Like it was constructed by Serie who taught her master. And we seen Frieren present in flashbacks while Flamme was putting barriers for trees and probably the towns as well, so she probably had a starting point on the barrier calculations. Then just throw a bit of brute str. as well.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Ranzear posted:

More like knew it was gonna happen the moment there was a water caster and it was blocking the rain.
She literally says herself that if it were rain she'd do great. It was a given for a while already, it was just how it would be done. Once they mentioned it was Serie's barrier then it was clear only Frieren could do it and she did almost immediately afterward.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Yawgmoft posted:

The only reason I disagree is that overpowering a mage using more mana than them would not be "turning the world of magic upside-down"

I didn’t mean to imply that was the only part, just a component. As in even if someone knew exactly how her barrier worked and devised a way to break it, you’d still need to essentially be more powerful than Serie to actually do it. I also assume that’s what is revolutionary, and turning the mage world on its head. Some elf lady has been sitting at the top for a thousand years + and then suddenly…

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I don’t think the more power part is required. That would be silly.