Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Theiss was born in 1931, he would have been a tween while any of that was actually being developed for D-Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah. Theiss was only involved in Season 1 of TNG: left because of declining health but also because the production was a clusterfuck.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

Theiss was born in 1931, he would have been a tween while any of that was actually being developed for D-Day.

Oh I’ve had bill blass and Theiss confused in my head all these years! My bad.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Arivia posted:

It’s worth remembering that the costume design for the original series and the next generation (at least the first few seasons) of Star Trek were done by an incredibly influential, super acclaimed fashion designer, William Ware Theiss*.

Theiss infamously didn’t care about how wearable his ST costumes were, especially for women, but he did see his costumes as an opportunity to push design in ways he couldn’t in contemporary clothing on or off the runway. So some of it was wearable, some was meant to be very aspirational. In other words, Theiss set the standard for Star Trek clothing NOT being something you’d wear around the real world time of production.

*Theiss also helped defeat the Nazis by developing inflatable tanks for D-Day.

That bit about the inflatable tanks -- were those the decoys in England, or the DD amphibious tanks (which had an inflatable bladder?) I couldn't find anything with some quick googling/Memory Alpha-ing. Either way, it's cool -- another TOS Trek guy affiliated with victory at D-Day (cf. Doohan, James).

Went looking for the exact quote and found it on Memory Alpha:

quote:

His female garment style can be summed up in the "Theiss Theory of Titillation"...which stated "the degree to which a costume is considered sexy is directly dependent upon how accident-prone it appears to be."

eta.1: So much for the D-Day connection.

eta.2: The season 1-2 TNG costumes -- looking at the comic pages that were posted, they looked really good, but they were on inhuman physiology and without concern for practicalities. I wonder if it was a case of, "The sketches look great, let's run with those," and it being too late to circle into anything else once the first few were done and trialed.

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 3, 2024

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

You can't design future clothes or furniture music, because if you could, you'd be getting rich doing that instead of designing for the TV show

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

On one hand it's for fictional aliens, so who cares how good it looks, on the other hand, fandoms might be worse to deal with than fashion critics, but on the other hand Edosians don't have that much fashion sense.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Speaking of amazing fits, how many outfits did Jake Sisko wear that were taken from bus seats

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

My dear Doctor, they're all taken from bus seats.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Speaking of amazing fits, how many outfits did Jake Sisko wear that were taken from bus seats

A joke so fresh and finely tailored that it was made on just the very previous page!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Jake Sisko researching bus seats from the 20th Century and looking confused as it spits out a swatch with the same pattern he's wearing.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

His shirts were probably rugged and stain-resistant as heck.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jake sisko fooling the borg by jumping into a 20th century holodeck program and blending in perfectly.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Jake is actually on the bus scene in Voyage Home he just blends in that well

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Normally yes but 90s Trek human fashion has always whiffed it for me. TNG especially. DS9 was a bit better.
Yeah, I should have clarified I wasn't talking about 90's, or even 80's, Trek. I was talking about the bizarre stuff from the 70's and earlier, like TOS, Lost in Space, Barbarella, Flash Gordon (the 80's one). Obviously there's a lot of sexist stuff in there that should be taken out in anything modern, and it would really only fit in with fun, kind of tongue-in-cheek sci-fi. There is still the occasional stuff, but it never seems to catch on.

The Fifth Element was a good pull of probably the last successful sci-fi to have fun styling, and that was because they brought in a literal French avant garde fashion designer. Jupiter Rising and Valerian and The City of 1,000 Planets I also remember thinking looked pretty cool, but they both bombed. And possibly Disney's John Carter attempt, I know the book covers were bizarre, but I literally can't remember anything about that movie. I guess the new Dune is also a good example, it's not "fun" sci-fi, but it's definitely very stylish.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm always amused how you'll be watching some anime something and it is set in a future that Napoleonic military uniforms are back in style.

Makes me think it would be hilarious if Star Trek's future had a weird phase were Starfleet went full Elizabethan and was all about super wide ruffs, gigantic codpieces, and huge feather plumes on their hats.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Sash! posted:

I'm always amused how you'll be watching some anime something and it is set in a future that Napoleonic military uniforms are back in style.

Makes me think it would be hilarious if Star Trek's future had a weird phase were Starfleet went full Elizabethan and was all about super wide ruffs, gigantic codpieces, and huge feather plumes on their hats.

tfw Hysperia wins the uniform design contest

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Knormal posted:

Obviously there's a lot of sexist stuff in there that should be taken out in anything modern, and it would really only fit in with fun, kind of tongue-in-cheek sci-fi.

Given current pop fashion trends, this is an interesting call to make. What was racy and provocative 60 years ago is practically chaste and conservative now.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
These Voyager two parters just aren't very good, are they?

I didn't hate Flesh and Blood, but the whole thing just felt too easy. The stakes never felt that high. Plus, it didn't seem like they could really pick a position on hologram rights and kind of waffled on it throughout.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like there must've been some kind of reference to it in the Bell Riots or Time's Arrow, but that's the 19th and 21st centuries. Maybe something in Voyage Home?

Past Tense does sort of do it, but it's entirely implicit. Basically, it wasn't an accident from the production end that the 3 stuck in the past were Sisko, Bashir and Jadzia, the 2 brown guys get picked up and criminalised for being vagrants and the pretty white woman is given the benefit of the doubt by the privileged businessman.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Kesper North posted:

tfw Hysperia wins the uniform design contest

God, the Hysperia stuff was so cool. Straight out of TOS, something you'd never see in a more conventional live action show. The costumes, the people, the ship and its interiors. Beautiful and wild. The whole joke that a bunch of LARPers found a planet with dragons and made it their home, just incredibly funny.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
"Shattered" was legitimately a good episode and it's a shame it wasn't the sweeps two-parter.

"Lineage" explored some interesting themes and ethical questions and I have to remind myself that B'Elanna is not Starfleet, so her behavior makes a lot more sense in that context. Still, another classic "potentially committed unforgiveable crimes, but let's just forget it happened at the end of the episode" that seems to crop up all the time in Voyager.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm in the middle of slow-watching TOS and burst out laughing at the pre-credits scene for Assignment: Earth being "oh, by the way, we went back in time".

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I remember watching that for the first time and thinking "WTF? That's always been an option? They can just do that?"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I remember watching that for the first time and thinking "WTF? That's always been an option? They can just do that?"

It was continuity! They used the method from Tomorrow is Yesterday!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Yeah, there's a period in TOS where they're like "oh yeah, the Enterprise is actually a time machine and we time travel all the time for research, no big deal" before they seemingly realized that was insane.

And time travel just became an "accident" or "went too fast."

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I recently watched "Is There In Truth No Beauty" because it came up in discussion, and I like how all it takes to drive the Enterprise though the galactic barrier and into a dimensional void is to go down to engineering and randomly mash buttons.

Also fun for the bonus Dr. Pulaski appearance.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I recently watched "Is There In Truth No Beauty" because it came up in discussion, and I like how all it takes to drive the Enterprise though the galactic barrier and into a dimensional void is to go down to engineering and randomly mash buttons.

Well, fate protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The best part about Shattered was towards the end when Janeway is piecing together the deathtrap that is the Delta Quadrant and is like, "What in the actual gently caress am I going to be dealing with?" Hero ships see some poo poo man.

Eandr
Oct 9, 2012
Long lost TOS episode re-surfaces: https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/milton-berle-star-trek.html

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

"Conrad" Spinrad?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Lemniscate Blue posted:

"Conrad" Spinrad?

Spinard. Please!

Anyway the site is a fake news mill and the script isn’t news anyway, check the date on this

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rudeboy Detective posted:

His shirts were probably rugged and stain-resistant as heck.

You know what? You got a point. Perfect for life on an occasionally-bombarded space station.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Also fun for the bonus Dr. Pulaski appearance.

Didn't Muldaur just happen to end up in back to back episodes as different characters or am I misremembering?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Gaz-L posted:

Didn't Muldaur just happen to end up in back to back episodes as different characters or am I misremembering?

She’s also in “Return to Tomorrow” the previous season, as Dr Mulhall (and Thalassa the alien ghost possessing her). Not quite back to back.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

It wasn't back to back, it was late S2 and early S3, about nine months apart. They wanted Jessica Walter, actually, for "Is There in Truth No Beauty?" but couldn't make it work, so grabbed Muldaur again because the director knew her from her previous episode.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

disaster pastor posted:

It wasn't back to back, it was late S2 and early S3, about nine months apart. They wanted Jessica Walter, actually, for "Is There in Truth No Beauty?" but couldn't make it work, so grabbed Muldaur again because the director knew her from her previous episode.

How much could a protective visor cost, Michael? 10 quatloos?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm re-watching TNG and it's so loving funny how of the first five episodes 4 of them are resolved by Wesley
I maintain that if you skip series 1 you miss a LOT of the kinda...meta of TNG

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Admiralty Flag posted:

How much could a protective visor cost, Michael? 10 quatloos?

You know how Klingons are, they fly around listening to opera and bat'lething all the jobs!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Has anyone seen Livelongandprosper, my adopted Vulcan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eandr
Oct 9, 2012
Sorry for linking the fake news site. Thought it read a bit weird but couldn't remember seeing anything about the script in this thread. Now I know why.

Off to report for a 20 year prison sentence that takes place entirely in my mind...