Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Somehow Luke has returned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

i am a doctor. my name is thoss.
LET'S WATCH SOME ACTION MOVIES

starting at 8 on the discord

1. Black Mamba

a lady comes back from the dead to take revenge on the corrupt cops that murdered her

2. Cyber 2 Tracker

the first one had some passable action, so maybe this one will have action and a plot, but i'm not betting on it

3. 2019: After the Fall of New York

yet another cheap italian knock off of escape from new york, what could go wrong?

e: my internet could die, but i don't think i can blame the italians for that

Dr. Thoss fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 3, 2024

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

Doing a randomized Seinfeld rewatch. Holy hell does this not hold up whatsoever. The slap bass used to be novel but it's constant and brutal. The laugh track is unbearable. Once you hit season 7 the plots and gags are miserable. Jerry (and Larry) is/are the luckiest guy(s) in showbiz to hit with this garbage at just the right time.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
seinfeld is the second best sitcom of all time after the simpsons

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It seems like a lot of posters are going in on jerry lately. It's not my place to say if they're right or wrong, merely to note the trend

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

Doing a randomized Seinfeld rewatch. Holy hell does this not hold up whatsoever. The slap bass used to be novel but it's constant and brutal. The laugh track is unbearable. Once you hit season 7 the plots and gags are miserable. Jerry (and Larry) is/are the luckiest guy(s) in showbiz to hit with this garbage at just the right time.

The slap bass wasn’t even played on a bass!! Dude used a keyboard synth!! My life is a lie!!

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

No Mods No Masters posted:

It seems like a lot of posters are going in on jerry lately. It's not my place to say if they're right or wrong, merely to note the trend

oh? hadnt noticed. i just wanted some background noise making dinner and oooooof is this ever painful
im not sure i could even revisit curb at this point. best left in the past

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

There are certain things in Seinfeld that don't hold up at all in 2024, like the man hands subplot for example, but for the most part the show is still hilarious even like 25 years after it ended. You can't say that about many comedies.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

michael richards was a genuinely talented physical comedian and a lot of the dumb kramer stuff holds up great. the show wasn't nearly as clever as everyone pretended it was tho

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Stink Billyums posted:

Yeah Seinfeld is probably second to only the Simpsons in my book too. But I’ll stand by Jerry himself not being funny and let everything he’s done in the last 30 years stand for itself.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The Bee Movie

Lol

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's amazing how Star Trek and Wars both went from being two behemoths of pop culture to being dead so quickly

Trek died a pretty gradual death really. Its popularity peaked in the late '80s / early '90s off the TOS movies (2-4) doing pretty well and TNG eventually becoming a hit. But obviously the TNG movies didn't really take off, DS9 was handicapped by them putting out too much content at once (hmm, sounds familiar) and Voyager was a modest success on a network nobody watched. Aside from maybe the last half of TNG, it was never nearly as big as Star Wars to the general public. JJtrek did pretty well, but obviously it went south real quick after that. And I guess the Paramount+ shows might have done as okay as any other niche streaming show but who knows really.

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022
This trailer seems interesting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkcrNh9XSSw

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

So I turned off Adblock for our boys here and (rich Evans voice) oh my goooood YouTube ads are BAD now. They go on forever and make you click skip when they’re done

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

poisonpill posted:

So I turned off Adblock for our boys here and (rich Evans voice) oh my goooood YouTube ads are BAD now. They go on forever and make you click skip when they’re done

The boys don’t care. They’re not Linus Sebastian (thank god)

Illmade
Jan 17, 2024

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
PSYCORPS

Nothing is worth dying for, except Palestinians for Israel

No Mods No Masters posted:

I will not stand for all of this revisionist Seinfeld slander. Jerry Seinfeld is and always has been funny. Haven't you people watched Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee? It's gold!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
it's pretty funny how much he isn't

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Illmade posted:

I will not stand for all of this revisionist Seinfeld slander. Jerry Seinfeld is and always has been funny. Haven't you people watched Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee? It's gold!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80G38bxPeyI

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rewatched The Matrix in 4K :chanpop:

I know it's been 25 years, but the majority of modern action movies aren't even in the same ballpark as that one, holy poo poo. That lobby shootout in 4K is still one of the most impressive-looking action scenes I've ever seen in my life.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Jay needs to get a haircut

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Toxic Mental posted:

Yeah I never thought I’d say it, but he’s looking a bit too shaggy these days.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Jay’s final form is Cousin It

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

hey i have hair similar to jay and some people, mostly me, think its hot as hell.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yah any negative views on it from me are absolutely due to jealousy

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Rageaholic posted:

I know it's been 25 years, but the majority of modern action movies aren't even in the same ballpark as that one, holy poo poo. That lobby shootout in 4K is still one of the most impressive-looking action scenes I've ever seen in my life.

forgot to post that I also saw the matrix at the alamo. it was good obv

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

It probably should have ended 2-3 seasons before it did, yeah.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Stink Billyums posted:

There is more bad Simpsons then good Simpsons at this point.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Toxic Mental posted:

Jay has to grow enough hair to outfit all of his RLM friends with wigs

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Just watched Terminator Salvation, what a loving weird thing that is. The credits are like the Vietnam war memorial for mid 2000s careers. Remember when an adult human being who called themselves McG would be trusted with a multi million dollar budget and everyone just went along with it? Remember Moon Bloodgood? Remember when Sam Worthington was gonna be the next action star?
Remember Christian Bale absolutely rinsing the crew when he had ostensibly read this garbage script?

Anyway, points to note:

Extremely painful memberberries everywhere. Actual dialogue:
Pregnant lady: "What should I tell the troops when they find out your gone?"
John Conner: "tell them.............(score swells)......I'll be back"

Most of Sam Worthington's dialogue is just a badly delivered "yeeeeeaaaarrrrggggggg" (if you know the Nutri-Grain scream it's basically that).

The plot centres on Moon Bloodgood needing Terminator dick so bad she dooms humanity for another ride.

3/10 it wasn't as bad as I remember.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic posted:

I was surprised because I forgot how many of the effects are practical and thus still look good today- I went in thinking all the old CG would look like poo poo but there's really not all that much of it that sticks out

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Monkey Fracas posted:

I was surprised because I forgot how many of the effects are practical and thus still look good today- I went in thinking all the old CG would look like poo poo but there's really not all that much of it that sticks out

Yeah the first ones visuals stand up well, sequels however ...

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Dr. Thoss posted:

LET'S WATCH SOME ACTION MOVIES

starting at 8 on the discord

1. Black Mamba

a lady comes back from the dead to take revenge on the corrupt cops that murdered her

2. Cyber 2 Tracker

the first one had some passable action, so maybe this one will have action and a plot, but i'm not betting on it

3. 2019: After the Fall of New York

yet another cheap italian knock off of escape from new york, what could go wrong?

e: my internet could die, but i don't think i can blame the italians for that

this was an evening for the ages, great moopie after great moopie

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

animator mark gustafson has died from a heart attack at 64. he was the animator behind the likes of fantastic mr. fox and gdt's pinocchio, and del toro has some really sweet things to say about him which are quoted in that obit.

makes me sad. every day that cgi artists are exploited is another day when other art forms are allowed to wither, and filmmaking knowledge and artistry is lost to the ether.

fuzzyduckbutt
Mar 3, 2016
finally watched oppenheimer

you ever wanted to gently caress a movie?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

kalel posted:

animator mark gustafson has died from a heart attack at 64. he was the animator behind the likes of fantastic mr. fox and gdt's pinocchio, and del toro has some really sweet things to say about him which are quoted in that obit.

makes me sad. every day that cgi artists are exploited is another day when other art forms are allowed to wither, and filmmaking knowledge and artistry is lost to the ether.

bummerino. Phil tippet might not be able to write a script but ill be damned if mad god doesnt look ~amazing~ and he's up there in years too. If he's a day younger than 70 I'd be surprised

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Rageaholic posted:

There are certain things in Seinfeld that don't hold up at all in 2024, like the man hands subplot for example, but for the most part the show is still hilarious even like 25 years after it ended. You can't say that about many comedies.

the problematic elements of Monty Python have only gotten better with age

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUhl_QAk6mY

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Mega Comrade posted:

There is more bad Simpsons then good Simpsons at this point.

Simpsons ended after season 10 and everything else has been hallucinations

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

fuzzyduckbutt posted:

finally watched oppenheimer

you ever wanted to gently caress a movie?

Florence Pugh isn’t the entire movie, dude

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

maybe he meant all the man meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
My favorite part of the film was when he yelled "Its Heimer time!" and whipped out his 14 inch raging boner