Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Lid posted:

the crowd that chanted You Suck Cena and You Suck Bryan during a Bella Twins match

This is the real answer.

Territory crowds still booing heels even after tragedy is one thing, but that was not in kayfabe, had nothing to do with the match, and it took a giant poo poo all over AJ Lee's last match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Should Dave Meltzer be in his own hall of fame?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Dr. Zoggle posted:

Should Dave Meltzer be in his own hall of fame?

Dave already said he'll never put himself on the ballot. What happens after he dies is anyone's guess (I assume Alvarez will honor his request).

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Listening to Dave talk about his #1 and #2 most shameful wrestling crowd displays (1 being a crowd cheering for a heel's death, 2 being the WWE Universe thanking Vince after the WSJ article in 2022), I'm curious what you all would say are the most disgusting crowd reactions?

I suspect we could be here all day with just WWE stuff, like how the crowd cheered Vince's humiliation of Trish in the ring.

Deadlock brought up there being a 97 wcw lucha six man match with ridiculous spots that the crowd chants boring at. I'm not gonna go back and watch 97 wcw, but at face value pretty disgusting.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Defenestrategy posted:

I'm not gonna go back and watch 97 wcw

You are denying yourself worlds of beauty for no reason.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

You are denying yourself worlds of beauty for no reason.

For some reason wcw before poo poo truly went off the rails does not appeal to me.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

For some reason wcw before poo poo truly went off the rails does not appeal to me.

If you're referring to 96~97 WCW, then yeah, same.

For me, it's because basically every episode is the same. WCW wrestlers are booked like loser fuckface nerds, and just about every episode ends with nWo members shoving their sweaty, leathery faces into the camera, trying to shove everyone around them out of the way while looking like Troy McClure as "that one muppet made out of leather" in The Muppets Go Medieval, and because they're all shouting "too sweet" over each other, all I can hear is a cacophony of "Weee! Weee!" like they're doing their best "Ned Beatty in Deliverance" impression.

Even at their most successful, WCW always had an air of poo poo around it, sustained by a few bright spots.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Didn't watch WCW at the time but having watched Nitro from it's beginning to Road Wild '96 (before I binned my Network account) it's pretty fun on the whole.

Although actually thinking about that Road Wild show does remind me of a good example of an awful crowd. Ignoring how dead they were for some fun stuff like Rey vs Ultimo Dragon & Benoit vs Malenko, Harlem Heat did not exactly did a welcoming reception from the crowd of bikers when they faced the Steiners. I'm sure that had no ulterior motive & was purely because the bikers were big Steiner Screwdriver fans

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

edogawa rando posted:

If you're referring to 96~97 WCW, then yeah, same.

My deal is late 99 til close WCW, its like watching someone flip off a motorcycle and start bouncing down a highway.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Defenestrategy posted:

My deal is late 99 til close WCW, its like watching someone flip off a motorcycle and start bouncing down a highway.

It is fascinating how even when there's like a spark of good or interesting stuff in that era they almost immediately kneecap themselves.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

It is fascinating how even when there's like a spark of good or interesting stuff in that era they almost immediately kneecap themselves.

Yea, I like watching it and going "Why?" and trying to figure out logically why theyd make choices.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
People like to romanticize the WCW cruiserweights but my lasting memory of watching those Nitros is, like, Super Calo coming out to absolute crickets and then braining himself on a dive. It wasn't always Eddie vs. Rey.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The undercard might be Ultimo Dragon or it might be The Artist Formerly Known As Prince Iaukea

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

People like to romanticize the WCW cruiserweights but my lasting memory of watching those Nitros is, like, Super Calo coming out to absolute crickets and then braining himself on a dive. It wasn't always Eddie vs. Rey.

But as you said it was always great.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Benne posted:

I recall many opening six man Lucha rules trios matches with random mix of Super Calo, Silver King, El Dandy, and some others. Great match that was too busy for me to follow along with typically. But that got me into watching wrestling after a few years away. Too bad WCW was… WCW.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Super Calo got the hat and the glasses, he's invincible

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

WCW Thunder 2000 is one of my favorite years of programming because of how unhinged and ridiculous it is but I just enjoy old Nitro's vibe as a whole. I don't watch it for the match quality, I watch it for the atmosphere. It's fun!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I want to make something very clear, Super Calo owns

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The trick with Nitro was the energy it had. There’s always the feeling that things are happening, which is something Raw arguably didn’t manage until at least the Attitude Era was properly underway. (And even then WWE has always had the problem that they kinda slide into a status quo.)

Granted once the nWo arrive there is the challenge of how to keep that energy when the long term story is just “they keep winning and taking over”. I’m in early 97 now and there were rough patches in 96, especially when they started doing the Nick Patrick angle, but they got a little better at building up the feeling that they might lose their grip

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

forkboy84 posted:

I'm sure that had no ulterior motive & was purely because the bikers were big Skrewdriver fans

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I remember reading that Super Calo would send other people out in the costume when he didn't want to wrestle and that's really funny because either he convinced some students to get paid for him or he just blamed students any time he had a stinker of a match, either way lol.

When the network came out I started from a little before the NWO formed and watched until The Wolfpac stuff started, had a blast. Loved to watch the bruisers, the brawlers, the lucha guys, and Macho Man was like the coolest dude in the whole company

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I have fondness for the absolute brass balls WCW would have towards the end of the winning streak where they'd have a molten-hot crowd for a show and open it with like Roadblock vs. Kenny Kaos

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Roadblock vs Kenny Kaos is definitely a For The Boys match

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
WCW Monday Nitro opening matches for 1997
1. Beautiful Bobby vs. Glacier
2. Chavo Guerrero vs. Mr. JL
3. Alex Wright vs. Chris Jericho
4. Steiner Brothers vs. Faces of Fear
5. Ultimo Dragon vs. Ray Mendoza Jr.
6. Dean Malenko vs. Eddy Guerrero
7. Rey Mysterio vs. Super Calo
8. Jeff Jarrett & Mongo vs. Public Enemy
9. Jeff Jarrett & Mongo vs. Konnan & Hugh Morrus
10. Jeff Jarrett & Mongo vs. High Voltage
11. Rey Mysterio vs. Psicosis
12. Konnan vs. Dean Malenko
13. Lex Luger & The Giant vs. Rick Fuller & Roadblock
14. Hugh Morrus & Konnan vs. Psicosis & Alex Wright
15. Chris Benoit vs. The Barbarian
16. Yuji Nagata vs. Dean Malenko
17. Price Iuakea vs. Dean Malenko
18. Hugh Morrus & Konnan vs. Public Enemy
19. Ultimo Dragon vs. Juventud Guerrera
20. Prince Iaukea vs. Lord Steven Regal
21. Hector Garza/Juventud Guerrera/Super Calo vs. Ciclope/Damian/La Parka
22. Glacier vs. Alex Wright
23. Ultimo Dragon/Juventud Guerrera/Super Calo vs. Psicosis/Silver King/La Parka
24. Glacier vs. Mortis
25. Public Enemy vs. Damien & La Parka
26. Juventud Guerrera vs. Chris Jericho
27. Harlem Heat vs. Public Enemy
28. Alex Wright vs. Prince Iaukea
29. Konnan vs. Tsubasa
30. Vicious & Delicious vs. Ric Flair & Curt Hennig
31. Mortis vs. Curt Hennig
32. The Outsiders vs. Bobby Starr & David Moore
33. Vicious & Delicious vs. Harlem Heat
34. La Parka & Psicosis vs. Glacier & Ernest Miller
35. Chris Benoit & Mongo vs. Eddy Guerrero & Jeff Jarrett
36. Rey Mysterio vs. Eddy Guerrero
37. Dean Malenko vs. Disco Inferno
38. Silver King vs. Rey Mysterio
39. Diamond Dallas Page vs. Buff Bagwell
40. Booker T. vs. Jeff Jarrett
41. Eddy Guerrero vs. Psicosis
42. Eddy Guerrero vs. Chris Benoit
43. Rey Mysterio vs. Dean Malenko
44. Dean Malenko & Eddy Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio & Steven Regal
45. Harlem Heat vs. Dave Taylor & Steven Regal
46. Meng vs. Glacier
47. Disorderly Conduct vs. Steiners
48. Rey Mysterio vs. Juventud Guerrera
49. Konnan vs. Ray Traylor
50. Vincent vs. Ray Traylor
51. Eddy Guerrero vs. Fit Finlay
52. Bill Goldberg vs. Glacier

A good number of these match-ups sound pretty cool on paper, but don't worry: most of those matches went for under five minutes and ended in a count-out, double DQ, or run-in!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

one of two Nitro matches Disorderly Conduct ever had...

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I don't know if there was a live crowd reaction, but I do know that when Jerry Lawler announced that Andy Kaufman died of lung cancer (because he was actually friends with him and his death shook him up), the Memphis audience's reaction was just "good, gently caress that guy".
At least going by the promo about Andy's death that's on YouTube, that's not true: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_721cDXD-s

Weeks earlier, though, the studio fans DID cheer loudly when Jimmy Hart announced the "death" of the Bruise Brothers (Porkchop Cash and "Dream Machine" Troy Graham): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GsKFvsiDC0

(One of the funniest segments in wrestling history. The only context you need is that the Fabulous Ones had left for the AWA and Hart had pledged to find new Fabulous Ones.)

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

davidbix posted:

(One of the funniest segments in wrestling history. The only context you need is that the Fabulous Ones had left for the AWA and Hart had pledged to find new Fabulous Ones.)
This was fantastic, thank you for sharing.

Barry Scott
Jan 2, 2009
I've seen a few people on here say Dusty was a bad and selfish booker, could anyone give me the run down on that?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The dusty finish is named after him because he'd always book himself to go over but have it be reversed due to being screwed. He always had to look strong and would ensure he went over younger talent, notably Lex Luger, to look strong and would always book himself to beat, and then dusty, over the Four Horsemen.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
This makes me wonder if anyone has won more matches by Dusty Finish than Dusty himself. Who in wrestling has had the most matches overturned after the fact?

Of course, if you can overturn match results, this just raises the question of why they don't do that every time there's video evidence of the loser getting knocked out by a chair, roll of quarters, mannequin head, etc.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah whenever a face wins a title, then the ref gets up and the announcer goes "The referee has decided that the heel is actually DQed for elbowing him five minutes ago" that's a Dusty Finish, he loved that poo poo

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Dusty was into being a loser who couldnt finish a story and passed it onto his son

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Adrenaline
In my soul
Cucking's deep in my genome

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Barry Scott posted:

I've seen a few people on here say Dusty was a bad and selfish booker, could anyone give me the run down on that?

He also hijacked every angle to either include himself or have the participants randomly talk about how cool and tough he was. Anyone who complains about Jericho leeching crowd interest from rising stars should really watch the master at work; Dusty was all over Mid Atlantic TV, often for no good reason.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dusty was hot in Florida in the 70's and early 80's and his booking legit got Crockett super hot in 85/86. Than it fell apart in 87/88 for the reasons listed and whelp

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CombineThresher posted:

He also hijacked every angle to either include himself or have the participants randomly talk about how cool and tough he was. Anyone who complains about Jericho leeching crowd interest from rising stars should really watch the master at work; Dusty was all over Mid Atlantic TV, often for no good reason.

The one that did him in during 1988 and finally got him removed as booker was trying this with the Road Warriors by turning them heel and people absolutely did not want to boo Hawk and Animal at that point even if they took a 'railroad spike' to Dusty because the fans were so tired of him they were probably in favor of it. Why this was the final straw was because TBS had bought JCP at this point and doing an angle with 'heavy color' did not fly for mainstream TV.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Dusty also booked Dustin in WCW. While it wasn't as egregious as many other father/son booking situations it also wasn't ideal.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Dawgstar posted:

The one that did him in during 1988 and finally got him removed as booker was trying this with the Road Warriors by turning them heel and people absolutely did not want to boo Hawk and Animal at that point even if they took a 'railroad spike' to Dusty because the fans were so tired of him they were probably in favor of it. Why this was the final straw was because TBS had bought JCP at this point and doing an angle with 'heavy color' did not fly for mainstream TV.

Fans were probably also sick of him pouting about how popular the Four Horsemen were getting, especially since Dusty's promos were getting incredibly self-indulgent by that point - he bragged about money and women nearly as much as Flair did at the expense of his own working-class persona. Him yelling at a bunch of college kids in suits on Mid Atlantic TV was a low point.

I dunno, Dusty was a creative guy and at point an insanely popular babyface/dynamic performer, but by the mid-80s he was high on his own farts and his matches were boring as poo poo.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Most of this sounds familiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

To be somewhat fair to Dusty by all reports Ric Flair was being an rear end in a top hat in regards to booking input too and refusing programs/jobs.