Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Why would the Hornets just dump him off for nothing after all that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/alexisfromvegas/status/1753598793285828803

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Space Camp fuckup posted:

The Suns have no assets left, if they can get a 20 and 10 guy for nothing I get it. Particularly with the extremely narrow window they have. He’s a bad person but there’s a couple of those guys in the Ring of Honor, and Phoenix’s favored son Larry Fitzgerald also has that stink on him. 🤷

If the suns trade for miles bridges I hope they get a 20 to life guy

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Lockback posted:

Because they’re run like their GM and owner are stumbling drunks? Idk

The on court fit for bridges in Phoenix makes sense but I’m out on the season if they trade for him, I’m not trying to root for bball aroldis Chapman like a filthy stinking Chicago sports oaf. Dudes garbage

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Lockback posted:

Ding ding ding

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

hmm

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Zion had a game winner tonight:

https://twitter.com/PelicansNBA/status/1753620721488589212?s=20

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

lmao maga porter jr with the takes on "females"

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
As terrific as the Thunder have drafted these last few years, obligatory check-in on those picks they got back from Houston for Şengün

quote:

The pick from the Pistons was top 16 protected in 2022 and top 18 protected in 2023, so it hasn't yet been conveyed. If it's not conveyed in 2024 (top 18 protected), 2025 (top 13 protected), 2026 (top 11 protected) or 2027 (top nine protected), it will turn into a 2027 second-round pick.
The pick from the Wizards was top 14 protected in 2023. It also didn't convey. If it's not conveyed in 2024 (top 12 protected), 2025 (top 10 protected) or 2026 (top eight protected), it will turn into second round picks in 2026 and 2027.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

rivetz posted:

As terrific as the Thunder have drafted these last few years, obligatory check-in on those picks they got back from Houston for Şengün

Yeah that could go down as an all timer. They may have gotten 2 seconds for a future all star who would fit their team perfectly.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol, which is likelier, the wizards getting out of the bottom 8 teams by 2026 or the pistons getting out of the bottom 9 by 2027

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah that could go down as an all timer. They may have gotten 2 seconds for a future all star who would fit their team perfectly.

past a certain point you have too many mouths to feed

sengun probably doesn't develop in OKC because he doesn't get the burn or the playmaking responsibilities he has in houston

as to the efficacy of just loading up on picks to the point where you can't play all of your young guys and have them develop? well, who can say

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

rivetz posted:

They used those picks to ensure they got jalen Williams and Ousmane Dieng the next draft. I'd say it worked out for everyone

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Chronicles posted:

The reason AD is in over Sabonis:

The fans, the players and the media all think he’s better than Sabonis

And this is why the All-Star stuff blows. AD is fantastic and has been for a long time, so no argument against him at all. Sabonis has been genuinely dominant on a team that is doing much better than the Lakers and is sincerely underrated because he plays for a small market team. If he was in LA or NYC, he would probably be a starting All-Star and getting that big bonus and that's a good reason why stars always lean towards big market teams.
...That's also why the Knicks and Nets deserve to be lambasted because they have brought in big talent and totally wasted it repeatedly.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Someone will drop out with a toe injury and he’ll play and no one will care a week later

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i hope the thunder someday recover from the blunder of trading sabonis to the pacers for a guy who demanded out two years later

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

rivetz posted:

I wonder if a thunder blogger has gone through their stash of first round picks to see how many are basically second rounders in disguise

I feel like the best thing to do with some of those firsts in disguise is to see if you can extort their original owners into giving you something for them. Like tell Detroit you'll give them that pick back for Alec Burks or something

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Lifespan posted:

And this is why the All-Star stuff blows. AD is fantastic and has been for a long time, so no argument against him at all. Sabonis has been genuinely dominant on a team that is doing much better than the Lakers and is sincerely underrated because he plays for a small market team. If he was in LA or NYC, he would probably be a starting All-Star and getting that big bonus and that's a good reason why stars always lean towards big market teams.
...That's also why the Knicks and Nets deserve to be lambasted because they have brought in big talent and totally wasted it repeatedly.

Yeah it’s dumb. Honestly they should expand the lineup to 15 like a real team. Who cares!

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Dejan Bimble posted:

I wonder if a thunder blogger has gone through their stash of first round picks to see how many are basically second rounders in disguise

I feel like the best thing to do with some of those firsts in disguise is to see if you can extort their original owners into giving you something for them. Like tell Detroit you'll give them that pick back for Alec Burks or something

Here are all their incoming first rounders and first round swaps:

quote:

2024 first round draft pick from Houston
Houston's 2024 1st round pick to Oklahoma City protected for selections 1-4; if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Houston will instead convey its 2025 2nd round pick to Oklahoma City; Oklahoma City may convey the 2024 pick to Toronto (see Oklahoma City Outgoing) [Houston-Oklahoma City, 7/16/2019]

2024 first round draft pick from L.A. Clippers
L.A. Clippers' 2024 1st round pick to Oklahoma City; Oklahoma City may convey this pick to Toronto (see Oklahoma City Outgoing) [L.A. Clippers-Oklahoma City, 7/10/2019]

2024 first round draft pick from Utah
Utah's 1st round pick to Oklahoma City protected for selections 1-10 in 2024, 1-10 in 2025 and 1-8 in 2026 (if Utah has not conveyed a 1st round pick to Oklahoma City by 2026, then Utah's obligation to Oklahoma City will be extinguished); Oklahoma City may convey the 2024 pick to Toronto (see Oklahoma City Outgoing) [Oklahoma City-Utah, 7/30/2021; Oklahoma City-Utah, 1/4/2022]

2025 first round draft pick from Houston or L.A. Clippers (Oklahoma City outgoing to Houston, L.A. Clippers or Brooklyn)
Oklahoma City has the right to swap its 2025 1st round pick for Houston's 2025 1st round pick protected for selections 1-10 or the L.A. Clippers' 2025 1st round pick; Houston then has the right to swap its pick or the Oklahoma City pick for Brooklyn's 2025 1st round pick; if the Houston pick falls within its protected range, then Houston's obligation to Oklahoma City will be extinguished and Houston will instead have the right to swap its pick for the Brooklyn pick [L.A. Clippers-Oklahoma City, 7/10/2019; Houston-Oklahoma City, 7/16/2019; Brooklyn-Cleveland-Houston-Indiana, 1/16/2021]

2025 first round draft pick from Miami
Miami's 1st round pick to Oklahoma City protected for selections 1-14 in 2025 and unprotected in 2026 (via L.A. Clippers) [L.A. Clippers-Miami, 7/6/2019; L.A. Clippers-Oklahoma City, 7/10/2019; Miami-Oklahoma City, 2/9/2022]

2025 first round draft pick from Philadelphia
Philadelphia's 1st round pick to Oklahoma City protected for selections 1-6 in 2025, 1-4 in 2026 and 1-4 in 2027; if Philadelphia has not conveyed a 1st round pick to Oklahoma City by 2027, then Philadelphia will instead convey its 2027 2nd round pick to Oklahoma City [Philadelphia-Oklahoma City, 12/8/2020]

2026 first round draft picks from Houston and / or L.A. Clippers (Oklahoma City outgoing to Philadelphia)
Oklahoma City will receive the two most / more favorable of its 2026 1st round pick, Houston's 2026 1st round pick protected for selections 1-4 and the L.A. Clippers' 2026 1st round pick and Philadelphia will receive the least / less favorable of these; if the Houston pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Houston will instead convey its 2026 2nd round pick to Oklahoma City [L.A. Clippers-Oklahoma City, 7/10/2019; Houston-Oklahoma City, 7/16/2019; L.A. Clippers-Oklahoma City-Philadelphia, 11/1/2023]

2027 first round draft pick from Denver
At least two years after Denver conveys a 1st round pick to Orlando or in 2029 if this pick is not conveyed to Orlando, Denver's 1st round pick to Oklahoma City protected for selections 1-5 in 2027, 1-5 in 2028 and 1-5 in 2029; if Denver has not conveyed this first potential 1st round pick to Oklahoma City by 2029, then Denver will instead convey its 2029 2nd round pick to Oklahoma City; Oklahoma City may convey the 2027 pick to the L.A. Clippers (see Oklahoma City Incoming) [Denver-Oklahoma City, 6/23/2022]

2027 first round draft pick from L.A. Clippers (Oklahoma City or Denver outgoing)
Oklahoma City has the right to swap its 2027 1st round pick or, if conveyed to Oklahoma City in 2027, Denver's 2027 1st round pick, which would be protected for selections 1-5 and otherwise conveyable to Oklahoma City if Denver has conveyed a 1st round pick to Orlando by 2025, for the L.A. Clippers' 2027 1st round pick [Denver-Oklahoma City, 6/23/2022; L.A. Clippers-Oklahoma City-Philadelphia, 11/1/2023]

2029 first round draft pick from Denver
Only if and at least two years after Denver conveys a first potential 1st round pick to Oklahoma City, Denver's second potential 1st round pick to Oklahoma City protected for selections 1-5 in 2029 and 1-5 in 2030; if Denver has not conveyed this second potential 1st round pick to Oklahoma City by 2030, then Denver will instead convey its 2030 2nd round pick to Oklahoma City [Denver-Indiana-L.A. Lakers-Oklahoma City, 6/23/2023]

I was surprised looking through that most of these look pretty real. I think they've already packaged a bunch of the unlikely to convey firsts in previous deals.

The least likely to ever be real are the Houston one this year if they jump in the lottery (not impossible) and the Utah one if Danny Ainge just keeps the rebuild rolling along for three years in a row (seems unlikely).

2029 is a long time away too for the Denver pick, Jokic could be retired by then even, so who knows with that one. But you'd still think it highly unlikely they'd be top five two years in a row.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

We are here

https://imgur.com/gallery/HTLXH15

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

tanglewood1420 posted:

2029 is a long time away too for the Denver pick, Jokic could be retired by then even, so who knows with that one. But you'd still think it highly unlikely they'd be top five two years in a row.

Bruh, Jokic is only 28, he'll only be 33 by then

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Metapod posted:

They used those picks to ensure they got jalen Williams and Ousmane Dieng the next draft. I'd say it worked out for everyone
I thought Jalen was one of the Clippers picks from the SGA/PG trade. Wonder where Dieng/Şengün stacks up in the rankings of all-time what ifs tho, sec lemme get House's .02

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Tae posted:

Bruh, Jokic is only 28, he'll only be 33 by then

horse

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Declan MacManus posted:

i hope the thunder someday recover from the blunder of trading sabonis to the pacers for a guy who demanded out two years later

It’s pretty funny that Sabonis has turned out to be so good, and yet all three of the teams that let him go (Orlando, OKC, and Indiana) have turned out pretty good. Granted it took a while in Orlando and OKC

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Lifespan posted:

If he was in LA or NYC, he would probably be a starting All-Star and getting that big bonus and that's a good reason why stars always lean towards big market teams.

What big bonus?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

And the small market thing is not a good excuse because the big who probably took his "spot" was KAT, not AD. AD absolutely deserves to be an all star, it's crazy people think he doesn't deserve it.

edit: Or PG, but I dunno how many true centers they want and no one cares about the Clippers either so I don't think market got PG there.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 3, 2024

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k
only real hoopers and dawgs should be eligible for the all star game

no basketball players allowed

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
One of the broadcast analysts for the Kings mentioned that she was talking to GSW's broadcast team last night about the Sabonis snub, and very quickly realized they hadn't really watched the Kings since the playoffs last year. So Sabonis probably hosed himself for the ASG by having a mediocre playoff series because no one's paid attention to the Kings since then, even though he's having an amazing season with even better numbers and better defense. And a major reason his playoffs weren't good was that all of the other starters, other than Fox who also struggled with an injury, absolutely laid down and died during that series.

Yes, I am saying that basically this is the fault of Barnes and Huerter. But he'll get in if there's an injury, so whatever.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Chronicles posted:

lmao maga porter jr with the takes on "females"

Yes, great pro-tip! Never say 'females', always say 'women'. It's an instant red flag!

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Lockback posted:

What big bonus?

He had a $1.8m incentive if he made the All-Star game.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

rivetz posted:

I thought Jalen was one of the Clippers picks from the SGA/PG trade. Wonder where Dieng/Şengün stacks up in the rankings of all-time what ifs tho, sec lemme get House's .02

Okc traded with the knicks to get the pick in front of them to get the 2 guys they wanted in that range. Impossible to say who they take without the trade

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I think there are bunch of guys near their peaks that basically get squeezed from old guys not aging out and the insane amount of young talent in league. New all star format in your prime vs young + old.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1753840474324877735

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

a displaced flap?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I hate it when my flaps displaced

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

That flap just goes everywhere

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Big floppie flappies

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

nikosoft posted:

Yes, great pro-tip! Never say 'females', always say 'women'. It's an instant red flag!

yeah i have a women cat as a pet. sure

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Mr. Embiid, I beleef I am understandink. I can help. Jais? Ze theory of displacement, is zis familiar?

No. Tyrese?

Oh, it is too exciting! I vill explain.

[eagerly] Is it schadenfreude?

Deeply. Your games in Denver, you drive it avay. Go, off viz you! But zen, you are feelink ze little black monster.

DNP?

Memes! Jais! Your ducking Denver returns, you feel guilty- you displace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

weeping when they tell me i got the colangelo collar flaps