Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Your instinct of going Vindicator is a very good one, it's extremely powerful, and will help you power through any PvE content. Revenant as a whole is just strong. Preach, the WoW streamer, played GW2 and cleared end game content with Vindicator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

I just finished the story as well. Felt lame to have to wait until max level to do it. “Congrats on hitting the cap, here’s some more single player stuff to do.”

Zhaitan looked cooler than I expected, though it was kind of anticlimactic to beat him by spamming 1 on the cannons. I imagine it was cooler back in the day, with a party. He also seemed disconnected from the story for the most part and doesn’t speak, that I remember, so it didn’t feel like a big deal to beat him.

What are the coolest things available to a F2P 80? Trying to get groups together for old dungeons? Exploring, slowly? I might get expansions later, but am in no rush for now.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Jedah posted:

Your instinct of going Vindicator is a very good one, it's extremely powerful, and will help you power through any PvE content. Revenant as a whole is just strong. Preach, the WoW streamer, played GW2 and cleared end game content with Vindicator.

I like big sword. Back in the olden days I really wanted to get Eternity, now I guess you can craft one through the long legendary crafting thing but I kind of don't want one that bad. Though I guess it has better stats than the exotic I have now. I've only just started learning about legendary crafting! Seems like a hassle.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

FishBowlRobot posted:

What are the coolest things available to a F2P 80? Trying to get groups together for old dungeons? Exploring, slowly? I might get expansions later, but am in no rush for now.

Honestly a lot of baseline features are locked behind expansions. I'd consider picking up HoT and PoF (which are bought together) which will give you access to 2/3rds of the elite specs, a good chunk more story (if you're into that - if you're not almost all of it can be skipped), most of the mounts and some of the better end-game meta events. The elite specs alone really open up the game - almost nobody plays the base specs outside of, like, guardian in PvP and maybe minion necro for afk farming.

To actually address your question... you can do dungeons, but they are all but abandoned. Half the mechanics are extremely obtuse and don't exist elsewhere in the game, and balance is all over the place. People don't often run them. I think you can do fractals without expansions? These are the replacement for small group PvE content that see ongoing development. Pugs will generally expect you to have a half-way decent build though, which is difficult without elite specs. I think base-spec power engi is still viable? T1 fractals are extremely easy though. Having a viable build is only really going to matter for T4s.

There are strike missions, but only one is available without expansions. All the raids are locked behind HoT and PoF. Many of the most popular meta-events are part of expansions or living world seasons.

WvW and PvP are accessible without expansions, but again you will suffer there from not having access to elite specs.

I'd consider F2P an extended tutorial, and one that isn't particularly representative of the end-game. If I was going to pick up the game now, I'd buy all the expansions and use the level 80 boosts on my first characters. But I'd know I like the game and was going to spend some time with it.

edit: I should mention masteries - they're so core to the game that I don't even think of them, but they become available at level 80 to non-F2P accounts, and enable such things as mounts, gliding and automatic looting across all characters on your account.

..btt fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 2, 2024

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ngl I'm still a newbie but I'm having SO much fun with the PVE and leveling 1-80 that I almost don't want to dig into the strikes/fractals/pvp/wvw/etcetcetc stuff. I mean I'm going to, I'm excited to! I just think that exploring the world in GW2 is really neat and I like doing hearts. :shobon:

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

ngl I'm still a newbie but I'm having SO much fun with the PVE and leveling 1-80 that I almost don't want to dig into the strikes/fractals/pvp/wvw/etcetcetc stuff. I mean I'm going to, I'm excited to! I just think that exploring the world in GW2 is really neat and I like doing hearts. :shobon:

Oh yeah, totally, you can have a lot of fun with that content - but you can do it just as well with an end-game character with a fun elite spec and earn experience toward masteries or spirit shards instead of "useless" character experience.

On the other hand, there is no rush, this is not a vertical progression game and structured group PvE is not a development focus anymore. So take your time and do what you want.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

..btt posted:

Oh yeah, totally, you can have a lot of fun with that content - but you can do it just as well with an end-game character with a fun elite spec and earn experience toward masteries or spirit shards instead of "useless" character experience.

On the other hand, there is no rush, this is not a vertical progression game and structured group PvE is not a development focus anymore. So take your time and do what you want.

On the one hand it's 'useless', on the other hand I'm not paying for level boosts and I expect to get more alts.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
You will never, ever have to buy a level 80 boost. Unless you want 9 max level characters right now. You get one free with each expansion. At end-game you get instant level books (just for one level) from doing various content. I have a stack of 250 in my bank. I've probably used over 1000 for spirit shards. You will be given 10 when your first character hits 80.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Nuebot posted:

I like big sword. Back in the olden days I really wanted to get Eternity, now I guess you can craft one through the long legendary crafting thing but I kind of don't want one that bad. Though I guess it has better stats than the exotic I have now. I've only just started learning about legendary crafting! Seems like a hassle.

That's an awesome long-term goal, Eternity is gorgeous. If you have the Soto expansion, you can access the Wizard's Vault to acquire ascended gear, and pickup an ascended Greatsword. (same stats as a legendary). Zojja (Berserker) stats are selectable out of the box and that's ideal.

If you enjoy big sword and big bursts of damage, you can't go wrong with Vindi. Plus, if you decide you'd like to be top tier group support, Herald could be an alt spec to explore.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

FishBowlRobot posted:

I just finished the story as well. Felt lame to have to wait until max level to do it. “Congrats on hitting the cap, here’s some more single player stuff to do.”

Zhaitan looked cooler than I expected, though it was kind of anticlimactic to beat him by spamming 1 on the cannons. I imagine it was cooler back in the day, with a party. He also seemed disconnected from the story for the most part and doesn’t speak, that I remember, so it didn’t feel like a big deal to beat him.

World boss trains are super fun big fights back to back. You could work on map completion, which should be pretty easy if you like doing hearts, it's mostly just going around and seeing a lot of the core Tyria.
Be buff as gently caress and smash into huge bosses with lots of people. Really, that's the most fun the game has.

If you wanna run fractals or dungeons then hit chat or discord.

But... The coolest things to do at 80 are go back to anywhere you had a hard time and just kill everything and laugh at how much you got better.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

FishBowlRobot posted:

It was not cooler back in the day. He has always been that bad, it's just that at first you had to do it at the end of a real long dungeon that was impossible to do by yourself (maybe I should say impractical, I'm sure some crazy people soloed it). It's actually kind of amazing they never went back and did an overhaul of that battle.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Nuebot posted:

The first legendary is a hurdle, but after you do it once you'll find it's not as much of a bother as it seems.

Use gw2efficiency.com to track the steps and what materials you need and it's a breeze.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
Legendaries are a fun project!

I will say this - you can now craft precursers, including gen 1. HOWEVER - be sure to check the craft vs trading post price. It is almost always cheaper to just buy the gen 1 pre. Yes, there are achievements in the quest but there is also a hefty gold sink that will make you sad.

re: what do to as a f2p - there are dungeons, there are fractals, there is world comp, there is the personal story, there collecting all of the pets as a ranger (its per character so if you decide to roll a second ranger, you do it again lol). You can take the dailies as a guide on what to do - do your dailies to get your 2 gold per day if you don't have wizard bux on your account.

Things I recommend people do per day: Tequatl - you get 2 gold and a chance at shiny weapons. Leyline anomaly - you get a mystic coin. You can sell it or hoard it. I recommend hoarding it because you'll need it later on for a project. What project? I don't know your life but you'll need it. Harvest guild halls - yes, you can harvest multiple as long as the nodes aren't at the same level. Easy money/free resources. Farm a home instance. Go to rata sum and either ask in map chat or join someone who is offering one. Easy money.

Right now - you should be buying and selling the 1g red envelopes if you like money. If you like gambling, open them up. The meta is really easy - easier than wintersday - and you can turn yourself into a dragon. Do that every day. You can buy the 1g ones every day and get 'bonus' ones doing events. You can also get some via the guild hall using guild comms - to get those, you need to do guild missions which happen every Saturday 30 minutes after reset.

What else - there are other big events that are fun - guilds organize for Triple Trouble approx 4 hours after reset for that. There is marionette, although typically the big one is right at reset. TT is a bit ... buggy atm in that it melts like butter so it is taking a bit more coordination than usual to get it killed.

I don't know what the population it is for it now but Old Lion's Arch is a public event, as well as the Twisted Tower every x hours - you have to have a big group for those things.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

ghost story posted:

Right now - you should be buying and selling the 1g red envelopes if you like money. If you like gambling, open them up. The meta is really easy - easier than wintersday - and you can turn yourself into a dragon. Do that every day. You can buy the 1g ones every day and get 'bonus' ones doing events. You can also get some via the guild hall using guild comms - to get those, you need to do guild missions which happen every Saturday 30 minutes after reset.

Selling them to a vendor or on the trading post?

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

FishBowlRobot posted:

Selling them to a vendor or on the trading post?

The trading post.

Another thing you can check out post 80 is achievements / collections. There are some fun ones and some easy ones with good rewards.

Like the cat scavenger hunt: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hungry_cat_scavenger_hunt
or Uncanny Canner for a 20-slot bag https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Uncanny_Canner
or the Eldvin Monastery Brew of the Month Club https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Eldvin_Monastery_Brew_of_the_Month_Club

MajorBonnet fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 2, 2024

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Rev is so weird to me because I'm not sure if I really need to do anything else besides activate the assassin stance thing that doubles my attacks and then hit men

Though tbf my Rev is only like level 40 atm

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Meowywitch posted:

Rev is so weird to me because I'm not sure if I really need to do anything else besides activate the assassin stance thing that doubles my attacks and then hit men

It can get more complicated than that but there's also just a beauty in the simplicity that Revenant can be played by just toggling on one of the sustain skills and slamming your weapon into an enemy until it stops moving.

It's basically how you run the Quickness Herald build anyhow and that's pretty beloved as far as boon support goes.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vindicator is the best and funnest spec just fyi to all new players

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Meowywitch posted:

occasionally swap to Jalis and turn on spinny hammers when you're out of energy

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Jedah posted:

That's an awesome long-term goal, Eternity is gorgeous. If you have the Soto expansion, you can access the Wizard's Vault to acquire ascended gear, and pickup an ascended Greatsword. (same stats as a legendary). Zojja (Berserker) stats are selectable out of the box and that's ideal.

If you enjoy big sword and big bursts of damage, you can't go wrong with Vindi. Plus, if you decide you'd like to be top tier group support, Herald could be an alt spec to explore.

I'm incredibly picky on skins and fashion stuff and Eternity is one of a small handful of legendaries I even like the look of, and obviously things I like get priority! I've got a few ascended chests because my wizard thing had filled up. I got Secrets of the Obscure though, I've been hoping for a living world sale or something so I Can catch up on the story I missed in the years since I stopped playing! I've really fallen for the game all over again.

MajorBonnet posted:

The first legendary is a hurdle, but after you do it once you'll find it's not as much of a bother as it seems.

Use gw2efficiency.com to track the steps and what materials you need and it's a breeze.

Yeah my friends got me to sign up for that site, so once I start doing that I'll have to make use of it.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Nuebot posted:

I'm incredibly picky on skins and fashion stuff and Eternity is one of a small handful of legendaries I even like the look of, and obviously things I like get priority!

For the gen 1 greatswords Sunrise, Twilight, and Eternity, make sure you look up videos of the weapons in action, i.e., from a normal camera angle being used during actual gameplay, and not just a video for showing off the weapon. The way that the textures are implemented, your camera angle will dictate the colors you actually see. Here's an old Reddit thread complaining that, with the downward-facing camera that you'll typically be using for 95% of the game, all you get is a brown-orange color with Sunrise: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4mgg4b/i_wish_we_could_flip_the_image_in_sunrise/?rdt=44891

Unfortunately even the in-game preview panel doesn't do a good job, since it's locked to a perfectly horizontal angle that doesn't reflect how you'd actually be playing the game

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

404notfound posted:

For the gen 1 greatswords Sunrise, Twilight, and Eternity, make sure you look up videos of the weapons in action, i.e., from a normal camera angle being used during actual gameplay, and not just a video for showing off the weapon. The way that the textures are implemented, your camera angle will dictate the colors you actually see. Here's an old Reddit thread complaining that, with the downward-facing camera that you'll typically be using for 95% of the game, all you get is a brown-orange color with Sunrise: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4mgg4b/i_wish_we_could_flip_the_image_in_sunrise/?rdt=44891

Unfortunately even the in-game preview panel doesn't do a good job, since it's locked to a perfectly horizontal angle that doesn't reflect how you'd actually be playing the game

That's a good point, I've seen plenty of other people with them in-game and they always look cool to me.

EDIT: Today was also a good haul, for me at least, from the new years dailies. I finally got a lucky lantern and like fifteen gold to make up for how much I've been spending on envelopes daily.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 3, 2024

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Are you buying envelopes off the TP?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

No, I'm getting them from the vendor, the 16 big ones daily which is like a total of 16g spent on those a day, usually I break even selling the junk but today there was profit.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

StrixNebulosa posted:

yay, I love to see stuff like this! I'm glad for people getting to actually enjoy the game freshly and not become a bitter geezer like me lol. If you enjoy doing hearts I would absolutely recommend doing world completion in that case and further recommend working on a gen 1 legendary as a result.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
For me, friendship with renown hearts only ended after the 2nd character doing world completion. I really liked them as a change of pace in the first year or so of the game. So as long as you enjoy them, ignore all the instant 80 advice and just take in the views etc.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
FYI: you can buy up to 3x Divine Envelopes each day with Guild Commendations during this event, so if you're sitting on some it's one of the best ways to convert them to gold.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

orcane posted:

For me, friendship with renown hearts only ended after the 2nd character doing world completion. I really liked them as a change of pace in the first year or so of the game. So as long as you enjoy them, ignore all the instant 80 advice and just take in the views etc.

I used my instant 80's just to free the shared slots in my inventory because those are insanely useful. I genuinely don't mind leveling up in this game and if I had more gems, I'd totally buy a character slot for every class.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Nuebot posted:

I used my instant 80's just to free the shared slots in my inventory because those are insanely useful. I genuinely don't mind leveling up in this game and if I had more gems, I'd totally buy a character slot for every class.

A character slot for each RACE of each class!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

oh come on, nobody plays Norn

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

fantasy gurl or whatever that bikini waring norn would disagree.

And Lonk will too

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Meowywitch posted:

The voice actor for female Norn went from flat affect/bored out of her mind to very good/emotional as the game matured, that was a nice surprise.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Meowywitch posted:

I accidentally made two. My second character, made during my initial play time, was a norn mesmer.

Then I forgot he existed when I came back and made a norn necromancer. So now my slots are full of every race except human, because I have two hugemans.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Norn are cool as long as they're not Eir's (extended) family.

Also

Jedah posted:

The voice actor for female Norn went from flat affect/bored out of her mind to very good/emotional as the game matured, that was a nice surprise.
is

and it's great :colbert:

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Female sylvari still beats everyone else. Not saying the rest is bad, but not as good.

orcane posted:

Does Garm count as extended family? Although on second thought, he's not a norn anyway.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hey, big shoutout to goons in the GOON guild for basically going "oh you don't know what a fractal is? come with us" and a full party and lots of loot later I know what fractals are! And I got two cool purple bags out of it, too! Thank you!

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hey, big shoutout to goons in the GOON guild for basically going "oh you don't know what a fractal is? come with us" and a full party and lots of loot later I know what fractals are! And I got two cool purple bags out of it, too! Thank you!

Yay! Glad you had fun, that was a good time in there. I'm learning Fractals too so I'm always down for grouping/learning.

orcane posted:

Also

is

and it's great :colbert:

Haha, I wasn't ready for the throwback AOL keyword photo, amazing. I think she didn't receive strong voice direction in the base story, and by the expansions/Living World, she really got into the character and found her groove.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I feel like that's an issue with a few characters in the early story and living world content, characters who have good voices but don't seem to get much direction so they don't emote particularly well despite clearly having range.

EDIT: So how would I go about gearing up my characters? It seems like everything just kind of wants the same poo poo; Berserker prefixes on basically everything.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 4, 2024

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jedah posted:

Haha, I wasn't ready for the throwback AOL keyword photo, amazing. I think she didn't receive strong voice direction in the base story, and by the expansions/Living World, she really got into the character and found her groove.
I'm also lurking in the B5 threads here and thought this photo was just right, instead of the other image search results :v:

But yeah I haven't played vanilla story quests in ages, I just like the combat barks and what I remember from the LS3/4/IBS stuff I did with my norn characters. I should "order" my character selection and take a norn school reunion pic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Nuebot posted:

I feel like that's an issue with a few characters in the early story and living world content, characters who have good voices but don't seem to get much direction so they don't emote particularly well despite clearly having range.

EDIT: So how would I go about gearing up my characters? It seems like everything just kind of wants the same poo poo; Berserker prefixes on basically everything.

For berserker gear specifically, the best option is probably the TP for armor and weapons. You don't want the things named berserker, though.

There is a named armor set for each weight: Zhed's, Nika's, Devona's for light, medium, heavy respectively.

Weapons usually have a similar thing with a named weapon with berserker stats being way cheaper than the Berserker's X.

You can search the TP by stat lines, so you can select power, precision, and ferocity to find gear with the right stats, filter to level 80 and make sure power is the highest number.

Trinkets are weird, exotic trinkets are a worse deal than ascended depending on what you own. If you own living world 3 or 4, you should definitely skip exotic trinkets and farm map currency in those maps to buy ascended trinkets. Laurels are also a good way to get some initial ascended trinkets for core stats like berserker.

This guide lays out everything about gearing in detail and I probably should have just linked it instead of writing all that:
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/User:Tanetris/So_You_Want_To_Gear_a_Character

MajorBonnet fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Feb 4, 2024