Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

It seems like Engoron can’t complete his ruling because new Trump crimes keep getting added to the trial if the reporting is accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
That’s the one cool trick. Keep doing crimes and then they cant have a trial.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Nash posted:

That’s the one cool trick. Keep doing crimes and then they cant have a trial.

It's neat that once you're president, you earn "un-arrestable" status forever

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Murgos posted:

It seems like Engoron can’t complete his ruling because new Trump crimes keep getting added to the trial if the reporting is accurate.

Which reporting is that?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Eric Cantonese posted:

The Archive.ph links often fail on me. I'm not sure why.

Anyway, I found something from a much less prestigious source:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/fani-willis-finally-admits-personal-relationship-with-trump-special-prosecutor-nathan-wade?ref=home?ref=home

What a mess.

EDIT: Thanks to you guys for trying, but I tried clicking on those Archive.ph links and I get an error screen saying "archive.ph unexpectedly closed the connection."

Is this browser dependent?
It's DNS-dependent. Archive.ph hates you if you're using Cloudflare or Google DNS. Why? :iiam:

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's DNS-dependent. Archive.ph hates you if you're using Cloudflare or Google DNS. Why? :iiam:

Cloudflare doesn’t send location info as part of DNS, so archive.ph can’t figure out which IP to serve you so they complain

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Scags McDouglas posted:

In spirit I agree with you but this is especially digestible to the common person as really weird and sketchy, so this toehold is extremely generous rather than the ones they have to usually dig out with a toothpick.

There's the RWM machine and then there's a thing hitting the front page of established media sites that adds a sour note to the entire trial.

Oh for fucks sake we all heard the loving phone call. This is some nothing burger bullshit from the people who aren't even trying to argue that Trump isn't guilty.

It's a red herring aimed at those who have already decided to support Trump no matter what.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Skex posted:

Oh for fucks sake we all heard the loving phone call. This is some nothing burger bullshit from the people who aren't even trying to argue that Trump isn't guilty.

It's a red herring aimed at those who have already decided to support Trump no matter what.

Angrily demanding that it's a nothingburger isn't really a decision you get to make. It looks bad, period- and it could absolutely impact the timeline of the case.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/inside-the-fani-willis-and-nathan-wade-scandal-muddying-georgias-trump-case

quote:

Will this affect the Trump prosecution?

Theoretically it could.

Morgan does not think McAfee will dismiss the Trump case after the Feb. 15 hearing or disqualify Wade or Willis. (If Willis’ office is removed, or if the DA recuses herself, then a state agency would have to appoint another prosecutor.)

But, Morgan said, McAfee could grant an appeal of his ruling on the motion to dismiss, which could put Georgia’s Trump case on hold. “That’s really what’s at stake here. Embarrass the prosecution and delay this case,” he said.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Skex posted:

It's not a nothingburger. There are serious problems with Fani Willis's potential misconduct here that, if true, should get her disqualified. Liz Dye's new Law and Chaos podcast has Andrew Fleischman on to break it down if you're at all interested in why there is a huge problem.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Fart Amplifier posted:

It's not a nothingburger. There are serious problems with Fani Willis's potential misconduct here that, if true, should get her disqualified. Liz Dye's new Law and Chaos podcast has Andrew Fleischman on to break it down if you're at all interested in why there is a huge problem.

I mean, it's not like Andrew Fleischman is a neutral party in all of this, as he has a specific grudge against Fani. Considering the other lawyers I've seen who go "This is literally a 0% issue for Fani in the court." I'd be more inclined to believe them than the guy who has posted 50 articles called "The Case Against Fani Willis?" in the past six months, long before anything ever came up.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kchama posted:

I mean, it's not like Andrew Fleischman is a neutral party in all of this, as he has a specific grudge against Fani. Considering the other lawyers I've seen who go "This is literally a 0% issue for Fani in the court." I'd be more inclined to believe them than the guy who has posted 50 articles called "The Case Against Fani Willis?" in the past six months, long before anything ever came up.

By precedent and standard procedure, it should not matter; as has been pointed out, there have been cases with married attorneys representing counterparties in cases and it was deemed a non-issue.

It's possible that Trump's Insanity Field makes it an issue, but for literally anyone else's case, it wouldn't be.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

By precedent and standard procedure, it should not matter; as has been pointed out, there have been cases with married attorneys representing counterparties in cases and it was deemed a non-issue.

It's possible that Trump's Insanity Field makes it an issue, but for literally anyone else's case, it wouldn't be.

Fleischman’s going for the “she was intentionally extending the investigation as long as possible to pay her husband more” which is why I think he’s kind of not being particularly neutral here.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Kchama posted:

Fleischman’s going for the “she was intentionally extending the investigation as long as possible to pay her husband more” which is why I think he’s kind of not being particularly neutral here.

Yeah its a pure insanity argument and I question anyone that takes anything he says at face value.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Kchama posted:

You're being dishonest.

He didn't make the argument that she was intentionally extending the investigation. He explained the reason that conflict of interest violations are important is because a conflict of interest makes it impossible to trust that a person will act in the best interest of their client (the public in this case).

The “she was intentionally extending the investigation as long as possible to pay Wade more” AAs given as a possible example

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fart Amplifier posted:

You're being dishonest.

He didn't make the argument that she was intentionally extending the investigation. He explained the reason that conflict of interest violations are important is because a conflict of interest makes it impossible to trust that a person will act in the best interest of their client (the public in this case).

The “she was intentionally extending the investigation as long as possible to pay Wade more” AAs given as a possible example

The problem with this reasoning is that the prosecutor doesn't have to prove they are acting properly in order to gain public trust; public trust is presumed from the fact that they're the prosecutor.
Prosecutors, again, are supposed to be biased against the defendants. The presumptions are all extraordinarily strongly in their favor.

Think of it like asking "what if the executioner were married to the judge? Might that make him too zealous in his executions?" uhh . . .maybe, but that's not exactly a problem, once you've accepted the premise that an executioner exists.

For this to be an issue, the defense attorney would have to prove the prosecutor was not acting in the best interest of the public. The prosecutor gets the benefit of the doubt and the presumption here, the defense doesn't.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Fart Amplifier posted:

You're being dishonest.

He was the one who created that example out of nothing. I can’t find anyone else saying that. And if that’s the best you got, then you got nothing. He was arguing that if you could come up with ANY possible conflict of interest then the trial must be redone.

Also it’s just weird that it’s a conflict of interest for the prosecutor and an investigator working for the prosecutor to be married. They’re on the same side! Where is the conflict?

Kchama fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 4, 2024

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kchama posted:

He was the one who created that example out of basically nothing, and if that’s the best you got, then you got nothing. And he was arguing that if you could come up with ANY possible conflict of interest then the trial must be redone.
Oh hey my sixer just expired.

Fleischman’s been critical of making it a RICO case in the first place, even before any of these allegations came out. I think in terms of public trust, the DA is assumed to make decisions in the
best interest of the public. I don't know Georgia law, but in his opinion the case is very strong and a conviction could've been achieved much faster and easier without making an enormous RICO mess.

Also I don't recall him saying anything about requiring a mistrial.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 4, 2024

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

mobby_6kl posted:

Fleischman’s been critical of making it a RICO case in the first place, even before any of these allegations came out. I think in terms of public trust, the DA is assumed

Well yeah i think the

oh no, they got mobby

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

The problem with this reasoning is that the prosecutor doesn't have to prove they are acting properly in order to gain public trust; public trust is presumed from the fact that they're the prosecutor.

They lose that trust if there is a conflict of interest.

Prosecutors, again, are supposed to be biased against the defendants. The presumptions are all extraordinarily strongly in their favor.

The issue isn't being biased against the defendant. The issue is that her interest is conflicted between Wade/herself and her client, the public. I feel like this has been explained to death in this thread

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

mobby_6kl posted:

Fleischman’s been critical of making it a RICO case in the first place

I haven't dug into that but it wouldn't surprise me if he's right on that point. Fani Willis's prior major claim to fame was using RICO to beat up a bunch of underpaid teachers while letting the people at the top of the chain who made them fudge test results off scott free (because of a cancer diagnosis that made them functionally nonprosecutable, but nevertheless, still, beating up teachers).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Staluigi posted:

oh no, they got mobby
Forum cops :argh:

Also I accidentally hit post while in the middle of typing poo poo and you caught me before I fixed it :v:

E: I think nobody here, or even Fleischman, wants to see Trump wiggle out of this one. But I find it helpful to consider some of the worse possible outcomes rather than just pretend there's nothing there. Like I'm pretty sure if she was going after Bernie, suddenly all of this would be suddenly grossly inappropriate behavior.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 4, 2024

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Kchama posted:

Also it’s just weird that it’s a conflict of interest for the prosecutor and an investigator working for the prosecutor to be married. They’re on the same side! Where is the conflict?

The conflict of Willis's interest is between Wade and the public.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Fleischman’s been critical of making it a RICO case in the first place, even before any of these allegations came out. I think in terms of public trust, the DA is assumed to make decisions in the
best interest of the public. I don't know Georgia law, but in his opinion the case is very strong and a conviction could've been achieved much faster and easier without making an enormous RICO mess.

Also I don't recall him saying anything about requiring a mistrial.

“Just as here, the guilt or innocence of those accused was irrelevant. The conflict of interest required a new trial.”

Direct quote from an article he wrote, suggesting that the idea of a conflict of interest being possible meant that it required a new trial in this case here too.

Fart Amplifier posted:

The conflict of Willis's interest is between Wade and the public.

That doesn’t really seem the kind to require a new trial entirely, since it doesn’t seem to be actually negatively affecting the case or Trump, even if there was anything. There’s a reason why prosecutors being married or lawyers in general doesn’t auto-cause a case retrial.

mobby_6kl posted:

Forum cops :argh:

Also I accidentally hit post while in the middle of typing poo poo and you caught me before I fxied it :v:

E: I think nobody here, or even Fleischman, wants to see Trump wiggle out of this one. But I find it helpful to consider some of the worse possible outcomes rather than just pretend there's nothing there. Like I'm pretty sure if she was going after Bernie, suddenly all of this would be suddenly grossly inappropriate behavior.

I saw it, too.

Also he was drooling at the prospect of the case being thrown out, hoping that his preferred prosecutor would get the case as a “best case” result.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Fart Amplifier posted:

They lose that trust if there is a conflict of interest.

The issue isn't being biased against the defendant. The issue is that her interest is conflicted between Wade/herself and her client, the public. I feel like this has been explained to death in this thread

It doesn't create an actual conflict because there is no expectation from the public that prosecutors will be unbiased or neutral. It's an adversarial system. There's a presumption that all prosecutors will be zealously prosecuting alleged crimes. That's what they're supposed to do.

So, for example, dragging out a case with extra hard prosecution isn't a problem . . . because prosecutors are supposed to be zealously prosecuting. The only potential conflict(s) between Willis and and her duty to the public would be if either

1) she was prosecuting a frivolous case that was such junk it should be dismissed, for purely political reasons -- this is what Trump thinks she's doing, over-zealous prosecutiong, but she's not, because there's ample evidence of actual crimes, or

2) she was appointing incompetent people to run the case out of bias, or otherwise not prosecuting the case as hard as she should be, lack of zealous prosecution. This is what was initially alleged, but since she hired the dude before they started dating, she's in the clear on that.

It's not enough (if we're adhering to established law or precedent at all, which is never a given when trump is involved, but still) to just wave your hands in the air and go "oh poo poo, that sure sounds bad?! Dismiss prosecutor maybe?!?!?!?" Disqualification doesn't work like that. Sure, there theoretically could be a conflict between Willis's actions and her duty to the public, but based on all the facts as alleged, there isn't actually any such actual conflict at this point.

If someone turns up a smoking gun email or something where Willis wrote "hey baby want a sweet gig fake prosecuting trump? you can pay me in dick!!!" then that would be a problem, yes. But unless and until the defense attorneys turn up such an email, they're (probably) poo poo out of luck. It's not enough just to allege a potential theoretical conflict; the defense attorney has to provide actual evidence of actual bias.

edit:

I think I mentioned this up thread, but I actually got a prosecutor reassigned away from one of my clients once. I did it once in four years as a PD. The prosecutor was giving my client a poo poo offer and while we were emailing back and forth she wrote "I hate this fucker and he just needs to plead" in an email. Now, by law, she was in the clear; she's *allowed* to hate my client. That's kindof her actual job! But because I could've used it to argue over-zealous prosecution (my guy's charges were *really* weak, like profoundly "this should be dismissed" weak), the prosecutor's boss agreed that it was a bad look and reassigned it to a different prosecutor (who gave him the plea I wanted).

Here, let's say Fani Willis writes in an email to her boyfriend "hey baby, I hate donald trump and I can't wait to convict him." The defense team would need to *get* that email. Then they'd need to argue it was evidence Willis was unfairly prosecuting Trump on poo poo charges. Fani Willis doesn't have a boss to persuade, she is the boss, so they'd have to go to a judge. Willis would go "lol, I have a literal mountain of evidence, motherfucker did the RICO, these aren't poo poo charges, i can hate him as much as I want" and the judge (assuming a non-MAGA-brained judge) would throw out the defense motion immediately.

I mean we can't assume anything because a MAGA-brained judge might take this as an excuse to throw poo poo out, sure. But with such a judge he'd never get convicted anyway because the judge would just be looking for an excuse.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 4, 2024

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I’ll note that in his article his example of a conflict of interest that got the trial restarted was of a judge and a prosecutor who were having a secret, illicit relationship. But that’s different from this situation.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Kchama posted:

I’ll note that in his article his example of a conflict of interest that got the trial restarted was of a judge and a prosecutor who were having a secret, illicit relationship. But that’s different from this situation.

Oh yeah that'd do it! But in that case it would be a conflict for the judge primarily, though the prosecutor would also be failing in duty to disclose (so that the defense could make a motion to recuse the judge based on the relationship).

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
If we’re lucky we only have about 2 more weeks of this nonsense and McAfee will rule and that will be that.

Based on the current information there is no reason to disqualify Wade much less Willis from the case so until something new comes up I’m not sweating this one.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

It doesn't create an actual conflict because there is no expectation from the public that prosecutors will be unbiased or neutral. It's an adversarial system. There's a presumption that all prosecutors will be zealously prosecuting alleged crimes. That's what they're supposed to do.

So, for example, dragging out a case with extra hard prosecution isn't a problem . . . because prosecutors are supposed to be zealously prosecuting. The only potential conflict(s) between Willis and and her duty to the public would be if either

1) she was prosecuting a frivolous case that was such junk it should be dismissed, for purely political reasons -- this is what Trump thinks she's doing, over-zealous prosecutiong, but she's not, because there's ample evidence of actual crimes, or

2) she was appointing incompetent people to run the case out of bias, or otherwise not prosecuting the case as hard as she should be, lack of zealous prosecution. This is what was initially alleged, but since she hired the dude before they started dating, she's in the clear on that.
The DA is, obviously, supposed to want to lock him up, so there's no issue there of course.

But what about 3) "why is she doing this as an extremely expensive and time-consuming RICO case with like 20 defendants as opposed to a another, more effective way of locking him up".

Again, IANAL so I don't know if the defense can bring this up (as it doesn't hurt them), and if a disqualification from the case is a possible or likely outcome. But, I can see how this situation is problematic at least, and some actual lawyers think it might be a problem. Others see to disagree though :v:

If I remember the last episode of Law & Chaos, her position is elected too (:wtf:) so I think that might introduce even more complications.

Kchama posted:

Kchama posted:

“Just as here, the guilt or innocence of those accused was irrelevant. The conflict of interest required a new trial.”

Direct quote from an article he wrote, suggesting that the idea of a conflict of interest being possible meant that it required a new trial in this case here too.
Thanks for the quote, found the article.

It is a different situation. But looking at that in context, it doesn't seem to say that this case would require a new trial:

quote:

When a Georgia judge was found having sex with a public defender outside the courthouse, the courts did not hesitate to find that this undisclosed sexual contact required new trials for the accused, even if it might have arguably been to their benefit.

Just as here, the guilt or innocence of those accused was irrelevant. The conflict of interest required a new trial.
My interpretation is that he's saying:
a. Like in the Trump case, the innocence or guilt of the accused is not a factor
b. The judge and public defender loving outside the courthouse [lol] required a new trial

Having listened to several of his guest appearances as well as the other lawyers, I don't think a new trial ever came up as a possible remedy. The worst case always seem to be that it gets assigned to a different prosecutor.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Murgos posted:

If we’re lucky we only have about 2 more weeks of this nonsense and McAfee will rule and that will be that.

Based on the current information there is no reason to disqualify Wade much less Willis from the case so until something new comes up I’m not sweating this one.

If you look at my post from further up the page, is there a material danger that McAfee could grant an appeal of his ruling on the motion to dismiss? I'm not really concerned about changes to the long-term outcome but I could see yet another delay in Trump's favor.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Scags McDouglas posted:

If you look at my post from further up the page, is there a material danger that McAfee could grant an appeal of his ruling on the motion to dismiss? I'm not really concerned about changes to the long-term outcome but I could see yet another delay in Trump's favor.

It's not scheduled until August, and it was iffy at that. The preparation can proceed while the appeal is adjudicated. I don't think it's a serious concern.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

mobby_6kl posted:

The DA is, obviously, supposed to want to lock him up, so there's no issue there of course.

But what about 3) "why is she doing this as an extremely expensive and time-consuming RICO case with like 20 defendants as opposed to a another, more effective way of locking him up".

Maybe theoretically but like she's got a proven track record of RICO convictions and other defendants have pled. She's also been moving faster than Trumps federal charges. And she's the prosecutor and has prosecutorial discretion.

I mean if the judge wants to make it a thing because of Maga bullshit then, sure, suddenly anything can be an issue. But assuming law and precedent holds and there aren't any significant unrevealed facts, this shouldn't matter beyond maybe a few weeks of delay.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Scags McDouglas posted:

This would be an interlocutory appeal and those are almost never available. Otoh Trump is pursuing one in his federal cases arguing presidential immunity. So whoooooo can say

Again any other defendant would have been in jail years ago. So we can say what should happen but there's always the Trump Bullshit factor that can't be planned for.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

You just keep refusing to read. I don't know how much more simply it can be explained.

The conflict is not about her prosecution of Trump. The conflict is her using her public position to benefit her lover and herself.

This is not directly even related to the case. It's an allegation of Willis potentially defrauding the public. It just happens that these allegations are extremely relevant to the defendant's case. Paying your secret lover hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars is at the very least the appearance of a conflict of interest.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fart Amplifier posted:

You just keep refusing to read. I don't know how much more simply it can be explained.

The conflict is not about her prosecution of Trump. The conflict is her using her public position to benefit her lover and herself.

This is not directly even related to the case. It's an allegation of Willis potentially defrauding the public. It just happens that these allegations are extremely relevant to the defendant's case. Paying your secret lover hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars is at the very least the appearance of a conflict of interest.

There's no evidence that she did anything of the sort. She hired him several times before, he'd done excellent work.

She hired him for this case before there was a relationship. His pay was the same as two other lawyers she hired. There is no conflict, not even the appearance of one. You're just making poo poo up.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

There's no evidence that she did anything of the sort.

The evidentiary hearing has not occurred yet.

Deteriorata posted:

She hired him for this case before there was a relationship. His pay was the same as two other lawyers she hired. There is no conflict, not even the appearance of one. You're just making poo poo up.

Even if proven that the relationship started after the time of hiring, it's still at the very least an appearance of conflict of interest. Keeping it secret and accusing people who question it for being racist make it appear more to be a conflict of interest.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Fart Amplifier posted:

Even if proven that the relationship started after the time of hiring, it's still at the very least an appearance of conflict of interest.

Only to people who have a vested interest in alleging a conflict of interest.

quote:

Keeping it secret and accusing people who question it for being racist make it appear more to be a conflict of interest.

Conflicts of interest aren't feelings or appearances. Either they exist, or they don't.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Fart Amplifier posted:

Can you please stop accusing those who disagree with you of bad faith (refusing to read) or explicit dishonesty? I like that this thread (on its better days) is one of the better places for finding, understanding, and discussing Trump Legal news. People who are engaging and contributing deserve better than that poo poo because they happen to disagree with you or the podcast you cited in support of your view.

Here's a couple relevant quotes from Eisen, Vance, and Painter's analysis of the topic (posted more than a week ago ITT). Emphasis mine:

quote:

Under Georgia law, “[t]here are two generally recognized grounds for disqualification of a prosecuting attorney. The first such ground is based on a conflict of interest, and the second ground has been described as ‘forensic misconduct.'” Williams v. State, 258 Ga. 305, 314, 369 S.E.2d 232, 238 (1988). There is no allegation of “forensic misconduct” in this prosecution. A conflict of interest may arise when the prosecutor has “acquired a personal interest or stake in the defendant’s conviction.” Id. “[A] conflict of interest requires more than a theoretical or speculative conflict. An actual conflict of interest must be involved.” Ventura v. State, 346 Ga. App. 309, 311, 816 S.E.2d 151, 154 (2018) (quoting Whitworth v. State, 275 Ga. App. 790, 793 (1)(b), 622 S.E.2d 21 (2005)).

Georgia appellate courts have recognized several discrete categories of conflicts of interest for the purposes of prosecutorial disqualification. First and most commonly, a conflict of interest has “been held to arise where the prosecutor previously has represented the defendant with respect to the offense charged.” Williams, 258 Ga. at 314, 369 S.E.2d at 238. See also Lamb v. State, 267 Ga. 41, 42, 472 S.E.2d 683, 685 (1996) (“[A] conflict of interest would arise if a defense attorney were to ‘switch sides’ and prosecute his former client.”); Frazier v. State, 257 Ga. 690, 693(9), 362 S.E.2d 351 (1987). Second, a prosecutor may be disqualified if he is a fact witness in the case against the defendant. McLaughlin v. Payne, 295 Ga. 609, 614, 761 S.E.2d 289, 294 (2014). Third, a conflict of interest may arise due to the prosecutor’s relationship with a victim. See Battle v. State, 301 Ga. 694, 698, 804 S.E.2d 46, 51 (2017) (“[A] conflict of interest or the appearance of impropriety from a close personal relationship with the victim may be grounds for disqualification of a prosecutor.”); Head v. State, 253 Ga. App. 757, 757, 560 S.E.2d 536, 537 (2002). Fourth, a conflict of interest leading to disqualification exists when a special prosecutor is compensated by a contingency fee that is paid only if a conviction is secured, because that fee arrangement creates “at least the appearance of a conflict of interest between his public duty to seek justice and his private right to obtain compensation for his services.” Greater Georgia Amusements, LLC v. State, 317 Ga. App. 118, 122, 728 S.E.2d 744, 747 (2012) (physical precedent only). See also Amusement Sales, Inc. v. State, 316 Ga. App. 727, 736, 730 S.E.2d 430, 438 (2012) (adopting reasoning of Greater Georgia Amusements to hold that “disqualification was warranted in light of the SADAs having a personal financial stake in the outcome” due to contingency fee arrangement).
[...]
Wade’s hourly compensation as a Special Prosecutor does not give rise to a conflict of interest because that fee arrangement does not create a financial incentive for Wade to seek conviction rather than justice. Georgia law expressly contemplates that district attorneys may appoint lawyers in private practice as special prosecutors who may be compensated for their work. Ga. Unif. Super. Ct. R. 42.1 (“Special assistant district attorneys appointed by the district attorney including attorneys from personnel of public agencies may prosecute criminal cases.”). See Isaacs v. State, 259 Ga. 717, 722, 386 S.E.2d 316, 322 (1989)

Under this framework (which I believe to be correct, despite feeling about Vance roughly how Fleischman feels about Willis, which is also roughly how I feel about Willis), your definition of conflict of interest does not apply for disqualification. It may jeopardize her under Georgia law (by my read it's a probable felony in California for instance) but that may not be (definitely is not, per the authors linked above) the same standard or question for disqualification.

It's irresponsible (to the extent any of us have a responsibility to other goons ITT) to post with absolute certainty when it's unwarranted. This has come up before with an absolute certainty that Trump couldn't possibly be disqualified from the ballot without a criminal conviction.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Fart Amplifier posted:

I'm reading your posts. I just have actual real world direct experience with this issue, and I happen to actually know that the things you are saying are not correct.

The alleged conflict of interest would have to be proven to have any direct impact on the case, or to force a change in prosecutor. Someone would have to convince an actual judge that something specific had actually happened, with receipts.

Appointing your boyfriend to be a prosecutor is not necessarily an actual conflict of interest. It might create an appearance of wrongdoing, but that's not the same as proof of wrongdoing, and the latitude allowed prosecutors, especially chief prosecutors, to hire and fire and prosecute and dismiss is extremely wide. That's why there are terms like "prosecutorial immunity" and "prosecutorial discretion."

You have to stop thinking about this like a normal person and think about this by the "what would it take to get a cop charged with a crime" standard. Prosecutors are on the other side of the thin blue line from the rest of us, over there with the people who shoot unarmed kids and get away with it. It takes *proof* to get them in trouble, proof of actual specific real wrongdoing (e.g., specifically deliberately knowingly sabotaging the case), not just allegations.

Paracaidas posted:

Here's a couple relevant quotes from Eisen, Vance, and Painter's analysis of the topic (posted more than a week ago ITT). Emphasis mine:

Under this framework (which I believe to be correct, despite feeling about Vance roughly how Fleischman feels about Willis, which is also roughly how I feel about Willis), your definition of conflict of interest does not apply for disqualification. It may jeopardize her under Georgia law (by my read it's a probable felony in California for instance) but that may not be (definitely is not, per the authors linked above) the same standard or question for disqualification.

It's irresponsible (to the extent any of us have a responsibility to other goons ITT) to post with absolute certainty when it's unwarranted. This has come up before with an absolute certainty that Trump couldn't possibly be disqualified from the ballot without a criminal conviction.

This on the other hand, yeah, this is how it works. And yeah there's no absolute certainty in anything involving Trump because MAGA judges can always go off script.

The linked analysis looks solid but it was written before Willis testified that the relationship started after the hiring and that travel expenses were split mutually, which were the only slivers of an issue worth worrying about.

see, e.g.,

quote:

If it were otherwise, Georgia law would look into the expenses of marital couples who work together on prosecutorial teams, but as discussed above that is a non-starter when it comes to a legal basis for claiming a true conflict of interests.
https://www.justsecurity.org/91368/why-fani-willis-is-not-disqualified-under-georgia-law/

Prosecutors are allowed to bang each other while they prosecute people. Like, it's *common*. Half the prosecutors I used to go up against were banging each other. It is not a conflict in any way and does not impact the prosecutor's duty to anybody at all, public or private.

All that said, if new facts come out (like a video of Fani Willis saying "I am gonna lie a lot on the stand about all this") or if we get a MAGA judge then all bets are off. But as this story stands now, it *should* be fuckin' dead.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 4, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
For context, a tale:

One senior prosecutor (like, #3 in the office) I know of used to keep getting kicked out of restaurants for having sex in the bathrooms with his subordinates. While married. And not to any of the subordinates

Completely public knowledge

Nothing happened to anybody except one of the subordinates got a job out of town (which frankly wasn't fair to her). And the senior prosecutor got disqualified when he ran for judicial office a couple years later. Still a prosecutor though. Nothing happened to any of his cases. Not even the public indecency ones.

Prosecutors are cops. They don't get in trouble for the things other people would get in trouble for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Fart Amplifier posted:

To get disqualified from Trump's case, it has to be about Trump's case. Hiring someone you're loving might be unethical, but unethical conduct isn't grounds to get disqualified from a case unless it specifically affects that case.

The Trump team has to be able to show that her relationship with Wade would cause her to act differently or treat the case differently than she would otherwise. If she was going to prosecute Trump regardless, and she was going to pursue RICO regardless, and she was going to hire a special prosecutor regardless, then hiring a guy she's loving doesn't really affect Trump's case. It's unethical for other reasons, but it's not unethical in a way that actually affects Trump's case.

That's why Trump's team is trying to suggest that Willis only brought in a special prosecutor to enrich her lover, and that's why Willis is insisting that the relationship didn't start until after the hiring - the important question here is not "is this unethical?" but rather "did Willis treat the case differently because of this unethical conduct?".