Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

49th year coming up this month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rappaport posted:

Who was the male lead?

Uh literally Beecher.

I think we're operating under different definitions of progressive (though in surprised "winning a prison fight by humiliating a nazi" isn't progressive by your definition). Like I said, the show broke new ground by placing queer men at the centre of its narrative and by depicting a large range of characters and experiences. But I also think that progress isn't about showing characters in a positive light but rather as complex characters, and that's what the show did.

I think we're gonna have to agree to disagree.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think we're gonna have to agree to disagree.

It's a good show all the same :unsmith:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

Random question - I remember hearing a story about a sitcom from the 90's, possibly 80's, that got cancelled during production of it's third season. But they were still contracted to finish producing the season anyway, so the producers/writers decided to do a whole bunch of weird poo poo with the episodes of that season - does anyone remember what show this was?

Not a sitcom but Rob Lowe had a show called Lyon's Den that got cancelled after like 6 episodes? But it was the hay day of DVD so NBC made them finish out the season so they could market it to DVD market. And they decided to just completely abandon the permise and turn the main character into a Senator who was also a serial killer and just made every weird rear end decision they could.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The show itself is fine but my God is the opening to Masters of the Air completely ridiculous.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

OldSenileGuy posted:

Random question - I remember hearing a story about a sitcom from the 90's, possibly 80's, that got cancelled during production of it's third season. But they were still contracted to finish producing the season anyway, so the producers/writers decided to do a whole bunch of weird poo poo with the episodes of that season - does anyone remember what show this was?

There was a show called Second Chance that was Matthew Perry's first role as the main character. The original premise is that a guy dies in 2011 in a hovercraft accident and they can't decide if he should go to heaven or hell. He's sent back in time to 1987 to help his younger self make better choices. The show did not do well and was retooled for the second season as Boys Will Be Boys, and it focused entirely on Perry's character and his friends goofing around, with the adult version of the main character not being in the show anymore.

Fun fact, that show predicted Muammar Gaddafi as dying on July 29, 2011. His actual death date was October 20, 2011.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

I don't get hit by sadness when actors die, but this one hits hard.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So freaking happy

Apprentice UK is back for 18th season

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Rappaport posted:

It's a good show all the same :unsmith:

Being really into Oz and then the Matrix trilogy and Lost, Harold Perrineau was basically an A list superstar in my eyes for a decade.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

WAAAAALT

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 minutes!
Lost did him wrong

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 minutes!
https://twitter.com/Picklemaddierix/status/1753508529443332419

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The fact he came up with the cheap gimmick himself somehow makes it even better.

One of my favorite Arrested Development scenes is the Burger King one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Y333JkwXQ

The narrator's final line is :kiss:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

The narrator's final line is :kiss:

It sure is!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's awesome I had no idea he came up with that aspect of the character. And he was right, that's so much funnier than some dumbass homoerotic rocky jokes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Other than Perry Mason, Babylon Berlin, and True Detective Season 4, what other solid serialized detective/neo noir shows are worth checking out from the past, say, 5 years?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Other than Perry Mason, Babylon Berlin, and True Detective Season 4, what other solid serialized detective/neo noir shows are worth checking out from the past, say, 5 years?

One of the best mystery/detective shows IMO is The Killing

It had 4 seasons, a phenomenal cast and a really incredible story

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Killing was like 10 years ago

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

The Killing was like 10 years ago

Oops missed the 5 year part :(

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

Bosch

There's a lot of it, but each season is its own story, and Harry really cares

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Mr Inbetween? Not sure it’s exactly what you’re asking but it’s excellent.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I enjoyed Goliath with Billy Bob Thornton which becomes more noir-ish in the last couple seasons

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Does Poker Face count? That's all I think of when I think "modern detective show."

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Someone was watching the Ash show, and somehow I wound up watching From Dusk Til Dawn, and they just had a very mean scene where someone's eyeballs burst into someone's mouth

It's almost as if the Raimi brothers had a thing going on

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Deadloch

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Rappaport posted:

Bosch

Bosch Legacy is pretty loving good too, retired Bosch and his Blue Heeler, Crate and Barrel still getting cameos

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

Monsieur Spade!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

True Detective Season 3?

I’d add first season of The Flight Attendant, though it goes more comedic. You can ignore season 2, though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Second this.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Deadloch loving owns. Is it a noir? I dunno. But it's loving funny and thrilling.

Gimme dat sequel.

Also speaking of cool Australian/Kiwi shows, where's my Creameries Season Three?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Deadloch is so good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Thinking it's got a good chance of making top ten goon shows for the year. Definitely top twenty.

The Kates are just really awesome, and I'm glad they made the transition between doing shows based on their own personalities to doing a show that threaded it all through a fairly complex narrative that was both funny and a good, complex mystery.

I'd like to see what they'd do with a horror movie, actually. The end of their last show tipped a little in that direction, absolutely more funny than scary, kind of like Search Party's final season. But I think Deadloch's shown an interest in doing something a bit more grounded, and I reckon they could go a bit further and do something really scary/funny.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Monsieur Spade!

Ooh, forgot about this. How did it turn out?

Some great suggestions here, folks. Started Deadloch but stopped a few episodes in for no particular reason. Should start that back up.

Was Mob City worth anyone's time?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

feedmyleg posted:

Some great suggestions here, folks. Started Deadloch but stopped a few episodes in for no particular reason. Should start that back up.

Was Mob City worth anyone's time?

Yes. Finish Deadloch. The one detective definitely mellows out after episode 3.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Mrs And Mr Smith is a good time so far. Pretty much what I was hoping for, fun episodic stuff with a blackly comic sensibility.

feedmyleg posted:

Just swell.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Mrs And Mr Smith is a good time so far. Pretty much what I was hoping for, fun episodic stuff with a blackly comic sensibility.

Just swell.

Dave Attell just showing up as a one scene barely any lines character.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Dave Attell just showing up as a one scene barely any lines character.

That's the second time I've heard Dave Attell mentioned today. The first was while watching an old Carl Weathers clip from Arrested Development.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Weirdly enough, even though I’m a fan of The Kate’s I didn’t find Deadloch particularly funny, but as a detective show it was good.

Rappaport posted:

Bosch

I really can’t stand him half the time, but funnily enough it’s because he cares so much that he often turns into a bit of a selfish rear end in a top hat.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Oasx posted:

Weirdly enough, even though I’m a fan of The Kate’s I didn’t find Deadloch particularly funny, but as a detective show it was good.

I really can’t stand him half the time, but funnily enough it’s because he cares so much that he often turns into a bit of a selfish rear end in a top hat.

He might be a drat good cop, but he's still a cop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

I'm excited for the next episode.

That's more than I can say about meeting shows, even the ones I'm watching.