Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Video games will absolutely never be a good medium to address serious issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Replaying Stick of Truth right now and it's still a perfect medium for stupid issues.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Doom seems like an adequate game for addressing the serious issues of ripping and tearing

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Booker catch. *reloads* Booker catch. *reloads* Booker catch. *reloads* Booker catch. *reloads* Booker catch. *reloads* Booker catch. *reloads* Booker catch. *reloads* Booker catch. *reloads* Booker catch. *reloads*. Give me two abilities I want you loving game I'm replaying you for combat ahhh gently caress it I'm done with this poo poo.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Doom seems like an adequate game for addressing the serious issues of ripping and tearing

Exactly! Press W, hold ctrl

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

that's all a video game needs to be

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Redezga posted:

Replaying Stick of Truth right now and it's still a perfect medium for stupid issues.

"Fighting khloe kardashian's abortion" is a phrase that makes sense thanks to that game

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

just checking, what kinds of art are allowed to address serious issues?

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

DontMockMySmock posted:

sitcoms

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

DontMockMySmock posted:

anything made of wood

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Tik-toks

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

DontMockMySmock posted:

Memes

specifically the kind of memes where other text is just superimposed on someone else's text because :effort:

That's where the truth is found

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

pipe down nerd, sorry you think Gone Home was deep lol

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

DontMockMySmock posted:

Farts.

Big rear end dumps are also acceptable.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

pipe down nerd, sorry you think Gone Home was deep lol

Never played it :shrug:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

People who say "actually all games are dumb and bad" are just terrified of having to defend the games they think are good.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
It's not fear, it's the experience of a lifetime of forum posting and knowing that the second you're defending anything you've already lost.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

People who say "actually all games are dumb and bad" are just terrified of having to defend the games they think are good.

all games ARE dumb and bad but I'll defend any of the ones I like and none of them will try to sloppily stupidly address topics like racism or slavery or sexual assault or whatever other stupid poo poo people get all moronic about

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

all games ARE dumb and bad but I'll defend any of the ones I like and none of them will try to sloppily stupidly address topics like racism or slavery or sexual assault or whatever other stupid poo poo people get all moronic about

And yet you post in the Battletech thread

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

MrQwerty posted:

And yet you post in the Battletech thread

mechs are cool dude come post with us

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

mechs are cool dude come post with us

I do that's why I posted that

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Most videogames are toys and aren't really the best setting to tackle some topics, but not every videogame needs to be a fun toy. Well, unless they want to sell it to other people or get them to do it.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Tackling big or important issues in a poor way and handling it like an idiot is hardly exclusive to video games tho. Games just have the real detriment of drawing that poo poo out for a lot more hours.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

This is the unpopular video game opinions thread so I post stupid poo poo but I don't actually care if games try to address serious topics, it's just not for me. For me all games should be Asteroids++. Give me a reason to do what I'm doing and let me do it, that's it. I just want to waste time and relax.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If games are gonna handle serious issues poorly they should at least have the decency to not be double digits of hours long imo

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I will say big budget games are basically the artistic equivalent of Marvel Movies, and Sturgeon's law still applies to everything else. I guess a few AAAs fooled some people for a while by having you be a dad.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
I haven’t played it but I hear Spec Ops: The Line does a fairly decent job of delivering a message.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

This is the unpopular video game opinions thread so I post stupid poo poo but I don't actually care if games try to address serious topics, it's just not for me. For me all games should be Asteroids++. Give me a reason to do what I'm doing and let me do it, that's it. I just want to waste time and relax.

Have you thought about drinking/doing drugs?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

how fish is made does a pretty good job of getting across the message that food is gross if you think about it too much

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Internet Old One posted:

I haven’t played it but I hear Spec Ops: The Line does a fairly decent job of delivering a message.

With a sledgehammer, but yeah.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Outpost22 posted:

Have you thought about drinking/doing drugs?

I am absolutely shitfaced at this very moment, as anyone posting in this thread should be

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Missile Command is high art.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I've only pre-ordered a single game in the last 10 or so years, and that was for the Resident Evil 2 Remake.

But here comes Dragon's Dogma 2, and I'm pulling that trigger again.

Don't let me down Capcom, ya fucks!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
When it comes to games getting messages across there is only one title you need talk about.

Seaman.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Games are as varied as any other art medium

Barudak
May 7, 2007

satanic splash-back posted:

Games are as varied as any other art medium

I'd argue they're not old enough yet to result in hilarious linguistic shifts like what happened to this excerpt from an old novel.

"For papa, growing quite excited, would stand up in the boat and pluck at the branches, and would not see that nutting on dry land, and nutting in a boat over fifteen or twenty feet of water, were two very different things."

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Vakal posted:

I've only pre-ordered a single game in the last 10 or so years, and that was for the Resident Evil 2 Remake.

But here comes Dragon's Dogma 2, and I'm pulling that trigger again.

Don't let me down Capcom, ya fucks!

Capcom of all people do not need your early dollars to help secure funding, you are certainly better of just buying it once it comes out. No, the squeaky toy pre-order bonus is not worth it.

edit: poo poo wrong thread. Uhh, Not-very-unpopular video game opinion, intended to be inflammitory: Pre-ordering in the modern day and age is for absolute pidgeons, total schmucks. The local video game store isn't gonna run out of hard copies, companies are just riding on gamers not engaging their frontal lobe and being unable to express interest or curiosity without pulling out their wallet, Pavlov-conditioning style.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 4, 2024

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I've started preordering games I want to play like a day before they come out since by then people have usually played the whole thing and have a good idea if anything's wrong and you can usually get ~15-20% off + preorder bonus on isthereanydeal.com. Games just don't go on sale like they used to anyway.

RE3 is the only time that's lead me astray.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

From Software games are worth the preorder just to be able to play it those first few discovery weeks when nobody know poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Yeah if it's a game that you've got your heart set on buying, there's no reason not to preorder for early access and/or bonus content. Preordering is only dumb if you're on the fence and bad reviews could dissuade you.