Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

turning a game into vampire survivors sounds epic win actually

It's totally fun when the game leans into it, it's less fun when it doesn't really support the density needed to make that feel good

Warm Snow generally does, just cuz making the screen explode in a variety of ways is pretty fun - but it raises the point that 'actually pressing buttons' is just needless hand fatigue in mass slaying games if there's no meaningful decisions involved in that button pushing, something VS will hopefully propagate to the entire industry

Astral Ascent is basically 'mash MP attacks always' which is both fatiguing and lame because there's no decision making involved, all the decisions are made as you add gambits that gradually break the game (or don't, and you die and/or skill your way through the fights)

Oblivion Override has abilities that do combo in distinct ways, and has upgrades that encourage certain simple usage patterns - a lot of weapon/mech abilities do need to be targeted to be most effective.

BlazBlue is kind of a mix. On a lot of characters you spam summon/legacy x2/skill on cooldown, on others you may actually mix up your moves situationally depending on the terrain and enemy/boss type and what you specced into with your build.

Figuring out where a horde slaying game of any stripe should fall is not an easy design problem to solve, because it's not a problem to a lot of people, some people *want* to just mash butan (lol diablo/poe), or mash build (VS/path of achra/poe), others want some form of skill expression, whether that's for intrinsic or extrinsic rewards (fighting games/character action games)

It feels bad when the game doesn't put you up against a suitable challenge that feels fun to smash (most VS clones, much of D4), or if you feel like you're just doomed because you didn't luck or plan into the right scaling/gear/build (risk of rain 1, poe)

I shouldn't write posts in the AM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Serephina posted:

Oh yea shields are great, I just kinda steal them off of others in the endgame instead. I kinda ignored early defensive spells until trying to make mono-fire 'work' forced me to wake up. Ended up appreciating Holy Armour for some face-tanking while everything dies to meteor shower. But like the blue lion is dang expensive so early, I always assumed it was for buffing allies and if it was the only summon on the field it'd eat poo poo too fast.

Why the random point in poison sting, needed to kill a single dark-immune in the early game?

I just like poison sting; it's a pet card. It's a cantrip, it does okay damage, and it's great for dealing with those jerks who have no health and a billion shields (at least the ones that aren't poison immune).

I do usually take blue lions much later; I took em so early this game because I do have more of an ally blob.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Blazblue needs harder stage enemies scaling with entropy (this is something Oblivion Override does really well) or at the very least some of their entropy modifiers need to add more enemies. Elites with enchantments would be good too because that worked in Hades.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 3, 2024

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Serephina posted:

Wheren's there a bunch of people here who bounced off of Cogmind since the readability was poor on small screens? The dev's been making lots of noise about having redone the entire frontend to allow UI scaling, so it might be worth checking out again soon - I'll make more noise when it officially drops.

now there's some super good news. cogmind whips rear end even if my eyes aren't always up to playing it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Serephina posted:

Wheren's there a bunch of people here who bounced off of Cogmind since the readability was poor on small screens? The dev's been making lots of noise about having redone the entire frontend to allow UI scaling, so it might be worth checking out again soon - I'll make more noise when it officially drops.

Oh poo poo this is huge. I was able to handle the small UI in Cogmind but this makes it so much more readable which will make playing it go more smoothly.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

No Wave posted:

Blazblue needs harder stage enemies scaling with entropy (this is something Oblivion Override does really well) or at the very least some of their entropy modifiers need to add more enemies. Elites with enchantments would be good too because that worked in Hades.

Game good?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

More of these action roguelite developers should actually play Devil May Cry or Streets of Rage or something.

Not to belabor the obvious, but Devil May Cry-style combat is not trivial to implement. There's a pretty tight relationship between things like:

- How long attack animations take
- How big the AoEs are on attacks
- What can be cancelled into/out of what
- How long each enemy takes to die
- How fast the player can move

etc etc etc and when you start fudging the numbers, things can easily fall apart. Consider Devil May Cry 3's "Dante Must Die" mode, where enemies gain devil triggers that make them take something like 10x longer to kill. It turns fights into unfun slogs (plus some tedious enemy health management to try to minimize the number of enemies that get to trigger). Typically you end up spamming jump-cancelled Killer Bee kicks, because that's your best DPS by a wide margin. And to contrast, consider the easy modes in most games in the series, where you can pretty much just do whatever, because enemies die too quickly to put up a fight.

To put it another way: saying "just don't let powerups imbalance your moveset" is undercutting the difficulty of that task, when your moveset is tightly-tuned from the get go to avoid those imbalances.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
action gameplay that feels right (e.g. doesn't devolve into either tedium or rocket tag) and RPG-style scaling are almost inherently antagonistic to each other. wish more devs realized this

honestly lots of action games that have progression could stand to just... not. but if you must, take a page from metroidvanias and zelda and the like and make it about new capabilities instead of bumping the numbers up on existing ones. if there must be a random element, make it about the order, not the degree, of abilities you get, etc.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 3, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

action gameplay that feels right (e.g. doesn't devolve into either tedium or rocket tag) and RPG-style scaling are almost inherently antagonistic to each other. wish more devs realized this

honestly lots of action games that have progression could stand to just... not. but if you must, take a page from metroidvanias and zelda and the like and make it about new capabilities instead of bumping the numbers up on existing ones. if there must be a random element, make it about the order, not the degree, of abilities you get, etc.

Yeah, I totally agree.

A beat'em'up roguelike's in-run progression being about what order you unlock your moves and maybe even having mutually exclusive moves, so that you are forced to improvise using a unique move set every run, might work well for that kind of game.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

lead a cult, its fun and profitable, make sure to lead your followers in prayer tho

Ashem is fun with a cult

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The pitfall with Metroidvania/Zelda design is that there's a tendency to devolve into lock-and-key patterns where you get a new ability that is used to progress past specific obstacles and is otherwise irrelevant. Giving new capabilities that are fun and impactful without upsetting balance is still a big design ask (which is part of the reason Metroids traditionally give up on "without upsetting balance" and just let the last few upgrades go OP)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The move diversity issue in Entropy Effect is mostly that they went with a shared mana pool between all skills instead of separate cooldowns like other action roguelikes (Dead Cells, Oblivion Override, Skul). Mana pools are fun in that you get to have more of a sense of going in and having a damage spike as you spend all your mana then back off, but sharing the mana pool between most moves means it only makes sense to spend all your MP on your best move.

w00tmonger posted:

Game good?
It is, but it doesn't get more interesting with higher entropy (their name for heat, ascension, etc) the way it could with some fairly easy implementations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I played more Balatro.

Holy poo poo this is good. I am now very glad I picked it up only now so I didn't have to wait what, six months? for release.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Path of Achra - Frenzied Chant update

quote:

Added Frenzied Chant, fire, on game turn / prayer deal 25 psychic damage to self, then apply inflame and perform a number of extra attacks based on skill level
Plague Chant now deals 25 poison damage to self, duration per level reduced to 2
Geistform now limits speed to 10, and is applied before Drakeform
Grave Chant now only does 25 ice self-damage, cost raised to 4
Uspori now summons a Bukavac familiar with a paralyzing hit
Added Rage Fetish, applies Berserk on stand still and deals Slash damage in a path based on berserk stacks
Added Emerald Chakram, summons a serpent and give +5 speed to all allies when you kill an enemy
Added Agni Skirt, Agni Helm, Agni Chestplate --- apply effects and receive self-damage through various sources, heal on prayer
Red Axe changed to "on killing an enemy"
Intabah fixed to only use adjacent attacks
Gave Emerald / Transal Chakrams projectile sprites
Other typos / bugs

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 3, 2024

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm trying to avoid this by including a deckbuilder style hand of cards into my game. It'll have reloads and shield regen as well as abilities. That way, you still have to manage with your early choices and you have to be a bit more diverse in how you snowball

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

the description for it says nothing about it at all but i'm trying out the zealot class for the first time in achra and it's spawning these little Fanatic guy familiars on entrance, which makes it a lot more interesting than the "you get more prayers" description would suggest

edit: oh it's from the starting equipment, okay, I should pay more attention to those

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

cock hero flux posted:

the description for it says nothing about it at all but i'm trying out the zealot class for the first time in achra and it's spawning these little Fanatic guy familiars on entrance, which makes it a lot more interesting than the "you get more prayers" description would suggest

edit: oh it's from the starting equipment, okay, I should pay more attention to those

yeah i think it's the hat that gives you the little dudes

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

No Wave posted:

The move diversity issue in Entropy Effect is mostly that they went with a shared mana pool between all skills instead of separate cooldowns like other action roguelikes (Dead Cells, Oblivion Override, Skul). Mana pools are fun in that you get to have more of a sense of going in and having a damage spike as you spend all your mana then back off, but sharing the mana pool between most moves means it only makes sense to spend all your MP on your best move.

It is, but it doesn't get more interesting with higher entropy (their name for heat, ascension, etc) the way it could with some fairly easy implementations.

it's actually even worse than that because some characters have SP skills that only charge off one move, meaning any other setup won't charge them if you use the MP elsewhere

it's fixable, but requires them to acknowledge it's an issue in the first place

I haven't seen entropy 20+yet, but so far it's just enemy health and boss behavior buffs - OO and AA both have more elites as part of their difficulty scaling

again, easily fixable

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!

Captain Foo posted:

Path of Achra - Frenzied Chant update

Frenzied chant is another big use case for Kairos Skirt it seems, sounds very strong.

I finally cleared champion and martial purist, using a build that actually had anti synergy with champion. Apostate, skeleton, oros. Oros is very very good for constantly refreshing divine intervention, so I ended up with over 60 in each stat by end game. Having 2 range meant I got no bonuses from champion, but high pugilism, ruddy fist and those stats meant I healed for 5000 per attack, and I was attacking on block, shrug off, and dodge.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

I love that achra is basically just smashing together a few key words and coming up with janky combos.

Like it really has very little complexity beyond coming up with a combo, Hoping the items you find mesh with it and going from there. Love this dumb rear end game and it surprises me that it accomplishes so much with so little

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It took me a couple runs to really get it but throwing another "Balatro is great" out there. Would love to have that game on my phone.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

cock hero flux posted:

Yeah every class starts with one unique piece of equipment that does something extra, it's the purple colored one on the setup screen

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I just beat Blazblue Entropy Effect and while I still think the game is good in its current state its on the cusp of becoming something much greater I feel. The file boss battle was a nice call back to actual Blazblue.

Hakumen carried me through on entropy 45 because I really abused his block and iframes afterwards. I take back what I said, if every character had a defensive as strong as Hakumen's block it'd be way too overpowered. It's active for a really really long time and if you get just a little bit of MP regen stuff it's up for pretty much everything you need it to be. But because of that, I think I'm permanently gluing Hakumen to my future runs to have a block option.

I have no idea how to unlock the true ending though. Getting phenomena seems to be completely random. I'll be inheriting my save and trying to fill out the tactics tree next.

The only entropy options that change up how you play are the ones that restrict your options at the end of each stage. Cutting off powerups and not being able to see all the options the next stage is really makes you have to figure out how to use every part of your character's kit and the other tactics because you can't aim for what you want with any sense of reliability anymore.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Hyper Inferno posted:

I just beat Blazblue Entropy Effect and while I still think the game is good in its current state its on the cusp of becoming something much greater I feel. The file boss battle was a nice call back to actual Blazblue.

Hakumen carried me through on entropy 45 because I really abused his block and iframes afterwards. I take back what I said, if every character had a defensive as strong as Hakumen's block it'd be way too overpowered. It's active for a really really long time and if you get just a little bit of MP regen stuff it's up for pretty much everything you need it to be. But because of that, I think I'm permanently gluing Hakumen to my future runs to have a block option.

I have no idea how to unlock the true ending though. Getting phenomena seems to be completely random. I'll be inheriting my save and trying to fill out the tactics tree next.

The only entropy options that change up how you play are the ones that restrict your options at the end of each stage. Cutting off powerups and not being able to see all the options the next stage is really makes you have to figure out how to use every part of your character's kit and the other tactics because you can't aim for what you want with any sense of reliability anymore.

Kiran was my win on D15 in Astral Ascent, and Conte was my first win in Oblivion Override - counters are completely op in games with clear incoming telegraphs..

That said I prefer Hakumen as a support, not a main :v: His moveset feels clunky to me, but I haven't done a full build on him yet, busy with other chars.

edit: Ok OO gets some pretty sweet upgrades as you progress difficulty tiers, there's a whole mech upgrade system

victrix fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 4, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tarnished Blood is pretty cool.
The combat reminds a little of Ronin, which I liked a lot, but more complex.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Perhaps the first time a Roguelike's official description has included "scuffed": Path to Slime

https://slimeinspace.itch.io/path-to-slime

quote:

I'm a narcissist who made an entire game based on myself where the Slime is known as an immortal all knowing god. The goal of the game is to find... the path to slime, all the while fighting against corrupted beings, getting stronger in the process (as well as dying a few times). You may be wondering, what's the purpose of finding the slime...? Who knows. But I'm sure there are a plenty of reasons for wanting to finding an omnipotent being.

This is a scuffed home-made traditional roguelike game with a bit of a soulslike inspiration featuring:

Permadeath
Several different types of level and map generation
Getting lost
Bad pixel art that makes ASCII look high quality in comparison
Lots of spells
Dynamic lighting
Stat variety for different build types
Getting lost again
Dozens of varying enemies and powerful bosses
Armour and fashion
Lore and dozens of written notes
Slimes
Still lost

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Stayed up til 230am playing Balatro this is gonna be a dangerous game when it's released

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Slotducks posted:

Stayed up til 230am playing Balatro this is gonna be a dangerous game when it's released

It's also coming out on consoles, apparently, so now I have to decide if I want to play it on my PC or from the comfort of my sofa... Of course the PC version might also work well on the Steam Deck.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Balatro is going to be a game I’ll be playing every single day

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

This seems like a cool idea.

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow Reprise
A romhack of the GBA original that has procedurally-generated roguelite features.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Slotducks posted:

The playtest from 6 months ago was even more fun than this demo is, I've been booting the demo up to get my fix and it's been reminding me of the playtest and making me want the full release even harder.

I really hope they have a strong release, the game's so good that they really deserve it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It's also coming out on consoles, apparently, so now I have to decide if I want to play it on my PC or from the comfort of my sofa... Of course the PC version might also work well on the Steam Deck.

I played the demo entirely on deck, works great.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Ofecks posted:

This seems like a cool idea.

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow Reprise
A romhack of the GBA original that has procedurally-generated roguelite features.

Oh this is pointed directly at me, time to check this out.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Speaking of Roguelikes on the deck, the beta branch of Nuclear Throne that lets you set the frame rate to whatever feels GREAT at 90. Unfortunately it also crashed on me at least once on deck and another time on PC, so ymmv. I played a fair amount so it wasn't particularly often, but still feels slightly worse than the normal ways runs suddenly end.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Blazblu is a riot.

Took me a minute to realize how ascension affected abilities. Initially I thought it was just levelling them up, but it's really nice that each bullet point is some aspect that you can slowly fill in our of order.

No loving clue what half the things I'm collecting are, how buffs/rebuffs/tactics etc all work, but Im sure I'll get there

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Advent of Goose aspected DiceCard doings: DICEOMANCER demo

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2501600/DICEOMANCER/

quote:

DICEOMANCER is a roguelike deck-building game. Despite aspiring to live a peaceful life, fate forced you to embark on an adventure. Make the most of your deck and dice in a world filled with swords, magic, and guns, all to restore the tranquility you once knew!

Your original plan was to go on a fishing trip; however, you got caught in a dangerous battle. You gained a strange dice power during the crisis - the ability to change the numbers on any interface. Utilize this power wisely and embark on your adventure!

Diverse Card Strategies
As you progress, you will unlock 5 elemental card mana. From these, you will choose 3 to form your initial deck.
There are over 200 cards and 100 treasures. Challenge as many enemies as possible to expand and improve your deck!

Outrageous Dice Battles
What can a dice do? Modify your enemies' stats, adjust your own HP, and alter card effects. Carefully allocate your deck and strategize your moves!

Unexpected Hand-painted Arts Throughout
Proud to call it the peak of the hand-painted era, with 8 frames per second. Hand-painted over 20 sets of backgrounds and 30 enemies.
Immersively experience this magical adventure from the first-person perspective!

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Echoing the love for Balatro. Playing it everyday basically.

Spare Trousers is gonna work this time, bro. Trust me, bro. This is the run.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
I suck at Rift Wizard and feel like I'm missing something. I keep getting overwhelmed in realm 8ish.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Agrinja posted:

I suck at Rift Wizard and feel like I'm missing something. I keep getting overwhelmed in realm 8ish.

Are you able to post build screenshots of failed runs? There's a lot of different ways to play and a lot of different things that can go wrong.

My style of playing is a bit contentious but I will say this: buying level 2 spells at a discount circle for 1 SP is some of the best value in the game and there are a lot of handy level 2 spells that are very worth buying, even (sometimes especially) if they don't fit your build. RW's enemy design intentionally punishes going all in on one thing so having inexpensive, efficient diversity can help handle situations that your main build would struggle with. Plus, padding out your spell list helps you get more mileage from each mana potion since you get a lot of charges of filler spells to burn to preserve your more important spells. This is especially important if you're crashing and burning early on when enemies are still weak; instead of trying to stretch one good spell far enough to clear levels full of early game trash mobs you might as well pick up a bunch of low-level, high-ammo spells on the cheap to blow through them while you bank SP towards more scalable combos.

Some highlights:
-Blazerip can fire through walls and create new paths for you to use, letting you get to and shoot down enemy gates way faster, plus it does two damage types including arcane which bypasses a lot of problem resistances (e.g. metal enemies.)
-Chain Lightning instantly solves a lot of splitting/summoning enemy problems.
-Chaos Barrage and Annihilate both do solid single target damage out of the box (although Chaos Barrage takes some careful aiming to maximize it on 1-2 enemies.)
-Fan of Flames is extremely efficient since a single cast can be repeated many times, and the AOE also "bends" around corners which can let you take enemies from safety.
-Thunder Strike is an AOE stun and a fantastic panic button that can let you beat enemies that would otherwise murder you easily by alternating Thunder Strike with other more damaging spells, plus it upgrades to snipe through walls
-Touch of Death instantly solves a lot of problems if they get too close.
-Toxin Burst shuts down healing & shields for a huge AOE and if you give it any kind of damage boost it actually turns into great AOE damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
I had a path of Achra build so entertaining I actually bothered to screenshot it, in case anyone wants to try it. You'll need to find the Robe of Dreams for maximum hilarity, but it's a psychonaut Qamar of Fawdaa, and it makes a Starjumper look stable. Robe of Dreams removes stasis from you on doing astral/psionic damage, and psychonaut is astral/psionic...

You stand still, jump to the target, dump damage into it, immediately get teleported away because your status was removed, if you get a kill that triggers astrohunting again and the whole process repeats. Some screens I teleported 15+ times on a single button press.

Cycle 22 cleared in 50 turns, King of Many Colours didn't land a single hit.