Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

PawParole posted:

Honestly this is slightly less evil than the mainstream Israeli position, which is demolish Northern Gaza and maybe build settlements there.

I was thinking, can't Egypt just let the Gazans continue to live in Gaza? But Gaza becomes part of Egypt and the Gazans have (limited) free travel to Egypt. And Egypt gains more land.

Is the catch that Gazans (not west bank) have to give up land claims in rest of Israel?

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 20:39 on Feb 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

PawParole posted:

https://twitter.com/typesfast/status/1753595542658220229

Houthis putting in the work and getting results

aa's blockade must be the most impactful anti-imperialist action in generations

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Jel Shaker posted:

hmm maybe pushing palestinians towards the humanitarian arm of Hamas by taking out the UNRWA as the only source of aid is going to cause more problems down the line, but i’m not a big brain strategist in the white house or IDF so…

Blowback isn't real

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Houthi and the blowback

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Slavvy posted:

Houthi and the blowback

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

Houthi and the blowback

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

hamas would end up controlling the suez canal with six months

Hamas forces are currently undergoing preparations and should be operational within six months.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
our Tik Tok Dancer brigades and their... flexibility have allowed us to make progress in the Gaza strip.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

The reason is that this "solution" has already been tried. After 1967, the Israeli's made a deal with the Jordanians to oversee the West Bank, and, while nominally under Egyptian jurisdiction, Gaza. The King of Jordan personally supervised the handing out of Jordanian passports en masse to Palestinians in the West Bank, Gaza, and East Jerusalem. However, these passports did not confer any voting rights or political representation of any kind. It was mostly done through the encouragement and support of the Americans, as Israel's seizure of territory in 1967 caused tremendous backlash. As the Hashemite monarchy was responsible for protecting certain holy sites in Palestine, their legitimacy was bolstered by their "benevolent" issuance of passports, even while participating in that American brokered deal to make peace with Israel.

The problem was, by not actually doing poo poo for the Palestinians, and not giving them any say in Jordan, a crisis began to develop. Something like a third of the people living in Jordan are Palestinian refugees with incredibly limited political rights, and that number was higher in 1970. I'm prefacing to say that this crisis has not actually gone away, it just happens to be at a low simmer at the moment. The events that follow are why any American brokered deal to give the West Bank to Jordan is not going to create any kind of happy peace with Israel.

In Black September 1970, the Jordanians massacred the PLO, and Palestinian civilians throughout Jordan. This was apparently coordinated with the governments of Israel and America, because the PLO in Jordan was (understandably) launching cross border raids into Israel and had a fair deal of sympathy and support within Jordan. The PLO based in Jordan could also be armed quite easily by the Syrians. The Jordanians were supported in this massacre, first and foremost by the Americans, but through leaked diplomatic cables we now know that Syrian intervention, which was almost certain, was prevented because Israel mobilized in support of Jordan. With the Syrian Army tied down as Israel went on a war footing, the Jordanians could mop up the Palestinians.

Since then, it's been pretty clear to Egypt and Jordan that if they accept control over Palestinian territories, they will either have a civil war, or will go to war with Israel for Palestine's sake. That's an inevitability of incorporating the Palestinians - deny them rights and the opportunity to fight back and you have civil war, grant them rights and you can't let your citizens be "mown grass" at the hands of a neighbouring state. Syria was "coincidentally" destroyed in the past 20 years, as was Iraq, the two states rated Israel's most formidable and staunchest opponents. Crazy how that happened. Anyway, even without Syrian or Iraqi intervention on behalf of the Palestinians, Jordan and Egypt are not nearly stable enough, particularly with the Egyptian economy on the rocks, to make peace with Israel after tens of thousands of Palestinians were killed, while at the same time giving passports to those Palestinians. Not going to happen.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 20:54 on Feb 3, 2024

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
ntl-dr

wb

carcinofuck has issued a correction as of 21:01 on Feb 3, 2024

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

uber_stoat posted:

our Tik Tok Dancer brigades and their... flexibility have allowed us to make progress in the Gaza strip.

I've received reports of armed attacks on shipments.

CheetoVonTito
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Still going hard, almost 5 months in

https://x.com/saulstaniforth/status/1753796979514053095?s=46

https://x.com/mayadeenenglish/status/1753869628743315703?s=46

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Slavvy posted:

Houthi and the blowback

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Houthi and the blowback

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Slavvy posted:

Houthi and the blowback

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Houthi and the blowback

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

stephenthinkpad posted:

I was thinking, can't Egypt just let the Gazans continue to live in Gaza? But Gaza becomes part of Egypt and the Gazans have (limited) free travel to Egypt. And Egypt gains more land.

Is the catch that Gazans (not west bank) have to give up land claims in rest of Israel?

so you think Israel is genociding the Palestinians because they “have” to be the ones who govern Gaza and if Egypt governed Gaza Israel would live peacefully and be fine with it?

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

This is incredibly stupid

HallelujahLee has issued a correction as of 22:42 on Feb 3, 2024

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

stephenthinkpad posted:

I was thinking, can't Mexico just let the Texans continue to live in Texas? but Texas becomes part of Mexico and the Texans have (limited) free travel to Mexico. And Mexico gains more land.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Slavvy posted:

Houthi and the blowback

I? Only P with youuuuu

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

stephenthinkpad posted:

you stupid oval office

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

Literally nothing would change except some percentage of Israel's problems would become Egypt's problems.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I am begging, pleading, for people to open a loving book

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jbZvyU4plk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xBBjxyu2MQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9437Yn80NTw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyV1Edrrt7c

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

wtf is this a syq?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Houthi and the blowback

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Reservations clearly work for the indigenous peoples of north America, why not the indigenous people of the levant

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I am begging, pleading, for people to open a loving book

tldw
post about it

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

Gaza has arable land and can be turned into a beach tourist trap. Israel will never give it up willingly.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

these are not books, also I am not clicking those links. do better

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Boy, I wish we had some sort of keepers of the peace from throughout the world, nations united if you will, to institute Palestinian statehood because something tells me Israeli society isn't ready for it and would respond badly.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water what if we let Yemen lead the international rules based order rather than scrap it entirely?

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

apatheticman posted:

Boy, I wish we had some sort of keepers of the peace from throughout the world, nations united if you will, to institute Palestinian statehood because something tells me Israeli society isn't ready for it and would respond badly.

UNIFIL is still operational lol

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Shageletic posted:

Gaza has arable land and can be turned into a beach tourist trap. Israel will never give it up willingly.

Israel did try to return Gaza to egypt decades ago - they didn't want it. Like Rabin said: "I wish that Gaza would sink into the sea". Religious zionist lunatics want to settle there, but secular zionists just think the strip is a massive headache. They would prefer it if Gaza simply disappeared, or if it was someone else's problem.

But since Gaza will not magically dispear, and since the Palestinians there will not just accept Egyptian occupation as an alternative to Palestinian liberation, those secular zionists instead want to genocide them.

Sancho Banana has issued a correction as of 23:14 on Feb 3, 2024

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
https://twitter.com/MikePrysner/status/1753880918895595763?t=jUXHiCOxpXzwpgQ-6PRrEw&s=19

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

PawParole posted:

https://twitter.com/typesfast/status/1753595542658220229

Houthis putting in the work and getting results

Zodium posted:

aa's blockade must be the most impactful anti-imperialist action in generations

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Esteemed Posting Colleague, 2016 posted:

Do you see nothing antisemitic in the claim "Jews poison wells" as long as it's specified the wells aren't in the Pale of Settlement in the 19th century?

Why do you feel the need to qualify a description of a fabricated antisemitic smear with the claim that it's only "presumably" false? It's beyond "presumably" at this point.

Reaction 1 posted:

If you believe it is not possible for a Jew to poison a well because something about their Jewishness makes them different from other human beings who are capable of poisoning wells, that is a form of anti-Semitism. Anti-Semitism is bad.

Reaction 2 posted:

Antisemitism also included accusing Jews of committing murders. Under the stunning logic on display by TIC, no Jewish person is thus capable of committing murders, because the man is conveniently incapable of distinguishing between "All X do this" and "an X person did this" as need be to call anyone to the left of Sharon a murderous antisemite.

Reaction 3 posted:

I'm not defending Abbas; his claim was false and misinformed. What he didn't claim was that Jews were poisoning wells, in spite of the fact that Israeli settlers ("Jews," as you like to call them) have verifiably done this very thing. He falsely claimed that a rabbi had encouraged this behavior, which is a different accusation. Do you also believe he claimed that Jews are kidnapping Christians to harvest their blood for their own depraved rituals, something else of which that article accuses him?

And regardless, do you think that his accusations are more deplorable than the actual direct and indirect water poisonings by the Israeli settlers and government?

Reaction 4 posted:

So, there are settlers who routinely poison wells and the Israeli authorities rarely do anything about it? Woah, that's quite a story, thanks for bringing it to this threads attention .

Reaction 5 posted:

What anti-Semitic claims would he be echoing, exactly? Was it common to accuse Rabbis of wanting the government to poison Muslims in medieval times? I haven't heard of it, but perhaps you could back it up with some kind of source?

Reaction 6 posted:

It's pretty drat convenient to control the narrative and the perceptions to the point where settlers actually poisoning water wells doesn't generate any media buzz but the moment someone says that some Rabbi encouraged them you get to shriek about antisemitism.

Esteemed Posting Colleague, 2016 posted:

What you're doing is no different than using violent strife in African countries to excuse or justify the spreading of the most noxious sort of racist garbage.

"Look at what's happening in Nigeria, so who cares if black people are described as a bunch of violent animals" is a racist statement. "Look at what Israelis are doing, so who cares if they say Jews poison wells" is an antisemitic one.

Reaction 1 posted:

Except this is much less of any kind of a "Jews poison wells" thing and more "Some israelis literally poison wells and there's video evidence", unless your shithead shtick auto-translates israeli into jew and thus every negative action suggested that israelis take is actually seen being painted against all jews because we're all secretly terrible antisem-uuuuugggggghhhhhhhhhh.

Fellow Poster, October 2023 posted:

If you're going to accuse a state actor like Israel of "genocide" and "war crimes", you have to prove intent. It's not a matter of "legality", it's a matter of discourse when people are just throwing these terms around meaninglessly to derail.

So no, Israel "poisoning a water supply" and "purposefully preventing water from being decontaminated" is absolutely not the same.

Reaction 1 posted:

Even if you want to give the biggest benefit of the doubt possible, you still have a video of the IDF filling a freshwater well with cement. So your best case scenario as an Israel-Doesnt-Poison-Water argument maker starts out at numbers of water holes poisoned: 1 as your floor

Author of Wonderful Posts, October 2023 posted:

Poisoning a water supply is a pretty specific accusation. So you’ll get push-back because that is not what they are doing. Like, if they’re equally as bad, then why not say what they’re doing? If it doesn’t change anything, then why do you need to lie about the specifics?

Reaction 2 posted:

Cement won't poison the water. The poisoning isn't from one direct action, but their policies makes the water highly susceptible to becoming undrinkable or even unusable on plants. Attacks on water infrastructure, low water pressure, salinity penetration, leeching of pollutants (sewage, chemicals from bombs, etc) basically in combination creates wide swathes of drinking water reaches the level of impotablity. That's why when they turned the water back on it was an empty gesture, the damaged water infrastructure means it was already going to be contaminated even if you could get it.

Reaction 3 posted:

Excuse me but you're saying pouring cement into water would...NOT poison that water? People would still be able to drink it? This is a baffling claim :psyduck:

Reaction 4 posted:

i would look at someone more skeptically if they quibble whether it's poisoning the water or just letting the water become poison over decades through intentional actions

Author of Wonderful Posts, October 2023 posted:

The water table, though it'll penetrate a wee bit but harden pretty soon. It's an odd way of describing whats happening. They're clearly sealing the well, that is to say denying a water source, rather than poisoning the well, making the water itself impotable but leaving it available.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

apatheticman posted:

Israel has killed UN peacekeepers in Lebanon. The UN wouldn't put peacekeepers in Gaza because they know Israel would just slaughter them and create a PR nightmare for the US.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnIRjpW2bC4

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

you rebought your alt and are interacting with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lumpentroll posted:

you rebought your alt and are interacting with it

I don't know what you're talking about. As a dispassionate observer, I would never touch a subject so controversial. I'm hearing about it for the first time.