Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
As in best Df1 properties-wise or best df1 chains? I do miss Kazumi's crazy oppressive df1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Yeah strong df1s like kazumi. I wanna just jab,df1 and d4 people to death lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Just encountered a bug in ranked where it would not recognize my r2 button at all until i relaunched the game. Fun way to lose. Hope it was a fluke.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

poe meater posted:

Yeah strong df1s like kazumi. I wanna just jab,df1 and d4 people to death lol

Reina has a bit of a df1 game since it has multiple follow ups: 1,1 quick attack to check them, 1,2 unsafe headbutt to punish ducks, and of course hold forward to go into stance which is its own can of worms. It's got a little bit of that Kazumi feel to it. She also has huge range on her df1 compared to most fighters.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Wasn't sure about picking this up since I haven't really played a 3D fighter since like, Soul Calibur 3, and I've never got into the weeds with knowing frames and plus and minus on block and all the technical stuff... but a bunch of friends were playing it so I bit the bullet.

Gotta say I'm having a blast so far. Playing as Lee mainly - he has some nice mixups, some real fast kicks etc. - he's a lot of fun. I've even started winning some online matches - I'm up to like 45k Tekken Prowess, though I have no idea how good a player that actually means I am. Feels like I still have a lot to learn, but I'm having fun.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Nice Van My Man posted:

Feng stuff...

Having a safe mid high damage launcher used to be nice.

I'm probably just missing something because I'm new/a scrub, but isn't his df3 exactly that?

Only -7 mid launch that as a scrub I can easily get a 67 damage combo off without a wall or heat or whatever.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Feng feels really good in this edition and I have enough "messing around with Feng in T7" skill to adapt quickly. I'll keep bouncing around characters til eddy but he's suited me the best so far. I was winning at a decent clip with Xiaoyu but a lot of times it felt like a struggle and Azucena is fun and I did well with her too but didn't click completely. I think the only others Ill try before Eddy is in the game are Lee and maybe Bryan.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

great big cardboard tube posted:

I'm probably just missing something because I'm new/a scrub, but isn't his df3 exactly that?

Only -7 mid launch that as a scrub I can easily get a 67 damage combo off without a wall or heat or whatever.

Oh yeah, for some reason I always forget about that one even though it's great. You just have to be so darn close with it, I preferred abusing 2~1. I should really put it back into my move list.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I've watched a few getting started videos but one thing I'm still super confused on is the dash on heat engage when you land a move that just does it automatically. Your opponent is actually safe I've gathered but you maybe have a mixup opportunity or?

Playing Feng I've started just using the sprint up to command grab 1+2 break but that seems very very wrong even though my low level opponents eat it like 95% of the time.

Like say I b3+4 sway into 2, heat auto engages I auto sprint and then... What's the deal really?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Autsj posted:

This is not fully true. There is a leverless trick for electrics, but that one itself actually requires quite a bit of practice to do in an actual match, and it only works on one side unless you have specifically placed, extra movement buttons. It's nice for a video demo. The motion of a kbd is very easy on leverless, but it is actually pretty easy on any controller. Getting it tight and fast is the real story and that requires a lot of practice and training of the fingers (regardless of controller).

I cant reliably ewgf or kbd on stick despite using one for over a decade, and had both absolutely down easy after less than a half hour trying a hitbox

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I've watched a few getting started videos but one thing I'm still super confused on is the dash on heat engage when you land a move that just does it automatically. Your opponent is actually safe I've gathered but you maybe have a mixup opportunity or?

Playing Feng I've started just using the sprint up to command grab 1+2 break but that seems very very wrong even though my low level opponents eat it like 95% of the time.

Like say I b3+4 sway into 2, heat auto engages I auto sprint and then... What's the deal really?

You're something like +17 on hit with heat engage in that situation

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Spuckuk posted:

You're something like +17 on hit with heat engage in that situation

Is that after the sprint? Like anything 17 or faster will connect no matter how far they were knocked back and my character had to sprint? It hasn't seemed that way but I'm definitely guilty of just queuing back up instead of properly labbing, I just block after people heat engage and I've never taken another hit off it but it's entirely possible it's cause I'm bad and the people I fight are bad.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Spuckuk posted:

I cant reliably ewgf or kbd on stick despite using one for over a decade, and had both absolutely down easy after less than a half hour trying a hitbox

I'm eager to hear your tips and secrets: I can do both on stick no real problem but I switched over to a leverless when SF6 came out and despite 2 weeks of practice I can do neither good enough to rely on in an actual game.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Is that after the sprint? Like anything 17 or faster will connect no matter how far they were knocked back and my character had to sprint? It hasn't seemed that way but I'm definitely guilty of just queuing back up instead of properly labbing, I just block after people heat engage and I've never taken another hit off it but it's entirely possible it's cause I'm bad and the people I fight are bad.

They can still block

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Autsj posted:

I'm eager to hear your tips and secrets: I can do both on stick no real problem but I switched over to a leverless when SF6 came out and despite 2 weeks of practice I can do neither good enough to rely on in an actual game.

Theres a few youtube videos out there. Its mostly a rythmn thing.

Im thinking about building a crossup stick which is the best of both worlds

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

Skjorte posted:

I customized my main for the first time since launch day, and when I went back into Ranked and picked the new costume, my next fight had me locked into the special control thingymajig where every button does something completely different than normally. And heat engage did not exist, because I'd removed it as a shortcut in my controller setup on day one. I still beat the garyu-ranked Hwoarang I was matched against though, so now I know the key to that matchup is to forget every move and setup I've ever learned.

I ran into this exact same stupid bug as well.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Autsj posted:

:same: when I use my hitbox as well

For me the problem is doing it way, way too fast for kbd though and just not going anywhere

I prefer an actual lever anyway though so it works out for me lol

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Audax posted:

I ran into this exact same stupid bug as well.

This has happened to me a couple of times, but most of the time I catch it in the practice mode. Pretty annoying, and such a weird glitch.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
In the past week I have successfully ducked a high in a string, launch punished a launch punishable low, blocked a snake edge, and sidestepped to get out of a trap

:unsmith:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Nice Van My Man posted:

This has happened to me a couple of times, but most of the time I catch it in the practice mode. Pretty annoying, and such a weird glitch.

Same. The bug resets when you exit the menus after changing controller presets.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 3, 2024

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Only controller bug I had was somehow getting stuck with my lever in right stick mode (this might also be a brooks board shortcut I didn't know)

Luckily I was just customizing my character at the time so it didn't really matter

inthesto posted:

In the past week I have successfully ducked a high in a string, launch punished a launch punishable low, blocked a snake edge, and sidestepped to get out of a trap

:hellyeah:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

inthesto posted:

Learning how to do this stuff in T6 felt like I was healing the inner child who had to eat his big cousin's Tekken 3 bullshit for days on end every summer

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Totally contrary to these positive developments, I'm about to learn to be totally ignorant and gorilla because tbh where I'm at, bottom of the heap, trying to be defensive in Tekken feels like a good way to get murdered when I inevitably fail to dash or side step or whatever lol.

Still looking for a main. Feng and Nina and Leroy are really fun to mess with. That b1 Feng has is ridiculous and seems like it would really annoy people.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 3, 2024

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Playing defense isn't always about blocking a lot. Sometimes it's being on offense and attacking and recognizing your opponents habits after blocking and countering. If your opponent likes mashing jabs after a string you can duck it, and if your opponent loves swinging out punishable stuff, blocking is great. There's just lots of times where mashing attacks to never defend is gonna lose to someone also mashing attacks to never defend

Edit: for the record this is like day 3 of my first Tekken game so this is me talking about my experience also being a masher

Glagha fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 3, 2024

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I gotta work on a wall carry with paul. Im doing my big boy combo in open space getting 50% but blasting them away from me so its back to neutral, im out of heat, and i lose cause i get wall carried myself and trapped.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I gotta go through lili's strings and check plus frames

Working on picking a few strings to focus on integrating each match, but know my plus frames where I can get them would do a lot for my game plan :hmmyes:

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

unattended spaghetti posted:

Totally contrary to these positive developments, I'm about to learn to be totally ignorant and gorilla because tbh where I'm at, bottom of the heap, trying to be defensive in Tekken feels like a good way to get murdered when I inevitably fail to dash or side step or whatever lol.

Still looking for a main. Feng and Nina and Leroy are really fun to mess with. That b1 Feng has is ridiculous and seems like it would really annoy people.

Here's some things I've found about beating people at lower ranks.

1. Do not play "fair". Abuse the stupid poo poo your character has. Tekken 8 rewards aggression heavily and until they prove they can beat your offense. JDCR said "don't play high level Tekken with yourself". Create a simple game plan for your offense and run it over and over until it stops working. Ironically, once your offense is structured and effective, it's easier to think about defense because you're not dedicating as much active thinking about offense.

2. Find a plus on block mid that's rewarding to hit them with. Dragunov fff2, Reina ff2~f, Victor ff1+2, etc.

3. Frame trap them after your plus mid until they show they can deal with it. Do you have a good CH launcher? Hit that button. Lower rank players love to mash.

4. Once they show they're respecting your plus mids, now you get to use movement, throws, and lows.

5. Always rematch and analyze your own play. The replay system in this game is incredible, and you will learn defense when you review situations that you get caught by and lab them out. Over enough time that will build good defensive habits with practice.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

interrodactyl posted:

Here's some things I've found about beating people at lower ranks.

1. Do not play "fair". Abuse the stupid poo poo your character has. Tekken 8 rewards aggression heavily and until they prove they can beat your offense. JDCR said "don't play high level Tekken with yourself". Create a simple game plan for your offense and run it over and over until it stops working. Ironically, once your offense is structured and effective, it's easier to think about defense because you're not dedicating as much active thinking about offense.

2. Find a plus on block mid that's rewarding to hit them with. Dragunov fff2, Reina ff2~f, Victor ff1+2, etc.

3. Frame trap them after your plus mid until they show they can deal with it. Do you have a good CH launcher? Hit that button. Lower rank players love to mash.

4. Once they show they're respecting your plus mids, now you get to use movement, throws, and lows.

5. Always rematch and analyze your own play. The replay system in this game is incredible, and you will learn defense when you review situations that you get caught by and lab them out. Over enough time that will build good defensive habits with practice.

gently caress yes this is so helpful. I've been struggling to formulate anything resembling a game plan because of how weird it feels to play. This helps a ton. Thank you.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Brine my beloved gets coached by PhiDX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grlsh1wDjlI

this video is both informative and fun as hell

Basticle fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 3, 2024

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Run through punish training against the new characters too imo. They have some wicked punishable stuff that I wouldn’t have guessed until I was tired of some of the victor bullshit

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

unattended spaghetti posted:

Feng's b1, db3, and uf2 get-out-of-jail-free are all very abusable and annoying moves that make people afraid to attack.

Never played Leroy or Nina. I do know that high level Nina play has some sort of ridiculous constant move cancelation that makes it look like she's glitching out. I hate facing off against high level Ninas because I know they'll be total psychos.

inthesto posted:

One day I hope to not instantly eat a rageart to the face before I can end a match. I'll learn to block them eventually.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/mrsplaystuff/status/1752999764344393998

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

It was nice of her to cover up my name. (kidding, kidding)

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Is there any good (or at least decent) way to out some pressure as Asuka on the lower ranks? It seems I'm totally relying on people doing unsafe stuff or mashing into counterhits, which even at Warrior does not really seem to happen all that often.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

After a week at Strategist (4th Dan) I went to Warrior (9th Dan) in 2 days. feels good man :unsmith:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Randler posted:

Is there any good (or at least decent) way to out some pressure as Asuka on the lower ranks? It seems I'm totally relying on people doing unsafe stuff or mashing into counterhits, which even at Warrior does not really seem to happen all that often.

This may help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4aX5jsRKfc

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Went online for the first time ever with Paul. Got completely washed by a Feng using Special Style, but won 2-1 against a Reina afterward, where I got a little better about breaking throws and remembering "Oh yeah, I have Deathfist".

Speaking of breaking throws, is it a thing where I start to notice which hand they lead with and breaking with that, or is it still kind of a 50-50 thing?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Unlucky7 posted:

Went online for the first time ever with Paul. Got completely washed by a Feng using Special Style, but won 2-1 against a Reina afterward, where I got a little better about breaking throws and remembering "Oh yeah, I have Deathfist".

Speaking of breaking throws, is it a thing where I start to notice which hand they lead with and breaking with that, or is it still kind of a 50-50 thing?

Everyone has generic throws which can be broken with either 1 or 2, and a 1+2 command throw.

Many characters have other command throws with specific breaks and the hands are tells for that. You do have to kinda train to do it on reaction.

King has a bunch of throws which don't obey this logic because he is the King

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

I am not sure if it is my connection but games in the ~60s feel perfect but jumping to the 80s it feels really choppy. Enjoying the game a lot, is there anyway to check disconnect % on your own profile? The first day I crashed so much I'm a bit worried if it carried over, but have not seen anyone with any DC rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

faantastic posted:

I am not sure if it is my connection but games in the ~60s feel perfect but jumping to the 80s it feels really choppy. Enjoying the game a lot, is there anyway to check disconnect % on your own profile? The first day I crashed so much I'm a bit worried if it carried over, but have not seen anyone with any DC rate.

In my experience games with ping over 80 are still pretty decent and games against wifi users are still playable but if they're both of those things it's a loving unplayable nightmare