Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Havent seen one of these in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Look, I know we'll all doomed and nothing is going to fix the biosphere. We aren't going back to normal with fission or fusion or hydro or anything.

But If I have to die of heat stroke I shouldn't have to also have someone tell me its impossible to build a nuclear power plant that's safe for 50 years when we did it, it's done. Both we've done it and safely decommissioned them and we've done it and they're still running. And then you point that out and they go "AHA! Don't you see how that proves its impossible?!"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Aren't these all fuckups produced by the status & requirements of their societies? Yeah you can bin almost all of it into profit cost cutting, but maybe not Chernobyl which I guess was just set up stupid

Negligent failure to set up a good enough coolant system in Fukushima in a region that could be hit by tsunami is not a perfect example of the 50 year horizon concept, it's cheaping the gently caress out cause they didn't wanna pay for more pricy changes, isn't it? Wasn't it hosed because the backup generators flooded?

Salt Fish posted:

Look, I know we'll all doomed and nothing is going to fix the biosphere. We aren't going back to normal with fission or fusion or hydro or anything.

But If I have to die of heat stroke I shouldn't have to also have someone tell me its impossible to build a nuclear power plant that's safe for 50 years when we did it, it's done. Both we've done it and safely decommissioned them and we've done it and they're still running. And then you point that out and they go "AHA! Don't you see how that proves its impossible?!"

Yeah. Hypothetically there's some incredible sea change in public opinion but facts is facts.

blatman posted:

widespread nuclear power will never happen because the old men in charge are afraid of the inevitable marxist atomic supermen

It fundamentally comes down to this, let's get realistic for once

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Nuclear power is good for the environment because when they melt down they drive away human habitation and cancer isn’t a population-level threat to most animals

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
The fact that we had options to utilize but didn't is telling of how hosed we are. It's a great response to cope-heads too.

"Things are looking fine! They're making green hydrogen! Fision mastered any day! Carbon capture plants!"
"If innovation and new technology is our salvation, why haven't we been utilizing nuclear instead of fossil fuels that destroy the planet and our future?"
"Nuclear waste is really bad and god/aliens won't let us destroy the earth!"

Wha-! .... their obstinate stupidity and self serving faith is too powerful even for my hypothetical!!!

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Salt Fish posted:

But If I have to die of heat stroke I shouldn't have to also have someone tell me its impossible to build a nuclear power plant that's safe for 50 years when we did it, it's done.
third time you've made up poo poo i didn't say. is it compulsive? can you even stop?

quote:

Both we've done it and safely decommissioned them and we've done it and they're still running. And then you point that out and they go "AHA! Don't you see how that proves its impossible?!"

do you really not understand the difference between an anecdote and a risk curve across a distribution?

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
the aliens will let us destroy earth btw, they're here because its funny we're this dumb

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
perhaps we could design a series of rules so that we check up on our old infrastructure on a scheduled basis and have consequences for not doing that. you would think the purpose of regulation is to shift the responsibility away from individuals when it’s in everyone’s best interest

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER

fanfic insert posted:

the aliens will let us destroy earth btw, they're here because its funny we're this dumb

it's this, the aliens are just their version of youtube celebrities making videos about the top ten dumbest species killing themselves & our lasting legacy will be a thumbnail of some alien making that stupid loving face right beside a picture of our planet when its venusified imo

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

nuke plant fearmongering has been deprecated because we're all going to be turned into flipper babies by microplastics and theres no scary cooling tower to go protest at about it

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

The Oldest Man posted:

nuke plant fearmongering has been deprecated because we're all going to be turned into flipper babies by microplastics and theres no scary cooling tower to go protest at about it

i just shout at the rain nowadays... i’d shout at the snow too, but...

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

there is a country that's doing multi-decade planning, and breaking that planning down into achievable goals over a 5-year period.

it is also the same country building a bunch of nuclear and renewables.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Stereotype posted:

my dishwasher is only 4 years old and it has broken twice already

I got a new AC installed 5 years ago and the coil already had to be replaced for leaking refrigerant. gently caress you Trane.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Pink Mist posted:

perhaps we could design a series of rules so that we check up on our old infrastructure on a scheduled basis and have consequences for not doing that. you would think the purpose of regulation is to shift the responsibility away from individuals when it’s in everyone’s best interest

Be sensible.

Regulation is a kind of tool in a varied set used to funnel profits from those who do not deserve them to those who do. If it's being used contrary to this purpose it's against freedom.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
radiation made my dick huge? :shrug: ymmv

How!
Oct 29, 2009

SniperWoreConverse posted:

it's the economic system. There's houses and in some cases functional infrastructure that's old as piss and still actually works and is literally fine and actually good.

A few years back i think they discovered part of a Roman aqueduct that was still working

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

MightyBigMinus posted:

the problem with nuclear is not the technology or even the waste. the problem is we as a species/society/economic-system are incapable of managing 50+ year risk curves. our model of investing and financing and insuring simply breaks at that scale. its not even a nuclear thing, we can't handle bridges or tunnels either. our water infrastructure, our train networks, our sewage systems, all completely disintegrating as they make it past our first 50 year boom. we are simply riding out the risk curves on everything until the disaster point. nuclear's safety record really only looks as good as it does because its like looking at health insurance metrics for people under 40.

just because some scientists and engineers are capable of doing X, doesn't mean society is capable of handling lots of X. this is a brain-breaking concept to many engineers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2bFt-DZwak

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

just lollin at the idea that nuclear is somehow different than literally any other industrial process in our society's utter inability to build or maintain it without killing tens of thousands of people and poisoning the land for generations

cant even make a loving pair of pants in this society without killing thousands of people and poisoning the land for generations

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

The Oldest Man posted:

just lollin at the idea that nuclear is somehow different than literally any other industrial process in our society's utter inability to build or maintain it without killing tens of thousands of people and poisoning the land for generations

cant even make a loving pair of pants in this society without killing thousands of people and poisoning the land for generations

saganishly: if you want to kill thousands of people and poison the land for generations, first you create the universe

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah it comes back to society itself being completely hosed more than any particular technology

Mr Beef Head
Feb 26, 2017
What is the cost of lies?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I like society because it lets me buy cat food for my cats

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Technology, like money, is the religion today. One can only wax lyrical about the ways in how one enables the other to progress us to some unknown utopia in the future.

It's the Gatsby Green Light we strive towards without thinking about how or why we do it, and when there are fundamental problems with how we run things that could be addressed with technology invented in the '40s. It's the civ equivalent of fad diets solving chronic eating disorders from bad habits. It's like rain on your wedding day, a million spoons when all you need is a knife. It's...

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

wow. poo poo. sorry guys my bad. Nobody is going to do anything anyway so no point in getting mad.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlaPZ-xMPGY

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I just wanted to type big horse…

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
salt fish is right

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

This is the kind of thing I think of when people are clamouring for collapse or for a war or some revolution, like it's going to be a sporting event they can watch on the sidelines or something that they'll be on top of generally. When in reality, just as with most fantasies hitting reality, they'd probably be the first against the wall or killed or subjugated or pissed at the rearrangement in how things are run.

Actual change ain't a vote away and then the new manifesto is bedded in over time. And I think most people deep down know that, and we all just toy with the idea of wanting things to be different, while fearing what can be wrought. It's why climate change, for all the public fury over it, will not get solved because we all love our treats and the system remains.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

quote:

Deer Are Beta-Testing a Nightmare Disease
Prion diseases are poorly understood, and this one is devastating.
Tangentially related because we've killed off all natural predators en-masse and biodiversity is shrinking rapidly

it's also interesting that apparently prions can be uptaken into plants, which uh, yikes that it can be cycled through again and again. considering we use a lot of biosolids for fertilizer and stuff as well which can contain proteins (they aren't chemically or thermally destroyed). since humans and deer do share some similar protein structures, it's probably a matter of time but hopefully after climate change kills us. oh well, just toss it on the pile imo. nothing to worry about compared to *waves hand at everything burning down in the background*

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Trabisnikof posted:

there is a country that's doing multi-decade planning, and breaking that planning down into achievable goals over a 5-year period.

it is also the same country building a bunch of nuclear and renewables.

but at what cost

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Looking forward to next year, when a groundhog tells a crowd wearing T-shirts and shorts that winter is over

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Xaris posted:

Tangentially related because we've killed off all natural predators en-masse and biodiversity is shrinking rapidly

it's also interesting that apparently prions can be uptaken into plants, which uh, yikes that it can be cycled through again and again. considering we use a lot of biosolids for fertilizer and stuff as well which can contain proteins (they aren't chemically or thermally destroyed). since humans and deer do share some similar protein structures, it's probably a matter of time but hopefully after climate change kills us. oh well, just toss it on the pile imo. nothing to worry about compared to *waves hand at everything burning down in the background*

Prions are to proteins what Ice-9 is to water. It's pretty terrifying stuff when your read about what transpired after vCJD came on to the scene. I had a guest lecturer at my uni come in and talk about these things and was a key researcher in the Mad Cow Disease scandal in the '90s. Very hard things to eradicate.

I also think of the Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' On Heaven's Door bioweapon.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Looking forward to next year, when a groundhog tells a crowd wearing T-shirts and shorts that winter is over

Over? It never even started here. We had an autumn then it was back to spring again. I have tulip bulbs sprouting outside and it's the first week of February. It was 15ºC this afternoon.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

This is the kind of thing I think of when people are clamouring for collapse or for a war or some revolution, like it's going to be a sporting event they can watch on the sidelines or something that they'll be on top of generally. When in reality, just as with most fantasies hitting reality, they'd probably be the first against the wall or killed or subjugated or pissed at the rearrangement in how things are run.

Actual change ain't a vote away and then the new manifesto is bedded in over time. And I think most people deep down know that, and we all just toy with the idea of wanting things to be different, while fearing what can be wrought. It's why climate change, for all the public fury over it, will not get solved because we all love our treats and the system remains.

Everything will be better after the revolution, won't it, dear?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Prions are to proteins what Ice-9 is to water. It's pretty terrifying stuff when your read about what transpired after vCJD came on to the scene. I had a guest lecturer at my uni come in and talk about these things and was a key researcher in the Mad Cow Disease scandal in the '90s. Very hard things to eradicate.

i think we got insanely lucky with CJD. when it comes back (and it's probably just a matter of time with how the american mega-beef industry operates), i dont think we'll be so lucky

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
lovin my early feb frogs in the pnw

very good news

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

prion species spillover is hopefully just bad luck or bad genetic luck. millions of people were exposed to mad cow prions, but only a few hundred got vCJD. thousands of people eat CWD prions every year, and epidemiologists are trying to figure out if any background spontaneous CJD cases (1 in a million chance) are actually CWD, but all in all, it will likely be really bad luck.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

loving pussy rip off the bandaid

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Mewling!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

mags posted:

saganishly: if you want to kill thousands of people and poison the land for generations, first you create the universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Thinking about how aluminum was once a prized metal and now I can crumple it up and throw it in the garbage because I'm too lazy to wash a pan :effort: