Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cat Hatter posted:

I always thought this was interesting in a "how do we talk to aliens" sort of way, but it's also useless in any practical sense. There's no way that a warning sign in a dozen languages isn't going to be understandable to someone. Even in some distant Mad Max dystopian future they'll probably still have legends of the bombs that killed everyone and destroyed everything and have at least one historian or scientist that can read something or recognize a radiation symbol. What dye were they planning on using that will outlast every written language on Earth for the dyed concrete?

My favorite suggestion is "just bury it and don't put up any warning so nobody will actively look for it!" Maybe that'll be useful in a very specific circumstance 10,000 years from now, but it's going to be a big problem in about 50 years when the land gets sold off and someone drills a well into a nuclear waste site.

Yes, I know Mad Max was originally after a non nuclear war.

I think the idea is you "just bury it" somewhere that makes Phoenix look like Eden. It's difficult to imagine a series of events that could lead to people settling Death Valley, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cat Hatter posted:

What dye were they planning on using that will outlast every written language on Earth for the dyed concrete?

Carbon black

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I think the idea is you "just bury it" somewhere that makes Phoenix look like Eden. It's difficult to imagine a series of events that could lead to people settling Death Valley, for example.

People did settle Death Valley though.

https://www.nps.gov/deva/learn/nature/mining-in-death-valley.htm

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Dump nuclear waste in deepest depths of oceans, people will not go there and... BAH GAWD THAT'S GODZILLA'S MUSIC :stonk:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Just chuck it into a volcano, what's the worst that could happen? :hmmyes:

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Haifisch posted:

Just chuck it into a volcano, what's the worst that could happen? :hmmyes:

Right idea, just need to get on the other end of the process. Continental plate subduction zone is what you're looking for.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The Timbisha have been there for over a thousand years

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Eletriarnation posted:

Right idea, just need to get on the other end of the process. Continental plate subduction zone is what you're looking for.

That was the proposal myself & my geologist bud from university were workshopping in the early 1980s.

Two concerns were the overall depth waste would have to be inserted, but even more were containers that could stand up to the geologic time period required until folded under the plate.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

In some ways Death Valley is probably more hospitable than Florida was 200 years ago. If someone discovers a valuable resource or decides to divert a river there for some asinine reason people are going to wonder what maniac didn't at least put up a sign.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The "just bury it deep" idea works just fine if you do it somewhere uninteresting enough. Finland did finally manage to build one, and they drilled it into a thick sheet of granite. There's not really any minerals of interest down there, and it's far too dense to have aquifers. The geology has been stable for something like 1700 million years, too.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 3, 2024

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Any postapocalpse civilization is going to deal with so much toxic waste that they will not be incautious.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Computer viking posted:

The "just bury it deep" idea works just fine if you do it somewhere uninteresting enough. Finland did finally manage to build one, and they drilled it into a thick sheet of granite; there's not really any minerals of interest down there, and it's far too dense to have aquifers.

I'm pretty sure Finland put up a sign though, because not recording where hazardous materials are is a problem now and will continue to be a problem up until some unlikely hypothetical future where all scientific knowledge is erased across the entire world.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Cat Hatter posted:

I'm pretty sure Finland put up a sign though, because not recording where hazardous materials are is a problem now and will continue to be a problem up until some unlikely hypothetical future where all scientific knowledge is erased across the entire world.

Yeah, that seems reasonable. I think they are backfilling the tunnels, so the question is what sort of window there can be where the markings are still going to attract interest but people have forgotten the danger. I suspect none?

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Azza Bamboo posted:

Put all of the nuclear waste somewhere conspicuous in an unnatural formation. This way the future cavemen can associate its weird shape with the painful balding death plague and develop a helpful myth to not go to the oddly shaped place lest you also cough blood and die.

I think Chernobyl and the sarcophagus are already this. The problem is there’s nothing that visually looks like inherent danger without the prior knowledge of it. So 10,000 years from now it just looks like an abandoned village of us ancient losers and people go exploring.

Excavating the whole space to be just a pile of radiating fissile material that kills everyone around might get the effect you want, but everything in range is contaminated so where do you put that, and how do you mark it?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Honestly, if it weren't for the fact that it'd be a massive PR disaster, you could just pulverize the radioactive waste and evenly distribute it across the country. It's no worse than what we do with coal plants.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Ok ok idea: we combine forces and dump all our lead and mercury and other heavy metal waste there too. That's a permanent marker and will visibly blight the land so they know it's poisonous.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

mr.belowaverage posted:

I think Chernobyl and the sarcophagus are already this. The problem is there’s nothing that visually looks like inherent danger without the prior knowledge of it. So 10,000 years from now it just looks like an abandoned village of us ancient losers and people go exploring.

Excavating the whole space to be just a pile of radiating fissile material that kills everyone around might get the effect you want, but everything in range is contaminated so where do you put that, and how do you mark it?

On the other hand, 10 000 years from now all the really spicy isotopes will have burned out, and what's left is a lump of much lower grade radioactive junk. I still wouldn't make my casual-wear raiding armor out of it, but nothing stays death-ray deadly for that long.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
shoot it into orbit and come up with a better plan in the mean time or else

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

Computer viking posted:

On the other hand, 10 000 years from now all the really spicy isotopes will have burned out, and what's left is a lump of much lower grade radioactive junk. I still wouldn't make my casual-wear raiding armor out of it, but nothing stays death-ray deadly for that long.

Sure if we skip to the end of the decay curve it’s just no longer a problem

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

moist turtleneck posted:

shoot it into orbit and come up with a better plan in the mean time or else

lol the opposite of Ripley’s plan?

Apologies for the double post but lmao

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

mr.belowaverage posted:

To be honest, I don't think it's going to be any more of a concern than people excavating stuff in general is. Mining with modern methods is dangerous work but mining with ancient methods is brutally lethal and was a death sentence to the slaves that were put into it. There's so much toxic poo poo in the crust of our planet, a few places where you can get radiation sickness don't change it all that much.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Can't Superman just put it all in a big net and throw it into the sun?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

mr.belowaverage posted:

Sure if we skip to the end of the decay curve it’s just no longer a problem

That's kind of the point, though; it takes long enough for any big geological changes that by the time those matter, there's nothing too horrible left. The only risk I kind of agree with is a global (or local) regression of knowledge that happens soon enough for people to go digging into our still visible leftovers without knowing how they are dangerous.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

mr.belowaverage posted:

The problem is there’s nothing that visually looks like inherent danger without the prior knowledge of it.

Human remains. Skeletons. Dig a hole a mile deep, put the waste in casks at the bottom of the hole, then dump your dead into the hole for the remainder of time. Any civilization willing to dig through a mile of corpses to get to the spicy boxes will either take the warranted caution with what they find or they'll loving deserve what happens next.

All you need to do is ensure that the corpse hole stays topped up with corpses for as long as it possibly can, but after a certain point I think it'll just be the default answer for "well what do we do with his corpse?" and so kind of a self-solving problem.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I volunteer for the corpse hole

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Human remains. Skeletons. Dig a hole a mile deep, put the waste in casks at the bottom of the hole, then dump your dead into the hole for the remainder of time. Any civilization willing to dig through a mile of corpses to get to the spicy boxes will either take the warranted caution with what they find or they'll loving deserve what happens next.

All you need to do is ensure that the corpse hole stays topped up with corpses for as long as it possibly can, but after a certain point I think it'll just be the default answer for "well what do we do with his corpse?" and so kind of a self-solving problem.

Archeologists would be thrilled to excavate such a site!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nenonen posted:

Archeologists would be thrilled to excavate such a site!

they'll loving deserve what happens next

Grave robbers

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
archaeologists would still try to dig it up but maybe just the line the hole with medieval style toilets and cover the waste that way??

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Bad Munki posted:

I volunteer for the corpse hole

Hey fellas, "the corpse hole"! Well ooh lah dee dah Mr French man

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Grave robbers

:effort:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

This is how you get zombies FYI.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
At the very least a Skelton Army

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

This is a really difficult problem because basically anything you do that communicates 'Holy poo poo this is dangerous, don't touch it' is probably going to be met with 'Sounds like you're trying to scare me away from the real treasure!' and then some people will deliberately dig it up anyway.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

And if you can somehow convincingly communicate that what is down there will kill you, people will think "So I can use it to kill my enemies".

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Soon you'll have roving clans of raiders, carrying gigantic radiation warning signs around, as a deterrent to other raider clans.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

VelociBacon posted:

This is how you get zombies FYI.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

At the very least a Skelton Army

Neither of these falls under the "undesirable outcomes" heading in my book. They do, however, fall under the "getting what they loving deserve" heading. Wins all around.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Yep, no one has ever found a massive site full of human remains and thought “nah this isn’t worth exploring”.

Now I’m just going to take a big swig of coffee as I search Wikipedia for Parisian Catacombs and…

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ashcans posted:

This is a really difficult problem because basically anything you do that communicates 'Holy poo poo this is dangerous, don't touch it' is probably going to be met with 'Sounds like you're trying to scare me away from the real treasure!' and then some people will deliberately dig it up anyway.

eh, not a lot of people breaking into superfund sites

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

moist turtleneck posted:

archaeologists would still try to dig it up but maybe just the line the hole with medieval style toilets and cover the waste that way??

Archaeologists just love mediaeval toilets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

moist turtleneck posted:

My ex-wife's archaeological dissertation involved digging up the privy of one of the nation's first almshouses. An archaeology grad student would look at a mile-deep toilet and say, "gently caress YEAH I BET THEY ACCIDENTALLY DROPPED A LOT OF THINGS IN THERE I COULD DIG UP AND STUDY"