Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Nah, he was gonna have some hench-chuds jump her but he can't if she's been offered the protective hospitality of Guest Right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1753518613762392477

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Annoying as poo poo, but we have no excuse to not have seen this coming.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

DarkHorse posted:

Even if it doesn't it's going to provide enough cover/doubt for some people to dismiss it and let the RWM machine spin it into proof of conspiracy that will infect other cases too.

Oh darn it, if only she didn’t gently caress that guy and give the RWM that legitimate toehold without which they would have honourably refused to spin things violently in Trump’s favour.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Ms Adequate posted:

I'm really struggling to understand the problem here. I'm just not seeing how anyone involved would be caused, or tempted, to act differently because they're loving? Wade and Willis are both interested in seeing a successful prosecution. That doesn't change because they are knocking boots, surely?

e; Like I get there may be an internal issue if it transpires that Wade got hired not because he was the best for the job, but because he slings dick real good - but the one group of people on Earth who should be very happy about that are the people accused of crimes here. It still boils down to "Hey, the people trying to put me in jail aren't bringing their best! I demand they get their poo poo together and really kick my rear end up and down the courtroom!"

It does nothing directly to the case. Under GA law it simply disqualifies (potentially) the DA office. If that happens then the new DA office may drop the charges.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fart Amplifier posted:

It does nothing directly to the case. Under GA law it simply disqualifies (potentially) the DA office. If that happens then the new DA office may drop the charges.

I *once* managed to get a prosecutor removed from a case and a new prosecutor assigned (who gave us a much better offer).

The first prosecutor had put "I hate this fucker and he just needs to plead" in an email.

Technically it was not a violation of anything. She was allowed to hate defendants, she's the prosecutor, her only limitation is she's not supposed to file frivolous cases with no basis.
But her boss and my boss agreed it looked bad so the case was reassigned.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

gregday posted:

The "scandal" would be that the entire case is a fiction she cooked up in order to make sure her lover could bill the state $860,000 in billable hours.
Wouldn't even have to be entirely fiction. Before this whole thing blew up, I heard some Georgia lawyer say that doing it all as RICO is a completely unnecessary and will make the prosecution more time consuming, expensive, and risky. IANAL obviously so can't evaluate his judgement, he clerly doesn't seem to be a huge fan of Fani but also what he's saying seems to make sense: https://openargs.com/oa802-the-case-against-fani-willis-feat-andrew-fleischman/ (Unfortunately I couldn't find a transcript.)

They dig into something shady she seemed to pull with discovery (If I undestood it right, she cited a case where somebody messed up with handing over discovery as a reason she doesn't have to do it). Interestingly the guy also brings up her hiring Wade and says that he doesn't seem to have the RICO experience :tinfoil:

E: the latest episode of the new Law & Chaos podcast without the sex pest host, also has Andrew Fleischman as a guest: https://www.lawandchaospod.com/p/ep-2-the-trump-ga-rico-debacle-how and there's a transcript. He's really pretty hard on Fani but this is before this latest filing obviously.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 2, 2024

plogo
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah, Fleischman is a defense attorney and is very critical of the Georgia RICO law.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

If only judge Chutkan would do something genuinely reprehensible, like having a romantic relationship, then maybe we’d be taking about recusal.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

lol at Fani Wills trying a Friday news drop in a 24/7 always online world

Today was the cutoff day for this motion to be filed. Seems like she just followed instructions?

You drop a Friday news bury in the late afternoon or evening, not during lunch.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Caros posted:

Today was the cutoff day for this motion to be filed. Seems like she just followed instructions?

You drop a Friday news bury in the late afternoon or evening, not during lunch.

She can't even bury the story properly and we trust her to prosecute Trump :mad:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1753527983254507920

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
same with judges: we spent decades giving prosecutors more and more power and less and less accountability, it wasn't until a rich shithead ran up against it that it is cause for concern

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

The Artificial Kid posted:

Oh darn it, if only she didn’t gently caress that guy and give the RWM that legitimate toehold without which they would have honourably refused to spin things violently in Trump’s favour.

In spirit I agree with you but this is especially digestible to the common person as really weird and sketchy, so this toehold is extremely generous rather than the ones they have to usually dig out with a toothpick.

There's the RWM machine and then there's a thing hitting the front page of established media sites that adds a sour note to the entire trial.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Scags McDouglas posted:

Just to be clear, I was semi-joking. I know it didn't help the case get dismissed, but it also didn't materially harm him- and that's why Trump is the way he is. If it doesn't cause any splashback, why not be an rear end in a top hat?

Plus credit where it's due, the sandwich thing was hilarious.

Sure, people are assholes in depositions all the time. People don't like being sat in front of a camera under oath and interrogated in detail about their crimes.

That said, it hasn't materially harmed him yet. The main downside to being an rear end in a top hat during a deposition is that there's a good chance the deposition transcript or recording will be shown in court during the trial, and then the judge and/or jury will see what a huge pissbaby you are.

There's a lot of stuff in the judicial system where being an rear end in a top hat isn't explicitly against the rules, but when someone is going to be deciding your fate you don't want them to remember you as "that rear end in a top hat", so being an rear end in a top hat is a very much at-your-own-risk kind of thing.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

Sure, people are assholes in depositions all the time. People don't like being sat in front of a camera under oath and interrogated in detail about their crimes.

That said, it hasn't materially harmed him yet. The main downside to being an rear end in a top hat during a deposition is that there's a good chance the deposition transcript or recording will be shown in court during the trial, and then the judge and/or jury will see what a huge pissbaby you are.

There's a lot of stuff in the judicial system where being an rear end in a top hat isn't explicitly against the rules, but when someone is going to be deciding your fate you don't want them to remember you as "that rear end in a top hat", so being an rear end in a top hat is a very much at-your-own-risk kind of thing.

I don't mean to be flippant since I know you're more knowledgeable about this, but wasn't the case dismissed? By definition the consequences you enumerate here won't happen and he got away clean.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Scags McDouglas posted:

I don't mean to be flippant since I know you're more knowledgeable about this, but wasn't the case dismissed? By definition the consequences you enumerate here won't happen and he got away clean.

In the E. Jean Carroll case? You serious bro

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

mdemone posted:

In the E. Jean Carroll case? You serious bro

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/01/politics/roberta-kaplan-donald-trump-deposition-maralago/index.html

quote:

Kaplan was deposing Trump at Mar-Lago in a lawsuit alleging the former president was involved with a fraudulent marketing company. A federal judge dismissed the suit last month.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ohhhh poo poo I totally forgot she was involved in another Trump case. My bad.

Whew that is a lot of crimes

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion › Trump Legal Troubles: Whew that is a lot of crimes

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

mdemone posted:

Naw you're cool. I think my overall point was going sideways anyway so this is what I'm saying:

Trump went crybully during the deposition and it was dismissed anyway so it ratified to like the millionth time that doing what he wants doesn't really invite many consequences, which has shaped his being for decades.

Main Painframe's point is valid in the context of standard legal theory, but in a legal thread about Trump it turns into total Calvinball with him always making the rules and is always the victor.

I'm not even really burnt about it, we've been dealing with this standard for a while now. This is one of infinite cases but I'll hang my hat on an LOL about the sandwich thing which has followed me all day. If you take away all of the awful poo poo (which is saying something), a very shameful part of me gets the appeal of a president that pulls a move like that.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Oh and she's involved in both Trump cases so the conflation is a super easy mistake.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Assuming that group refiles in state court with the correct jurisdiction would Kaplan be able to use the depositions from the previous effort in the new case?

Or would they have to do them over?

I know Trump has no shame so being embarrassed isn’t going to happen but god drat would he fume 10x worse if she does the same questions again after losing 83 million to her.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Such a shame that "Teflon Don" is already taken

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

mdemone posted:

To paraphrase a Nixon aide, for Trump the shortest distance between two points is through four indictments.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Murgos posted:

Assuming that group refiles in state court with the correct jurisdiction would Kaplan be able to use the depositions from the previous effort in the new case?

Or would they have to do them over?

I know Trump has no shame so being embarrassed isn’t going to happen but god drat would he fume 10x worse if she does the same questions again after losing 83 million to her.

Apologies but that question punches above my weight class. I'm more of a commentary poster and not one of the hilariously replete JD posters we somehow have in this thread.

Given history my guess is that no, a deposition from one trial wouldn't be admissable in another trial on a fully different subject.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Scags McDouglas posted:

It was dismissed, but that doesn't mean it's gone. The federal judge dismissed the case because she thought it was better suited for state court than federal court. It can be refiled in state court. I don't actually know whether the depositions can be carried over, but I don't really see why not. If it's just the same case being refiled in a different court, then the judge probably isn't going to make them regather the evidence that's already been gathered and redo the discovery that's already been done - that's just a waste of everyone's time.

It's entirely possible that he won't face any particular consequences from being an rear end in a top hat in the deposition, sure. I don't think that's a bad thing. It's not illegal to be a giant pissbaby, it's just mildly annoying (as long as you're not actively disrupting the courtroom, anyway).

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

mdemone posted:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Levitate posted:

it could be 100% above board and trump could be on video looking into the camera saying "I have committed voter fraud, treason, and taken bribes for the specific reason of them being bribes in order to return political favors and I'm a russian operative and piss tape is real and I'd do it all again gently caress america" and the RWM would say it's a witch hunt and call it freedom of speech

“He tells it like it is.”

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

"which is why he's been indicted 91-times"

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

IIRC the defamation/sexual assault cases were civil suits, so they should be "found liable" not "convicted"

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Nitrousoxide posted:

IIRC the defamation/sexual assault cases were civil suits, so they should be "found liable" not "convicted"

As is the NY civil fraud case

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Nitrousoxide posted:

Force the meme into right-wing spaces so they hate-click it and see how long it takes anyone to figure that out

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Nitrousoxide posted:

i kinda knew that even as i was doing it but i hate the distinction

like i know why there's the distinction and why i'll have to change it anyway but the verdict is He Done Did It, He Is Now New York's Biggest Lick

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

The Islamic Shock posted:

Force the meme into right-wing spaces so they hate-click it and see how long it takes anyone to figure that out

Tried it and doesn't work, they don't think that hard. It's an immediate jump to "DEEP STATE WITCH HUNT FBI CONSPIRACY"

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Total exoneration!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Jack Smith filed some stuff yesterday apparently: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.flsd.648653/gov.uscourts.flsd.648653.277.0.pdf

I didn't go through everything. This seems to be the summary, nothing new but as far as I can tell, but puts everything to date clearly on one page:

Someone dug up this stuff. One of the defense attorneys doesn't have a computer, the feds gave him one and provided tech support:

Waiting until the last day to do the homework seems like a classic move though

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
It’s great that our legal system just lets people with money delay things infinitely.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Ah, the issues with how almost every CCTV system uses a different type of program to store and play files. Now that's a legal issue I'm very familiar with.

Also if I had a dollar for everytime I've seen CCTV been downloaded and then months later, people discover it doesn't work, I'd have a fair chunk of change.

The twist on this one being the Government literally being able to say "we monitored your logs, we know you sat on this for months."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Milosh posted:

It’s great that our legal system just lets people with money delay things infinitely.
When you were a kid did you ever think how loving awesome it'd be to purchase the star powerup from Super Mario Bros. in real life
Yeah