Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

As a goldendoodle owner, I felt this is my soul.

Edit: doodle-snyped, lol

Mr. Bad Guy has a new favorite as of 06:29 on Feb 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

As a goldendoodle owner, I felt this is my soul.

Edit: doodle-snyped, lol

As a partner to someone who works at a vet , those dogs suck

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Sorry to clarify, poodles are an extremely intelligent hunting dog and need alot of input, mixed with the dumbest most lovable dog imaginable. Their coats suck to groom, they become neurotic because people expect a golden with fancy hair and not a bred hunter sitting around the house playing with the kids

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

credburn posted:

What the hell is wrong with you

Taste in music is subjective and mine is better. :smug:

But also all this talk made me go look them up on YouTube because I was sure I would recognize something and the first thing I saw was Do It Again. I remembered the song as soon as I heard it and while it is not a bad song, I still stand by everything I've said.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Sitting at a hipster coffee shop, all the kids are murmuring how they actually secretly love the same music that geriatric sysadmins do

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

Inceltown posted:

Steve Martin has a first name for a last name so you should never trust him.

:hai:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
It is possible that we have never learned his true last name, his final name.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Dameius posted:

I don't know a single Millennial that could even name a Steely Dan song much less say that they like them.

Oh come on, we all know Do It Again from Guitar Hero, if nothing else.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
It's unbelievable to me that millennials wouldn't immediately recognize Steely Dan vocalist Michael McDonald

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Soul Dentist posted:

It's unbelievable to me that millennials wouldn't immediately recognize Steely Dan vocalist Michael McDonald

SIR,

:mad:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Young people don't know a band that formed over 50 years ago? Wow, truly, society is crumbling.

E: And they also haven't released an album in 20 years, lmao.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Karate Bastard posted:

It is possible that we have never learned his true last name, his final name.

The Naming of Comedians is a difficult matter...

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Paladinus posted:

Young people don't know a band that formed over 50 years ago? Wow, truly, society is crumbling.

Lol at millennials being young people like it's still a Bush administration

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Soul Dentist posted:

Lol at millennials being young people like it's still a Bush administration

They are literally younger than the boomer band in question.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Paladinus posted:

Exactly how old do you think millennials are?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Around a thousand, give or take a bit?

E: was thinking of methuselans.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
I have 2 coworkers that refer to zoomers as millennials and themselves as gen xers. They are in their late 20s and I hate them both

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It actually goes:
Boomers
Gen X
Millenials
Boomers again
Zoomers
Millenials
Gen Z
Boomers somehow again
The really young ones
TBA

It's really pretty simple. Each generation is 2-25 years and the overlap varies greatly depending on moon alignment.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Hyperlynx posted:

Exactly how old do you think millennials are?

43 to 28. Which is roughly twice as young as original members of the band. No millennial was alive when the band broke up for the first time.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Inceltown posted:

Steve Martin has a first name for a last name so you should never trust him.

His name can also be abbreviated to St. Martin, which implies that he is devided between the Netherlands and France.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Paladinus posted:

43 to 28. Which is roughly twice as young as original members of the band. No millennial was alive when the band broke up for the first time.

Wasn't Steely Dan just the two guys?

Steely and Dan?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Close. St. Eely and Dan.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I was born in 1991 what am i classified as?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

90s kid. You should remember

Paladinus posted:

You can't convince me these guys aren't the hottest band of 2024

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 12:45 on Feb 3, 2024

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Sitting at a hipster coffee shop, all the kids are murmuring how they actually secretly love the same music that geriatric sysadmins do

The Cisco phone solutions hold music is perfect and immortal and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I do not know any Steely Dan songs but I do like other lame old bands such as The Who

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Peak millennial. I'm sorry you had to find out this way. 1990 myself.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Paladinus posted:

Right, and 43 to 28 isn't "young people", and when millenials were growing up they still got a lot of radio play. So saying "young people don't know about a 50 year old band" is a bit weird when they aren't young people any more, and the band was like 10-20 years old when they were.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I'm over 40 and have never heard the name steely dan irl in my life, only read it on the forums. I Googled their supposed top 20 and could only identify 1, some garbage from the 70s that was already classified as "oldies" music by radio stations in the 90s. Steely dan has never been relevant

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Oh well. I only know these three, from growing up listening to my folk listen to' "70s, 80s and 90s" radio. I think they're pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvg5mbM6FGs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfZWp-hGCdA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCgHTmv4YU8

Ironically the first one is about being out of touch with the youngins that you're loving. :shrug:

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 13:18 on Feb 3, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hmm. Yes, I honestly don't think there are many people my age who know much about Steely Dan, but then I'm not American.

That said, I absolutely agree that it's fine to be into music that went out of style decades ago, no matter how old or young you are. My favorite era in music history is the late seventies/early eighties, about ten years before I was born, just because I'm all about the sound and aesthetics of punk, hardcore, two tone, new wave, power pop, that sort of thing.

(e: pic mostly unrelated)

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 13:22 on Feb 3, 2024

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Hyperlynx posted:

Right, and 43 to 28 isn't "young people", and when millenials were growing up they still got a lot of radio play. So saying "young people don't know about a 50 year old band" is a bit weird when they aren't young people any more, and the band was like 10-20 years old when they were.

Listen, they are just not that big of a band, okay? I don't know what kind of radio play they had in the 90s, but if they weren't on MTV in your formative years or your parents weren't huge fans, very few people will know them. I was 15 when they released their last album, lmao. It's not like they were The Beatles of the 70s.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Jeez, bunch of steely stans in this thread

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Now if we're talking about Steeleye Span it's a different matter, I would listen to All Around My Hat any time

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Some of the best metal is being made today, and that makes me happy. Just wanted to mention that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Antigravitas posted:

Some of the best metal is being made today,

... just not by Steely Dan.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Love being 40 and 10 years into a second career and yet getting blamed for being a lovely student in today’s high schools/colleges or entry level job applicant pool.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I love being young. Literally the best age to be.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

the band was like 10-20 years old when they were.

I think a lot of people don't actually listen to twenty year old bands when they're in their teens and twenties. Also probably regional cause I didn't hear a lot of Steely Dan on the radio growing up. I listened to songs linked and I think I know a couple, kind of like how I know that one song from Supertramp.

But actually it's really weird and bad to not know the older bands I know so I agree. Everybody laughed at me for staning Bob Beluga and the Talkback Gang but I say they're the outcasts!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
WELL ACTUALLY I THINK YOU WILL FIND IT IS YOU WHO SHOULD BE GETTING OFF OF MY LAWN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Old man yells at the cloud.