Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

kalleth posted:

I got baited into watching Elite Air Force (asylum B movie) tonight. It's on prime.

I'm about 15 minutes in and the cockpit gibberish is hilarious. I've already moved on from shouting "that's not how planes work" at the screen. It's worse than trek levels of gibberish.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Fat vipe firing off his targeting pod

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

My understanding was less that it's not "cold" than there isn't much of anything to be cold or warmed up. Meaning you have to straight up radiate out the energy into the void vs the usually much faster and efficient method of dumping that energy into a transitionary material like water or air or so on to let the energy spread out there before entropy takes hold.

It was one of the more interesting little points of the Mass Effect games. Your "ammo" is infinite, but you have thermal clips of some sci fi material that sucks up the waste heat/energy of your weapons that needs replacing once it hits capacity. Functionally it's the same thing from gameplay functionality but it's a neat in universe way of covering their asses.

In the novel Saturn Run they solve the heat problem by extruding giant ribbons of liquid metal into space, guiding it electrostatically as it radiated heat and solidified into a metal foil, which is then gathered back up and heated again to repeat the process. I thought that was an interesting way to shift the heat.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

More or less the same idea as a heat pipe. Presuming you have a means of producing enough power easily enough it seems like a plausible way of doing things. Though the same can be said about most things with the presumption of basically infinite cheap power.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does this elite air force movie not exist in the US? I can't even get anything to show up on google.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

n0tqu1tesane posted:

In the novel Saturn Run they solve the heat problem by extruding giant ribbons of liquid metal into space, guiding it electrostatically as it radiated heat and solidified into a metal foil, which is then gathered back up and heated again to repeat the process. I thought that was an interesting way to shift the heat.

Mass Effect ships use a similar concept (maybe that's where the writers got it from) during high-g burns, where they'll spray coolant from the bow of the ship, letting it radiate as it travels aft, and recapturing (most of) it at the stern. The system does have some losses, but it's the most efficient way to dump heat in combat situations. At least, according to the lore in the codex; you never see that demonstrated in the actual game.

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Does this elite air force movie not exist in the US? I can't even get anything to show up on google.

Apparently it's sometimes also called "Top Gunner: Danger Zone"

Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG7Ds26P_Og

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

kalleth posted:

"Top Gunner: Danger Zone"

God I love The Asylum.

Right up there with Transmorphers.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

did they make Airplane Vs Volcano? that was a good one. the airplane gets trapped in a volcano

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Cactus Ghost posted:

did they make Airplane Vs Volcano? that was a good one. the airplane gets trapped in a volcano

They sure did!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I’m not a pilot but I feel like flying a plane into a volcano isn’t the best plan.

C/D?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I’m not a pilot but I feel like flying a plane into a volcano isn’t the best plan.

C/D?

That's what the FAA wants you to think

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

goatsestretchgoals posted:

C/D?

How else will you get to your secret lair to plan world domination

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

How else will you get to your secret lair to plan world domination

The underwater cave?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Stupid Mount Erebus, ruining aerovolcanism for everyone.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
/Xenu has entered the chat

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

you must show your DC-8 type rating to get into scientologist heaven.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

they didnt mean to fly into the volcano, it surprised them and trapped them

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

/Xenu has entered the chat

I always forget how stupid Scientology actually is, it’s like the “it can’t be that stupid I must be remembering it wrong” thing with crypto

quote:

Hubbard wrote that Xenu was the ruler of a Galactic Confederacy 75 million years ago, which consisted of 26 stars and 76 planets including Earth, which was then known as "Teegeeack". The planets were overpopulated, containing an average population of 178 billion. The Galactic Confederacy's civilization was comparable to our own, with aliens "walking around in clothes which looked very remarkably like the clothes they wear this very minute" and using cars, trains and boats looking exactly the same as those "circa 1950, 1960" on Earth.

Xenu was about to be deposed from power, so he devised a plot to eliminate the excess population from his dominions. With the assistance of psychiatrists, he gathered billions of his citizens under the pretense of income tax inspections, then paralyzed them and froze them in a mixture of alcohol and glycol to capture their souls. The kidnapped populace was loaded into spacecraft for transport to the site of extermination, the planet of Teegeeack (Earth). The appearance of these spacecraft would later be subconsciously expressed in the design of the Douglas DC-8, the only difference being that "the DC8 had fans, propellers on it and the space plane didn't". When they had reached Teegeeack, the paralyzed citizens were off-loaded, and placed around the bases of volcanoes across the planet. Hydrogen bombs were then lowered into the volcanoes and detonated simultaneously, killing all but a few aliens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenu?wprov=sfti1#Summary

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Methinks he meant DC-6, since the DC-8 is a jet...

Plus: if you're going to all of the trouble to offload population, just push your DC-6s DC-8s advanced alien spacecraft out about an AU & just depressurize them? Think of all of the resources you could save! Nukes ain't cheap!

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 3, 2024

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

drat I'm having flashbacks to when Arnie Lerma used to post here

e: hoooooly poo poo did not hear how badly that ended wtf bro

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 3, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's really hilarious that L Ron Hubbard was a science fiction writer and had zero imagination. They had boats that looked like ours do right now, and clothes that look like ours do right now, and their space ships looked exactly like our planes do right now.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

shame on an IGA posted:

drat I'm having flashbacks to when Arnie Lerma used to post here

e: hoooooly poo poo did not hear how badly that ended wtf bro

well, share with the class what you learned

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Cactus Ghost posted:

well, share with the class what you learned

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnie_Lerma#Death_and_legacy

Far out. I was messaging him back when the Anonymous protests were happening.

Did not see that coming.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bass Ackwards posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnie_Lerma#Death_and_legacy

Far out. I was messaging him back when the Anonymous protests were happening.

Did not see that coming.

tl;dr Scientology ruins literally everything.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

oh drat. was he the xenu.net guy too? the wiki page doesnt mention it

e: oh, no, that was this guy
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreas_Heldal-Lund
less dramatic ending for him

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
Relevant to thread title.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7MP3SQWZDc

(probably faked but who knows?)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Kelsey on 74gear mentioned that is a thing before.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It absolutely faked, there is approximately a 0% chance of that working.

If there was direct line of sight between cockpit windows I could maybe be talked into it being possible.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Also surely that’s an upload not an airdrop.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Why are they on parallel courses with only a thousand foot altitude difference? I've heard of odd numbers (of thousands of feet) being for eastbound, and even numbers for west, or possibly vice-versa.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Non radar tracks across oceans will lots of times have airplanes going the same direction at 1000 foot intervals depending on the location

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

illectro posted:

Relevant to thread title.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7MP3SQWZDc

(probably faked but who knows?)

it could maybe maybe be a thing if both people were on the same sort of VPN that they'd setup beforehand for the bit, running it over the passenger satellite connection...

...yeah, it's faked (but it's fun tho)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Powered Descent posted:

Why are they on parallel courses with only a thousand foot altitude difference? I've heard of odd numbers (of thousands of feet) being for eastbound, and even numbers for west, or possibly vice-versa.

It's not super uncommon to take an aircraft wrong for direction for traffic. At least away from the East coast.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

meltie posted:

it could maybe maybe be a thing if both people were on the same sort of VPN that they'd setup beforehand for the bit, running it over the passenger satellite connection...

...yeah, it's faked (but it's fun tho)

Airdrop only works over a direct WiFi connection between the devices involved.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Arson Daily posted:

Non radar tracks across oceans will lots of times have airplanes going the same direction at 1000 foot intervals depending on the location

The planes should all fly in formation like a bunch of B-17s. Then passengers can wave to each other.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

Cojawfee posted:

The planes should all fly in formation like a bunch of B-17s. Then passengers can wave to each other.

It’s been proposed as a way to save fuel.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Two Kings posted:

It’s been proposed as a way to save fuel.

PATENT PENDING PATENT PENDING PATENT PENDING

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there any kind of benefit to airline employees if the flight is scheduled to arrive at 11:45pm and there's a 16 minute delay and it ends at 12:01am or later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Depends on the contract. It could be nothing. It could be two hours of pay. It could be another days entire pay.