Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

interesting timing
Swedish public radio ending broadcasts in Kurdish for 'financial reasons'

www.turkishminute.com - Thu, 01 Feb 2024 posted:

Sweden’s public radio broadcaster, Sveriges Radio, has announced that it will halt its broadcasts in three languages including Kurdish to cut costs, the Erbil-based Rudaw news outlet reported, citing the radio station.

Sveriges Radio CEO Cilla Benko said in a statement that the changes to the radio’s services were part of measures to save 225 million Swedish krona, or just under $22 million.

The Kurdish service started broadcasting about 23 years ago, on January 6, 2001, and has broadcast in both the Sorani and Kurmanci dialects. The service has four permanent journalists and four other contributors.

“I look at the Kurdish service as a child that I have given birth to,” Kurdish news presenter Nasser Sina told Sveriges Radio on Wednesday as they announced the plans to halt the broadcasts.

He was the first to go on air when the service started.

“But now I feel like that child is dying in front of my very eyes,” he said.

The service is scheduled to go off air on March 31, about 10 days after Nevruz, the Kurdish spring festival.

Nishtman Irandoust, one of the Kurdish journalists, told Rudaw the public broadcaster would reduce its expenditures but also said some believe the motive could be political.

Sweden has a large and politically active Kurdish population. Turkey has long pressured the Swedish government to clamp down on the Kurdish diaspora in the country in return for its approval of the Nordic country’s NATO membership bid.

NATO membership applications require unanimous ratification by all alliance members.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has repeatedly accused Sweden of harboring and supporting “terrorists” from the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) and sought the extradition of alleged PKK members in exchange for opening the door to NATO to Sweden.

Sweden responded by tightening its anti-terrorism legislation and taking other security steps demanded by Erdoğan.

Ankara ratified Sweden’s ascension to NATO last week after keeping the issue in limbo for almost two years.

Irandoust said some believe Sweden decided to end the Kurdish broadcast in order to appease Ankara and in exchange for its support to join NATO.

Sveriges Radio will celebrate its 100th anniversary next year. It said they will also stop their Tigrinya and Russian services in late March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
https://twitter.com/MaMoMVPY/status/1752438690435993682

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

what's going on in portugal, I thought the ruling socdems were fine and now it looks like they're collapsing:

https://twitter.com/electo_mania/status/1753210930282807644

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Doktor Avalanche posted:

what's going on in portugal, I thought the ruling socdems were fine and now it looks like they're collapsing:

Big corruption story basically caused the government to resign and call an election, Soc Dems are basically in freefall because of it.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

those polling numbers for chega are extremely grim

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lollin' at the attitude that still exists in europeans

crepeface posted:

https://www.reuters.com/world/what-we-know-about-italian-development-plan-africa-2024-01-29/

quote:

ROME, Jan 29 (Reuters) - The Italian government unveiled at a summit on Monday details of a long-awaited project aimed at boosting development in Africa, hoping it will help spark economic growth that will curb irregular immigration to Europe.

Here are the main points of the "Mattei Plan" - named after the late Enrico Mattei, who founded state oil company Eni - as outlined by Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni.

AREAS OF INTERVENTION
The Italian plan will be developed along five main policy pillars: education and training; agriculture; health; water; and energy - which is the most significant for Rome.

The aim is to make Italy an energy hub to transport natural gas supplies from Africa to the rest of Europe, with Italian energy major Eni set to play a key role in the initiative.

The government said it wanted to strengthen energy efficiency and promote the use of renewable energies.

Meloni listed an array of small pilot projects in the various segments, including a centre for training on renewable energy in Morocco, redevelopment of Tunisian schools, improving primary care for mothers and children in Ivory Coast, supporting farmers in northern Egypt, developing the biofuels sector in Kenya, an agriculture monitoring project in Algeria and work on water networks in the Congo Republic.

The prime minister said education was key to success, because Africa needed to train its own professionals to build schools, hospitals and infrastructure. She also said agriculture was crucial to development, and that Italy would aim to offer technology to increase the amount of cultivatable land.

FUNDING
Meloni said Italy would set aside an initial 5.5 billion euros ($5.95 billion) for the Mattei plan, including public guarantees for investment projects and 3 billion euros from a climate fund set up in 2021 to promote international environmental projects.

She said Rome was also looking to involve international financial institutions, the European Union and other nations in the financing of the plan.
Meloni said her government would also work with state-lender Cassa Depositi e Prestiti (CDP) on a new financial tool to lure private investment into the Mattei plan.

CDP and state investment agencies SACE and SIMEST, will open new offices in Africa, including in Morocco and Egypt. The Foreign Ministry said it had prepared a new package of subsidised financing for Africa totalling 200 million euros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3Jr7fDAP-w

diplomatic "hey gently caress you, you didn't consult us about your plans"

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It's only going to get worse. Pretty sure the plan is to just slam the door shut once climate stuff gets worse and then they just start machine gunning boats.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
africa needs to train its own professionals, says continent that gladly scoops up skilled workers from africa

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Doktor Avalanche posted:

economy numbers are good but for daily life things are getting harder, basically zero investiment on public services or infrastructures, inflation, no wage raises and a concerted effort by media owners and the president to force their own central-right and affluent far right party to take hold. we have a semi presidential system and our president basically disolved the parliment twice already in what 2 three years? and already hinting that if this next gov isnt to his liking he will do it again
also lol how the old communist coligation is the one party name they got wrong inthat tweet almost mirrors the situation here where the tv channels dont even mention us

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol that citizens of the EU think international law is real

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Went to the antifa protest and was glad to see so many people there, in comparison the fash one was smaller but carried by cops

https://x.com/dm4uz3/status/1753849320988631467?s=20

A thread on it

Worrying is the cops union boss threatened boycotting the following months elections on live tv lol this is going great

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Honest Thief posted:

Worrying is the cops union boss threatened boycotting the following months elections on live tv lol this is going great

yeah, he was feeling himself on that one, that’s gonna backfire bad for them.
I love that he framed it as “we won’t actually advocate for it but it certainly can happen, we can’t vouch for some of our colleagues *wink wink*”
oh yeah buddy?youre telling us a large part of the security apparatus is out of control and that’s supposed to make us root for you?
Then they refused to provide policing for football matches , forcing some games to be postponed. you don’t mess with the circus you loving idiot.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

yeah, he was feeling himself on that one, that’s gonna backfire bad for them.
I love that he framed it as “we won’t actually advocate for it but it certainly can happen, we can’t vouch for some of our colleagues *wink wink*”
oh yeah buddy?youre telling us a large part of the security apparatus is out of control and that’s supposed to make us root for you?
Then they refused to provide policing for football matches , forcing some games to be postponed. you don’t mess with the circus you loving idiot.
and the football match had less incidents than their secured nazi march, where they beat up tourists and counter protestors

btw what's the security forces structure like that would allow for the gov clamp down on the psp? through pj, gnr??

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Honest Thief posted:

and the football match had less incidents than their secured nazi march, where they beat up tourists and counter protestors

btw what's the security forces structure like that would allow for the gov clamp down on the psp? through pj, gnr??

PSP & GNR rank and file are the ones doing this, and PJ are extremely adverse at going after other cops unless they make a power play for their turf.
it’s going to be a internal inquiry that relays the findings to either the MP for criminal charges and internal command structure of PSP and GNR for findings of insubordination. so basically in 4 years we’ll get the results, and it’s gonna be wrist slaps to most , or they’ll hang a couple of the more dumb ones out to dry.maybe I’m being cynical and this spooks the higher ups into some activity, this blatant political use of security forces is pretty dangerous to the status quo.

it’s hosed and stupid and it’s gonna get worse until it gets better. this fascist resurgence is a fever that needs to break, but a lot of people are going to die until then.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
:smith: we're having our own tiririca moment and part of me wants to hold belief that the next government will fall just as easily as the previous two did but it still will be baaad before any comeuppance happens

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

danish minister of transportation says prices for public transport need to be high so people use their bikes more lol

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Contact your national broadcaster to get Israel dropped from Eurovision. Here's a form letter and contact info for participating nations' broadcasters.

I wasn't following closely, but apparently it was pressure from national broadcasters that got Russia and Belarus dropped, as the EBU initially decided that they shouldn't be dropped but caved to pressure.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

vee haf probleem

https://www.politico.eu/article/geert-wilders-stranded-dutch-government-coalition-talk-collapse-netherlands/

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

According to POLITICO’s Poll of Polls, Wilders’ PVV party has now soared to 32 percent of voter support, up from 24 percent in November.

Another poll conducted on Feb. 3 by Peil.nl showed that Wilders’ party would win 50 seats if an election were held today, 13 more than it did in November.

lol

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

that’s german

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

i say swears online posted:

According to POLITICO’s Poll of Polls, Wilders’ PVV party has now soared to 32 percent of voter support, up from 24 percent in November.

Another poll conducted on Feb. 3 by Peil.nl showed that Wilders’ party would win 50 seats if an election were held today, 13 more than it did in November.

lol

lmao

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
well that's concerning

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

SplitSoul posted:

Danish government's parliamentary majority was wobbly for a few days as one of the Moderates' MP's was discovered having a "romantic relationship" with a child half his age, which led to his exclusion from the party. He is now shopping around for a new party, but they've all so far refused him, even the Social Democrats whose Foreign Minister until December 2022 had done literally the exact same thing with a child the exact same age (15) in 2008. He has also been reported to the police for grooming, but it's doubtful anything will come of it since her parents are apparently cool with the whole thing. :suicide:

Yeah, so the case against that guy was dropped and he's back in parliament, says he and the child love each other.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SplitSoul posted:

Yeah, so the case against that guy was dropped and he's back in parliament, says he and the child love each other.
Minor Attracted Politician

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

ah, the "all you need is love" clause

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I see the Dutch have euthanized their former PM. Keep going, keep going, that’s a good direction. Just try not to eat them…

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
A lot of people will be happy to be rid of him, he's been vocally pro-Palestine for the last 20 years.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

I see the Dutch have euthanized their former PM. Keep going, keep going, that’s a good direction. Just try not to eat them…

imo its vegan to euthanatize your pms and eat them

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

crossquoting from the climate death thread

silicone thrills posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/feb/09/atlantic-ocean-circulation-nearing-devastating-tipping-point-study-finds

quote:

The circulation of the Atlantic Ocean is heading towards a tipping point that is “bad news for the climate system and humanity”, a study has found.

The scientists behind the research said they were shocked at the forecast speed of collapse once the point is reached, although they said it was not yet possible to predict how soon that would happen.

Using computer models and past data, the researchers developed an early warning indicator for the breakdown of the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation (Amoc), a vast system of ocean currents that is a key component in global climate regulation.

They found Amoc is already on track towards an abrupt shift, which has not happened for more than 10,000 years and would have dire implications for large parts of the world.

quote:

Amoc has declined 15% since 1950 and is in its weakest state in more than a millennium, according to previous research that prompted speculation about an approaching collapse.

Seems fine

Argentum posted:

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.adk1189
Here's the paper if you're a nerd like me!

lmfao if AMOC collapses in 2024-2025. Europe should get cold as hell if that happened, so a bunch of people online would get really smug about global WARMING all while their biosphere falls apart. Posting while Rome burns!

this year'll be fun then

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

tbh im looking forward to real winters again

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Carthag Tuek posted:

tbh im looking forward to real winters again

Meanwhile, the Scandithread is currently going full-on Snehaderen.

Bet we'll get the worst of both worlds, though. Deep freeze winters and Death Valley summers, with nothing in between.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

SplitSoul posted:

Meanwhile, the Scandithread is currently going full-on Snehaderen.

Bet we'll get the worst of both worlds, though. Deep freeze winters and Death Valley summers, with nothing in between.

:negative:

if summers keep going 30+ im fuckin moving to norway. svalbard here i come!

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

snow is good, i went skiing today and the tracks were very nice

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

While everyone is looking at Europe because it borders the North Atlantic, the Global South will sneak in with the real climate change disasters as India and the Sahel experience a 40% drop in precipitation, the Amazon 20%, and Central America up to like 60%.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
the very south tip of portugal is already going to start implement water restrictions but keeping the tourist economy going, so ya know, i dunno

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Didnt pakistan get 60% flooded last year and doesnt bangladesh already experience dangerous floods every year

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

mortons stork posted:

Didnt pakistan get 60% flooded last year and doesnt bangladesh already experience dangerous floods every year
Well, those are different places. But droughts also fuel flooding through increased evaporation, and by making the land itself less able to absorb water.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
It never rains but it pours

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/POLITICOEurope/status/1757291059724333361?t=wBqs46vkzb_FUx6DNJmnOw&s=19

lol you poor bastards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

not even the right nations to be targeting lmao

this is just a fig leaf to be hawkish against China et al, at the expense of the European population.

from the FT in May 2023: