Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

hard to believe Lpzie is an antisemite but it's right there in the probe reason. indisputable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the anti semitism store called, they're running outta you

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Vox Nihili posted:

We put in a request with the admins to change the probe reason.

you mean you asked fluffdaddy and he canned the PM without reading it lol

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

you mean you asked fluffdaddy and he canned the PM without reading it lol

Nah, there's an admin request thread in the mod forum so any admin could do it. This sort of thing was a lot easier when we had vyelkin around though.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Vox Nihili posted:

Nah, there's an admin request thread in the mod forum so any admin could do it. This sort of thing was a lot easier when we had vyelkin around.

smythe would do it

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

aw frig aw dang it posted:

hard to believe Lpzie is an antisemite but it's right there in the probe reason. indisputable

i believed it easily

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lumpentroll posted:

smythe would do it

he should

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
just heard someone in cspam died

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

just heard someone in cspam died

Keep your antisemitic thought experiments out of here.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

I do not use ChatGPT to write posts. That’s as obscene an accusation as antisemitism.

My workflow is fairly simple,

I keep notes open, so I can dictate or type into a running doccument

and I use references from pdfs on my icloud

Because I’m on my phone, I can’t see if the formatting is weird when using block quotations because some pdfs do not account for different column widths, and indeed the column widths as I see them on an iPhone are far more condensed than what PC users see. Other pdfs do not merge broken words that the editor of the book, either scanned or deliberately published as a pdf, has employed hyphenation for. This is frustrating as you should never do hyphenation manually, obviously, but you have to undo hyphenation manually on iPhone.

So, for smaller quotes I’ll go through myself but for very long ones, or pdfs that are particularly hosed up when highlighted and copied from iPhone into notes, say there’s no spacing between words for pages and pages, I will occasionally use ChatGPT to correct the formatting before double checking it myself. The same goes for other really weird text encoding issues, mostly with text written in foreign languages where the characters - I’m thinking of ß - aren’t recognized correctly. Scans of very old books where ſ is used take forever to clean up. There is also one academic publisher that encodes pdfs in a Caesar cypher, you can imagine what that’s like.

My posts on ChatGPT specifically said it was unusable for what I write, that I’ve tinkered with it and never gotten the results I wanted, other than amusing myself with pastiche, that its academic writing was poor, and that the best result I have gotten out of it was outlines of provided text - which I might skim, but as you can see in my use of long form quotes and paraphrase written in my own voice (or rather spoken when dictated), make no mistake about authorship.

Finally,

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
frosted flakes is posting at a level never seen before

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

Because I’m on my phone, I can’t see if the formatting is weird when using block quotations because some pdfs do not account for different column widths, and indeed the column widths as I see them on an iPhone are far more condensed than what PC users see. Other pdfs do not merge broken words that the editor of the book, either scanned or deliberately published as a pdf, has employed hyphenation for. This is frustrating as you should never do hyphenation manually, obviously, but you have to undo hyphenation manually on iPhone.

btw you might try Drafts instead of Notes: https://getdrafts.com

it is better for plain text, has regex, syntax highlighting; programmable... I have a slightly buggy syntax and action group I wrote for savbb code I could send. people also made custom action groups to de-hyphenate and perform similar transforms useful for OCR.

you can really do a lot on your phone these days. ive used a combo of QuickScan, Drafts, and Shortcuts to OCR an un-OCR'ed, poorly scanned book PDF, clean up the OCR, and add it as a layer back onto it.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

mawarannahr posted:

btw you might try Drafts instead of Notes: https://getdrafts.com

it is better for plain text, has regex, syntax highlighting; programmable... I have a slightly buggy syntax and action group I wrote for savbb code I could send. people also made custom action groups to de-hyphenate and perform similar transforms useful for OCR.

you can really do a lot on your phone these days. ive used a combo of QuickScan, Drafts, and Shortcuts to OCR an un-OCR'ed, poorly scanned book PDF, clean up the OCR, and add it as a layer back onto it.

see, selec, this poo poo is not funny at all

selec
Sep 6, 2003

lumpentroll posted:

see, selec, this poo poo is not funny at all

you can really do a lot on your phone these days

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

true facts stated

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Much appreciated. I'll check those out.

I was thinking of getting a smart pen so I can handwrite notes like normal and it will be transcribed into text in Word or whatever. Does anyone have experience using them?

e: Another upside, if someone looks into my office it would look like I'm writing notes all day instead of loving around on my phone.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
If frosted flakes says he doesn't use chatgpt for his posts, I will start reading his posts again.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

it's been a good day. after dinner I'm gonna pour some whiskey and finish up the last of the panel lining on my model so I can dive into decals tomorrow. with discipline I should be done by the end of next week

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Mr Hootington posted:

If frosted flakes says he doesn't use chatgpt for his posts, I will start reading his posts again.

prove it

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Mr Hootington posted:

:siren::siren::siren:!!!MOD CHALLENGE!!!:siren::siren::siren:

you must summarize all frosted flakes posts for the next week on pain of death

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

i 100% believe FF has never told a lie. his soul is pure and filled with love for the king and christ

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

lobster shirt, thank you

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Buck Wildman posted:

it's been a good day. after dinner I'm gonna pour some whiskey and finish up the last of the panel lining on my model so I can dive into decals tomorrow. with discipline I should be done by the end of next week

What whiskey?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

It is my vacation week. I won't be doing this

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

wow

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Mr Hootington posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gn6nibWKg4

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

What whiskey?

I've got either a Japanese whiskey I can't recall the name of rn or some benriach scotch - not the smokey kind they usually make that I love but still good

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Mr Hootington posted:

I spent my posting vacation doing research for the pop culture thread. If you want to wait until next week, you’ll have more to do. I’m still taking notes on George Bernard Shaw and Lerner and Loewe, for example, but I’ll probably know enough to post next week.

I think Connor Roy may be a Holy Fool in the Arthurian tradition, like Percival. I just need to wait for the hardcopy of T.H. White's Troubled Heart: Women in The Once and Future King that I put in for through work to come in, because Lady Caroline Alexandra Helena St John Collingwood is a good fit for TH White’s mother from what I remember, and so Morgause (or maybe Mordred?). Once I have that, I think the rest will come together.

Succession > Not Shakespeare > What is it then? > Irma la Douce/My Fair Lady/Gigi > Shavian > 19th century marriage and class > Victorian medievalism > Arthurian cycle > The Holy Fool as deserving of love and redemption.

I think what clinched it was the Italy arc in S3, because then I could use The Arthur of the Italians: The Arthurian Legend in Medieval Italian Literature and Culture and I think it works.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 00:47 on Feb 4, 2024

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

I do not use ChatGPT to write posts. That’s as obscene an accusation as antisemitism.

My workflow is fairly simple,

I keep notes open, so I can dictate or type into a running doccument

and I use references from pdfs on my icloud

So, for smaller quotes I’ll go through myself but for very long ones, or pdfs that are particularly hosed up when highlighted and copied from iPhone into notes, say there’s no spacing between words for pages and pages, I will occasionally use ChatGPT to correct the formatting before double checking it myself. The same goes for other really weird text encoding issues, mostly with text written in foreign languages where the characters - I’m thinking of ß - aren’t recognized correctly. Scans of very old books where ſ is used take forever to clean up. There is also one academic publisher that encodes pdfs in a Caesar cypher, you can imagine what that’s like.

My posts on ChatGPT specifically said it was unusable for what I write, that I’ve tinkered with it and never gotten the results I wanted, other than amusing myself with pastiche, that its academic writing was poor, and that the best result I have gotten out of it was outlines of provided text - which I might skim, but as you can see in my use of long form quotes and paraphrase written in my own voice (or rather spoken when dictated), make no mistake about authorship.

Finally,

ik star immediately

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

lobster shirt posted:

actually you do this

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

I spent my posting vacation doing research for the pop culture thread. If you want to wait until next week, you’ll have more to do. I’m still taking notes on George Bernard Shaw and Lerner and Loewe, for example, but I’ll probably know enough to post next week.

I think Connor Roy may be a Holy Fool in the Arthurian tradition, like Percival. I just need to wait for the hardcopy of T.H. White's Troubled Heart: Women in The Once and Future King that I put in for through work to come in, because Lady Caroline Alexandra Helena St John Collingwood is a good fit for TH White’s mother from what I remember, and so Morgause (or maybe Mordred?). Once I have that, I think the rest will come together.

Succession > Not Shakespeare > What is it then? > Irma la Douce/My Fair Lady/Gigi > Shavian > 19th century marriage and class > Victorian medievalism > Arthurian cycle > The Holy Fool as deserving of love and redemption.

I think what clinched it was the Italy arc in S3, because then I could use The Arthur of the Italians: The Arthurian Legend in Medieval Italian Literature and Culture and I think it works.

In summary this post is monarchist drivel.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
if fnln summarized a ff post it'd somehow be longer than the original

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Buck Wildman posted:

What whiskey are you drinking OP? I'm having a go at this: https://bunnahabhain.com/products/toiteach-a-dha

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Dokapon Findom posted:

What whiskey are you drinking OP? I'm having a go at this: https://bunnahabhain.com/products/toiteach-a-dha

Buck Wildman posted:

I've got either a Japanese whiskey I can't recall the name of rn or some benriach scotch - not the smokey kind they usually make that I love but still good

I want to keep reducing my alcohol intake and instead learn to savor smaller glasses like whiskey. feeling p good after adopting a weekend only plan after January

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Frosted Flake posted:

Lol. Welcome back.

Mr Hootington posted:

Just use chatgpt

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
ff is like if cefte never bothered replying to idiots

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

sounds like its time to reread The Once and Future King

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Buck Wildman posted:

I want to keep reducing my alcohol intake and instead learn to savor smaller glasses like whiskey. feeling p good after adopting a weekend only plan after January

I find Japanese whiskey to be very uneven particularly at the higher price points but this is my favorite: https://www.blackwellswines.com/products/iwai-japanese-whiskey-80-proof-750-ml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
someone buy frosted flakes a desktop pc already