Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Skarsnik posted:

Sorry about your horny syndrome crispix, the eye thing sounds cool though

very Jonathan Teatime, i scared a wee lad in supervalu with it, on purpose, because he was staring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

crispix posted:

also thanks for advice and all the scary warnings folks but i've recent experience of A&E and i'm not sitting in a plastic chair for 18 hours only to have a light shone in my eyes and sent home w/ paracetamol, i'll make a GP appointment on Monday and be seen in 6-8 weeks lol

ah I'm sure it was nothing, hope you're all good now (or as good as can be)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Bloody hell, that's an abysmal journey to get diagnosed.

Hope things stabilize, as much as they can for that. :thumbsup:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

crispix posted:

very Jonathan Teatime, i scared a wee lad in supervalu with it, on purpose, because he was staring

Hey, you could do an absolutely cracking Blofeld now.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Bin chat, I went for the cheapest thing on Amazon for a tiny bin for my home office and got this. It came with 3 rolls of tiny :3: bin bags that fit it perfectly so instantly better than most other bins.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

kecske posted:

ah I'm sure it was nothing

oh do gently caress off lol

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Fuckin hell dude. Glad you're ok.

I've just spent the last two days with my mum in hospital too. Her blood pressure dropped to 75/49 and she started slurring her speech. Except she didn't tell me as I had a cold and didn't want to be a bother. My brother came up to visit and he dropped by her to say hello and she was there trying to act normal and unable to talk... loving parents! Her vision also went black and white in one eye 2 weeks ago and she didn't think it was important. Aaaaaaaaah.

So 11 hours in a&e as a guy behind us yelled "YOU LIE!!! YOU LIE" for 6 hours straight and people just crying and wailing and screaming, walking around with screwdrivers in their hands, curled up on the floor flowing out the door.

It's just so hosed even here and I can't imagine how much worse it is in NI.

She's still in hospital and they don't know what's wrong. Seems she also stopped drinking water due to fear of incontinence. She was diagnosed with Parkinson's about 5 years ago but I don't think so. I think it's Multiple System Atrophy as everything lines up, including the parks meds not working.

gently caress.

I need a beer.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

crispix posted:

thank you people for the genuine concern about my recent health changes

state of health service in NI (?)
Horner's syndrome

Horrible as the experience in the A&E was, I'm glad you got seen to and diagnosed in the end.

Sorry about your mum.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 3, 2024

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, dang. Guy with a machete up at our main city hospital (apparently no injuries so far, thankfully), the police have the entire complex under siege, and the office is in lockdown in case he decides to go after care staff a couple of miles away.

Update on this - there was apparently no machete. Someone repeatedly phoned threats into the hospital, and it made everyone paranoid enough that when they saw a dude with a long metal object in the car park, they panicked and locked down the hospital. The guy who made the threats got arrested, but the car park guy (if he even existed) was probably some poor dude who picked the wrong time to walk in carrying a crutch or something.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Darth Walrus posted:

Update on this - there was apparently no machete. Someone repeatedly phoned threats into the hospital, and it made everyone paranoid enough that when they saw a dude with a long metal object in the car park, they panicked and locked down the hospital. The guy who made the threats got arrested, but the car park guy (if he even existed) was probably some poor dude who picked the wrong time to walk in carrying a crutch or something.

Definitely. Lucky his name wasn't Harry Stanley - shot dead by Met police because some member of the public reported an Irish man carrying a weapon - it was a chair leg that his brother had repaired earlier that day (and he was Scottish).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Harry_Stanley

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Glad you're not imminently dying, crispix. That hospital experience really sucks though, I can see why you were somewhat reluctant to go.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

crispix posted:

the actor in the BBC flick is now playing a Dutch detective in a decent enough TV show (van der valk or something, don't ask me to spell bargain bin german) and while I enjoy it I regularly have hogfather whiplash

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

crispix posted:

*update*

Glad to hear you got it sorted out, and that its not Scanners explodey terminal.

And yeah, hearing horror stories about NI hospitals recently as well.
My mum went into get her bloods done in our local NI doctor surgery last week, a loving 10-15 minute thing usually, and it took 2 hours 30 minutes to get seen.
Receptionists just sat and mostly ignored everyone, and let some phone calls ring out.
Absolute shambles, I remember the same place would have a rolling cycle of people coming in and going out constantly, mum says they seem to get everyone in at 8.30am and let them wait.

Wee bit disappointed its not Scanner explodey

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 3, 2024

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Glad you're not about to die crispix, but I hope Mebh's mother is alright.

loving hell the NHS is in a state.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Google Jeb Bush posted:

van der valk or something, don't ask me to spell bargain bin german

i will NOT have nederlands sullied IN THIS WAY :mad:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Oh no crispix is pro-dutch, he's suffered brain damage :ohdear:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Google Jeb Bush posted:

the actor in the BBC flick is now playing a Dutch detective in a decent enough TV show (van der valk or something, don't ask me to spell bargain bin german) and while I enjoy it I regularly have hogfather whiplash

It's swamp German thank you very much

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Checked in on the Kindle daily 99p deals, two books in today would probably suit UKMT types

Abolish the Monarchy: Why we should and how we will

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Abolish-Monarchy-Why-should-will-ebook/dp/B0BTVJLMJ1/

Attack Warning Red!: How Britain Prepared for Nuclear War

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Attack-Warning-Red-Britain-Prepared-ebook/dp/B0B6HBX7V8/

Can't argue with a couple quid on a chance.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Glad you're up and about crispix. Sorry to hear that about your mother Mebh, I hope they can do something for her.

It's disgusting to see what the NHS has become.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bessantj posted:

It's disgusting to see what the NHS has become.

Let's reword that sentence: it's disgusting to see what the NHS has been turned into. It is not the fault of the NHS that it is in the state it's in. It's the fault, and indeed the deliberate intent, of neoliberal scum who would rather see a million people die than have a thousand pounds less in their pocket.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

'Smoked-filled ego w***fest': Inside Laurence Fox’s Reclaim Party split... caused by a Volvo, Christmas card and MacBook

quote:

“The man’s a nutter, he’s a walking dangerous ego”.

This account, from a former insider, describes how Laurence Fox’s work ethic was “woeful”.

He alleges that Laurence Fox used to “stroll in late every day at 11am” and then proceeded to “go for a long lunch at 12:30, followed by a nap at 2pm because he was so worn out. The work ethic was a joke”.

Seemingly when Mr Fox was present at Reclaim HQ it actually caused more problems than it solved. “When Laurence was there it turned into a smoked-filled ego w***fest”, where there were apparently frequent clashes with the now-former Deputy leader Martin Daubney.

The former Deputy Leader fell out with the party after reportedly becoming uncomfortable at an offer from Jeremy Hosking – reported in the Telegraph – that he would financially reward MPs if they were to lose their seats.

Another overlooked feature of the political entity is that Laurence Fox has never actually been elected into the role, and based on the current mechanisms of the party is unlikely to ever be involuntarily disposed.

LBC has also been told that the Reclaim Party currently has no members. “No one is actually able to join because there is no mechanism to join”, the insider explained. “You’re able to sign up to a mailing list, but currently the Reclaim Party has no members and has never had an official membership”.

One of the curious recent fallouts was the sudden resignation of Reclaim’s only MP, Andrew Bridgen. Mr Bridgen represented the party in Parliament for just over 6 months between May–December of 2023, but made the “incredibly difficult decision to resign” due to a “difference in the direction of the party”.

In fact, LBC has learned that Laurence Fox was loathe to travel to Leicestershire to campaign for their party’s only MP.

“He rarely went to Leicestershire because he didn’t see it as a ‘sexy’ seat”, the insider explained.

quote:

Firstly, Andrew Bridgen was said to be “royally p***** off” when his official Christmas card to constituents in North West Leicestershire contained a significant spelling error – with regards to his own name. Voters were wished a Merry Christmas from one Andrew ‘Brigden’.

Secondly – as was reported online – I am told it is indeed true that the straw which broke the camel’s back was a Volvo XC90. The vehicle, which is a company-car, had Laurence Fox as its primary driver but was lent to Andrew Bridgen for a few days to complete constituency work.

According to an insider, Laurence Fox got “bored” and wanted to use the car earlier than agreed to drive a Christmas tree to his personal address. When Mr Bridgen refused, his party’s leader threatened to involve the police.

One incident which infuriated some supporters of the party involved a ‘young trainee producer’ who was “not paid particularly well” and “used to edit videos for us”.

We were told that this individual had a long commute from a City in the ‘South’ to the party’s headquarters in London. It was then agreed that this employee should have a “top of the range MacBook Air” in order for them to work from home and save on the expensive and lengthy commute.

When the MacBook was agreed and ordered, Laurence Fox apparently decided that he was more deserving of the computer saying “I fancy having that” and then proceeded to take it off the employees desk and install it at home.

There's lots more schad in the article :allears:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jedit posted:

Let's reword that sentence: it's disgusting to see what the NHS has been turned into. It is not the fault of the NHS that it is in the state it's in. It's the fault, and indeed the deliberate intent, of neoliberal scum who would rather see a million people die than have a thousand pounds less in their pocket.

What is really disgusting is the fact that there are people that will rub their hands with glee as they see that their decisions have damaged the NHS, costing lives, which could see it taken over by private businesses. They will be rewarded and not punished as they should be.

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

bessantj posted:

What is really disgusting is the fact that there are people that will rub their hands with glee as they see that their decisions have damaged the NHS, costing lives, which could see it taken over by private businesses. They will be rewarded and not punished as they should be.

Wes eagerly licking his lips, awaiting his turn

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Flux Wildly posted:

Wes eagerly licking his lips, awaiting his turn

He apparently wants to die in a ditch. Can anyone assist?

https://twitter.com/theipaper/status/1753477484287332441

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Glad you’re okay crispix! That hospital experience doesn’t sound very nice like. The combination of boredom, fear, and the sights, sounds and smells of others in varying amounts of pain, distress and confusion really doesn’t make for a nice day (and night, and day, and night etc)

E: ^^^ please god

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

Haha it says that prick Leo Kearse also stood for Reclaim and lost his deposit. Blocked me on Twitter after I called him Leaky Arse (say his name without the 'O') a couple of times.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

fuctifino posted:

The NHS will never charge you to look up your symptoms on the website, we guarantee you that!*

*Not a guarantee.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

fuctifino posted:

Interesting use of a phrase so readily associated with Boris Johnson and Brexit.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Pretty clear he means “free to visit a doctor and have something diagnosed. After that - get yer chequebook out”

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

An exciting day today here in NI for D’Hondt Method Enjoyers

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

smellmycheese posted:

Pretty clear he means “free to visit a doctor and have something diagnosed. After that - get yer chequebook out”

How is this "pretty clear"?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Are you going to get cocaine eye drops crispix?

I made my friend laugh once, and they got cocaine in their eye, said it really hurt.

Waste of good cocaine to be honest.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Free "at the point of use".

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

NotJustANumber99 posted:

In the same way it’s pretty clear that you are a terrible poster

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Private Speech posted:

But thats a founding principle of the NHS?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Private Speech posted:

*renders it completely unusable*

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

But thats a founding principle of the NHS?

I guess it depends how you interpret it, but I could easily see it as "everyone has to get health insurance, if you don't you get treated regardless but might be prosecuted or get a massive unrelated bill for not having insurance" which is, technically, free at the point of use.

Alternatively cut healthcare services so that everyone who can goes for the private alternatives.

Both systems exist in other countries.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 3, 2024

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Free at the point of use was originally a response to libertarian dickheads going "if free who pay doctor?" in the same way that some places have residential drinking water or municipal public transport free at the point of use.

It doesn't say anything about the internal structure though, which can be private or public or familial or social or technocratic or volunteer based or whatever.

It would be nice if Wes would clarify a bit more, but he will not.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Wes! Wes mate, come here, yeah come close.
Closer.
Bit more.
Just want you to know mate, you lot have u-turned on everything you promised.
So you know, have you a ditch laid out already, ready for use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Bevan's stated three principles of the NHS were that it be; comprehensive (that it meets all the medical needs of everyone), free at point of delivery and (as a confluence of the first two) that delivery was based on need, not ability to pay.

Unfortunately it's quite possible to meet those (especially the 'free at point of delivery' one) while also turning over the unstated principles that it be a single-payer system funded and provided through general taxation.

Especially if you're a devious weasel in hock to private healthcare interests like Wes Streeting.